32 replies to this topic

#21 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted September 27, 2013 - 02:52 PM

Wait so what the "respected" say about rappers means something but you argue drake is trash when the "respected" respect him

I sense you're just pulling whatever suits yourself. Swimming pools didn't go platinum because everyone loved his weird voice lol. When you have actual evidence of that bring it back. Until then I'll assume it had more to do with a more mainstream beat and flow and the voices became a divisive part of the song.

It's corny. It really is. And GKMC was easily one of the best albums of 2012 but it's not a classic. Period. Not one classic song and sporadic classic verses.

So every mainstream song goes platinum. yeah i'll believe that. Drake was respected before he went mainstream. Not anymore. You think Nas would respect a [expletive] that doesn't even rap in his songs anymore? Look at what he said about J. Cole after one mainstream album. 

Drake is a trash rapper and that's a fact. He'll rely on the mainstream rhytmic rap for the rest of his career and i have no doubt about that. anything that gets you money. 

There's plenty of forums like KTT where they praise kendrick's alien voice lmfao. especially on swimming pools. go research it yourself. of course some people hate it too. but some people hate eminems angry voice and some people love that [expletive].

tell me when you have real actual evidence that support your claims that gkmc is corny and that it is not a classic album. how are you gonna bring up evidence in something that is not objective... are you serious right now?  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:

http://jcolenation.c...year-lists-etc/

have fun reading all that ^ 

Edited by Ham, September 27, 2013 - 03:44 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#22 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,128 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 05:17 PM

I just realized I've wasted my time arguing with someone who has the object of the argument in their avi

You have presented nothing other than forums that I should research myself and conjecture.

It's not a classic period, people will forget about it within a couple years unless they are talking specifically about Kendrick Lamar

Its the truth live with it. It's not even better than section 80.

A classic implies that it broke boundaries (it didn't) it did something new (it didn't) it had classic tracks (it didn't)

Did it say something interesting or meaningful? Yes

It was missing a ton of important elements to be considered a classic. And if an album is classic has a definitive answer. The answer is no this album was not classic. It had classic pieces but wasn't classic a whole

And you're acting like I said Kendrick isn't one of the best right now. Getting so defensive it's hilarious. He has skill he just needs to bring it all together

Edited by last stand 2.0, September 27, 2013 - 05:25 PM.

Posted Image

#23 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 11:09 AM

If you think ADHD is his best song you need to sit the [expletive] down.  :laughing:

If you think Section 80 is his best work you need to lie the [expletive] down. I'd use metacritic but then you'd just be like "oh wow, you brought up reviews." I just gave you all the accolades GKMC had got. That is all i can do with something that is art and subjective. I can use others opinions to shed yours and you will have the minorities thought. 

It's the best rap album since Food and Liquor. Some say MBDTF, but i didn't really think that was all that. It captured a "moment of time." it will be a classic.

Lol I could change my avi to any rap legend. I will respect anyone who raps with meaning but it is kendrick right now because he is bringing rap back.

If you can't even define classic, IDK how you're going to give someone a title of classic. I'll take Young Guru's opinion over yours. I'll take Nas' opinion over yours too. [expletive] i'll even take rollingstones and complex's opinion over yours.

You want all this proof that it's a classic. Prove to me it isn't. You can't..

Edited by Ham, September 28, 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#24 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,908 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted September 28, 2013 - 11:29 AM

There are two types of classic:

One that is relative to the ear of the beholder (many things that suit my personal taste can be a classic to ME)

And another that is based on the standards of a community (passes the test of time, meets universal appeal, etc.)

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#25 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,128 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 11:43 AM

There are two types of classic:

One that is relative to the ear of the beholder (many things that suit my personal taste can be a classic to ME)
And another that is based on the standards of a community (passes the test of time, meets universal appeal, etc.)

I'd agree with this.

