Photo

If Kobe won't be back until around Christmas...

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,150 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted September 30, 2013 - 01:18 PM

what will be the lakers record when we start having an xmas massacre against the heat?     And will MDA be let go by then?

before some lakers hopeful yelling "kb24" will be back for opening night, it doesn't seem promising that he will be back in november let a lone opening night.  But drink your optimus prime drink all you want. I say the earliest is he will be back end of November and thats cus Kobe is a freak. Normally people be out until february with this injury.

Edited by epicwolf, September 30, 2013 - 01:20 PM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,470 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted September 30, 2013 - 01:35 PM

Back before xmas

/thread

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,158 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 30, 2013 - 01:45 PM

what will be the lakers record when we start having an xmas massacre against the heat?     And will MDA be let go by then?

before some lakers hopeful yelling "kb24" will be back for opening night, it doesn't seem promising that he will be back in november let a lone opening night.  But drink your optimus prime drink all you want. I say the earliest is he will be back end of November and thats cus Kobe is a freak. Normally people be out until february with this injury.

Cause semi-practicing with the team and getting in 5 hours of work with the doctors around on the court(according to D'antoni) is no progress whatsoever?

Kobe is out there shooting and doing what drills he can with the team.  That doesn't sound like a guy that's gonna be out for the next 3 months... 

Knock on wood for no setbacks.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#4 lakersp4p

lakersp4p

Rookie

• 813 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted September 30, 2013 - 02:44 PM

optimus prime drink lol

#5 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted September 30, 2013 - 02:55 PM

Xmas? All reports leading him to start at beginning of the season

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#6 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,774 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted September 30, 2013 - 03:09 PM

If Kobe isn't back until late December, the Lakers small chances of making the playoffs evaporate.  The season not be good and there will be a sell off of MDA inflated assets before the trade deadline.  

#7 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,794 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 30, 2013 - 03:10 PM

If Kobe isnt back by Xmas...this team will probably be dead in the water. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#8 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 863 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted September 30, 2013 - 03:23 PM

Then might as well not play him at all unless we are in the playoff picture. Might give us a slight slight chance at Wiggins.

#9 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,158 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 03:24 PM

Then might as well not play him at all unless we are in the playoff picture. Might give us a slight slight chance at Wiggins.

no

#10 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,794 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 03:47 PM

Pretty much this.  No point in Kobe gunning his way to a 35 win year if he comes back and they are like 12 games behind lol.  I'd rather see him go out gracefully or just wait til 2014 and see what happens with free agency.

If Kobe isn't back until late December, the Lakers small chances of making the playoffs evaporate.  The season not be good and there will be a sell off of MDA inflated assets before the trade deadline.  

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#11 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,158 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 03:56 PM

kobebryant

#cloudy? #eat

b4ea38ae29a211e3a38a22000aa805e3_7.jpg

#12 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,774 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:20 PM

If Kobe doesn't come back the lakers aren't great. I think he will be back much sooner and play great. Coming back from a devastating injury will cement his name as one of the greatest ever.

#13 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,378 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:33 PM

I really don't believe with the team we have you guys are acting as if Kobe is the end all be all for a 8th seed. This team is much better than last year. I personally can't wait to see Nash hitting Swaggy P with perfect passes. I can't wait to see a healthy Pau in the post where he belongs.  Wesley & Shawnee embarrassing other small forwards. I can't wait to see a healthy Jordan Hill and Captain KAAAAAA MaNNNNN being rough and tough. Jodie, Blake and Farmar strokin 3's and playing Scrappy D. The hell with Jamison, D12, Ron Ron, Chris Duhon and Earl Clark!!

Edited by lakersince75, September 30, 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#14 Mastas

Mastas

Rookie

• 805 posts
  • Fan Since:started watching NBA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:39 PM

</thread>

Fixed :)

#15 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,172 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:41 PM

I'd have no problem if he waited 4-6 weeks when season starts to get back. Gives other guys a chance to step up that we didn't foresee and helps team in the long run (playoff depth).

Especially if he can come back closer to 100% and less chance of reinjury or injuring another part of his body because of compensating.

If i had to choose between waiting for a healthy kobe or squeaking into playoffs with him hobbling the whole year, i pick the waiting

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,158 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:41 PM

If you look at the teams depth and look at the schedule BEYOND the first 3 games which seems to be the primary focus..

