#1 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,767 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted September 22, 2013 - 08:40 AM

http://www.latimes.c...y#axzz2fdkgJvGm

An excerpt from her chapter about Phil Jackson potentially rejoining the Lakers last season.  I think that next season and moving forward will create interesting FO drama.  

#2 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,552 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted September 22, 2013 - 08:46 AM

I read that on hoopshype I think this morning, was interesting to hear how shocked she was about the whole thing at the time that it happened

#3 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,111 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 22, 2013 - 08:47 AM

There's family turmoil in all family owned companies. Look at in n out. Haha. Joking aside faith in Jim buss isn't fully there till the lakers win under his watch

#4 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

• 1,767 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 09:09 AM

It goes to show something else.  Everyone knows and feels for Jeannie because she has always been outgoing and an ambassador for the team.  Breaking down and crying at the gym really would suck.

#5 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,545 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted September 22, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Hire Phil -> Do better last season -> Possible championship -> Kobe not injured -> Dwight stays

Hire D'antoni -> Play like [expletive] -> No chance at championship -> Kobe injured -> Dwight leaves

:hmm:  

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#6 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,111 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted September 22, 2013 - 09:55 AM

Lakers just were **** outta luck last year. Had Phil come in no question Dwight would've played better and possibly stayed. Phil wanted control of the team? Who cares give it to him. Aside from being the greatest HC ever he's also the best manager of players. Shame they couldn't get him. But never say never.

#7 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,068 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 22, 2013 - 10:35 AM

I'm in the minority on this one i guess, and figure Dr. Buss may have given a thought or two to how best to handle his complicated estate, perhaps most importantly our beloved lakers, and he picked Jim.

Thought how Jeannie and Phil 'announced publicly' they were leaving for Montana hours before the laker meeting with Dwight showed less class than how the phil/MDA choice played out. Perhaps payback from Phil and Jeannie...or they knew howard was gone and wanted to distance themselves from fallout.

Either way, Buss always had to think both short and long term. With some decisions working out, others not, and still others evolving in ways we couldnt have seen.

Lots of folks back in the day had opinions on whether or not to bring rodman in. Buss did...and almost lost Jerry West, who was opposed, as a result...only to lose him a few short years later...and we survived that. We survived chick's passing. 

Personally, I'm glad the league has about 7-8 teams that might compete for the championship instead of only a couple.  Nothing wrong with good competition. Brings out the best in good organizations imo.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick!, 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!)

#8 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted September 22, 2013 - 12:11 PM

Wow I didn't realize it affected her that much. It really makes the Lakers FO seem unprofessional with how they handled it. Jim Buss needs to step it up. 

#9 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,082 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 22, 2013 - 12:56 PM

Phil told my brother and Mitch that he would want to have input on personnel decisions if and when there were roster changes. The last time he came back to the Lakers, he had input at the beginning, but during the last season or two he was there, Phil was kept out of the decision-making process.

There was no discussion of money at the meeting or any of the supposed demands by Phil that were later erroneously reported in the media.

Phil said, "Well, by far, D'Antoni is a better coach for Steve Nash, but I'm a far better coach for Dwight Howard."

"Mitch called to tell me they've hired D'Antoni. He said that they feel given the personnel they have that D'Antoni is a better fit. He said they know they are going to take a bit of a PR hit, but he thinks it will blow over in a month."

LMAO

By the next day, stories began coming out in the media that Phil wanted part ownership of the team, had demanded a ridiculous salary, and had insisted on not traveling with the team on some of our road trips.

None of that was true

Phil wasn't looking for the job, and then he wasted 36 hours of his life preparing for it when they were never in a million years going to hire him anyway

I remember saying that PJ got trolled

The story going around is that my dad pushed for D'Antoni because he wanted to go back to playing Showtime basketball. But there was only one Showtime, never to be replicated. My dad knew that.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#10 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,980 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted September 22, 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hire Phil -> Do better last season -> Possible championship -> Kobe not injured -> Dwight stays

Hire D'antoni -> Play like [expletive] -> No chance at championship -> Kobe injured -> Dwight leaves

:hmm:  

Dwight Howard is a Cancer. People must forget how much [expletive] Phil talks about all his players to the Press. Dwight is too sensitive for that. That's why he wasn't hired.

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#11 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

• 1,767 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 01:15 PM

Not to turn this into ANOTHER JIM BUSS SUCKS thread.  But he does have an innate ability to really underestimate the reactions of fans.

