Photo

Nuggets vs. Lakers Highlights; Plus Postgame Interviews (10/8/13)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

• 38,686 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 10:33 PM

Full Highlights:

(Time Warner Highlights)

Steve Nash To Chris Kaman To Pau Gasol For Dunk:

Steve Nash No Look Over The Shoulder To Chris Kaman For Dunk:

Nick Young battles into the paint drawing the defense and finds Jordan Hill for the dunk.

Pau Gasol talks about what him and Kobe talked about on the sidelines. Plus, how did Pau feel he fit alongside Chris Kaman in the line-up?

Steve Nash says the Pau Gasol/Chris Kaman duo exceeded his expectations after seeing them on the floor together for the first time in the Lakers win over the Denver Nuggets on Tuesday.

Mike D'Antoni says he was impressed with how Chris Kaman and Pau Gasol played together, plus unsure if Steve Nash will be a back-up, and talks about Kobe's return.

Former Laker Brian Shaw on the game:

Edited by    , October 09, 2013 - 11:10 PM.

yo.

#2 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 768 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 08, 2013 - 11:17 PM

I am loving the ball movement. Needs to keep improving defensively. And we especially need Kobe to not play hero ball and let his teammates do the work

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,368 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 08, 2013 - 11:20 PM

I am loving the ball movement. Needs to keep improving defensively. And we especially need Kobe to not play hero ball and let his teammates do the work

I'm loving the ball movement too!!! !

I really liked our defense for that first half too, taking the Nuggets 2 quarters to break 30 points I like our team defense, I don't think teams are used to it.

Jordan Hill as back up 5 is working BEAUTIFULLY, he ripped 12 rebounds in little time and got some easy looks and we were able to really REALLY push the lead with our second unit and I liked what I saw from Williams.  Xavier is a great guy to close games with out there with the way he was able to get to the basket late and draw contact.  I really enjoyed it.

Nick Young's passing I think caught EVERYONE off guard.  Kobe's obviously gonna work with him on that too.  

Overall I REALLY like the kind of team defense we're playing, the ball movement and chemistry and fluidity.   Not to mention the way Pau and Kaman play together is just beautiful to watch.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

• 38,686 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 11:23 PM

Not to mention the way Pau and Kaman play together is just beautiful to watch.

Seems to work better than Dwight & Pau already simply cause they can both shoot it from the outside as well as do work on the inside and Kaman unlike Dwight, makes his free throws for a change. What a relief.

yo.

• 38,686 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 12:16 AM

Updated first post, new TWC highlights vid. avail.

(Time Warner Highlights)

yo.

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,368 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 12:38 AM

The spacing is SO MUCH BETTER!!

But you know... when Pau and Kaman roll with each other it makes you wonder what could have been if another certain center hadn't waited till the final stretch of the season to try it with Gasol.

It's lovely watching the chemistry between Kaman and Gasol it's like they are playing with a mirror.

#7 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,368 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 12:46 AM

Gasol 14 8 2
Kaman 12 7 3

they compliment each other VERY well

And Jordan Hill going up against a bench 5 with his rebounding skill?  12 rebounds in 15 mins and some wide open dunks. 

D'antoni can basically run the same kind of plays for Hill he got for Stat, if Hill can get that midrange down too he'll be even more dangerous for sets we can run.

I really really like what I saw tonight, we seem to keep advancing game by game. 

I have no idea why Shaw was running Robinson, Hickson, and McGee against Sacre and Harris but.. I guess he wanted to "win" again.  I'm glad we hung on and won with that unit. 

Xavier seems to have the green light to help close games in situations like that because he started getting to the basket late when we needed the offense.   That's a good sign.

Landry again couldn't hit a shot X_X

Edited by Majesty, October 09, 2013 - 12:49 AM.

#8 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 09, 2013 - 12:50 AM

Weird. Landry was disappointing and Jodie showed some grit on the defensive end. He obviously stepped up today. 

Pau and Kaman played amazingly well together and didn't look slow at all when Denver was trying to push the tempo, Nick Young facilitating was a thing to behold, Xavier couldn't buy a bucket, but loved how he never stopped attacking the basket, loved how Shawne Williams was hitting the mid range to stretch the floor and playing good defense, and finally Jordan Hill looked like he got his explosiveness back with 12 rebounds. Loved near everything about today. 

Oh, and props to Steve Blake, too. 

#9 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 12:56 AM

Also, I'm really glad that we've been playing against teams that push the tempo and get points off transition. Really tested our transition defense. 

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,368 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 01:05 AM

D'antoni is happy that there's no "touches" complaining this year(we know who this is a dig at)

Mike D'Antoni explains why he hates when players complain about "touches"

"I hate that word, 'give me my touches,'" D'Antoni said as he noticeably cringed saying the word. 'I want my touches.' I hate that. We play basketball. If they’re open, they’re open. If we have a mismatch, we’ll go to it depending on the other teams. We just want him to be able to play. If they share the ball, it doesn’t matter. They’ll get enough touches."

You know.. the more you think about it.. what kind of pressure must have been on the organization knowing that they had to placate to the guy and he was pretty much holding the "future of the franchise or I can always go" over their head.   It's kind of like someone knowing they have power so they exploit it cause they know you have to make them happy.

