Photo

Dwight: Lakers Told Me Not To Work With Kareem (Pg. 2)

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,591 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted October 03, 2013 - 08:22 PM

POPULAR

Kareem Talks About Michael, Kobe and Blasts Dwight

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, October 09, 2013 - 03:37 AM.

#2 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 04, 2013 - 01:10 AM

Man, I remember some articles talking about Kareem approaching Dwight before, but the way Kareem talks about their encounter makes me wonder what exactly Dwight did in that moment. I mean, yes, Kareem does his best to color Dwight as a gifted athlete and a good guy, but he sounds hurt and disrespected. 

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,996 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 04, 2013 - 01:21 AM

I'm guessing it went like this

Kareem: You can come to me anytime you need to learn a few things. I'd love to teach you a few things and I'll always be available to you.

Dwight: *big smile* that would be great!! 

(Dwight never shows up)

If you notice all the answers Dwight gave to anyone that offered him any kind of position that would require him investing true time as a Laker he would answer "That would be fun" or "That would be great" or "That sounds awesome!"  But he never answered "I intend to." or "I'm going to"  He always gave a positive yet non-committal spin on his responses.

Edited by Majesty, October 04, 2013 - 01:21 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#4 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 02:27 AM

I'm guessing it went like this

Kareem: You can come to me anytime you need to learn a few things. I'd love to teach you a few things and I'll always be available to you.

Dwight: *big smile* that would be great!! 

(Dwight never shows up)

If you notice all the answers Dwight gave to anyone that offered him any kind of position that would require him investing true time as a Laker he would answer "That would be fun" or "That would be great" or "That sounds awesome!"  But he never answered "I intend to." or "I'm going to"  He always gave a positive yet non-committal spin on his responses.

Right, but in the video, Kareem says that Dwight did not react too well to him approaching him. That makes me believe that their encounter wasn't limited to Dwight straight up lying to him about wanting his tutelage. 

#5 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,728 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 04, 2013 - 04:11 AM

Who knows, Shaq or Bynum didn't react to well to Kareem.  None of us have all the facts and I think at this point it makes Laker Land look extremely bitter to keep talking about Dwight.  Kareem had nothing of the sort to say before D12 was a Laker.  Let him go, at this point who cares.  Nothing we can do so its time to move on and hope the FO makes the right moves going forward. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#6 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,996 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 04, 2013 - 04:37 AM

Who knows, Shaq or Bynum didn't react to well to Kareem.  None of us have all the facts and I think at this point it makes Laker Land look extremely bitter to keep talking about Dwight.  Kareem had nothing of the sort to say before D12 was a Laker.  Let him go, at this point who cares.  Nothing we can do so its time to move on and hope the FO makes the right moves going forward. 

Shaq never asked Kareem to work with him so Kareem didn't.

Kareem on Shaq

"As a pro I never approached Shaq because I thought he was pretty successful dunking everything and I assumed he didn't want my help," Abdul-Jabbar said. "Additionally, I was never on the coaching staff of any of his teams. I was never unfriendly to him and I would talk to him, but Shaq was enjoying his success, doing it his way. He never asked me of what I thought he should be doing and he never tried to reach out to me for any instruction and I respected that decision.

"If I had any idea that Shaq wanted to learn from me, I would have been happy to have worked with him, but all indications that I had received was that he felt he was doing fine and he didn't need or want my help."

And Bynum learned from Kareem till he felt there was nothing left to learn. 

That's pretty much the synopsis.   Shaq however to this day goes out of his way to disrespect Kareem for not "teaching" him.   Because he arrogantly thought at the time that he didn't have to go to Kareem and Kareem should have come to him.  

That's that with those two.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#7 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,728 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted October 04, 2013 - 04:45 AM

You don't know what transpired between Kareem and Shaq.  If you know my story I hate Shaq but I don't think its fair to make assumptions like that when you have no facts.  In the end I think its best to leave the D12 stuff where it is.  He's going to move on to do well and LA should focus on getting the ship right.  To hell with him. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#8 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,132 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 04, 2013 - 06:00 AM

All this does bring up a big question.

With all the living talent that lakers have, the organization should come up with ways (even if its a couple practices or pep talks) to utilize their wonderful history.

As far as kareem, I watched his whole career and hes only the leagues leading scorer who kept his body in shape over a 20 year run. (Looking at you shaq)

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#9 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,149 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted October 04, 2013 - 07:03 AM

Shaq didnt take advice as a Laker. Kobe told him routinely get your fat azz in shape & work on your game during offseason. Shaq never listened & ended up being the demise of best duo ever. Shaq was & still is stubborn to a fault its his nature. Kareem is real he wont give you the time of day if your not interested.

Shaq never asked Kareem to work with him so Kareem didn't.

Kareem on Shaq

And Bynum learned from Kareem till he felt there was nothing left to learn. 

