Photo

Lakers Practice Updates: Day 25: Rambis works with big men; Gasol wants to pick and roll more; D'antoni wants more rolling, less jump shots (Pg. 16)

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#281 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,471 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 27, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Still not feeling all that great about seeing Pau take so many damn jumpers. Yeah, he can make some here & there, but I'd much rather him emphasize getting closer looks to the basket more often on the post.

Plus when he's out around the perimeter so much, we lose more possibility for potential offensive rebounds/2nd chance opportunities.

Our big man, especially as skilled as Pau, should and can be shooting a much higher percentage from the field overall.

I can understand the outside shot from time to time for certain plays & sets & pick & pops or whatever, but just don't fall in love with it so much. He has the tendency to do that it seems more often than I'd like to see personally.

the main thing with Pau is it seems very apparent when he takes jumpers it's of his own will.

D'antoni has basically given him the freedom to do whatever he wants to do.   So when Pau wants to shoot a jumper he'll shoot a jumper, when he decides he wants to post up he'll pass up on the jumper and take it to the post.

So I don't mind it so much, Pau seems to have the freedom to do whatever he feels like in this offense and D'antoni is trusting him with it, so what Pau does is up to him.  

Long as when that jumper isn't falling he starts going back into the post which Gasol said he's going to do.

While openly saying he's choosing what he wants to do offensively as D'antoni has given him that freedom.

As Gasol said "I'll get closer to the basket more often than not, I really don't have to take jumpers with as many shooters as we have."

I think he does it to get the defense to respect it, then about 2 or 3 plays later he takes it from the high screen and backs the defender down to the post instead.

Pretty much doing what he used to do in the triangle anyway, so no issues.

I wonder how many people recognize when we run triangle sets =P   Rambis and D'antoni seem to have worked on this offense imo.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

• 40,416 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 05:02 PM

^ Speaking of Rambis & MDA, I would've loved to have heard or been in on the conversation/exchange those two were in when they first met together upon Rambis joining the staff & breaking the ice over their bad history prior, lol.

yo.

#283 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 05:09 PM

^ Speaking of Rambis & MDA, I would've loved to have heard or been in on the conversation/exchange those two were in when they first met together upon Rambis joining the staff & breaking the ice over their bad history prior, lol.

Well apparently D'antoni wanted to bring Rambis in when he signed on as coach of the Lakers first but there was contractual issues.

Perhaps that's why he never really went hard after Gentry or Nate and just kept Brown's staff for the most part. 

it seems to me though that he's getting everyone at the right time as right now it seems like a perfect mixture thus far.    Rambis throwing in his triangle concepts and defensive strategies, D'antoni throwing in the pick and roll game and things like that.

I love seeing the 4 pass plays and the 3 pass triangle plays, it's really fun, you see a lot of it with Kaman and Gasol when Nash back screens. It's a lot of fun to see.  

Like I said I love our offense thus far, even when Blake was going 1-21 they were all good shots.   he got the same exact shots the other night and they went in and he wound up with 19 points.

A lot of our shots are unforced and more or less wide open and our guys are confidently making plays.

Last year I noted with the Princeton that a majority of our shots were wide open as well.  But our guys weren't exactly making plays confidently in them and hesitated.(except Gasol, Nash(before injury) and Kobe)

But this year they are getting a lot of great looks and confidently making the passes. 

That fast break to a 3 pass wide open in transition three for Meeks was a thing of beauty lol. 

It's the defense that we need to work, and Rambis has done a great job implementing the team defense strategy.   Just a few things to address on the offensive rebound front and how many of our guys run back on defense when it's a jumpshot.  Because all 4 are taking off now to prevent us being run on lol.

• 40,416 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 05:18 PM

In fact since the media tends to love drama & controversy so much, especially in Lakerland, I'm really surprised even more that no reporter ever seemed to interview or question MDA nor Kurt about each other & their past specifically. Guess we may never know.

yo.

#285 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 05:25 PM

In fact since the media tends to love drama & controversy so much, especially in Lakerland, I'm really surprised even more that no reporter ever seemed to interview or question MDA nor Kurt about each other & their past specifically. Guess we may never know.

