#41 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,764 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 10, 2013 - 02:56 PM

We already got draft picks that could be decent players.  Wes Johnson, Xavier Henry, who are ready to be developed and have more potential than whatever the 19th pick of the 2013 draft would have been.

Obviously a tanking team like Phoenix thought the same thing cause they got rid of that draft pick to get Wes Johnson whom we just got and took less money than he would have made going back to Phoenix. 

So there's that.

The thing is Nash at the very least gives us a chance, and whoever we'd have drafted number 20 in the 2013 draft wouldn't have given us as much a chance as Nash did and was likely gonna be another player "gone" in 2-3 years but not even of the same quality that Nash is.

I think you're overrating just how important those 'draft' picks were.  It ain't like we gave up the number 1 draft pick for Nash, we gave up a middle of the pack draft pick in a draft class EVERYONE was touting as weak, so I don't know why suddenly people start complaining about it.

You can bet your bottom freaking dollar if we'd said no to Nash and kept on to that 2013 draft pick and drafted some middle of the pack guy 20th this forum would be going off with posts about "So we traded in getting Steve Nash.. for (whoever is the 20th draft pick in a weak 2013 draft) and so we could develop Morris... GOOD FREAKING JOB FRONT OFFICE!! FIRE JIM BUSS!!! WTF!!!"  

But now we're acting like we missed out on some golden sleeper in the 2013 draft who everyone was saying was weak, a draft so weak that a team that was going to be much worse than us(Phoenix) got rid of it , sending it to Minnesota to get Wes Johnson whom we just got from them. 

The two guys we have right now(Xavier and Johnson) were drafted higher in stronger drafts.  So giving up Nash for a middle of the pack pick in a draft class nobody cared about ain't the world changing event that shapes Lakers history for the next 20 years like some people act like it is.   We gave up just enough to get Nash and we STILL have our first round 2014 pick in a much stronger draft.  But do we get credit for not losing that pick?  Nope....   nope...   but the 2013 weak draft middle of the pack pick?   Oh that was TOO MUCH...!!

;)

Good points.

We will truly see how much we gave up by 2015.

#42 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,213 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 10, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Good points.

We will truly see how much we gave up by 2015.

By that time we'll be going after the free agent Rajon Rondo so I'm sure we won't lose sleep over it :) Unless Parker or Wiggins stays in college another year which could very well happen.  For Parker anyway imo. He seems like a 4 year guy to me.  Wiggins SHOULD stay in college for 4 years but if he has a good first year the money is gonna talk.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#43 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,764 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 03:01 PM

By that time we'll be going after the free agent Rajon Rondo so I'm sure we won't lose sleep over it :) Unless Parker or Wiggins stays in college another year which could very well happen.  For Parker anyway imo. He seems like a 4 year guy to me.  Wiggins SHOULD stay in college for 4 years but if he has a good first year the money is gonna talk.

Wiggins is already considered a franchise player by some gms. Hes going to the nba after the first year. Too much cash to lose and too much time to waste in the NCAA (imo)

#44 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted October 10, 2013 - 03:37 PM

Can't exactly remember a 40 year old beast that didn't play center. I do know this. No one should hate on Nash. It's up to MDA and Mitch to do the right thing with him.. And the right thing is 28 minutes per game and not playing on nights the team plays against certain types of Guards. I personally feel Jordan Farmar is the X factor

#45 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,609 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 10, 2013 - 03:49 PM

Can't exactly remember a 40 year old beast that didn't play center. I do know this. No one should hate on Nash. It's up to MDA and Mitch to do the right thing with him.. And the right thing is 28 minutes per game and not playing on nights the team plays against certain types of Guards. I personally feel Jordan Farmar is the X factor

John Stockton is the only guy that comes to mind. Wasn't he about that age?

Only the ALLTIME leader in both steals and assists. But it is rare. There was an article a couple years back that compared nash and stockton at 36 i think. Nash had the better numbers. Which is saying something

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#46 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:22 PM

John Stockton is the only guy that comes to mind. Wasn't he about that age?

Only the ALLTIME leader in both steals and assists. But it is rare. There was an article a couple years back that compared nash and stockton at 36 i think. Nash had the better numbers. Which is saying something

Wouldn't exactly call Stockton a Beast at 39 and 40 but in his day he was Baaaaad Dude. But believe me, he didn't retire because he was able to play at 40

Edited by lakersince75, October 10, 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#47 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,039 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:23 PM

Nash is very much capable of generating stats similar to 17/12. However, he doesn't need to. With Jordan Farmar and Steve Blake backing him up, Nash shouldn't be playing more than 20 minutes and that should ensure that he stays healthy. Once we get into the playoffs, Nash will be playing more minutes and he will be shooting/assisting more as a result.

