83 replies to this topic

#1 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 05, 2013 - 06:23 PM

All general discussion concerning Wesley Johnson's individual performances, throughout the season, belongs in here.

#2 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 05, 2013 - 08:39 PM

Very disappointed today.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

• 40,377 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Worst player on the court today. Wasn't pretty at all. As bad as a debut could possibly get.

Hope to see something positive from him tomorrow.

yo.

#4 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,014 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 05, 2013 - 09:49 PM

Don't play him out of position at the 4 and you won't have to worry so much.

Glad we established that one game in, he did make some defensive plays but he seemed jittery out there, has a decent midrange stroke and stopped Klay Thompson when he was finally put on him and off 4s.  

Had a bad turnover but showed what he can do defensively if he's not on a 4.    So play him against other 3s and 2s defensively.

and NO MORE AT THE 4!!

Edited by Majesty, October 06, 2013 - 03:16 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#5 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,337 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted October 06, 2013 - 10:21 PM

I think we should give him a bit of a break. In the first two games his shot's been off, but according to the +/- stats he's been a + in both games.

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,014 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 01:17 AM

I think we should give him a bit of a break. In the first two games his shot's been off, but according to the +/- stats he's been a + in both games.

Because of his defense.    I think people expect too much from him offensively.

I think people forget he's here for his defense and his scoring is a bonus when it happens.

Defensively when he's not defending other 4s he's fine. 

it was the lineup of him and Henry that helped stop the Warriors 13 times and hold Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes while we made our comeback and he was playing D pretty well today too and rebounding the ball and hustling.    Him and Williams are a nice defensive combo.  As is he and Henry.

It sucks that Meeks had to eat up all the playing time that would have been his cause of the ankle sprain.  We probably wouldn't have been giving up the runs if he was out there instead of Meeks. 

Hope to see him back and healthy on Tuesday.

• 40,377 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 12:48 PM

Because of his defense.    I think people expect too much from him offensively.

Not really. He's just gotta' knock down a few shots that's all. Not a lot to ask of.

I think people forget he's here for his defense and his scoring is a bonus when it happens.

When has he been known as a lockdown defender or anything previous to coming here? He's still somewhat of a project there. Bottomline is he has to at least knock down a few shots and be a somewhat respectable threat out their to the opposition or else he's a liability.

yo.

#8 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,014 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 04:39 PM

Not really. He's just gotta' knock down a few shots that's all. Not a lot to ask of.

When has he been known as a lockdown defender or anything previous to coming here?

True but you see what our defense has been like the last few games?   Nick Young of all people is playing defense and even had 3 steals last night, a little overlook and had 2 the night before.

Wes is brought here to play defense it was stated even in his intro interview, but what he does is some very subtle things that help us when he's out there.   His length bothers other players(when he's finally defending the 3 or the 2)  like the Warriors were bothered by the lineup of him and Xavier Henry and that's the unit that helped our comeback against them though Wesley didn't score during that comeback his defense was apparent, as Klay Thompson didn't score much while Wes was on him.

And last night the Nuggets never found an offensive rhythm till he was out of the game.  That was because he was doing effective things defensively as well as diving on offense which opened up other players as well as his rebounds and passes and running the floor.

When Meeks came in, our offense became stagnant because Meeks is only good at standing in the corners and shooting threes.   He's not gonna dive to the basket, he hasn't been hustling on defense, heck he didn't even pick up a rebound that landed directly in front of him. 

That's the kind of stuff that hurts us and him getting all of Wes minutes while Wes was out really hurt us on both ends.

D'antoni pretty much said it today.

"I told him today, If you look at the film, and I don't think he's plaed yp to his potential, but with him on the floor, we're a better team.  He makes us a better. So that should be comforting that he doesn't have to press. I think going forward he'll get his rhythm, these are big moments for him they're chomping at the bit to play and then you miss a couple shots he just needs to calm down."

"His athleticism, his length his ability to run the floor and spread the floor and make quick dives where it opens up other people, his unselfishness.  There's a lot of things he's been doing that makes us better.  It's funny, last night(while he was in) we played better last night(against the Nuggets) than we played the night before(against the Warriors) which we won.  But he's a big part of that. When he's on the floor, we're better." 

Obviously D'antoni understands that Wesley is off offensively but he isn't worried about it because he likes what he does defensively, on cuts, running the floor, and keeping the team in rhythm.   Wesley does the little things that don't appear on the stat sheet but we can't deny that our team plays with a better rhythm when he's out there as opposed to when he's not and Meeks is in there instead.   Last night Wesley also was taking down rebounds and getting some passes and hustling on defense and offensive and making cuts that opened up others, like D'antoni said.     We need a guy like that.  His shot needs to get better but what he does helps us immensely and keeps everything moving.  And him and Xavier or him and Williams are very good defensive lineups even when our shot is off, we stopped the Warriors 13 times in our comeback when him and Xavier was in, and we held the Nuggets without a field goal for 6 minutes with him and Williams in.  It's no coincidence that once Meeks came in our offense became stand still, and the Nuggets finally started going on a run.

