Photo

Rondo vs Lowry (best possible target for future)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,109 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 02, 2013 - 07:45 AM

Looking over some numbers to determine who would be a more viable option for the Lakers going forward.  Most will say Rondo off name alone but when you factor in stats, possible salary, and overall impact Lowry may be as good an option if not better.  I will look post some stuff in this thread to back up those claims.  Please feel free to add an educated opinion to the topic.  No trolling or flaming. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#2 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 02, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Rondo, without a doubt.

Rondo is the better all around player because he's an elite playmaker and plays elite defense.  Lowry is a better a shooter, but Rondo can do it all.

#3 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,109 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 09:21 AM

Rondo:

11-12 year:  17.5 PER  11.6pt 11.4 ast 4.7reb 1.8stl  3.6tpg  45%FG  24% 3pt

12-13 year:  18.1 PER   13.7pt 11.1 ast 5.6 reb 1.8st  3.9 tpg  48%FG 24% 3pt

Lowry

11-12:  18.5 PER   14.3 pt 6.6apg  4.5reb 1.6 stl  2.8 tpg   41%FG  37% 3pt   32.1 MPG

12-13:  17.5 PER   11.6 pt  6.4apg  4.7 reb  1.4 stl  2.3tpg  40%FG  36% 3pt  29.7 MPG

There are some other stats we can go into to compare and contrast them.  From what I'm seeing for a team that needs to take the scoring load off of Kobe and potentially a Melo Lowry seems to be a more viable option value wise. 

Lowry pros: Better shooter, less turnover prone, affordable salary, arguably a better scorer, underrated defender (compares well to Rondo in advanced stats)

Lowry cons: Not championship background, injury prone, history of issues with coaches, not sure if he's a true facilitator due to being on teams where he's needed to score and facilitate. (only 6 assist avg)

Rondo pros:  Champion, great facilitator and defender, we know what to expect from him

Rondo cons:  Is he worth what he's probably going to be asking for (12-15M), horrible outside shooter and FT for his position (his outside shooting can handicap the offense), doesnt look to score often as he could

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#4 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,109 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 09:24 AM

I agree wholeheartedly but my thinking is along the lines of a total team and Rondo is only an option 2 full years from now vs Lowry 2014.  Is Rondo really that much better with Kobe and a potential Melo?  We would have to forgo a year to get him when Lowry could easily fill a lot of the holes that team would need. 

Rondo, without a doubt.

Rondo is the better all around player because he's an elite playmaker and plays elite defense.  Lowry is a better a shooter, but Rondo can do it all.

#5 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 02, 2013 - 09:30 AM

I've said this in the past but it's not necessarily black and white to who you want on the team based off stats, it's about what player fits your team needs. 

If you have a ball dominant player like Kobe or LeBron, you don't necessarily need Rondo because you limit his playmaking skills.  You get the most out of his defense though.  

I've always been a fan of Rondo just because of the intangibles.  I think Lowry is a solid player but moving forward for this team that will be rebuilding in a sense, Rondo is a better piece to build around than Lowry. The league is a point guard driven league and if you have a chance to get an elite guy like Rondo, you don't pass that up. 

You get a guy like Rondo who can match up with any point guard in the league, you get better defensively.  While his offensive game isn't polished, he doesn't need to score to be effective.  You don't find that often in today's point guards.  Nash and CP3 are two point guards over the last few years that I can put in that category.

#6 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,109 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 09:40 AM

This is why I'm stuck and possibly the front office come next year.  Hypothetically speaking, you bring in Melo, Kobe is back in good shape at 36 years of age.  Do you forgo a good piece like Lowry in 2014 or do you wait another year for Rondo?  Maybe it's because I think Kobe is living on borrowed time they may not have the luxury to wait for Rondo to be available and then have to hope he wants to be in LA.  Once you sign Lowry it probably closes the door on Rondo.  You either have a lose lose or a lose win. 

#7 InterNLakerNajkihh

InterNLakerNajkihh

Rookie

• 389 posts
  • Name:Besnik
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted October 02, 2013 - 10:56 AM

rondo for me  , dude is smart and makes quick decisions 

#8 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,391 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted October 02, 2013 - 09:56 PM

Rondo, not close. Lowry is solid but Rondo is a star. Lowry can shoot but he is injury prone as well.