He's still able to dish nifty passes that only one with a superb court vision would be able to. He's still able to break down the opposing defense. He's still able to be a 50/40/90 player. He's still clutch (people tend to forget his big shots last year: Game winner at Golden State, clutch three in overtime against the Raptors, etc)

When the game's on the line, we'll want Nash on the floor. His ability to shoot and make the right play is unmatched. Judging his performance by last year is unfair since he was injured. The whole team was injured actually. Sure father time wins, but the goal is to keep Nash healthy enough for the playoffs. Then it's like an entire new season from there. 

#48 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,532 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:34 PM

Rarely does any guy thats on the top 10 draft boards stay for 4 years.  I mean for what?

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#49 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,213 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:43 PM

Rarely does any guy thats on the top 10 draft boards stay for 4 years.  I mean for what?

Work on your game. But players often leave college ball too soon nowadays anyway. 

#50 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,532 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 06:49 PM

You develop in the pros as well if not better.  If a player is physically ready to go playing 4 years would be a waste.  Seeing that Parker is considered a top 5 pick off rip I highly doubt he stays more than 2 years max.

Work on your game. But players often leave college ball too soon nowadays anyway. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#51 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,764 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 09:23 PM

why wouldn't they work on their game in the nba.....they would adjust quicker lol

#52 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,213 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 09:29 PM

why wouldn't they work on their game in the nba.....they would adjust quicker lol

How many kids have come through the draft lately that we say "left college too soon."

The NBA isn't as forgiving as 4 years of college, by your 3rd year you can be out of the league and labeled a bust if you don't adjust. 

Not as simple as "come to NBA, adjust faster"  not at all.   It's very obvious to tell the players that left college too soon as freshmen to come to the NBA and fizzle out in 2 years of what could have been lucrative careers but they weren't ready cause they left college too soon. 

#53 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,764 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 09:37 PM

How many kids have come through the draft lately that we say "left college too soon."

The NBA isn't as forgiving as 4 years of college, by your 3rd year you can be out of the league and labeled a bust if you don't adjust. 

Not as simple as "come to NBA, adjust faster"  not at all.   It's very obvious to tell the players that left college too soon as freshmen to come to the NBA and fizzle out in 2 years of what could have been lucrative careers but they weren't ready cause they left college too soon. 

Not going to happen to Wiggins. Too much of a beast.

#54 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,213 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 09:50 PM

Not going to happen to Wiggins. Too much of a beast.

From what I've seen in him I'd stay a second year.   He's got good reactive skill but does have tendency to get complacent at times, and against the wider spacing in high school he gets to the basket pretty much at will and has a great reactive move that works often, but the jump shot doesn't always fall. 

So if I was Wiggins I'd work on my jumpshot exclusively during my college career, everything else comes naturally except that jump shot, he's very much relying on his ability to get to the basket right now and spacing is a bit different in the college game, so he needs to develop that jump shot.  As of right now I'm picking Parker to have the more successful college year than Wiggins strictly because of the edges he still needs to iron out.  But his natural talent will be enough to get people talking.  But I'm not expecting the 2nd coming of Wilt like the cover of Sports Illustrated. "From Wilt, to Manning, to Wiggins"

That is WAAAAAY too much pressure.

#55 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,764 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 06:46 AM

From what I've seen in him I'd stay a second year.   He's got good reactive skill but does have tendency to get complacent at times, and against the wider spacing in high school he gets to the basket pretty much at will and has a great reactive move that works often, but the jump shot doesn't always fall. 

So if I was Wiggins I'd work on my jumpshot exclusively during my college career, everything else comes naturally except that jump shot, he's very much relying on his ability to get to the basket right now and spacing is a bit different in the college game, so he needs to develop that jump shot.  As of right now I'm picking Parker to have the more successful college year than Wiggins strictly because of the edges he still needs to iron out.  But his natural talent will be enough to get people talking.  But I'm not expecting the 2nd coming of Wilt like the cover of Sports Illustrated. "From Wilt, to Manning, to Wiggins"

That is WAAAAAY too much pressure.

Who cares what they do in college. Its all about how their games transition into the nba, the real game. Wiggins will have a better game for the nba. Hes an athletic freak.

#56 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,532 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 06:49 AM

Legends in the NBA have made a living out of proving people wrong.  Im sure Wiggins in gunning against the same doubt.  If he is built for it he will succeed.  I haven't seen any of them enough to make assumptions.  I'll watch them this year and see how they pan out in the NBA.  What we do know is that dude is already NBA ready physically and is probably better than Wesley Johnson at least lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users