Photo

If Kobe won't be back until around Christmas...

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#21 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,071 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 30, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Tough to predict what they'll play like. (i thought last year the wcf were almost a gimme). But if they start off slow, i sure hope the team figures out why and is able to make adjustments way before they figured it out last year.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick!, 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!)

#22 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,767 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted September 30, 2013 - 05:49 PM

All these teams below tooled the lakers last season.  Maybe things will be different, but I think the Lakers are below .500 at the end of December.

Please tell me how Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, Minnesota(who just lost Chase again), Denver, Sacramento, Washington, Charlotte and Phoenix have better rosters than ours please.

#23 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,624 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted September 30, 2013 - 06:25 PM

Its pretty much a throw away season anyway. Might give a chance for the younger players to develop for the next season.

#24 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,692 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 30, 2013 - 06:32 PM

looking at the first 28 games 18-10 isn't out of the question(without Kobe).  It's not a hard schedule from October to mid December.

Edited by Majesty, September 30, 2013 - 06:33 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#25 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,640 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 30, 2013 - 07:31 PM

"Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, Minnesota(who just lost Chase again), Denver, Sacramento, Washington"

Dallas, NO and Washington have much and more balanced teams.  ATL is ok, Minny and Denver are crapshoots and Sacramento is the only one that is garbage but then again they've managed to wack the Lakers on a few occasions.

You really going to act like NO didnt upgrade as a team?  Davis maturing, Jrue better than anybody on the LA roster active except maybe an engaged Pau.  Dallas dont have Dirk still? Good coaching? Washington wasnt worthy of an 8th seed last year excluding their horrible start due to injuries?  Didnt they kick out ass? The Lakers aren't good on paper w/o Kobe. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#26 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 07:59 PM

"Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, Minnesota(who just lost Chase again), Denver, Sacramento, Washington"

Dallas, NO and Washington have much and more balanced teams.  ATL is ok, Minny and Denver are crapshoots and Sacramento is the only one that is garbage but then again they've managed to wack the Lakers on a few occasions.

You really going to act like NO didnt upgrade as a team?  Davis maturing, Jrue better than anybody on the LA roster active except maybe an engaged Pau.  Dallas dont have Dirk still? Good coaching? Washington wasnt worthy of an 8th seed last year excluding their horrible start due to injuries?  Didnt they kick out ass? The Lakers aren't good on paper w/o Kobe. 

Dallas didn't get any better and we continuously beat them last year.

Hopefully Davis can stay healthy this year and Gordon actually plays.  But aside from that they didn't do much and won't do much this year.   We also beat them consistently last year.  All they added was Jrue Holiday.  That's nice and all but it doesn't mean they are going to be beating us.

We beat Sacramento last year too by the way, they won some games though.

Yet and still this isn't the same team from last year either.  

Not to mention a lot of these losses came without a full lineup as well, not having Nash or not having Blake or not having Pau or Dwight hurt us a LOT last season. 

But that's ignored, and also a lot happened during a transitional period of trying to find an identity which we never found till mid January.

After mid January we struggled on back to backs(coincidentally thats when Denver would beat us) but look at when Denver was nearly unbeatable at home anyway.  But look at what Denver has lost.

Shouldn't we talk about what the other teams have lost too in comparison to us too? 

We have gained a LOT of depth we didn't have last year, and the back to backs with a deeper bench we can now afford to not play some guys big minutes which is an advantage.

The two times the Suns beat us was one without Dwight during the 2nd half of the game and the other time was without Kobe. 

When we lost to washington it was after bringing Pau back and himself getting re-acclimated to the system, same as with Golden State.    And we thumped Sacramento to close the season as well.

Now we've lost Dwight, but we've gained a lot of youth, athleticism AND better shooters.

The teams you keep mentioning beat us on the fast break and along the perimeter, one because of the age of our team, two because we didn't have the shooters that match up.

We do this year.   So that's a difference.

We're a lot better than you're giving us credit for in terms of how "even" we're built.

We're built pretty "evenly" right now.

We have a stretch 4, and we have a physical banging 4.  We have a Center position two deep and the 2nd one isn't Sacre...
We have a point guard rotation of Nash, Blake, and Farmar, and a shooting guard rotation of Nick Young and Jodie Meeks.

it's NOT perfect by any stretch, but there's enough talent on the team to win against that kind of competition and WITH a defined identity which they seem to be getting to. 

