55 replies to this topic

#21 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,249 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted October 09, 2013 - 12:48 PM

There are so many reasons why.  First off, I am hoping that Nash can play like the nash of old. But hoping and reality is not the same thing.

Reason #1   Age.   Obviously nobody can go against father time. Even the great Jordan who retired at the age of 40 and he suck his last season. Nash is 39 turning 40,  what makes you think he will be the same player like he once was when the greats in the past can't do it? No history shows a 40 year old player can play at a high level in the HISTORY of the NBA.

Reason #2   Linked to Mike D Antoni.  As much as we love Nash and how he was great, the two MVP he recieved was when he was with MDA. Nash became a star because of MDA. People said Nash was an MDA system.  And to be honest,  MDA is one of the most hated coaches in the NBA. The mention of his name makes people want to vomit. So any association with MDA people tend to have strong opinion against.

Reason #3   His defense.   He was never a defensive minded person but in the past he can stay in front of guards a lot easier. Now because of his age, his defense is even worst. Now if you never were a great defensive player, how can your defense be worst? The greatest aspect of being a great basketball player is to play really good defense.  All the greats can defend. Even the ones that was never known for defense like a Larry Bird can defend like no other. Magic is a strappy defensive player and he was never known for defense.  Reggie Miller was great on defense but people forget that.  Jordan ofcourse are great all around.   Nash was never really a defensive guy. He doesnt really have that ever. 

Reason #4  His vision.   Nash is famous for seeing the whole court. He is like a magic johnson in a way. He have amazing passing ability and able to get guys where they need to be.  The past year he was horrible at that. Dont blame injuries for not seeing the court. He didn't have an eye injury. Look at how many turnovers he had last year? He didnt have any great assist at all.  Now it could be that his teamate sucks and dont know where to go or it could be that MDA forced him to be a shooter. In any case, it is hist job as a PG to set people up.  fair or not he didn't do that last year. So the critism is correct.

Edited by epicwolf, October 09, 2013 - 12:51 PM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#22 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,799 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted October 09, 2013 - 01:05 PM

Nash is still good. A great laker and there aren't enter options. Anytime I think of callers with an opinion I merely just recall
Jeff from tarzana.

#23 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,219 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 09, 2013 - 05:24 PM

I don't think its Hate to not feel confident in a former star player thats 40 years of age that needs to be stretched out every game at half time.  Not to mention hes got 2 full years left on his deal and can't even guard the worst PG in the league at this point.  It remains to be seen if his offensive contributions can make up for his defensive liabilities on this team. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#24 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,165 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 09, 2013 - 07:53 PM

I swear we have some of the sheepish fans in thew world

Ramon was the worst defense PG I've ever seen.

Nash is what i call okay. Especially for a PG. He has blocked like 5 times, which isn't a lot, but still, his reputation is worse I really think based on stereotype.

We had derek fisher for 4 titles as the main PG.

Nash at this poit of his career is a GREAT asset for 9 million. He makes our other PGs better and most important, he isa GREAt freaking shooter.

If you get in the playoffs, high leverage moments, do you want a guy who can get the basket but may miss the free throws, or do you want a guy who can get guys GREAT looks, and hit open jumpers, and still crafty enough to get inside, and get fouled.

2 Full years is nothing, what is this obsession with these wannabee GMs.

Locker room presence, community activity, Nash is here for MANy reasons and he had a damn good season considering last year.

#25 Jack Lime

Jack Lime

Rookie

• 360 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 09, 2013 - 10:05 PM

I swear we have some of the sheepish fans in thew world

Ramon was the worst defense PG I've ever seen.

Nash is what i call okay. Especially for a PG. He has blocked like 5 times, which isn't a lot, but still, his reputation is worse I really think based on stereotype.

We had derek fisher for 4 titles as the main PG.

Nash at this poit of his career is a GREAT asset for 9 million. He makes our other PGs better and most important, he isa GREAt freaking shooter.