I find it amazing too.   Being that D'antoni wanted Rambis when he first came.  they tried to make his hiring because Rambis "blasted" D'antoni in the media.

Well one year later it appears it wasn't the case.   Apparently there were contractual issues where he couldn't sign him, but according to Rambis he always knew he was going to be part of the staff eventually, so when D'antoni came to him after the season he knew what the answer was going to be. 

The more I think about last year and what Rambis would have done with the team defensive concept I wonder.  

Because this year not only D'antoni but Rambis gets to start fresh with the guys, implementing his philosophies from day one, even our summer league team you could see played different.

So when it comes down to it, it feels like perfect timing for everything to me.

We just have to go out there and play at a high level till Kobe returns.  If we're over .500 around December and Kobe still hasn't returned because he's getting himself in Mamba shape, then it's a good sign for us.

It's also helps that teams like Memphis and OKC are gonna be falling off this year significantly :laughing:

Edited by Majesty, October 27, 2013 - 05:25 PM.

• 40,416 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 05:33 PM

It's also helps that teams like Memphis and OKC are gonna be falling off this year significantly

I know it's early, but I wouldn't be surprised if Memphis is almost forced to fire their coach at some point in the season. Players haven't looked all that happy playing for him and I think some of the guys may be resentful & miss Hollins.

yo.

#287 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,923 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 27, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Im prepared to get destroyed by atleast 15 by both LAC and GSW

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#288 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 06:13 PM

I know it's early, but I wouldn't be surprised if Memphis is almost forced to fire their coach at some point in the season. Players haven't looked all that happy playing for him and I think some of the guys may be resentful & miss Hollins.

It's not just that, they have no offensive guy to get the ball to and they have no real offensive set.  They, like Indiana threw all their eggs in the defensive basket and depended on their guys in isolation situations. 

This point was hammered home more when they got rid of Rudy Gay for Tayshaun prince...

It took till THIS year for the Bulls to finally get it, and develop and offensive system and Rose has benefited as has his teammates.

But teams like Memphis and Indiana still seem to have not gotten that.

#289 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 01:41 AM

D'antoni interview

Kaman Interview

VIDEO: @ChrisKaman talks about how he feels physically after returning to the court for the first time in 9 days - http://on.nba.com/17qttbm

Gasol Interview

VIDEO: @paugasol talks about the difference in his role with the team this year opposed to last year - http://on.nba.com/16fjJjf

#290 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 01:45 AM

Sunday Practice Report

blog_131027kaman.jpg

With the exception of Kobe Bryant (Achilles), the Lakers expect to have a full roster of players available on Tuesday when the regular season begins.

The only other player not available in Friday’s preseason finale, Chris Kaman, returned to practice on Sunday after missing nearly a week-and-a-half because of gastroenteritis.

“I feel good,” he said. “My first practice in nine days, but I feel good. I was winded today but a couple more days and I’ll be good to go, so I’m not really worried about (my conditioning).”

With Kaman absent from the lineup in the team’s final two preseason games, coach Mike D’Antoni started Shawne Williams at the four alongside Pau Gasol, and used Wesley Johnson off the bench to play the stretch four position. The coach, though, chose to remain mum when asked about the starting lineup for the season opener.

“I’m not ready to make that announcement yet,” D’Antoni said. “We’ll see how everybody feels on Tuesday. We can go all kinds of different ways. We have a lot of good players and some have put their nose out further than the others. We could play guys in different combos that in the first month or so we can experiment a bit.”

Read More at: http://blog.lakers.c...ctice-report-5/

Important quote: “Everybody knows what their role needs to be, and they’re comfortable with that role,” he said. “That’s the makings of a good team.”

All good things thus far.

Edited by Majesty, October 28, 2013 - 01:47 AM.

#291 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 12:31 PM

Lakers Training Camp Day 21

Williams believes he is starting, Nash good to go, Wesley the last person in the gym

1 day. #LakersTipOff pic.twitter.com/YNlcMKxC28

BXref8ACEAEZwcE.jpg

D’Antoni on Opening Night: “It’s exciting, it’s what we live for.” Will wait to name the starters, but praised the intensity of camp.