#12 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,686 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 22, 2013 - 01:47 PM

Family is past it.   Fans should be too.

This has already been addressed by Jim Buss who said what his father's intentions were aside from the Showtime

I also love how you keep forgetting Jerry made the final decision cause you want to turn it into a "I hate D'antoni and Jim Buss" topic.  Jerry made the final call, if you're so innate to criticize, you'll need to include him, or don't include anyone.

"We did the coaching search and interviews and fed him all the information," Buss said. "And he said, 'This is who I want. D'Antoni's the man.' Knowing that in the future we had to rebuild, he felt that Phil was not a guy to rebuild. It's not fair to him. It was actually more of a respectful thought towards Phil."

Jim said he and Kupchak had come to the conclusion that Jackson simply wasn't sure if he wanted to return to the sidelines after their interview with him, and if he was reluctant, so were they. He noted that Kupchak and Jackson also had lunched over the summer and Jackson told Kupchak then that he had no intention of ever coaching again. Still, Buss said they wanted to reach out to gauge Jackson's interest again after firing Brown because "he's the best basketball coach of all time."

When they reported back to Dr. Buss after all of the interviews had concluded (Mike Dunleavy had also interviewed for the job), he assessed the situation quickly and made a decision.

"My dad said, 'You know what? D'Antoni's the guy. I've always liked him. Showtime. I think it will be fun basketball as we make the transition [from the Kobe Bryant era],' " Jim said.

He said his father also told them to hire D'Antoni quickly.

"He said, 'Do it by Sunday night,' " Buss said. "He wanted to get it done before the weekend was over."

That's not all

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne
To clarify: When Jim/Jerry Buss says the Lakers knew they had to "rebuild" soon, it's referring to the luxury tax hell his yr

Jim Buss told me that he and his father knew there was no way they could keep that $100 million team together past 2012-13 season.

Jim Buss said Phil wanted to do 2 yrs They felt they'd only be able to keep that group together for 1, and the 2nd year was a transition yr

Jim Buss said that he and his father felt that wasn't fair to Phil, or the best use of his talents.

Talk about that.

And on the verge of 70 it's not hard to see why Jerry didn't want to throw Phil in a rebuild.

It also feeds into my thoughts that had Dwight stayed, Pau was definitely gonna be amnestied.

Edited by Majesty, September 22, 2013 - 01:48 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#13 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

• 1,767 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 02:05 PM

No where did I state I HATE JIM AND MDA, give me a break. I posted this because it was interesting and directly related to one half of the active ownership of the Lakers.  

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,686 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 02:15 PM

No where did I state I HATE JIM AND MDA, give me a break. I posted this because it was interesting and directly related to one half of the active ownership of the Lakers.  

I don't have an issue with the article. 

It's that the threads about this subject always turn into "bash Jim Buss, D'antoni" threads. 

So I thought I'd add in some other reasons behind Jerry's decision that people get amnesia about when it comes time to freshen up their bash jim/d'antoni/front office batteries :)

Edited by Majesty, September 22, 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#15 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

• 1,767 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 02:18 PM

Fair enough.  Last season was last season.  Can't build a time machine and change things I couldn't change anyway.  Next year will be great.  Championship of bust. 

#16 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted September 22, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Family is past it.   Fans should be too.

This has already been addressed by Jim Buss who said what his father's intentions were aside from the Showtime

I also love how you keep forgetting Jerry made the final decision cause you want to turn it into a "I hate D'antoni and Jim Buss" topic.  Jerry made the final call, if you're so innate to criticize, you'll need to include him, or don't include anyone.

That's not all

Talk about that.

And on the verge of 70 it's not hard to see why Jerry didn't want to throw Phil in a rebuild.

It also feeds into my thoughts that had Dwight stayed, Pau was definitely gonna be amnestied.

This part of the article addresses a lot of that, and confirms my initial hunch.

"The decision came down to Dad, Mitch, and I all agreeing," Jim claims, "that D'Antoni was a better fit for this group of personnel."

The story going around is that my dad pushed for D'Antoni because he wanted to go back to playing Showtime basketball. But there was only one Showtime, never to be replicated. My dad knew that.

I know my father would back my brother in whatever decision Jim wanted to make. That was exactly how my dad was with the decisions I had to make in regard to business matters.

