38 replies to this topic

#21 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 1,493 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted October 13, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Oh so only those that win Grammys are talented or Grammys are all that it is about. Kanye didn't single handily change anything. You're all just buying into te image into what he wants you too see. People in twilighvdef deserve stars over Kim k

ap1.png

#22 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 18,367 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 08:59 PM

Oh so only those that win Grammys are talented or Grammys are all that it is about. Kanye didn't single handily change anything. You're all just buying into te image into what he wants you too see. People in twilighvdef deserve stars over Kim k

Never said that. And he did change hip hop. Look at where the genre was before and where it was after

I'm not buying into anything. You're just hating on someone with confidence because you probably have none

And Kim K has had just as much impact on the world of entertainment as the twilight kids. Neither deserve it but if one gets it the other deserves it
Posted Image

#23 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,260 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 14, 2013 - 09:01 AM

Ye change hip-hop?

Disagree, I mean he put his imprint on the game, but I don't view Ye as a game changer for Hip hop

#24 bigvee

bigvee

Superstar

• 7,224 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Shaq

Posted October 14, 2013 - 09:51 AM

^ Do you and or your family hate Turks to this day?

If I hated turks it would be the equivalent to a Jew saying he hated Germans today. Many Armenians actually live in Turkey today.

I think it was a disgusting act of violence by the Turks, as everyone should. Today's Turks aren't my problem though, so I'm not gonna say I hate them. What the Turks of that time did will never be forgotten of Armenians of any generation, but I'm not one of those guys to go around saying I hate an entire race of people.

I will tell you that most Armenians dont share these beliefs with me, so I can understand why you would ask something like that.

Edited by bigvee, October 14, 2013 - 09:54 AM.

LeBron James will NOT leave the Miami Heat.

• 38,821 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 01:07 PM

^ Yeah, even for a quick example, two old popular posters here, especially the female, Vee, LadyV, or LodiesChik (different handles at different times, Armenian) & some other poster by the handle of ProblemCauser or PC (Turkish) never seemed to get along, but even more when Vee found out PC was Turkish. She treated him like [expletive] & totally held a grudge. PC tried to make peace and just kinda laughed at how ridiculous in his opinion it was that she would treat people like him to this day, who had nothing to do with it like crap, but yeah.. that was sorta interesting to see from an outside perspective. That just gave me a tiny little glimpse as to how real a lot of the hate & baggage is to this day between that history.

yo.

#26 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 5,397 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted October 14, 2013 - 01:21 PM

Lol at the kanye haters

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#27 bigvee

bigvee

Superstar

• 7,224 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Shaq

Posted October 14, 2013 - 03:10 PM

I do remember those two but it didn't hit me that they were Armenian-Turkish. Interesting.

If you were in North Hollywood or Glendale and asked an Armenian what they thought of any Turk, you would get a VERY colorful answer.

LeBron James will NOT leave the Miami Heat.

#28 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Off The Bench

• 2,786 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 14, 2013 - 03:18 PM

Kanye didn't change hip hop. Who's to say what the genre is nowadays. Pop culture? I guess, but not everyone buys into what Ye and all those other cats are selling.

He made his mark, which is more than what most anyone can say, but he didn't change hip hop.

#29 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 18,367 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 05:08 PM

Kanye didn't change hip hop. Who's to say what the genre is nowadays. Pop culture? I guess, but not everyone buys into what Ye and all those other cats are selling.

He made his mark, which is more than what most anyone can say, but he didn't change hip hop.

Um hip hop was headed in one direction, Kanye came in and college dropout pushed it in another

This isn't debatable. This isn't whether you like where he pushed it, this is the fact that he pushed it.

He changed hip hop.

Drake, kid cudi, lupe fiasco don't exist or sell anything without Kanye opening the door.

Kanye was undoubtedly a game changer. I don't care if you don't like how he changed it or if some people arent buying what's being sold

Facts are the industry dictates trends in music. After Kanye they wanted more Kanyes. They no longer wanted 50 cents. That's why those guys died off.

Some of you don't look at things from the correct perspective, you look at it through your musical high horse you've invented to sit on. A genre is define by what's selling because what's selling is what's being heard by the masses and what's heard by the masses is what lives on in history

Nobody will remember immortal technique or your run of the mill gangster rapper from who gives a F

Kanyes production is copied and imitated his subject matter as well

Live with it
Posted Image

#30 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Off The Bench

• 2,786 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 14, 2013 - 05:45 PM

Lol no one will remember immortal technique?

You state your opinions as facts, which comes off as pretty obnoxious, and it's not because I disagree with you on this topic.

When you say things like 'a genre is determined by what is selling etc etc' it makes you sound like you're talking out of your ass.

I'll go ahead and end my part in the discussion here because I can go on all day and I'm sure neither of us will change our stance. It's frankly not worth the energy and time.

#31 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 18,367 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 06:53 PM

If you don't understand that a genre is defined by what's selling

Which by the way is the case in every form of entertainment then you are either living in a cave or oblivious in general

Post dark knight every movie studio wanted darker superhero movies, post avengers studios want the larger scale team up movies

This isnt a fact I've made up, this is an existing business strategy that I would think is common knowledge
Posted Image

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,260 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:06 PM

Ye didnt do what ur speaking of bro.

Ye carved out an unique niche for him

South still has music on lock and have for a while

#33 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 5,397 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:57 PM

I agree with last.stand however Kanye wasn't the sole reason rap switched from gangster rap to what it is today.

You could Jay Z had effect on this too. Even a great like HOV changed his style to the [expletive] that was more popular. That's how you sell.

