Photo

Dwight: Lakers Told Me Not To Work With Kareem (Pg. 2)

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

• 40,603 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 05:14 PM

I don't recall anybody saying he was the greatest Lakers Center, nor the worst. 

To be fair, I'm pretty sure he means it in the sense that the majority loved & praised him & felt he was the best center in the league (among Laker fans at least) and then when he left suddenly everyone turned on him completely.

yo.

#22 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,527 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 05:38 PM

I'm so sick of this topic
Posted Image

#23 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,710 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 05, 2013 - 12:13 AM

No question Dwight is a very good center. Still best in league imo but more on the level slightly above an alonzo mourning. Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, Wilt, moses all still light years better. It may be kareem was hinting more at getting to that level of greatness was going to require dwight add to an already gifted (far from perfect) game. And with some better offensive moves and better hands, and hitting freethrows, he still can but its a big but. 

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#24 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 05, 2013 - 12:27 AM

Honesty Dwight is such a baby, I'm
Sick of reading his quotes, they make me sick. He is honesty the modern day Ben Wallace, Ben Wallace just had more heart and passion. Howard wants everything handed to him on a silver platter I can't wait to see him fail year after year in Houston
Laker fan for life.

#25 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 05, 2013 - 05:24 AM

You'd think he was still a Laker

Pau Gasol is GONE

#26 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,913 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 05, 2013 - 07:53 AM

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#27 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,214 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted October 05, 2013 - 10:12 AM

Kareem is always not getting his due.

To say he be is one of the greatest is an understatement

He might be The Best to ever play the game. Threepeat in college plus 6 NBA Championships!? And he trained with Bruce Lee!?!

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#28 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,169 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 05, 2013 - 01:18 PM

http://www.csnhousto...nbcs&ocid=yahoo

“Well you know, I don’t pay any attention to that stuff,” Howard said on Friday just off the floor of the Toyota Center. “I did hear about it but everybody is entitled to their own opinion. When I joined the Lakers, I was the greatest center and then when I left, I was the worst, mentally I wasn’t capable of playing center. I understand that a lot of things are said out of emotion but I would say that if he has anything to say, I’m here in Houston. We can talk man to man. That’s how I feel about it.”

“Well you can’t win three Defensive Player of the Year trophies and be stupid,” he said. “It just doesn’t happen. In a row, you can’t do that. And I don’t think any coach that has ever coached me has ever said anything about me having a low IQ for basketball. Have I done some dumb stuff on the court before? Every player has. Have we all done something stupid in life? Yes. It’s life, we make mistakes, we learn from them. It is what it is. I think I’m very intelligent when it comes to this game of basketball. I’ve been playing since I was 3 years old. I’ve seen a lot and each year I get smarter and better.

Lol, Dwight sounds so defensive (no pun intended haha....) all the time. He's always trying to prove how he's a winner. He stated how having a ring doesn't only define a winner yet later he stated that he's a winner because he has an Olympic gold medal. Dwight is just constantly trying to remove the pressure upon himself and always defend himself. 

Kobe's the exact opposite. He won't brag about any of his awards but that he wants another ring. More championships. That's what defines a winner to him.

Sure everyone has a different definition of certain concepts, but Dwight should have just shut up after the "I don't pay any attention to that stuff." Because clearly he is, and it clearly affects him since he has to defend himself by proving to the media how his DPOY awards and him playing since he was three years old makes him smart with a high basketball IQ.

Just my two cents.

#29 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 05, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Says "I don't pay attention to any of that stuff".

Goes on a 3 minute diatribe about the things that were said.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

• 40,603 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 05:39 PM

He might be The Best to ever play the game. Threepeat in college plus 6 NBA Championships!? And he trained with Bruce Lee!?!

Sad to say, but part of the reason he gets overlooked a bit is cause he never really had a flashy type of personality. He wasn't all that endearing to the public as some other stars of the game.

yo.

#31 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 7,214 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Sad to say, but part of the reason he gets overlooked a bit is cause he never really had a flashy type of personality. He wasn't all that endearing to the public as some other stars of the game.