If you get in the playoffs, high leverage moments, do you want a guy who can get the basket but may miss the free throws, or do you want a guy who can get guys GREAT looks, and hit open jumpers, and still crafty enough to get inside, and get fouled.

2 Full years is nothing, what is this obsession with these wannabee GMs.

Locker room presence, community activity, Nash is here for MANy reasons and he had a damn good season considering last year.

Speaking of D.Fish those same fans would want him on this team again probably lel

VN8Tqa1.jpg

#26 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,595 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 09, 2013 - 10:55 PM

He isn't garbage.....but we gave up to much for him.

#27 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,219 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:27 AM

We gave up our future for him. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#28 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,398 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:54 AM

We gave up our future for him. 

Nah. Just a 'version' of a possible future. Even when the lakers scored their biggest bonanzas on draft day (magic, worthy) these were acquired thru trades.  Not position based on previous season.  Van Exel was a steal in the 2nd round of that draft.  

I'm not sure id trade Mitch for any other GM if that were even possible.

He's got money to work with, an owner w something to prove to everyone, and a fan base with crazy high expectations.  I like our chances and im very glad we get to watch Nash who still is in my top 3-4 PG to watch play.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#29 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,959 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 10, 2013 - 05:04 AM

He isn't garbage.....but we gave up to much for him.

Please tell me who was drafted with those drafts we gave up, I'd really like to know who we'd have picked up around the 24th spot that would have been so franchise changing :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#30 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,595 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 10, 2013 - 06:54 AM

Please tell me who was drafted with those drafts we gave up, I'd really like to know who we'd have picked up around the 24th spot that would have been so franchise changing :)

no clue for 13' first rounder but its not 2015 yet.

We got Nash to win a championship. That isn't happening so we gave up draft picks that could be decent players for a guy that will be on this team for like 2 or 3 years. 

I thought it was a good trade because I though we would be winning a title...but that isn't happening anytime soon with Nash on the team.

#31 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,826 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:49 AM

Don't really mind Nash, we already knew of his deficiencies defensively when we traded for him. I just wish he'd shoot way more often. We're not getting much use out of his all-time shooting percentages when he's shooting only a handful of times a game. We just need him to be more aggressive looking for his shot. Hopefully we see more of that this upcoming season with a healthy Steve Nash.

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,165 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 08:30 AM

I see fans don't get it.

you go for moves , you take risks.

this, " we didn't win the title" so it's a bad move is stupid as [expletive].

We WENT for it, n we weren't winning [expletive] with Fisher or random draft guy. 

Listen,this is a new CBa, and there are only a few ways to make moves , and we made them

Now you're mad he broke his leg the second game?

#33 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,219 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 10:27 AM

That pick was the 19th pick in the draft this year with the other coming in 2015.  These are assets that we could use to get young talent going forward.  I don't think its totally a bad move but it puts the Lakers in a position that if the 2014 free agency doesnt work out they have nothing to fall on in 2015 but hoping Rondo and Love come.  That's a big if.  So no star guys and then low on draft picks.  Not much area to attain assets. 

This is why the new CBA requires teams to draft well.  LA can no longer plug guys from other teams after their rookie deals.  If a guy is good he is most likely going to be with said team for 7-8 seasons.  You guys are stuck in Jerry West GM days where we could just plug and pay for talent.  Things have changed. 

#34 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,445 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 10, 2013 - 10:31 AM

Folks have there opinions. The same folks were happy the Lakers got him and now they want to complain, just to do it. A ball player knows their body. Nash plays below the rim, he's smart and that's why he's able to still play. He will be fine. Any and all bball players break down playing basketball and practicing 5-6 months not including the playoffs. Some players play hurt, some don't.
Posted Image

#35 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,165 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 10:32 AM

We ogt young talent.

nick young and Wes johnson and Xavier Henry and , every year we find some young talent

Despite you guys THINKING a better job can be doene AFTER winning a championship or a couple , than the Lakers have done in this new CBA, you are delusional.

DELUSIONAL.