My dad made it clear to the entire family that he put me in charge of the team's business operations and my brother was in charge of the basketball decisions. He wanted that structure in place to carry us forward when he was no longer running the show.

This isn't an attack on anyone, but just my thoughts regarding the situation. The days of defending Jim Buss in the way he handled this is completely over. Even if it wasn't his call to hire D'Antoni, the disrespect to Phil was really unprofessional. All of the excuses we gave him have been proven wrong. He's really got to step it up. What's happened to the franchise since the D'Antoni hire is only evidence of his lack of proficiency here. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, September 22, 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#17 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,686 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 02:31 PM

This part of the article addresses a lot of that, and confirms my initial hunch.

This isn't an attack on anyone, but just my thoughts regarding the situation. The days of defending Jim Buss in the way he handled this is completely over. Even if it wasn't his call to hire D'Antoni, the disrespect to Phil was really unprofessional. All of the excuses we gave him have been proven wrong. He's really got to step it up. What's happened to the franchise since the D'Antoni hire is only evidence of his lack of proficiency here. 

That's basically Jeanie saying that Jerry wanted what Jerry wanted even though he knew it couldn't be replicated the same way, but that if Jim had made another decision Jerry would have supported him.

It doesn't change the fact of anything else and it doesn't outdo what Jim said when he actually TALKED to Jerry about it.

This holds more credence than that

He said his father also told them to hire D'Antoni quickly.

"He said, 'Do it by Sunday night,' " Buss said. "He wanted to get it done before the weekend was over."

That covers the D'antoni hiring and why it happened so fast.   Jerry wanted it before the weekend was done.

As well as this

To clarify: When Jim/Jerry Buss says the Lakers knew they had to "rebuild" soon, it's referring to the luxury tax hell his yr

Jim Buss told me that he and his father knew there was no way they could keep that $100 million team together past 2012-13 season.

Jim Buss said Phil wanted to do 2 yrs They felt they'd only be able to keep that group together for 1, and the 2nd year was a transition yr

Jim Buss said that he and his father felt that wasn't fair to Phil, or the best use of his talents.

All that holds more than what Jeanie said.

"Dad felt it was a good style to transition out of the Kobe Bryant era with. Jerry told me to hire D'antoni before the weekend was over"

holds more than

"There's only one showtime, and I'm sure my dad knew that."

If we want to talk about how the Phil hiring was handled.  Jerry said "Do it before the weekend was up" and it was.

I know we all like Jeanie, but she doesn't deal with basketball operations, it's not her field, Jim and Jerry are in charge of that along with Mitch.   Jim granted his fathers wishes, AND Jerry wanted D'antoni hired QUICKLY as well as not wanting to put Phil through a rebuild as he obviously thought the team was going to be disbanded in some way after one season and they'd have to rebuild after that.  IF we judge one we judge them all.  That was a decision made together and it was Jerry's wish.   Regardless of what Jeanie says when she says "If Jim had decided to not listen my dad would have supported him still." that means that it WAS Jerry's decision to get D'antoni, as Jim would have had to disagree with him to choose Phil.    So there goes that.

So he decided he didn't want Phil for just 'one' year as Phil wanted more than that(apparently discussions went further than initially thought if Phil already said how many years he'd want.)   so something to think about.  
It's very easy to understand why Jerry wouldn't want Phil at 70 as part of a rebuild and felt it would be a waste of his talents.

Sounds to me like Jerry would have picked Phil if he felt the team was gonna stay together for a few years.  But apparently he felt the team would disband after one.

Edited by Majesty, September 22, 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#18 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,082 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 22, 2013 - 02:53 PM

So the objective was to NOT win a championship then? Because that what a hire of MDA tells me.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,686 posts

Posted September 22, 2013 - 03:11 PM

Pretty sure if Jerry felt like the team was gonna stay together for more than one year than he'd have picked Phil.

But from the sounds of it, they were likely gonna amnesty Gasol if Dwight stayed and done something to let go of Artest and 2013 was gonna be a rebuild year while clearing up for 2014. 

That's what it sounds like to me from how it's being described.   Tax would have been too high.

So likely the only time we'd have seen that lineup was last year and Jerry felt that as well.

So my wondering is, if Jerry saw this year as a rebuild year, what moves was he gonna make if Dwight stayed is the question.  Amnestying Pau seems like the first step.

#20 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,545 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted September 22, 2013 - 03:46 PM

whatever we have MDA deal with it.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users