Photo

Good Article Comparing Kobe To Floyd Mayweather Jr.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

• 40,400 posts

Posted September 17, 2013 - 11:07 PM

I came across this article and just thought I would share. Found it a surprisingly solid read. I won't post the second half of the article, which is then detailing Mayweather and how he compares since that'd be too long already and I'd go past the rule, but check out the rest in the link if you wish.

This will be Kobe Bryant’s 18th year in the NBA.

Normally when a player last that long in the NBA they are relegated to McGrady status, they are begging for one last opportunity before retiring like Allen Iverson or they have settled into a specific role player status like Ray Allen.

Kobe Bryant in his 17th year in the NBA averaged.

27, 5 & 6

That’s not normal, it defies logic, you would think it would be appreciated, not just for the raw numbers, but for the sustained excellence over such a long period of time, but that isn’t what happens when you bring up Kobe Bryant. Go to Twitter or your barbershop and say the following:

“Kobe averaged 27, 5 and 6 last year what do you think about that?”

I guarantee you will hear something similar to these comments and more.

“He still not better than Jordan.”

“He’s a bad teammate.”

“He wouldn’t have won without Shaq.”

“He doesn’t pass to anyone.”

“LeBron is better.”

“He snitched on Shaq.”

“He raped that girl in Colorado.”

Doesn’t matter if these comments are true or not. They are opinions, but the point is they have nothing to do with the facts. Regardless of your personal feelings about him, it doesn’t change his sustained excellence in the sport. Maybe he won’t be Jordan, maybe one day LeBron will have a better career, but there are times you just have to appreciate the here and now.

Kobe’s career didn’t start with him being THE MAN, he was the sidekick the B-Side, but through Hard Work and Dedication he became the biggest name in the sport.

Read more at http://blacksportson...FZV7gEhJba8H.99

yo.

#2 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,762 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 18, 2013 - 04:03 AM

Great read.  I mess with that site heavy.  Always some good articles or small news feeds to read that you won't see on ESPN. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

• 40,400 posts

Posted September 18, 2013 - 04:08 AM

^ Yes. It's a lot more credible than what some posters here may think. I've gotten' some comments about it in the past and it's why I mention it. It isn't always so politically correct and I love that.

yo.

#4 RayRay

RayRay

Sixth Man

• 3,524 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Hobe

Posted September 18, 2013 - 09:04 AM

ok but he could have wrote a great piece comparing the two and their longevity without those pointless quotes.

they gonna keep pulling out the rape card whenever his name is brought up?

Edited by RayRay, September 18, 2013 - 09:05 AM.

only Kobe can stop Kobe.

#5 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,762 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted September 18, 2013 - 09:31 AM

I disagree.  He was trying to convey the comments of the regular joe in the barbershop when Kobe is talked about.  The article was authentic and not PC like ESPN or SI

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#6 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,448 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted September 18, 2013 - 12:04 PM

Nice piece which is basically telling you to give certain athletes their props despite how you feel about them.

"but there are times you just have to appreciate the here and now."

veqdeg.jpg

#7 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,449 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 18, 2013 - 12:14 PM

If something is true, isn't it automatically a fact?

#8 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,468 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted September 18, 2013 - 01:24 PM

idk...but not for the comments he used as examples.

#9 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 18, 2013 - 03:31 PM

Not all the time. 

#10 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,071 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 18, 2013 - 03:43 PM

The amazing thing is Floyd and Kobe have both been at it for 17 years.

17 years..

Floyd Mayweather Jr has been undefeated for 17 years and won titles in 5 weight divisions and won 9 different championships...

How the guy is still hated on or called a coward or his 'legacy' based on one fight or 'overrated' is beyond me...

Same can be said of Kobe.

Edited by Majesty, September 18, 2013 - 03:43 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#11 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,449 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 18, 2013 - 04:22 PM

17 years..

Floyd Mayweather Jr has been undefeated for 17 years and won titles in 5 weight divisions and won 9 different championships...

How the guy is still hated on or called a coward or his 'legacy' based on one fight or 'overrated' is beyond me...

I don't really think anyone considers Kobe a coward. He has nothing to run from.

#12 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,071 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 18, 2013 - 04:32 PM

I don't really think anyone considers Kobe a coward. He has nothing to run from.

No, but they use "bad teammate" "can't pass" "rode shaqs coattails"

pretty much the same ways they hate Floyd just in different aspects. 

