Photo

Derrick Rose Says He’s More Explosive Now, Has Added 10 Lbs. Of Muscle, & Has Improved Jumpshot

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

• 40,377 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 01:45 AM

SLAM Magazine

On his health status:

“Right now I’m in training, and I’m getting a lot stronger. I gained 10 pounds of muscle. I don’t know how that’s going to carry over to how I play on the court, but I know it’s going to be very weird. I’m shooting a lot of shots right now, working with Rob, just putting memory back in my leg.”

On how his added muscle will affect him on the court:

“With me, I was always kind of strong, but the way that I play, I hit tricky lay-ups and all of that stuff because going to the hole in my neighborhood, they don’t call any fouls, so I was just used to hitting all types of shots. Now this year, I got a little more strength behind me, so I think going to the hole, taking those shots, I’ll be able to finish a lot stronger this year. There should be a lot more and-ones, hopefully.”

On the way his body changed during the recovery:

“I think I’m a lot quicker, a lot more explosive, and I think I’m gonna go this year without that many nagging injuries, just trying to prevent it by stretching and doing all the things I have to do to take care of my body. When you first come in the League and you’re talented and you’re athletic, you don’t care about stretching or anything. You just kind of go out there and overlook that stuff. But now it’s my sixth year, so you really have to look at that and take that more seriously so I can prevent all of the little injuries.”

On ignoring members of the media who were pushing him to return during the 2013 Playoffs:

“For me, I can care less about it. I knew that our team—whoever I had around me who spoke to me—as long as they were telling me the truth then I was comfortable with the decision that I made. I could care less about what people were saying about me.”

On returning slowly during the first few weeks of the season:

“The minutes part, Thibs will have to manage that, but I know he has a pretty good idea with how he’ll play me. But as far as hitting the ground running, I don’t think it’ll take me a long time to adjust, to the tell you the truth.”

derrickrosecover2.jpg

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#2 mrclutch

mrclutch

Rookie

• 1,114 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:michael cooper

Posted September 20, 2013 - 01:52 AM

Put up or shut up...

#3 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Zankyou no Terror

• 8,413 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 01:59 AM

Good guy.

MMiRi9s.png

#4 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,323 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted September 20, 2013 - 03:25 AM

I hope his return is a success. The dude is a good guy and passionate player. And hes of no threat to my Lakers because we are of no threat...lol. So do ya thang Rose!

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,018 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 20, 2013 - 04:23 AM

People have apparently forgotten how good Rose was.

Time for him to remind them.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#6 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 725 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted September 20, 2013 - 06:01 AM

Can't wait for the best PG in the league to once again prove why he is the best PG. Second favorite player to watch next KB24.

#7 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,463 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 20, 2013 - 07:52 AM

He hasn't added 10 lbs of muscle...maybe 10lbs over all.  Almost impossible to add 10lbs of pure muscle in a year without some type of anabolic steroids and ridiculous weight lifting which Im sure he hasn't engaged in. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#8 lakersp4p

lakersp4p

Rookie

• 804 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted September 20, 2013 - 08:30 AM

He hasn't added 10 lbs of muscle...maybe 10lbs over all.  Almost impossible to add 10lbs of pure muscle in a year without some type of anabolic steroids and ridiculous weight lifting which Im sure he hasn't engaged in. 

that is very possible for highly trained athletes like him

#9 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,759 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 20, 2013 - 08:55 AM

Not impossible in the slightest. I was reading some article yesterday about Christopher Reeve playing Superman, and it mentioned that he added 14 kg (30 pounds) worth of muscle to his frame (He was 190, filmed at 220) over the span of a few months prior to the start of shooting Superman. He was doing some hardcore workout with a former weightlifter and doubled his food intake + ate a protein heavy diet. This was in the early 80s.

Rose definitely wouldn't put on THAT much mass, but he doesn't need to do some weightlifting regimen. It's really really easy to put on 10 pounds of muscle when you're a world-class athlete with access to the best trainers and facilities 24/7. I mean, it's not like he's had much else to do in the last year or so.

