24 replies to this topic

#1 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,471 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 03, 2013 - 04:14 AM

I know the jackpot would be Melo AND Lebron or Lebron and Paul George or similar, but realistically what can we expect/hope to get?

Let’s say we can keep Kobe (13), Pau (10), Young (2), Farmar(1), Johnson (1) and Hill (3) for a combined 30 million. Unrealistic?

Then there is Nash, who can be kept for 9,8 million or stretched for 3,2 million.

Kept: With a salary cap of 62 million we’d have either 62-30-9,8= 22,2 million to spend on 5 players

Stetched: 62-30-3,2 = 28,8 million to spend on 6 players.

Based on Amir Elhassan's Top30 ’14 FAs and projected salaries, we could get:

22,2 million on 5 players: Luol Deng, 7.5 million; Bogut, 12.5 million and then 2.2 million on the final 3 spots.

28,8 on 6 players: Eric Bledsoe, 8; Luol Deng 7.5; Okafor 8.3 and then 5 million on 3 more.

What do you guys think?

Edited by DanishLakerFan, October 03, 2013 - 04:25 AM.

#2 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,082 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 03, 2013 - 05:34 AM

May get lucky w a trade as well. 

I'm not huge on Melo being our savior but ive been wrong before on impact i think players may or may not have and then they surpass or disappoint. 

I felt Dwight, Nash, Jamison, and Earl Clark last off season was the lakers best by far since they acquired shaq and kobe in 96. And we all know where that went.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick!, 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!)

#3 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,657 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted October 03, 2013 - 05:34 AM

Eric Bledsoe isn't a realistic option especially at 8M.  Phx is letting him get away unless we overpay for him which would be dumb on our part.  I like the prospect of Bogut if we land Melo but Bogut's health is a big concern.  I think RFA that guys shouldnt sleep on are Derrick Favors (who I think is a better bball player than Boogie Cousins) and Greg Monroe.

Don't see Deng as an option at 7.5M.  He just went to an allstar game him and the Bulls are at impasse over his contract extension.  This leads me to believe he's looking to get paid handsomely. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#4 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,471 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 05:58 AM

As an alternative to Bledsoe how about Avery Bradley. I know the Celtics like him but given the payroll situation in Boston I think he could be had without overpaying - say 5 million.

Another guy is Trevor Ariza, who could be had for very little as well. 4 million? As a defender and corner-3s guy, he's solid.

Then sign a defender like Ed Davis for 7 million and perhaps round out free agency with Okafor or Gortat at 8 million?

You'd have:

Nash/Bradley/farmar

Kobe/Ariza

Young/Johnson

Davis/Hill

Gasol/?

#5 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,657 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 06:35 AM

That team looks horrible.  I hope Nash isn't our starter past this season.  If they are going to spend paper they need to go with a bang or fall back for 2015 and beyond.  Nickel and diming out the cap room to too many role players is going to ensure LA is a 8th seed team for the rest of Kobe's tenure. If you can't land Melo this year, fall back and see if you can land Love and Rondo in 2015.

As an alternative to Bledsoe how about Avery Bradley. I know the Celtics like him but given the payroll situation in Boston I think he could be had without overpaying - say 5 million.

Another guy is Trevor Ariza, who could be had for very little as well. 4 million? As a defender and corner-3s guy, he's solid.

Then sign a defender like Ed Davis for 7 million and perhaps round out free agency with Okafor or Gortat at 8 million?

You'd have:

Nash/Bradley/farmar

Kobe/Ariza

Young/Johnson

Davis/Hill

Gasol/?

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#6 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,657 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 08:24 AM

Ben Gordon isn't exactly a bad option to consider in 2014 either.

#7 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,471 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 10:43 PM

Kobe's window is between 1-5 years and since we only have draft picks in '14 and '16, building through the draft doesn't make sense, unless it's without Kobe.

If we miss out on Melo or LBJ, I think waiting to rebuilding with FAs in 2015 is a bad idea - there's only a few guys available, such as Rondo, Marc Gasol and Lamarcus Aldridge as well as a couple of players with player options like Kevin Love, Brook Lopez and Roy Hibbert. But Kobe would be a year older and outside Kevin Love, I don't think there are any real franchise players available.