And yes D'antoni is prefering Wesley because of his defense over his offense.  You've heard it right O_O

#9 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,355 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted October 20, 2013 - 05:07 AM

Last game in China was really bad too. Damn!! I was expecting much more from WJ. To me he is the XFactor but if he plays like this Xavier will be starting at the 3

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,014 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 10:24 AM

Last game in China was really bad too. Damn!! I was expecting much more from WJ. To me he is the XFactor but if he plays like this Xavier will be starting at the 3

Wes didn't play bad in china.  He had 5 points and 5 rebounds in 14 mins.

Offense isn't gonna be running through him, so him not playing outside of the system and ripping down rebounds is important.  

Don't expect 10-15 a night from him.   But expect him to go after rebounds, play defense on the perimeter and play passing lanes. 

That is his job.  If he scores 15 points it means that the defense played off of him that much and he had openings. 

Wes isn't the type to force his offense, he'll take the shots when there's an opening, his main job is defensively.

You know the plays when Meeks is in and he cuts to the basket for the ball.

Those are plays made for Wes and he can likely finish much better than Meeks.at the rim so those are the plays he'll get, or for mid range off screens.

So he looked like I expected him to look for the most part, some nights he'll have 7 some nights he'll have 13 but he's more glue guy than superstar.  

And I'm fine with that.

#11 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,355 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted October 20, 2013 - 04:24 PM

Wes didn't play bad in china.  He had 5 points and 5 rebounds in 14 mins.

Offense isn't gonna be running through him, so him not playing outside of the system and ripping down rebounds is important.  

Don't expect 10-15 a night from him.   But expect him to go after rebounds, play defense on the perimeter and play passing lanes. 

That is his job.  If he scores 15 points it means that the defense played off of him that much and he had openings. 

Wes isn't the type to force his offense, he'll take the shots when there's an opening, his main job is defensively.

You know the plays when Meeks is in and he cuts to the basket for the ball.

Those are plays made for Wes and he can likely finish much better than Meeks.at the rim so those are the plays he'll get, or for mid range off screens.

So he looked like I expected him to look for the most part, some nights he'll have 7 some nights he'll have 13 but he's more glue guy than superstar.  

And I'm fine with that.
The only issue with that is we'll need more from him than ever in his career. IMO he should be the starting 3. If that happens, he's going to need to be a threat. Now if Williams is going to start, then fine. I personally feel Wes needs to have a breakout season

#12 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,337 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 05:51 AM

Like MDAs been saying; we're better with Wesley on the floor.

#13 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,014 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 12:26 PM

Like MDAs been saying; we're better with Wesley on the floor.

Yes especially when it's Meeks eating up his minutes.

#14 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 22, 2013 - 09:59 PM

Finally. Great game from Wesley Johnson, but he is unfortunately overshadowed by Farmar lol 

#15 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,014 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 12:14 AM

Really good game from Wes, took advantage of the way the defense played him in the first half and didn't try to force offense when they adjusted in the second half.  Is a good cutter and an underrated passer.   He also was a nice pest defensively. 

Him and Xavier together are both hustle and pass lane defenders, it's good to see them BOTH out there defending.   Wes also didn't give up on a play and hustled down the other end whenever he could defensively, got a nice chasedown stop too. 

All and all solid game from Wesley.

#16 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,337 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 09:28 PM

His shot was off tonight (1-11) and i'm not sure if it's ever been on, but other than that, we we're better with Johnson on the floor. 

#17 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,014 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Was cold offensively, but played good defensively and made some good plays, the one shot he did make was a very timely one lol

#18 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 01:45 AM

Man, didn't even realize he missed so many while watching the game. 

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,014 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 03:12 PM

Man, didn't even realize he missed so many while watching the game. 

He does the little things really makes good passes and plays hard nose defense is a sneaky rebounder.   I stopped looking for his shooting(though I understand there will be nights we NEED it from him)

But I like that he like Williams helps this team in other ways on the nights his shot is not falling.  They were good shots too.

When I watch our team, even when guys are missing shots they are usually wide open and good shots, so the nights those shots go in they will have high numbers.  Like Blake, he had a cold stretch, but look at the shots he got?     He got those same shots and his shot was falling and wound up with 19 points.

I think that's what I'm liking most about our offense right now.

#20 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 03:30 PM

I have no qualms about the shot selections we've been getting. The guys who were off yesterday need to show up today though lol 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users