However, you said "genre is define by what's selling because what's selling is what's being heard by the masses and what's heard by the masses is what lives on in history" which is pretty false. A genre is just defined as a category.. And obviously all the old eras got there own genres. Gangster rap is still gangster rap.. Just cause its not selling, which one new artist just portrayed *wink*, doesnt mean it has no genre. Some people don't listen to gangster rap and just Kanye type stuff. others just gangster rap....

Hip hop was never heading one direction. Hip Hop always had the kanyes, weezys, etcs. In other words, the club bangers. Now thats more popular, while before it was gangster rap. You could say hip hop is heading one direction now... Since all these new rappers just wanna get out hits.

However, Kanye has already had significant impact on hip hop and that why he is considered a musical genius...

Edited by Ham, October 14, 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#34 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 18,367 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 09:28 PM

I agree with last.stand however Kanye wasn't the sole reason rap switched from gangster rap to what it is today.

You could Jay Z had effect on this too. Even a great like HOV changed his style to the [expletive] that was more popular. That's how you sell.

However, you said "genre is define by what's selling because what's selling is what's being heard by the masses and what's heard by the masses is what lives on in history" which is pretty false. A genre is just defined as a category.. And obviously all the old eras got there own genres. Gangster rap is still gangster rap.. Just cause its not selling, which one new artist just portrayed *wink*, doesnt mean it has no genre. Some people don't listen to gangster rap and just Kanye type stuff. others just gangster rap....

Hip hop was never heading one direction. Hip Hop always had the kanyes, weezys, etcs. In other words, the club bangers. Now thats more popular, while before it was gangster rap. You could say hip hop is heading one direction now... Since all these new rappers just wanna get out hits.

However, Kanye has already had significant impact on hip hop and that why he is considered a musical genius...

Well jay-z switched his style after Kanye, not before. Kanye had a huge influence on jay-z new direction.

Also my point in saying that a genre is defined by what's selling comes from the idea that a genre is comprised of artists. These artists are signed by record labels who sign someone who comprises the traits of what's hot right now

So in turn what's selling defines a genre because the artists that comprise any given genre were picked out by record labels following trends

Kanye wasn't the sole reason, but he was the spark, he was the initiator

Also I wouldn't classify Kanye in the same place as weezy. I'd say Kanye is closer to kid cudi than weezy.
Posted Image

#35 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 5,397 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 09:53 PM

Couldn't you say this makes hip hop more one directional than before?

Edited by Ham, October 14, 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#36 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 18,367 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 10:32 PM

Couldn't you say this makes hip hop more one directional than before?

Most forms of entertainment are always looking for the next trend to spark because they want to be first so they can bank the most

Kanye sent hip hop in one direction which lasted but now he's in his own lane with jay-z because lil Wayne took it in another direction with punch line rap

He didn't invent punch line rap but he popularized it.

It won't be long before the next trend hits since people are obviously tired of lil Wayne. Entertainment is all about ups and Downs.

So I wouldn't say it's more one directional. Most mainstream music just follows trends. What makes it unique is those people who try to take it in a new direction and succeed. What makes it unique are those game changers that spark creativity that gives record labels reason to back a style.

A good comparison for me is the carter 2 vs the carter 3

Lil Wayne has always been Someone who makes huge cash on going with music trends and capitalizing. He doesn't stay in the past he moves with whats hot

Kanye is different. He does what he wants and what he thinks sounds good. With the first college dropout he took a chance that self reflective tracks on soul beats would sell. And since then every album has been an experiment.

/tangent
Posted Image

#37 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,260 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Sorry dude, but you aren't really making sense to me.

If you want to go in line of recent hip-hop superstars

Kendrick

Drake

Wayne

Kanye

50 Cent

Ludacris

Nelly

Ja Rule

DMX

Eminem

Cash Money

Jay-Z

No Limit

Nas

Fugees

Biggie

Wu-Tang

Outkast

Snoop

2pac

Dr. Dre

I started with Dre, because that's the time where Gangsta Rap was really in, West Coast Rap changed rap, and the crack era of the 80s changed rap because , rappers come from those neighborhoods that were most effected for the most part

That Dre,Pac,Snoop era was more Party Rap with a gangsta twist, aka G Funk.

Biggie kinda took that and applied it to the East but even as Biggie reigned, the West Coast sound and style and music was winning. The South artist that were winning were funky as opposed to Luke-style songs

Then you had an east Coast resurgence with Biggie and Nas and Wu-Tang leading a not so subtle assault towards the West and the East Coast kinda came back after Pac died

With Jay and Puff leading the way. that style of music was  the most relevant

And amongst that the South start bubblin. First with Cash money and No Limit( in reverse order)

Then with a slew of Atlanta artists and Def jam with Jay,DMX, and ja Rule were doing huge numbers...there was still a bunch of South rappers coming and going. From The Youngbloodz to the Eastside Boyz, dem Franchise boyz, Yung Joc, man so many. And now you see Future and these newer guys but still, around the biggest stars, the South still has control of the majority of what's going on

#38 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 5,397 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:29 PM

^gangsta rap da [expletive] brah

#39 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,260 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 11:57 AM

If it's good

there are some good Chief Keef songs, some good Drake songs some good songs from many artists, even lil b has a few ongs that are good songs

Everyone from Trinidad James to Tech 9ne have good music

No one genre or no one subgenre or artist holds that much weight

Ye is like one of those great artist from a great camp so he is HUe

similar to Em or guys in the past like Biggie 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users