Photo

Jordan Farmar Interview: What Nash is teaching him, chemistry, Kobe, and Wesley Johnson's impressiveness

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,846 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 01, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Farmar Poised for his Second Lakers Run

ts_131001farmar670.jpg

trudell_header_670x100.png

During training camp, a bevy of basketball heads connected to the Lakers in some way are watching practice, and among the most common of general opinions to come out of the building thus far has been how well Jordan Farmar's playing.

"I think what he does, you can already see he’s going to be effective this year," said Mike D'Antoni. "The biggest thing is his toughness. That’s how Steve Blake is. They’re just coming at you. He shoots the ball really well, he’s quick, he’s feisty, he’s got good court vision, so he’s got it all."

MT: How are you approaching this opportunity to potentially get legit minutes in an increased role under a new coach and style that may well suit your strengths?
Farmar: I'm feeling good. I'm really enjoying this style of play and am excited about what I can do under coach D'Antoni. One thing to keep in mind (when I have the ball) is that we still have a very talented team, with a lot of guys who are established and will be a big part of what we do, so that will dictate the offensive flow. But no doubt I'm excited about running this system.

MT: How would you explain your approach to running D'Antoni's offense?
Farmar: It's really about knowing yourself and the players that are on the floor with you. Knowing what specific guys like to do and where they can be successful and then staying aggressive to be able to put them in those positions. So if I can make the defense commit to me, then a guard is going to get an open shot. If I can make the interior defense come out to me, a big man is going to get an opportunity. And if I know where guys want to get the ball to succeed the most, I can focus on that.

MT: I read that you made a joke on media day about being in Nash's ear so much he's going to feel like he's your father?
Farmar: His son follows him around when he works out, and I said I'm going to be the same way.

And he's come up to me more than once saying, 'Feel free to ask me anything you need,' or 'I'm always here to talk to about anything.' Hopefully I can help him rest a little bit, and he can help me grow; it should be a really good combination.

MT: Nash has discussed some difficulties last year with every player buying into what the coach asked for, with a willingness to run screen/roll a particular issue. That doesn't appear to be an issue in this camp?
Farmar: No. If you have four guys standing around and one guy not going to roll, there's no help, there's no weak side action and it breaks down. But if someone sets a good screen and rolls hard, whether they're a great player or not, it creates offense for everybody. So it's just about being committed and doing it. We're going to stay together. We have a good locker room, and everybody respects one another. I don't see us getting divided, even if there are some tough stretches. Chemistry is a big, big thing, and they had a very talented team last year, but they couldn't get on the same page.

MT: It's almost cliché to wax poetic on how great the attitude is early in training camp of any sport, but guys are really pointing out the differences this year at least compared to last. How do you see it, perhaps in comparison to your last Lakers training camp in 2010?
Farmar: The attitude has been great. Everybody is really focused on the same stuff, and competitive. We're trying to win every little scrimmage, every little game. There's been trash talking that carries over to the next day. Everyone is locked in, trying to take advantage of the situation and have fun while doing it.

MT: Or stay healthy. No doubt. Moving on, have you had a chance to break bread with Kobe yet? I know you were always a big fan in your last run together.
Farmar: Big time. I'm a big time supporter and fan of Kobe's. When he's out there, he's trying to win. He makes no excuses, he plays through injuries, he does whatever he can to win. He's dedicated his whole life to that, and I respect him to the fullest. We speak every day about life, about everything. His locker is right next to mine. He's working his butt off every day, excited to get back on the court. It's great to be back around him.

MT: Finally, Jordan, has anybody stood out to you early in camp with certain guys that you haven't played with before?
Farmar: Yeah man, I'm having to get used to Wesley (Johnson). He's really, really long and athletic on defense, and makes some plays that are incredible. He'll be leaning one way, and still manage to reach back and get a steal. He has a knack for getting his hand on the ball, so there are a lot of things he can do on defense that will help us. And he's shooting the hell out of the ball as well, so I've been happy to see that. He's a very, very capable NBA player.

MT: With his length and foot speed, can he slide over to some of the better NBA point guards to relieve Nash specifically in certain situations?
Farmar: Absolutely.

Read More Here: http://www.nba.com/l...01_jordanfarmar

Glad to hear about how thrilled he is to play in the system also about hearing how competitive the camp is and how everyone is looking towards the same goal.   Really glad to hear it, also loving what I'm hearing about Wesley Johnson!!! Could have been the best year to see what he's got considering how strongly he closed out last season when he got playing time.  

If this interview gets a video you can bet I'll post that here too :)

Thoughts?

Edited by Majesty, October 01, 2013 - 05:22 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 01, 2013 - 11:33 PM

I don't know how much playing time he'll get, but I think it would be interesting to see Jordan at 1 and Blake at 2 from time to time. 

#3 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,846 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 11:47 PM

I think Jordan at the 1 and Young at the 2 would be an interesting combination.

#4 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 11:59 PM

I think Jordan at the 1 and Young at the 2 would be an interesting combination.

That's a run-n-gun duo right there and Jordan would help pick a better shot for Young. 

#5 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,846 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 12:13 AM

That's a run-n-gun duo right there and Jordan would help pick a better shot for Young. 

if they really wanted to go Run'N'Gun with our bench unit.

The lineup would be

Farmar
Young
Johnson
Williams
Hill

That's the run'n'gun unit if it was for an extended period. 

You could throw Nash or Blake in there but it wouldn't be able to be done for 'long' stretches.

Undersized too though, but against another 'bench' they'd be fine.

But what Farmar, Young and Johnson or even Nash, Young and Johnson can do on a fast break is something I look forward to seeing.   And I hope everyone stays healthy so I can :)

#6 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,009 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted October 03, 2013 - 07:31 AM

I rather have Farmar start than Nash. and have Nash come in in late game situations 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#7 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Games

• 1,418 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted October 03, 2013 - 10:36 AM

I didn't even know impressiveness was a word. Thank you Majesty for this lesson  :clap2:

#8 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 11:44 AM

I didn't even know impressiveness was a word. Thank you Majesty for this lesson  :clap2:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...because it is a word. 

#9 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Games

• 1,418 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted October 03, 2013 - 01:52 PM

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...because it is a word. 

I'm being honest. I've never heard it used in a sentence..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users