#9 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,573 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted October 02, 2013 - 10:09 PM

I'm not sure why Rondo is even an option. Boston would never give him up, unless we take on a handful of expensive players, which we wont. Signing Rondo as a FA could be an option, but that's two years from now. The Lakers are going to reload next summer.

I've wanted LA to make a run at Lowry for a long time now. He is a very good defender and he is a better shooter/scorer than Rondo, who can be a liability. Another reason why is think Lowry is interesting is because he potentially could be had in a deal with Nash. Toronto is one of the few teams who probably would like to have Nash on their team (him being Canadian and all) and he would actually be a pretty decent fit as a distributer and mentor.  

#10 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,817 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted October 03, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Rondo is my second favorite point after CP3, so I'll take him any day. Rondo is seriously fun to watch, one of the flashiest guards with a straight out will to compete.

#11 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,109 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 05:47 AM

Guys it's not necessarily a Rondo vs Lowry thing.  Rondo is a vacuum is easily the better basketball player. More factors than that.  Do you forgo signing Lowry in 2014 to wait for a possible Rondo in 2015? 

The more I look at Lowry I think he'd be a great fit with a healthy Kobe and Melo.  I like the idea of Rondo post Kobe but not sure if he's truly an option, considering Boston can pay him more and they are set to come back with a bang in the next 2-3 years.

#12 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,573 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 10:50 PM

Guys it's not necessarily a Rondo vs Lowry thing.  Rondo is a vacuum is easily the better basketball player. More factors than that.  Do you forgo signing Lowry in 2014 to wait for a possible Rondo in 2015? 

The more I look at Lowry I think he'd be a great fit with a healthy Kobe and Melo.  I like the idea of Rondo post Kobe but not sure if he's truly an option, considering Boston can pay him more and they are set to come back with a bang in the next 2-3 years.

Hell no! Rondo is coming off a serious injury and in '15 he'll be 29. Who knows if he even wants to play in LA? 

I'd try to do a Nash for Lowry trade this season - perhaps by throwing in a couple of our current pieces. If that doesn't work we could try to sign him this summer. If that doesn't work either, we could try to out-bid Boston and Phoenix for Bradley or Bledsoe.

If all fails, we keep Nash and sign the best available perimeter defender.

#13 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,109 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 04:22 AM

I agree to an extent.  Don't think we should get into a bidding war for Bledsoe.  For one PHX didnt trade for him to lose him and the only way to attain him would be to overpay and I'm not willing to give him 10-11M plus when he has serious questions about his intangibles.

#14 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,573 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 11:56 PM

I agree to an extent.  Don't think we should get into a bidding war for Bledsoe.  For one PHX didnt trade for him to lose him and the only way to attain him would be to overpay and I'm not willing to give him 10-11M plus when he has serious questions about his intangibles.

I think Phoenix will end up overpaying for Bledsoe, but Avery Bradley is another story. They're rebuilding and may not wish to overpay long-term for a roleplayer like Bradley. Also, the only reason why i like Bradley, is because he is the perfect fit next to Nash. If we chose to trade/stretch Nash, i think Kyle Lowry would be a better option.

Hell, if we're going for Lebron perhaps Mo Williams and Anderson Varejao would be nice guys to have...

#15 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 886 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted October 12, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Lowry. But don't trade for him. Sign him. We don't have time for Rondo.

#16 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,109 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 11:12 AM

Pretty much my line of thinking.  Offensively Kobe, Lowry with a possble Melo would be pretty good offensively and much cheaper and less risky vs waiting for a Rondo who may have 0 interest in LA. Also the fact that Kobe would be turning 37

Lowry. But don't trade for him. Sign him. We don't have time for Rondo.

#17 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,301 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted October 12, 2013 - 01:11 PM

Rondo no question.

Rondo may come off as a diva at times but I hear that Lowry is bad news in the locker room.

#18 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,334 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 12, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Also, if rondo feels slighted by what the celtics are doing (tanking) what better way to flip them the bird than sign with Lakers.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#19 beethoven31

beethoven31

Rookie

• 396 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted November 03, 2013 - 10:36 PM

Id rather wait for kyrie irving or damien lilard in 2015..
Posted Image

#20 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,536 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 04, 2013 - 02:47 PM

Id rather wait for kyrie irving or damien lilard in 2015..

Seeing Uncle Drew take over the reigns of the team after Kobe leaving is a dream for me.  Then if we acquire KLove then that would just be amazing.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users