With Floyd they say "he's a coward" "his style is boring" "one fight makes his legacy" "he's overrated" "he never fought anyone!" etc.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#13 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,156 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted September 19, 2013 - 11:35 AM

FM has won 10 world titles & legitmately could have 13 world titles but he didnt bother taking the belts from 3 of his opponents on his resume that he beat in past. (Manfreddy, Diego, & Shane)

People just despise FM cuz he tells you how gr8 he is (Since 1997-2013 & still counting) & flaunts his $. but thats just part of his "selling point" / WWE Money May character. People who love the sport of boxing will be sad when the talent likes of FM are gone for good from the sport. None of these up & commers are on his level & prolly wont get their with overall skill, talent, boxing IQ, endurance, & longevity.

17 years..

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

• 40,400 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 11:42 AM

People who love the sport of boxing will be sad when the talent likes of FM are gone for good from the sport. None of these up & commers are on his level & prolly wont get their with overall skill, talent, boxing IQ, endurance, & longevity.

Some of these things are probably true, however, I happen to watch a ton of boxing and I can assure you that there are tons of solid to great to potentially next level fighters, whom if they lack some of the qualities of a Mayweather, they certainly don't lack major I mean major points among a great majority of fans with their far more crowd-pleasing styles of fighting. Legitimate crowd pleasers consistently and after all, if you can't keep the fans entertained while doin' work, then that following will only decrease furthermore until the sport is in potentially truly major trouble. I'm talking true battles back & forth. Actual knockouts, head-hunting, crushing body blows throughout, bloody messes. That's what a lot of people truly want to see. Just being real.

yo.

#15 Hero

Hero

Where imaginations run wild

• 2,579 posts
  • Name:Jerome
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted September 19, 2013 - 01:00 PM

17 years..

I used to hate Floyd because of his arrogance, but now I've changed and am now a big fan. It shows how winning can change a lot of opinions.

spupissuelo.gif

RIP Dad. I miss you so very much...

July 27, 2011 4:00 AM.

#16 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,869 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 19, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Kobe=Basketball IQ

Mayweather= Boxing IQ

Both take impeccable care of their bodies.

That's really what sets the difference. they never get out of shape. I think Kobe is not a smoker or drinker,

Wheras I would bet that Wade drinks. LeBron clubs and appears to be partying in SB a bit. Melo,Rose,Durant,harden seem like they smoke herb(pure speculation).

I think these are pure athletes, and that's why I have faith in Kobe to return from his injury well.

Mayweather has brittle hands, as does Kobe

But I think they both rehab like monsters 

#17 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,558 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted September 19, 2013 - 04:54 PM

Mayweather walked out with Justin beiber

End

#18 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,129 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 10:51 PM

Mayweather walked out with Justin beiber

End

Kobe has had several encounters with beiber as well
Posted Image

#19 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,156 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 12:11 PM

I dont care what media is trying to force public to believe is crowd pleasing, most dont understand sweet science so their ops dont matter to me. Anybody can do bar brawling = that doesnt take skills & boxing IQ. Those fighters that cant "think" & dont stress defense will have short careers & those fake boxing fans wont be around post their career to support them when they are broke & brain dead. Elite fighters expose B & C level fighters for what they normally are = 1 dimensional. Keep supporting boxing either way though if you love it!

Some of these things are probably true, however, I happen to watch a ton of boxing and I can assure you that there are tons of solid to great to potentially next level fighters, whom if they lack some of the qualities of a Mayweather, they certainly don't lack major I mean major points among a great majority of fans with their far more crowd-pleasing styles of fighting. Legitimate crowd pleasers consistently and after all, if you can't keep the fans entertained while doin' work, then that following will only decrease furthermore until the sport is in potentially truly major trouble. I'm talking true battles back & forth. Actual knockouts, head-hunting, crushing body blows throughout, bloody messes. That's what a lot of people truly want to see. Just being real.

#20 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,156 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 12:12 PM

All speculation but Wade is a tree smoker. LBJ drinks but he is an exception to the rule = Chosen 1!

Kobe=Basketball IQ

Mayweather= Boxing IQ

Both take impeccable care of their bodies.

That's really what sets the difference. they never get out of shape. I think Kobe is not a smoker or drinker,

Wheras I would bet that Wade drinks. LeBron clubs and appears to be partying in SB a bit. Melo,Rose,Durant,harden seem like they smoke herb(pure speculation).

I think these are pure athletes, and that's why I have faith in Kobe to return from his injury well.

Mayweather has brittle hands, as does Kobe

But I think they both rehab like monsters 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users