It wasn't the "talent" of other teams that were beating us, we beat ourselves a lot of the times and till mid January weren't playing the way we should, on top of that we had a center that refused to pick and roll with Nash or Kobe and was intent to play to his weaknesses rather than his strengths. 

Not the case this year.

Lost our main rim protector, but we got a team that fits better, will have a better chemistry, and guys surrounded by better shooters.

That does account for something and the backup of Farmar is a lot better than the backup of Morris.  So yeah, 18-10 from October to Christmas isn't out of the question considering our roster if Kobe's not playing.

Those games should be winnable.

#27 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 465 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted September 30, 2013 - 10:25 PM

Please tell me how Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, Minnesota(who just lost Chase again), Denver, Sacramento, Washington, Charlotte and Phoenix have better rosters than ours please.

-Mavs have Dirk, Monta, Carter, and Marion. I think thats better than Lakers without Kobe.

-New Orleans have Holiday, Davis, Evans, Gordon, Anderson. So without Kobe I think they are better as well.

-Twolves have Love, Martin, Pekovic, Rubio, and Williams. If they stay healthy I think they are better than Lakers without Kobe again.

-Denver lost Iggy but they got Robinson, Hickson, and Foye over the summer so losing Iggy wasn't really that bad. I still think they are better than Lakers without Kobe.

Teams above are arguably better than Lakers without Kobe. 

#28 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 11:16 PM

-Mavs have Dirk, Monta, Carter, and Marion. I think thats better than Lakers without Kobe.

-New Orleans have Holiday, Davis, Evans, Gordon, Anderson. So without Kobe I think they are better as well.

-Twolves have Love, Martin, Pekovic, Rubio, and Williams. If they stay healthy I think they are better than Lakers without Kobe again.

-Denver lost Iggy but they got Robinson, Hickson, and Foye over the summer so losing Iggy wasn't really that bad. I still think they are better than Lakers without Kobe.

Teams above are arguably better than Lakers without Kobe. 

Dirk is about as far gone as Pau in terms of health.

Monta is no better than Young in terms of shooting or scoring.

Marion is amazingly still relevant to an extent.  Carter is old and for the most part done.

They lost Collison, we have Farmar and Nash and Blake

They also lost Kaman who is on our team.

We have a deeper bench than theirs.  

So I don't see the Mavs being better.  Our starting lineups are gonna be even for the most part and our bench trumps theirs.

Holiday is good, and a matchup between him and Farmar will be fun to watch.
If Davis can stay healthy he'll be good but he isn't going to outplay Pau at the 5 if pau himself is also healthy, he isn't ready for that matchup yet.

Tyreke Evans is a good addition but again, if he stays healthy and he'll be coming off the bench so we'll see the adjustment there.
But aside from Evans off that bench who is their biggest threat?  Rivers?  
amazingly our bench still trumps theirs.    Farmar, Blake, Meeks, Kaman, Williams, Landry beats what they have in Tyreke and Rivers.  Our bench depth is a big reason why we can have early success. 

I think you're also underestimating how much of an impact Young can make playing next to Nash and Pau in terms of both of them creating easy opportunities for him, the style we'll be playing in does wonders for players like him.

Twolves have Love(if healthy),  Rubio(if recovered),  Martin(lol), Pekovic is good, Williams...really???   Williams???   And they lost Chase Budinger again.   

let's match them up

Point guard
Nash  / Blake / Farmar vs Rubio / Barea / Shved

Shooting Guard
Young / Meeks vs Martin / Jeffers

Small Forward
Wesley Johnson / Marcus Landry vs Hummel / Muhammad

Power Forward
Jordan Hill / Shawne Williams vs  Love / Cunningham

Center
Pau Gasol / Chris Kaman vs Pekovic / Turiaf  ...

Doesn't look so one sided does it ;)  And as far as Derrick Williams goes, Johnson looked the better of the two, not only that but when he got away from Minnesota and was actually given time in Phoenix he showed the upside people were expecting, Williams seems stuck in Minnesota with a coach that has no clue what he wants to do with him.

Denver also lost their COACH and shall be searching for that identity as well as the respect for Shaw while losing their facilitator as well as their defensive anchor in Iggy.  Getting nate robinson doesn't change that.    So YES losing Iggy IS that bad and on top of that they lost George Karl too.