#10 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,839 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 09:39 AM

^^Basically what he said. The guy is a 6'4 rangy athlete, he has plenty of room to add mass.

#11 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,988 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted September 20, 2013 - 09:42 AM

I do agree it is unlikely, but certainly not impossible when he can afford the best nutritionists, equipment and so on. That  being said I am more skeptical about his explosiveness, probably basing it off all the hype of RGIII and his current struggles. I just think for those first ten or so games, he might be quick, be he certainly won't be trying to create any contact or get the jump on anyone by the basket. Although because of that, it is so crucial for him to develop a ranged game.

I never thought it was terrible with him wanting to wait, but rather all the side commentary (also like RGIII), if you're not playing or contributing, stay away from the media, no one ever comes out looking good.

#12 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,018 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 20, 2013 - 02:48 PM

Not impossible in the slightest. I was reading some article yesterday about Christopher Reeve playing Superman, and it mentioned that he added 14 kg (30 pounds) worth of muscle to his frame (He was 190, filmed at 220) over the span of a few months prior to the start of shooting Superman. He was doing some hardcore workout with a former weightlifter and doubled his food intake + ate a protein heavy diet. This was in the early 80s.

Rose definitely wouldn't put on THAT much mass, but he doesn't need to do some weightlifting regimen. It's really really easy to put on 10 pounds of muscle when you're a world-class athlete with access to the best trainers and facilities 24/7. I mean, it's not like he's had much else to do in the last year or so.

Yeah it's not unlikely in the slightest to put on 10 pounds of muscle.   Especially over a years time, heck, people have done that in months, it's all on your diet and workout regime.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#13 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,473 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 03:21 PM

i can't wait to see him back on the court, i love watching this kid play

bw1wOGf.png

#14 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,417 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted September 20, 2013 - 03:37 PM

Excited to see how he does

#15 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,463 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 04:05 PM

If Derrick Rose put on 10 lbs of PURE muscle you would immediately tell the difference.  Most of the interview is just hype talk.  "Im quicker, im more explosive" Ummm really? Athletes don't bodybuild, they do circuit training and conditioning.  You aren't going to put on that type of mass recovering from an ACL injury.

I'm a bit anal about it b/c I work out heavy now

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#16 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,685 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted September 20, 2013 - 06:18 PM

The only way you'd be able to immediately notice 10 pounds of added muscle on a person is if they were focusing on glamour muscles like the arms and chest.

I'm sure he systematically added mass with ball in mind- and you wouldn't be able to tell, specially from a picture, if he's added mass in his abs/core, back, and lower extremities unless he's stripped down

2div

#17 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,463 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 06:28 PM

Adding 10 lbs to your =/= 10 lbs of PURE muscle mass.  The average bodybuilder can only put on about 1-1.25 lbs of pure muscle a month on a ridiculously strict diet and training regiment.  Derrick Rose is a basketball player that circuit trains and does conditioning drills.  It's literally impossible for him put on that amount of muscle in a year especially considering he was rehabbing a knee. 

Now you can bulk and add 10 lbs to of weight and look thicker and swole but 10lbs of muscle is like looking at Lebron in his rookie year vs what he looks like now.  If Rose did that he would look like Derek Fisher when we see him

The only way you'd be able to immediately notice 10 pounds of added muscle on a person is if they were focusing on glamour muscles like the arms and chest.

I'm sure he systematically added mass with ball in mind- and you wouldn't be able to tell, specially from a picture, if he's added mass in his abs/core, back, and lower extremities unless he's stripped down

Edited by Jody Smokes, September 20, 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#18 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 587 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 20, 2013 - 09:15 PM

Really?

#19 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,463 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 05:43 AM

I honestly don't think guys understand adding 10 lbs to your frame vs 10 lbs of pure muscle with no additional body fat added.  As I said if he had added 10 lbs muscle alone he's gonna be big as Fish

Really?

Edited by Jody Smokes, September 21, 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#20 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,717 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 21, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Fish is shorter. He added ten pounds and his BMI is the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users