If we didn't have Nash, we would have had Blake and Morris.

Instead of develop the Jeremy lamb's or reggie jackson's of the world like OKC does, we get them after they reached an age where they are physically and mentally ready to develop.

#36 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,165 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 10:33 AM

Folks have there opinions. The same folks were happy the Lakers got him and now they want to complain, just to do it. A ball player knows their body. Nash plays below the rim, he's smart and that's why he's able to still play. He will be fine. Any and all bball players break down playing basketball and practicing 5-6 months not including the playoffs. Kobe can play hurt and still be elite, most don't.

Fixed

#37 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,420 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted October 10, 2013 - 10:42 AM

He needs to shoot the ball a lot more. He is useless when he doesn't shoot and not being a threat, hell I can find a nba player who is making a lot less money that can do what Nash is doing now.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, October 10, 2013 - 10:43 AM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#38 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,219 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 11:12 AM

Pretty much my whole thought process.  Guys are in love with the name but what is Nash going to provide us right now that will make us a championship team?  That 17/12 guy is never coming back.  He was barely that in PHX his last 2 years there.  Guys keep talking about his shooting ability but ignore the fact that he only shoots 2.8 3's a game.  He's costs us 27M, 2 draft picks only to probably give us only this year at an ok production that someone like Ramon Sessions could have given us for much less. 

He needs to shoot the ball a lot more. He is useless when he doesn't shoot and not being a threat, hell I can find a nba player who is making a lot less money that can do what Nash is doing now.

#39 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,398 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 10, 2013 - 01:14 PM

Still think its a far better risk overpaying for nash than fairly paying sessions. This team is very stacked at PG. Thats not the worry imo

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#40 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,959 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 10, 2013 - 02:50 PM

We got Nash to win a championship. That isn't happening so we gave up draft picks that could be decent players for a guy that will be on this team for like 2 or 3 years. 

We already got draft picks that could be decent players.  Wes Johnson, Xavier Henry, who are ready to be developed and have more potential than whatever the 19th pick of the 2013 draft would have been.

Obviously a tanking team like Phoenix thought the same thing cause they got rid of that draft pick to get Wes Johnson whom we just got and took less money than he would have made going back to Phoenix. 

So there's that.

The thing is Nash at the very least gives us a chance, and whoever we'd have drafted number 20 in the 2013 draft wouldn't have given us as much a chance as Nash did and was likely gonna be another player "gone" in 2-3 years but not even of the same quality that Nash is.

I think you're overrating just how important those 'draft' picks were.  It ain't like we gave up the number 1 draft pick for Nash, we gave up a middle of the pack draft pick in a draft class EVERYONE was touting as weak, so I don't know why suddenly people start complaining about it.

You can bet your bottom freaking dollar if we'd said no to Nash and kept on to that 2013 draft pick and drafted some middle of the pack guy 20th this forum would be going off with posts about "So we traded in getting Steve Nash.. for (whoever is the 20th draft pick in a weak 2013 draft) and so we could develop Morris... GOOD FREAKING JOB FRONT OFFICE!! FIRE JIM BUSS!!! WTF!!!"  

But now we're acting like we missed out on some golden sleeper in the 2013 draft who everyone was saying was weak, a draft so weak that a team that was going to be much worse than us(Phoenix) got rid of it , sending it to Minnesota to get Wes Johnson whom we just got from them. 

The two guys we have right now(Xavier and Johnson) were drafted higher in stronger drafts and are closer to NBA speed and ready to be developed.  So giving up Nash for a middle of the pack pick in a draft class nobody cared about ain't the world changing event that shapes Lakers history for the next 20 years like some people act like it is.   We gave up just enough to get Nash and we STILL have our first round 2014 pick in a much stronger draft.  But do we get credit for not losing that pick?  Nope....   nope...   but the 2013 weak draft middle of the pack pick?   Oh that was TOO MUCH...!!

;)

Edited by Majesty, October 10, 2013 - 02:56 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users