You're overplaying some additions of other teams and downplaying the additions on the Lakers when they more or less are on even terms in a lot of them.     "arguably" ;)

Edited by Majesty, September 30, 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#29 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,143 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted October 01, 2013 - 05:57 AM

No comment dont want to hex him

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#30 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,852 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 01, 2013 - 07:58 AM

Kobe just tweeted "12th"

He sees Jodie and Nick and Wes and Jordan and Jordan and Steve and Steve and Pau and HIMSELF. 

He is highly motivated to return as soon as he can with medical clearance but also

he is looking at his talent around him and LAUGHING at the idea that this team is not going to be a very good team with it's overall talent and depth

#31 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,071 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 08:08 AM

Kobe just tweeted "12th"

He sees Jodie and Nick and Wes and Jordan and Jordan and Steve and Steve and Pau and HIMSELF. 

He is highly motivated to return as soon as he can with medical clearance but also

he is looking at his talent around him and LAUGHING at the idea that this team is not going to be a very good team with it's overall talent and depth

Tempted to do a vegas road trip and while there, put a hundy down on the lakers just for Shts&ggls.

Couple years back before lockout did the same but on the spurs who were 30-1 ($3000). They went to the WCF, go up 2-0 to thunder and then lose the series. Had given the ticket to a friend (another laker fan) going thru chemo, and surgeries to keep his spirits up. Which it did and he's doing well happy to say.

Probably keep the slip this time around.

Edited by kball, October 01, 2013 - 08:09 AM.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick!, 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!)

#32 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted October 01, 2013 - 08:38 AM

As a lifelong Cubs fan, I can spot the difference between delusional optimism and reality.  18-10 without Kobe?  I can see 13 likely losses before Xmas without looking real hard at it.

#33 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 04:20 PM

As a lifelong Cubs fan, I can spot the difference between delusional optimism and reality.  18-10 without Kobe?  I can see 13 likely losses before Xmas without looking real hard at it.

name them

#34 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,071 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 05:20 PM

Just want to point out that many a past laker seasons are littered with losses to teams penciled in as W's.

I mean if history is any guide.

#35 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,130 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted October 02, 2013 - 08:51 AM

Just want to point out that many a past laker seasons are littered with losses to teams penciled in as W's.

I mean if history is any guide.

This is true.  Lakers always play down to their level of competition even with Shaq and Kobe or during the championship run with Pau.  I dont know why and I dont know how.  It is mostly in  the mindset i guess.  Lakers thing is this. They always lose to bad teams and sometimes beat good teams.  Nothing is an easy schedule for the lakers.  And they always lose up in Portland.

So as much as I agree wth Majesty in a lot of things, he is so wrong about this one.  Easy schedule? Not for the lakers

Edited by epicwolf, October 02, 2013 - 08:52 AM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#36 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,692 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 01:25 PM

This is true.  Lakers always play down to their level of competition even with Shaq and Kobe or during the championship run with Pau.  I dont know why and I dont know how.  It is mostly in  the mindset i guess.  Lakers thing is this. They always lose to bad teams and sometimes beat good teams.  Nothing is an easy schedule for the lakers.  And they always lose up in Portland.

So as much as I agree wth Majesty in a lot of things, he is so wrong about this one.  Easy schedule? Not for the lakers

How often are the Lakers seen as the underdogs and picked to finish 12th ?

#37 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,071 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 05:44 AM

13-15 seems like a reasonable goal. I think in that interview w MDA that was posted he said its more HOW Kobe comes back then WHEN. I'd agree 

#38 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,130 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted October 03, 2013 - 07:40 AM

How often are the Lakers seen as the underdogs and picked to finish 12th ?

what does this have to do with anything?   The fact of the matter is the Lakers always have issues with bad teams. Sure they tend to win most of them but it is never a gimme game for the Lakers.  Guess what teams did the bobcats have the winning record against for the past 5 years?  Last I check the Lakers was pretty good the last 5 years or so.  Except when smush parker running the show.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#39 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,071 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 09:13 AM

what does this have to do with anything?   The fact of the matter is the Lakers always have issues with bad teams. Sure they tend to win most of them but it is never a gimme game for the Lakers.  Guess what teams did the bobcats have the winning record against for the past 5 years?  Last I check the Lakers was pretty good the last 5 years or so.  Except when smush parker running the show.

Actually i get the picked 12th comment. Meaning teams always in the past took games off against other teams cause they knew they had to play harder against the lakers to get a win as the lakers were usually a powerhouse.

Maybe this season teams will be looking past us to teams they fear more right after they play us...or right before

#40 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,320 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted October 03, 2013 - 09:19 AM

dont forget we got nicki :D

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users