The #1 thing he learned from Mr Lee was how not to kiss anybody's ass. That's what got them both in trouble

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#32 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,085 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted October 05, 2013 - 11:21 PM

Dwight Howard: I'm not stupid

Dwight Howard says he's not a stupid player, despite Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's criticism, and he doesn't know why the legend cares anyway.

"When I joined the Lakers I was the greatest center. When I left, I was the worst," Howard said, according to the Chronicle. "Mentally, I wasn't capable of playing center. I understand a lot of things are said out of emotion. I will say if he has anything to say, I am here in Houston. We can talk man to man. That's how I feel."

Howard said he had one conversation with Abdul-Jabbar in Los Angeles and asked that they don't talk about basketball.

"There is no need for me to go back and forth with him," Howard said.

"One thing I would say is that he is old enough to where whatever I do shouldn't even matter. He is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. If I'm Kareem, I'm like why? Four championships, five championships, whatever. I've been in Airplane and done movies with Bruce Lee. I am not worried about the young whippersnapper.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/n...abbar-criticism

Edited by -Wade-, October 05, 2013 - 11:22 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#33 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 7,214 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 08:52 AM

True story-- Bill Walton told a story about how John Wooden taught all the basketball players at UCLA how to put on socks. The morale of the story was(I guess) the best players have to be Coachable. Dwight Coward's never been Coachable and he's too old to learn any new tricks

• 40,603 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 04:06 PM

^ It is indeed. John Wooden also taught me a lot. Not just about the game of basketball, but about some of the valuable lessons off the court in life as well.

I don't read much generally as far as books go, but I did read this one and I'll never forget it growing up. Highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about the game of basketball as well as some of the more valuable lessons in life off the court too.

wooden-a-lifetime-of-observations-and-re

yo.

#35 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 06, 2013 - 05:02 PM

From experience...people who defend their intelligence are often not that intelligent. 

#36 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,618 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted October 07, 2013 - 11:15 AM

Really wish we could see a prime Lew Alcindor going against Houston Rockets Dwight.

2hf753r.jpg

#37 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,913 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 07, 2013 - 12:58 PM

Really wish we could see a prime Lew Alcindor going against Houston Rockets Dwight.

You really wish you could see a slaughter?

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#38 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,618 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted October 08, 2013 - 12:50 PM

Yes! So Dwight can see 1st hand what a centers all about. Let him play in the 80's or 90's. 

Edited by MAMBA24ILL, October 08, 2013 - 12:58 PM.

2hf753r.jpg

#39 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,736 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted October 09, 2013 - 03:38 AM

Dwight: Lakers Told Me Not To Work With Kareem

#40 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 09, 2013 - 03:49 AM

Of course they did.   Just like they told you not to go to Houston this off-season and work with Hakeem when Kareem was free. 

Between training already and the NBA schedule the only time you'll get the time to work with Kareem would be during the off-season.  

Dwight never set up an appointment to work with Kareem in the off-season.  He went and worked with Hakeem again.

Deflection will only get you so far.  Joakim Noah worked with Kareem in the off-season, you could have made the same amount of time to do so especially considering your season ended so early.

But, you went away, you went fly fishing, you traveled abroad, you came back to LA to take part in video game competitions, you went to Houston to work with Hakeem.  

Did the Lakers tell you to do all that?  Did the Lakers tell you that when you had ample opportunity to to choose Hakeem over Kareem in the off-season?  

Keep deflecting Dwight with your 'coincidental' information that comes up.

And also Stephen A Smith knows good and well that Dwight didn't tell him "all during the summer" that the Lakers said that.  If he had it would have come up WAAAAAAY before then and would have came up when Kareem was actually in the debate show.  It would have came up when Kareem criticized him the moment they left.

I'm willing to bet that Dwight told Stephen A this on that day when Kareem came on their show afterwards and Stephen A is embellishing when and how often he heard it.   If Stephen A Smith said "Dwight told me that day" it makes it easier to think that Dwight came up with that on the spot and less legitimate, but if Stephen A embellishes and says "all throughout the summer" it makes it sound better and more believable, but any sensible person with a brain knows that if Dwight was telling Stephen A that all summer he would have used it WAAAAAAAAAAY before now considering all the "anti Jim Buss" ranks the guy goes on.

Edited by Majesty, October 09, 2013 - 03:51 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users