We should be able to manage a winning record if we have to go some time without Kobe. 

I mean seriously does this team have less depth than the Matt Barnes lead Lakers when we went what was it 8-1 when Kobe was sitting out and we had no backup 2? 

Does it really?  

With Nick Young, Steve Nash, Jordan Hill and Pau Gasol in the starting lineup you have a pretty solid team, you don't have a championship team but you have a team that can stay above .500

And the bench isn't too bad either with Kaman, Williams, Meeks and Farmar and Blake, Landry coming off of it. 

I think our depth is being severely underrated.

Kobe when he comes back isn't gonna be the Kobe carrying us with 30+ points a game, and the GOAL of this season is that he doesn't have to be.  That's our goal. Wesley, Young and Meeks are supposed to spell him of his minutes anyway.

And it isn't like we'd have to overplay Nash or Pau either.  Blake and Farmar can spell his minutes while Kaman can spell minutes for Gasol or you could switch Hill there depending on matchups and minutes played.

So the fact that this team is just gonna be "SO FAR UNDER .500" without Kobe before we even see how they work together is sort of jumping the gult a bit imo.

#17 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,158 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:50 PM

Let's actually break down that schedule

October
Clippers
Warriors

Spurs

Best Case: 3-0
Worst Case: 0-3
Median: 1-2

November

Atlanta
Dallas

Houston
New Orleans
Minnesota
New Orleans
Denver

Memphis
Detroit

Golden State
Sacramento

Washington
Brooklyn
Detroit

Best case: 11-3
Worst case 7-7
Median: 9-5

December(to Christmas)
Portland
Sacramento

Toronto
Phoenix

OKC

Charlotte

Atlanta

Memphis
Minnesota

Golden State
Phoenix
Miami (Christmas)

Best Case: 9-2
Worst case: 6-5
Median: 8-3

So in total imo
Best Case: 23-5
Worst Case: 13-15
Likely Median: 18-10

We have one of the easiest schedules from October to Christmas this year...

Do you honestly feel that a team with as much depth as we have right now, is "likely" to take a "severe" losing record into Christmas shall they be that long without Kobe?

I'm skeptical.   I think we could win a majority of these games.

Edited by Majesty, September 30, 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#18 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,794 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 05:06 PM

Majority of the teams on that list are better rosters overall with us missing Kobe and have players that can actually play defense.  You can convince yourself otherwise though.  Jordan Hill is our best defensive player.  Let that sink in. 

#19 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,794 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 05:08 PM

A likely median of 18-10 w/o Kobe?  That means you are putting this team at a pace to win 50 games w/o Kobe.  You might as well say they are 60 win team with him and we know that isn't the case.  If Kobe is anything like last year I expect this team to be in the playoffs but I don't see him being able to bail them out if he's out 28 games. 

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,158 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 05:09 PM

Majority of the teams on that list are better rosters overall with us missing Kobe and have players that can actually play defense.  You can convince yourself otherwise though.  Jordan Hill is our best defensive player.  Let that sink in. 

Please tell me how Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, Minnesota(who just lost Chase again), Denver, Sacramento, Washington, Charlotte and Phoenix have better rosters than ours please.

A likely median of 18-10 w/o Kobe?  That means you are putting this team at a pace to win 50 games w/o Kobe.  You might as well say they are 60 win team with him and we know that isn't the case.

Wrong.

18-10 from October to Christmas doesn't equal 18-10 stretches for the rest of the way unless we're facing the exact same schedule multiple times.

Our schedule is relatively easy from October to Christmas, 18-10 doesn't mean we're headed to 50 wins, it just means that our schedule is easier during the first half than it will be in the second half the easier first half increases our chances of winning games while Kobe is out, it's all about the schedule Jody.  You know better.

I don't think they are a 60 win team with Kobe easing his way back, the thing is the first half of the season is relatively easy, the second half of the season is going to be very difficult by comparison :)  

No question they are a playoff team, where they fall is up to question of the health of everyone including Kobe.

BUT if it comes down to the first part of the season from October to Christmas(which is what this is about) the odds of us having a winning record are greater than they would be if we had to go through the second half of the season without him.    The 18-10 isn't really my pacing for a 50 win season, it's more showing how easy the first half of the schedule is and why odds are in our favor for a winning record by that point.

Edited by Majesty, September 30, 2013 - 05:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users