That's pretty much the synopsis.   Shaq however to this day goes out of his way to disrespect Kareem for not "teaching" him.   Because he arrogantly thought at the time that he didn't have to go to Kareem and Kareem should have come to him.  

That's that with those two.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#10 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,149 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted October 04, 2013 - 07:07 AM

Im with you but unfortunately todays youth & young players dont respond to these type of outreach methods well for the majority. Player development must be something that Lakers Organization has as top priority. Like Ive been saying for last couple years, Laker scouts must have been terrible or just never had an eye for raw talent in filler roles. Star players & Superstar players will figure things out. But what Lakers struggle with is bringing the best out of their role players. This season looks promising with young mix of talent but will they get meaningful mins to showout? Thats the real question.

All this does bring up a big question.
With all the living talent that lakers have, the organization should come up with ways (even if its a couple practices or pep talks) to utilize their wonderful history.

As far as kareem, I watched his whole career and hes only the leagues leading scorer who kept his body in shape over a 20 year run. (Looking at you shaq)

Edited by gque24, October 04, 2013 - 07:08 AM.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#11 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,132 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 04, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Im with you but unfortunately todays youth & young players dont respond to these type of outreach methods well for the majority. Player development must be something that Lakers Organization has as top priority. Like Ive been saying for last couple years, Laker scouts must have been terrible or just never had an eye for raw talent in filler roles. Star players & Superstar players will figure things out. But what Lakers struggle with is bringing the best out of their role players. This season looks promising with young mix of talent but will they get meaningful mins to showout? Thats the real question.

The team eliminated pretty much the entire scouting dept during lockout IIRC. Not sure if they ever partially or fully restaffed it since. Anyone know? And sometimes you just get lucky (earl clark) but only because injury and opportunity coincide at just the right time.

I remember a story in the LA TIMES that even really longtime equipment guy Rudy G was let go and got into the roach coach food biz.  Lakers gutted themselves and have had a tough time recovering imo from a goodwill standpoint. And possibly a functioning on all cylinders standpoint. Noting they still did have an offseason coo last year that didnt pan out unfortunately

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#12 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,531 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 09:05 AM

dwight never wanted to stay from day 1, he's the worst at faking

bw1wOGf.png

#13 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,144 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted October 04, 2013 - 09:55 AM

I blame the youth of today.  I'll bet you anything D12 probably doesn't even know who Kareem is. I'll bet you most of you youngins in here probably dont even know how great the captain was back in the 70's and 80's.  SO I am not surprised that D12 don't respect Kareem.  The youth of today have no respect for the elders and authority anyway so this story is not news to me.

Edited by epicwolf, October 04, 2013 - 09:56 AM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#14 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,561 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted October 04, 2013 - 11:22 AM

^ totally, it's like all these young bloods today wanna do is the jibba jabba jump shots.

#15 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 04, 2013 - 01:18 PM

I'll bet D12 has a learning disability anyway........ which includes thinking he knows it all right now

He runs away from responsibility, pressure to improve, and quits when things get tough.

I've seen his attitude change so many times its crazy. Its like who he's talking to at the time....he's always faking it

Shaq, Kareemm, Kobe, Worthy,...talked to every one the same way......If you didn't like it ...???

The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#16 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,497 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 01:23 PM

Does Abdul Jabbar need to apologize now?

MMiRi9s.png

• 40,400 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for this OP.

yo.

#18 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,536 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted October 04, 2013 - 04:43 PM

Kareem is always not getting his due.

To say he be is one of the greatest is an understatement

#19 lakersp4p

lakersp4p

Rookie

• 813 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted October 04, 2013 - 05:06 PM

http://www.csnhousto...nbcs&ocid=yahoo

“Well you know, I don’t pay any attention to that stuff,” Howard said on Friday just off the floor of the Toyota Center. “I did hear about it but everybody is entitled to their own opinion. When I joined the Lakers, I was the greatest center and then when I left, I was the worst, mentally I wasn’t capable of playing center. I understand that a lot of things are said out of emotion but I would say that if he has anything to say, I’m here in Houston. We can talk man to man. That’s how I feel about it.”

“Well you can’t win three Defensive Player of the Year trophies and be stupid,” he said. “It just doesn’t happen. In a row, you can’t do that. And I don’t think any coach that has ever coached me has ever said anything about me having a low IQ for basketball. Have I done some dumb stuff on the court before? Every player has. Have we all done something stupid in life? Yes. It’s life, we make mistakes, we learn from them. It is what it is. I think I’m very intelligent when it comes to this game of basketball. I’ve been playing since I was 3 years old. I’ve seen a lot and each year I get smarter and better.

#20 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 05:11 PM

I don't recall anybody saying he was the greatest Lakers Center, nor the worst. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users