For that reason, I think the best course of action is to do this:

1. Sign Kobe and Gasol as cheap as possible and keep those of our current players who are productive - also as cheap as possible.

2. Make sure we have around 30 million in cap space and then sign players that complement the team. I'd love to have Melo, but instead of paying a 30 year old Melo a max deal starting at 24 million, i'd rather get 3-4 very solid roleplayers (like Lowry, Okafor and Luol Deng) and still have options in 2015.

Edited by DanishLakerFan, October 03, 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#8 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,657 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 04:34 AM

I know I'll get flamed for it but maybe the post Kobe/Gasol era is the best course of action.  Why continue to mortgage the future on them when we can start early? Considering we don't make a splash in '14 or '15.  Trade Gasol and Kobe will most likely retire and the front office can get to work and rebuilding the Lake Show.   I think with the right pieces and another star player Kobe/Gasol can win but that star piece unfortunately probably only Melo and thats not really a guy that you can be comfy with.

I think it comes to down guys accepting that this could be the end.  I've come to grips that we may not ever see the same Kobe/Gasol again so my views are much different. 

Kobe's window is between 1-5 years and since we only have draft picks in '14 and '16, building through the draft doesn't make sense, unless it's without Kobe.

If we miss out on Melo or LBJ, I think waiting to rebuilding with FAs in 2015 is a bad idea - there's only a few guys available, such as Rondo, Marc Gasol and Lamarcus Aldridge as well as a couple of players with player options like Kevin Love, Brook Lopez and Roy Hibbert. But Kobe would be a year older and outside Kevin Love, I don't think there are any real franchise players available.

For that reason, I think the best course of action is to do this:

1. Sign Kobe and Gasol as cheap as possible and keep those of our current players who are productive - also as cheap as possible.

2. Make sure we have around 30 million in cap space and then sign players that complement the team. I'd love to have Melo, but instead of paying a 30 year old Melo a max deal starting at 24 million, i'd rather get 3-4 very solid roleplayers (like Lowry, Okafor and Luol Deng) and still have options in 2015.

Edited by Jody Smokes, October 04, 2013 - 04:35 AM.

#9 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,471 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 11:18 PM

I know I'll get flamed for it but maybe the post Kobe/Gasol era is the best course of action.  Why continue to mortgage the future on them when we can start early? Considering we don't make a splash in '14 or '15.  Trade Gasol and Kobe will most likely retire and the front office can get to work and rebuilding the Lake Show.   I think with the right pieces and another star player Kobe/Gasol can win but that star piece unfortunately probably only Melo and thats not really a guy that you can be comfy with.

I think it comes to down guys accepting that this could be the end.  I've come to grips that we may not ever see the same Kobe/Gasol again so my views are much different. 

First off all, you may be right that the Kobe/Gasol era has run it's course. I personally still believe they can win with the right pieces around them, but in all honesty, who the [expletive] knows. Kobe could come back from injury as a shell of himself.

The thing is, the front office had a chance to go in rebuild mode, by using amnesty on Kobe, trading Gasol and Nash for picks and going all-in on next year's draft. For Kobe, it would perhaps have been a decent decision as well - he could have gone to Chicago for one year and have made a run for another ring w. D-Rose and those boys and then in 2014 we'd have a top5 pick in the strongest draft-class since '03 as well as an empty roster. I even think the fan base would even have accepted that, with Kobe having torn his achillies and all. 

But they didn't, they chose to keep the core intact and therefore, we need to make the best of it.

...which i think we can. Obviously we'd have to wait and see how Kobe recovers, but given his determination and history of outperforming expectations, i think hell be fine. Gasol will be fine as well and the right pieces around them could give them a chance at another ring. 

#10 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,089 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted October 05, 2013 - 05:39 AM

Gasol will be fine as well

And how have you come to this conclusion?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#11 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,089 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 05:44 AM

Off the top of my head, the only players I would keep moving forward are:

Kobe Bryant

Jordan Hill

MAYBE Steve Nash

The younger guys/new guys are playing for future spots

Pau Gasol is GONE

#12 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 863 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted October 05, 2013 - 01:54 PM

You realize that in addition to 62 mil, we'd have MLE right. Also, we'd have cap holds as well for the 1st round draftee in 2014 as well as Robert Sacre .

