Photo

Rondo vs Lowry (best possible target for future)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 04, 2013 - 03:15 PM

Id rather wait for kyrie irving or damien lilard in 2015..

I think we all would but the reality of the new CBA is that those players will stay with their teams.  Unfortunately, they are restricted free agents so lets say we offer Irving the max that we can offer and he signs the offer sheet, the Cavs would get Irving for a bargain by matching that offer.  

#22 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,191 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 04, 2013 - 03:28 PM

Rondo, no question about it.

The Celtics may get Wiggins though, if they do then Rondo is going nowhere.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#23 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,222 posts

Posted November 04, 2013 - 08:11 PM

Rondo is a perennial All-star. Lowry is just another PG in this league. If you have the chance to get someone like Rondo, you do it.

#24 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,518 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 06, 2013 - 06:41 AM

Go read the original post.  It not just a simple choice of Rondo vs Lowry.  Timing, salary and roster fit make a big difference.  The biggest issue is do you wait a whole year and pass up a productive Lowry considering you are trying to make a run for a championship in 2014 and wait for Rondo next year in 2015 and hope that he wants to play in LA?  On top of that Kobe's a full year older, how do you sell this on a possible Melo and other possible free agents.  Nash going into 2014 is not an option. 

I think if you can't swing a guy like Melo then you hold your cards and go for a real rebuild the next year w/ a possible Love and Rondo.  Use 2014 capspace to take on bad contract to get a productive guy or a high pick. 

Rondo is a perennial All-star. Lowry is just another PG in this league. If you have the chance to get someone like Rondo, you do it.

Edited by Jody Smokes, November 06, 2013 - 06:43 AM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#25 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,830 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 06, 2013 - 06:47 AM

I think Rondo is a pipe dream to be honest. The only way we get him is if we take on Gerald Wallace's deal or by trading a high draft pick, but I doubt it.

Lowry is an option - both in a trade and in free agency - and I think it's a very good option, considering the market.

#26 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,518 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 10:14 AM

I won't say he's fully a pipe dream but it's not something they should wait for.  Rondo is a complementary piece.  If we don't have any real pieces in play not sure why Rondo would come to LA. 

I think Rondo is a pipe dream to be honest. The only way we get him is if we take on Gerald Wallace's deal or by trading a high draft pick, but I doubt it.

Lowry is an option - both in a trade and in free agency - and I think it's a very good option, considering the market.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#27 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,031 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 06, 2013 - 11:53 AM

Considering Kobe's age and consummate NBA mileage, the smarter option would be to sign Lowry this coming offseason only if we attain other strong pieces like Melo. You have a playmaker, an above-average defender that can defend opposing PG's (you don't want Kobe doing this like he did last season) in a PG-driven league, and a player that can shoot the midrange. 

You won't need to rely on his playmaking as much since Kobe and Melo are ball-dominant players. Heck, you won't even need that much offense from him, which may force him to exert more energy on the defensive end. 

In the case that we can't obtain key, star players, then it's better to just wait next offseason in the hope we get Rondo and Love. 

#28 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 2,879 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 02:35 PM

Eric Bledsoe.

#29 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,518 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 09:06 PM

We aren't getting Bledsoe or any good restricted FA for that matter

Eric Bledsoe.

#30 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,830 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 10:44 PM

We aren't getting Bledsoe or any good restricted FA for that matter

Depends on the salary situation with the particular team. Phoenix will probably match whatever is offered for Bledsoe, but I could see Boston letting a guy like Avery Bradley go.

#31 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,518 posts

Posted November 08, 2013 - 01:50 PM

PHX can offer a 5th year, other teams can't and they are in the position to match any offer.  If teams want to max him out that's their bad lol.

Depends on the salary situation with the particular team. Phoenix will probably match whatever is offered for Bledsoe, but I could see Boston letting a guy like Avery Bradley go.

#32 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,830 posts

Posted November 09, 2013 - 12:07 AM

PHX can offer a 5th year, other teams can't and they are in the position to match any offer.  If teams want to max him out that's their bad lol.

I'm not saying we have any chance of landing Bledsoe, unless we overpay, by a lot. 

But that's not the same as saying that we wont land any FAs. 

I just think there are many factors playing into team's decisions, when it comes to how much they're willing to pay to keep a player. 

Boston is the best example. They're rebuilding, obviously, but they have a lot of relatively expensive players and going into next season, once they've signed their rookies, they'll be close to the salary cap and may not wish to overpay to keep a guy like Bradley, when they're trying to rebuild. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users