Photo

Lakers Practice Updates: Day 25: Rambis works with big men; Gasol wants to pick and roll more; D'antoni wants more rolling, less jump shots (Pg. 16)

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#41 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,167 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted September 29, 2013 - 02:05 PM

great news 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#42 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,466 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 29, 2013 - 02:05 PM

When asked what the offense may look like D'antoni cited the last month or so of last season was a close guess.

D'antoni: The last month or two I thought our offense was doing ok and whether it's the way I'd like to play or not is irrelevant.  We're gonna have to play to the strengths of the team and get them to play as efficient as we can.  Every team has a rhythm that they run to.  Whether I like to run a little faster or not just doesn't really matter, it's what the players can do and we will adjust to find their strengths and find that rhythm.  The difference is we don't have to hunt or peck and go through people's personalities to figure out what  gets them going and what doesn't as it's been a month now we've been with players.  You also find out what works and what doesn't work, not when they're putting up 'W's' and 'L's'(in the middle of the season), it's during pre-season when you try different things without getting clobbered if you lost a game, so it's(pre-season) a natural process that's gonna take 30-40 days to figure out how to play the team the best we can at the level we need to play.

I LIKE IT!   So basically he's gonna stick with the blueprint of what we were running last year in the final few months of the season.  

Glad to hear it.  Also glad to hear that he doesn't care if it's not the 'exact' system he is used to running and he'd rather adjust it to the players.   He does seem a lot more humble about his system and the enforcement and is listening to players.

Also probably helps that he got to know all the new players for the past month and a half and scrimmaged with them so he learned their tendencies.

All the players showing up a month and a half before training camp and scrimmaging and playing is gonna help this team LOADS when it comes down to it because it means we can spend less time learning their tendencies during camp and more time perfecting utilizing them.   D'antoni seems to get that vibe too.  Sounds good! 

Edited by Majesty, September 29, 2013 - 02:12 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

• 40,416 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 02:34 PM

Pau Gasol discusses contract negotiations and uncertainty for next season. Plus, looking ahead to this season.

Pau Gasol and Steve Nash's injuries were a primary topic of conversation after Sunday's Lakers practice. Pau Gasol Says he'll never be 100 percent.

yo.

#44 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,466 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 02:51 PM

Steve Nash and Mike D'antoni talk about how chemistry is different this year

#45 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,466 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 03:35 PM

VIDEO: @paugasol on how he's feeling physically heading into training camp - http://on.nba.com/14VSzNM

VIDEO: @SteveNash talks about how a full training camp with be beneficial for both Mike D’Antoni and the team - http://on.nba.com/18CQp4M

There's also a D'antoni interview that hasn't been linked yet.

#46 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,167 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted September 29, 2013 - 03:53 PM

I watch those videos every day of the season

Edited by True Lakers Fan, September 29, 2013 - 03:53 PM.

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#47 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,466 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 04:11 PM

I watch those videos every day of the season

Same here!!

#48 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,393 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted September 29, 2013 - 05:10 PM

They do, they seem like a group of guys that like being around each other.

Team's gonna have to play unified where as last year it seemed like there were forces working for the team to actually break apart..

I think it had to do with the clashing philosophies of two of the captains.

However this year it seems we have guys that want to WIN as well as have fun.  Coming here for less money says that, they will play like their careers depend on it, and with a chip on their shoulder and that can work for us because Kobe ALWAYS plays that way.

I just want us to remain healthy as well!!! 

But I love how happy we look around each other :)   Kobe seems to be more upbeat this year too.

No Power struggles. No Ron Ron saying crazy stuff. A full camp, Just a bunch of real ballers listening to a couple of old Hall of Famers.. Nice mix. If this crew can stay healthy and find a 6/10 Bruiser;50+ wins is a given

#49 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,151 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 05:22 PM

As long as hill starts I'll be happy. If Kaman and gasol start I'm gonna poke my eye
Posted Image

#50 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,466 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 05:33 PM

As long as hill starts I'll be happy. If Kaman and gasol start I'm gonna poke my eye

prepare to poke your eye for at least 2 pre-season games then heheh that's my prediction on how often it's tried.  Hope Hill can hit that mid range consistently

#51 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,151 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 05:38 PM

Gasol and Kaman starting would have us fighting a defecit every game. We'd be the slowest team in the history of basketball

Add the fact that Nash is at PG

Youre talking arguably the worst defense maybe ever
Posted Image

#52 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,823 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted September 29, 2013 - 05:47 PM

Wait ... they're having fun again?

But didnt we criticize Dwight for wanting to have fun?

#53 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,466 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Are you really trying to make that comparison?

#54 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,296 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:02 PM

on court they are going to be business. Having fun during practice is good while they take care of their drills. Dwight is smiles 100% of the time win or lost

ap1.png

#55 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,466 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 06:05 PM

on court they are going to be business. Having fun during practice is good while they take care of their drills. Dwight is smiles 100% of the time win or lost

Yep, his happiness really had nothing to do with wins or losses, it had to do with getting his way.