So, that's 13 mil. Let's say Kobe takes 10 mil, 6 mil for Pau, 4 mil for Nick Young, 3 mil for Jordan Hill.

That's 36 mil total:

27 mill of crap space free

Bogut: 7 mil

Rudy Gay: 7 mil

Sessions: 5 mil

Okafur: 8 mil

Ariza: 5 mil (MLE)

67 mil

Then, get five guys to come for the vet min (Farmar, Jonhson, Blake, couple backup bigs)

How does this sound?

#13 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,657 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 08:11 PM

You realize that in addition to 62 mil, we'd have MLE right. Also, we'd have cap holds as well for the 1st round draftee in 2014 as well as Robert Sacre .

So, that's 13 mil. Let's say Kobe takes 10 mil, 6 mil for Pau, 4 mil for Nick Young, 3 mil for Jordan Hill.

That's 36 mil total:

27 mill of crap space free

Bogut: 7 mil

Rudy Gay: 7 mil

Sessions: 5 mil

Okafur: 8 mil

Ariza: 5 mil (MLE)

67 mil

Then, get five guys to come for the vet min (Farmar, Jonhson, Blake, couple backup bigs)

How does this sound?

If you going to get Rudy Gay the last thing you should do is waste the MLE on Trevor Ariza, considering they play the same position and I don't think Ariza is worthy of the MLE at this point.  I think you may also be underrating the market value of the guys you posted.  Rudy Gay is going to get more than 7M a year, Bogut is a big man and if healthy he's def going to command an 8 figure salary.

#14 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,471 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 03:31 AM

Off the top of my head, the only players I would keep moving forward are:

Kobe Bryant

Jordan Hill

MAYBE Steve Nash

The younger guys/new guys are playing for future spots

I'd keep

Kobe, obviously. But i sure is hell hope he's willing to take a Duncan/KG-esque deal in the 11-12M/yr range. 

Jordan Hill

Steve Nash, if we somehow can land an elite defensive guard, if we can't then we need to trade or stretch him. 

And i know you're gonna puke, but also:

Pau Gasol, if he can be had for 8-ish million.

Other than that, i think whoever plays well this season and can be had for cheap should be kept. 

I think we should spend, at most, 30 million on guys currently on the team, Nash not included.

That would give us somewhere between 22 and 29 million in capspace (plus MLE) depending on what happens with Nash.

#15 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,657 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 05:36 AM

I think our best chance to make a 2014 run (not necessarily my fav option) is resigning Kobe and Pau and getting Melo and Lowry via free agency.  At this point you have to stretch Nash or see if some team wants his aspiring contract for a young scrub or 2 with possible potential.  I know Melo is a guaranteed 22.5M first year, Lowry is in that 2nd/3rd tier or so PGs in the league so he should command a salary of 3yr 25M (8M a year) (If B Jennings and Lin got this his agent will push for it).  For long term success Kobe and Pau cannot resign for anything above 10M going forward.  Considering the 2015 free agency. 

Melo 22.5

Kobe 10

Pau  10

Lowry 8

Nash stretched 3.25

1st rd pick 900k - 5M

This 54.65 to 60M salary before you consider the Sacre contract and Nick Young's player option.  I'm not sure if we will have the MLE or the mini MLE.  This should be used to get a quality bench guy.  Would be a solid respectable team in the West.  Not true contenders though.

#16 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,089 posts

Posted October 06, 2013 - 11:51 AM

waste of 8 mil

Pau Gasol is GONE

#17 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,742 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 08, 2013 - 04:00 PM

If Farmar shows out this year, you could always try giving him the starting point guard position and having Nash come off the bench next year for him.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#18 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,241 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted October 08, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Nash off the bench for Farmar? I don't see that happening. Not even if everything falls in Farmar's favor.

#19 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,241 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted October 08, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Lowry is bad news. I'll pass.

Don't get me started on Melo.

#20 Julien

Julien