After being down for 9 days, @ChrisKaman says that he was a little winded after the past 2 days of practice but is good to go for tomorrow

@Weside11 working from the field: pic.twitter.com/W0UamFdM6D

BXsLBq6CYAAE9SG.jpg

D’Antoni on Nash for tomorrow night’s season opener: “He’s ready to go.” Kaman - who practiced today - also ready to play.

Nash: “I feel OK. Not where I’d like to be, but good enough to go.” One thing he can still do better than most when not 100%? Shoot.

1. Mike D'Antoni won't say if Steve Nash will play Wed vs. Golden State. But ideally, he wants to play him under 30 min

Shawne Williams told the media at practice today that he thinks he's starting tomorrow

Chris Kaman says he did feel a bit "winded" at practice today

Chris Kaman says playing against his old team (Clippers) is just "whatever now" (it's been 3 years! he says)

Wesley Johnson (@WesJohnson4) is the last one shooting in the gym today pic.twitter.com/Ymmdldt9lO

BXsD39HCQAE_rpt.jpg

I like it so far, looks like Kaman will play but will be coming off the bench most likely because of missed time.

#292 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,151 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 12:34 PM

Williams should be the starter the rest of the season
Posted Image

#293 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 04:07 PM

Steve Nash Interview

Nick Young Interview

Chris Kaman Interview

Edited by Majesty, October 28, 2013 - 04:07 PM.

• 40,416 posts

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Kaman Says Clippers Will Never Have What The Lakers Have

says that despite being on the rise, the Clippers will never have what the Lakers have. Kaman says, before, Clippers owner Donald Sterling didn't care about winning.

BXref8ACEAEZwcE.jpg

That's a nice pic & all, but let's be real here it's sorta laughable in the context of this season..

yo.

#295 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,823 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted October 28, 2013 - 05:52 PM

I am ok if Kobe, Gasol want to critique the Clippers.  But Chris Kaman?

#296 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 11:29 AM

Lakers Game Day; D'antoni to use 11 man rotation; Nash gets in extra work; Shootaround report

Shahan Ahmed@shahanLA 

Steve Nash at Lakers morning Shootaround. It's game day #lakers #clippers pic.twitter.com/5C8aVk9pxb

BXxAGmlCMAA6qXH.jpg

Lakers Shootaround Report: Game Day vs Clippers, D'Antoni to use 11-man rotation: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/blogs/triple-threat/Lakers-Clippers-Shootaround-Report-229744711.html  #Lakers

Pau Gasol works on free throws at Lakers Shootaround...it's game day. #lakers #clippers #nba pic.twitter.com/Tft3oUmhXu

BXxIJvSCUAAtF37.jpg

Edited by Majesty, October 29, 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#297 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,214 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted October 29, 2013 - 12:26 PM

I am ok if Kobe, Gasol want to critique the Clippers.  But Chris Kaman?

He was a Clipper so he's seen from both sides now

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#298 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Training Camp Day 23:  Nash returns; Health finally coming around; Rest has helped; will start

Shahan Ahmed@shahanLA 

Steve Nash will start tonight. He said D'Antoni convinced him to sit out Wednesday. #lakers

Pau Gasol ducked out of practice and didn't speak to the media. He has a cold. #lakers #Spurs

To clarify...Pau did speak to LA Times today. He is under the weather but will play tonight.

Nash: "I was ready to play, but coach...convinced me to stick with his plan.”

1. Mike D’Antoni confirms that @SteveNash will start tonight vs. SAS after sitting Wednesday’s back-to-back.

Steve Nash on his health: “It’s coming around, it’s getting better.” Still has a ways to go, but helped not to push it on B2B.

Here's Steve Nash doing a lil' swishing after morning shootaround. https://vine.co/v/hjWmaLAW6dK

As more comes I shall post it.  Glad the rest has been helping Nash get back to 100% while keeping rhythm and not pushing him too hard till he's ready.   

#299 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,167 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted November 01, 2013 - 01:06 PM

can you update the title to the practice thread.. Training camp is done, not to be a pest lol 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#300 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted November 01, 2013 - 01:10 PM

can you update the title to the practice thread.. Training camp is done, not to be a pest lol 

done

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users