He didn't "have fun" if he had to do it any other way.

The most important "fun" is that we feel like an actual "team" now and are having fun because of the relationship and chemistry they were building.

Last year wasn't "fun" last year was 'placate to Dwight till it no longer makes sense so he stays happy and re-signs' and that caused a lot of rifts in the air and he felt like he could tell Kobe about the right way to win a ring.

Dwight only had 'fun' when the Lakers did everything he wanted them to do, win lose or draw, there was nothing that felt like a 'team'.

THIS feels like a 'team'

I think Ramona Shelbourne said it perfectly.  "The ego's have left the building."

#56 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 29, 2013 - 09:24 PM

Really love everything you put up here, Majesty. I'm happy that the center position will finally belong to Pau. 

• 40,416 posts

Posted September 29, 2013 - 11:38 PM

So Pau & the Predator will never be 100%. That's a tad discouraging, but what are ya' gonna' do? Obviously Kobe won't either, but he hasn't been so in years anyway.

yo.

#58 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,649 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 30, 2013 - 02:38 AM

Last year, from the first practices, to the preseason, and thru the first few games, the team just didn't look right...
You could discount the 0-11 preseason ( I didn't) but opening night, you saw Dwight Howard doing his immature pre game ritual, and Steve Nash and Dwight bumped into each other.

It was an ominous sign
The team never gelled

I want this team to come out hot...
Winning most of the preseason games

#59 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,466 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 02:57 AM

Last year, from the first practices, to the preseason, and thru the first few games, the team just didn't look right...
You could discount the 0-11 preseason ( I didn't) but opening night, you saw Dwight Howard doing his immature pre game ritual, and Steve Nash and Dwight bumped into each other.

It was an ominous sign
The team never gelled

I want this team to come out hot...
Winning most of the preseason games

90% of the team(except Pau and Kobe) have been scrimmaging and getting the system down and having their tendencies learned for the past month and a half prior to camp as well as learning the offensive and defensive sets they are gonna be using, and practicing defense 'all summer long' according to Rambis.

So there is a reason they feel like they are gelling better now :) Last season only 3rd and 4th stringers along with Jordan Hill particupated in pre-camp workouts.  This year 90% of the team did it and got the chemistry flowing early.

L.A.’s approach with both players will to be to limit their overall exertion in training camp while getting them enough reps to get in game shape and get integrated with their teammates. It’s way too early to tell how that will work for either player, but significantly, both are in solid shape thus far.

“Pau was out there (Saturday),” said Mike D’Antoni. “I just won’t let him and Steve Nash do two-a-days. They know what we’re trying to do. They were in the film room. I just didn’t want them to push it early. They could have gone if they needed to.”

Camp started on Saturday night and continued into Sunday morning’s session at the team’s practice facility, with an emphasis on general teaching as is consistent for most teams.

“The biggest thing is trying to put in everything we do,” said D’Antoni. “We try to teach them everything first and then we’ll break it down each day. Yesterday was just devoted to how we want to play offensively and defensively, and today we’ll start breaking down segments of it.”

In essence, the morning sessions are for film and the putting in of various sets and schemes. At night, the players scrimmage. The fact that nearly the entire roster has been at the facility playing games and working out for most of September has aided the process.

“These guys have been going 90 percent for the last month, so it’s pretty smooth and they’re pretty far along,”

MORE HERE: http://blog.lakers.c...tected-in-camp/

It's good to know that Nash and Pau went full bore today, it's just that D'antoni didn't want them running two a days but they "could" if he wanted them to. 

Thats really good news.  So let's hope there's no setbacks and they all get through camp healthy as well as the pre-season!!

Nash also said that he feels like we're starting to build and identity and how we want to play which is something he never felt last year and that guys are getting an idea what they want to do where they want to find each other etc.

That month and a half of scrimmages prior to camp starting by most everyone on the roster is I think a big reason for that and put them a bit ahead of the curve imo when camp began.

#60 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,449 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 30, 2013 - 01:48 PM

Yep, his happiness really had nothing to do with wins or losses, it had to do with getting his way.

He didn't "have fun" if he had to do it any other way.

The most important "fun" is that we feel like an actual "team" now and are having fun because of the relationship and chemistry they were building.

Last year wasn't "fun" last year was 'placate to Dwight till it no longer makes sense so he stays happy and re-signs' and that caused a lot of rifts in the air and he felt like he could tell Kobe about the right way to win a ring.

Dwight only had 'fun' when the Lakers did everything he wanted them to do, win lose or draw, there was nothing that felt like a 'team'.

THIS feels like a 'team'

I think Ramona Shelbourne said it perfectly.  "The ego's have left the building."

Dwight's ego doesn't even sniff Kobe's. Kobe and Jordan have the biggest egos in sports history. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users