With none of THAT this year, this team looks like they are enjoying themselves more.  When last year they more or less played like any mistake they made was gonna make that other guy leave.   The fans acted and felt that way too.  Never seen some of the fanbase act more spoiled or privileged than I've ever seen them than last year.  The honest truth is 95% of them were nervous Dwight was gonna leave whenever the Lakers were down by 1 and would laugh at their own teams misfortunes as if it would make the pain go away if that other guy left or make it feel justified and it was just a bunch of negativity in the air.

None of that nervousness or negative energy is in the air or there this year nor that placating.

I LOVE the way we've been playing.

Edited by Majesty, October 09, 2013 - 01:32 AM.

• 38,686 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 01:06 AM

Updated first post with a Pau postgame interview. By the way, I would hope y'all know it, but feel free to contribute & help as far as posting updates in here as well. I can't be here all the time (though it might seem like it perhaps to some).

Pau Gasol talks about what him and Kobe talked about on the sidelines. Plus, how did Pau feel he fit alongside Chris Kaman in the line-up?

Also, I'm really glad that we've been playing against teams that push the tempo and get points off transition. Really tested our transition defense. 

Our upgraded youth, speed, & athleticism is showing in that regard. It's awesome. We don't look as old & slow out there anymore. Got some more legit athletes in now.

Edited by    , October 09, 2013 - 01:09 AM.

yo.

#12 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 01:10 AM

Speaking of touches, love seeing the box score and seeing everyone with points. 

• 38,686 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 01:13 AM

^ Generally the more people involved, the funner the team has, the harder they'll play for each other and the better the chemistry will be.

yo.

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,368 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 01:27 AM

Another thing I really like about Xavier Henry, his shot wasn't falling

But he finished with 7 points because he made 5-6 free throws.  His ability to draw fouls is VALUABLE even on nights his jumper isn't falling.

Xavier said "I can still get to the rim when I want to and when I'm coming off a screen it's just me vs another big.  As long as my teammates have confidence in me I have confidence in myself."  

He has been right, he seems to be able to still get to the basket with ease and draw fouls, this is something that is very valuable especially as a cutter to the basket.   His ability to stretch the floor is a very welcome bonus.

#15 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,368 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 01:29 AM

^ Generally the more people involved, the funner the team has, the harder they'll play for each other and the better the chemistry will be.

Also consider we haven't had the full sets yet that would probably be most effective.  The starting lineup we had tonight but with Wes at the 3 and Young at the 2.  

The bench unit playing Farmar when Meeks is off or when Blake/Nash is resting thus allowing us to push pace more.

We've got lineups of depth we haven't even gotten into yet!!! I love it so much!! it's fun having that much depth.

At this point honestly I wish Kelly was healthy, I'd like to see what he could do with the kind of shots Landry and Meeks are getting.

Edited by Majesty, October 09, 2013 - 01:29 AM.

#16 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Sixth Man

• 3,591 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 09, 2013 - 01:35 AM

So is Meeks gonna get shipped out soon or what?

• 38,686 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 01:37 AM

Doubt it unfortunately. MDA seems to love him too much.

yo.

#18 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 02:01 AM

Another thing I really like about Xavier Henry, his shot wasn't falling

But he finished with 7 points because he made 5-6 free throws.  His ability to draw fouls is VALUABLE even on nights his jumper isn't falling.

Xavier said "I can still get to the rim when I want to and when I'm coming off a screen it's just me vs another big.  As long as my teammates have confidence in me I have confidence in myself."  

He has been right, he seems to be able to still get to the basket with ease and draw fouls, this is something that is very valuable especially as a cutter to the basket.   His ability to stretch the floor is a very welcome bonus.

He can be our mini James Harden. 

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,368 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 02:28 AM

He can be our mini James Harden. 

I think he's actually bigger or at least he LOOKS bigger or stronger.

Not gonna overrate him but I do see the potential there.  If that jumper becomes consistent and he just improves that dribble sometimes when he goes to the basket, it's good a lot of the time but sometimes he's a lil sloppy with it but that's the green ness.

But he's only 22 and from what I've seen talent wise from this kid as well as his natural strength if we keep him locked in and work on his game by the time he's grown in to that "grown man" body he's gonna be hard to stop when he wants to go to the basket.

I think the most valuable aspect is that he does have the ability to stretch the floor.  But he isn't useless when his shot's not falling, he digs in on the defensive end(but does make those green mistakes from time to time)  but for the most part he plays solid on the defensive end and works hard on hustle plays and off ball movement and ability to get to the basket.   I really think he'd be a valuable asset for this team.    When your shot is off and you can still put in close to 10 points on free throws cause of your ability to get to the basket THAT is worth having.    

And if he continues to get even better and stronger, we could have an X-factor.  A BIG one if he finds himself and lives up to that potential, I'm glad he's showing it here :D

Diamond in the ruff if I've ever seen it, we just need to keep him advancing and getting better instead of plateauing and we're golden.   

Let's not forget, coming out of high school Xavier was ranked higher than both DeMarcus Cousins AND John Wall.   He was supposed to be very VERY good. 

If he finds that here and we KEEP him here?   then wow...

Edited by Majesty, October 09, 2013 - 02:31 AM.

#20 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,547 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted October 09, 2013 - 05:05 AM

I feel like laundry and Harris will be let go. Xavier and Williams will stay.

I loved the passing from everyone. Pau to kaman was beautiful.

I can't wait for oct 29

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users