So then this is a classic to him because while we don't know the test of time yet I don't believe in the least GKMC had universal appeal at all. When I think of universal appeal I think of lose yourself which is on my fathers iPod and is the only rap song on there
Posted Image

#26 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,908 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted September 28, 2013 - 11:52 AM

Lose Yourself, Changes, Nothin But A G Thang, California Love, Runnin, 93 Til Infinity, The World Is Yours

Those are some examples of classics that pass the test of time and have universal appeal, for example.

Kendrick is on his way to having dropped classics, but it's still too early for it to "technically" (by definition of certain standards) be a classic, despite all of the awards and recognition. It could be in the future, however, if it has the universal appeal and is still just as popular 20 years down the road.

Edited by -Wade-, September 28, 2013 - 11:54 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#27 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,128 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 11:58 AM

If you think ADHD is his best song you need to sit the [expletive] down. :laughing:

If you think Section 80 is his best work you need to lie the [expletive] down. I'd use metacritic but then you'd just be like "oh wow, you brought up reviews." I just gave you all the accolades GKMC had got. That is all i can do with something that is art and subjective. I can use others opinions to shed yours and you will have the minorities thought.

It's the best rap album since Food and Liquor. Some say MBDTF, but i didn't really think that was all that. It captured a "moment of time." it will be a classic.

Lol I could change my avi to any rap legend. I will respect anyone who raps with meaning but it is kendrick right now because he is bringing rap back.

If you can't even define classic, IDK how you're going to give someone a title of classic. I'll take Young Guru's opinion over yours. I'll take Nas' opinion over yours too. [expletive] i'll even take rollingstones and complex's opinion over yours.

You want all this proof that it's a classic. Prove to me it isn't. You can't..

How long is it going to take you to realize that everything you're giving me is rap based opinion. How long is it going to take you to realize that people like that call something a classic once a year when there isn't a classic once a year

How long is it going to take you to realize that Nas never used the word classic he said its the best album of the year.

Do I think the album is good? Yes I've said it 100 times, do I think it's the best of 2012 and probably 2013. Yes it edges out Doris because there is more behind it

But you like every other Stan needs to define the object of their affection in the perspective of time.

Do I think it's a classic? No because I don't think it has the musical value to stand the test of time. So itll simply be an album people say was the best album of 2012 and not an album that people say was one of the best of all time
Posted Image

#28 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,128 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 12:05 PM

Lose Yourself, Changes, Nothin But A G Thang, California Love, Runnin, 93 Til Infinity, The World Is Yours

Those are some examples of classics that pass the test of time and have universal appeal, for example.

Kendrick is on his way to having dropped classics, but it's still too early for it to "technically" (by definition of certain standards) be a classic, despite all of the awards and recognition. It could be in the future, however, if it has the universal appeal and is still just as popular 20 years down the road.

I actually think Kendrick will eventually make a classic CD. One that says something with universal appeal. But GKMC wasn't it. All those songs you listed were great to listen to. That doesn't happen on GKMC. A lot of the songs a re strictly story telling, some are marred by a goofy flow (maad city) or goofy voices

To me that's why people talk about Kendrick's verses and not his songs as wholes. It's because this verses are great but his songs are pedestrian. I just dont believe this album will win any non rap fans over.

This idea that GKMC saved rap is ridiculous because rap is still getting worse and worse. Saving rap would have been making something with the story telling of GKMC but the ability to make everyone listen. Not just rap and hip hop heads
Posted Image

#29 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'll come back here, to this argument, in two years. I ain't a kendrick stan  :facepalm:In about a month or so, my avy will probably be Pusha T's album cover, if its amazing. My title is "Rap Enthusiast." 

lol everyone i know listened to GKMC... and they are not just rap and hip hop heads. The reason I'm saying is that it's probably going to be classic is because it's a rap debut that had so much success. This is one of the greatest debuts in a while. Wait till he gets the grammy and all these other [expletive]as bandwagon on him.

a rap album doesn't go platinum with just rap and hip hop heads anymore, which is pretty sad for the game. but i guess that's debatable too.

saving rap is pushing it. it showed that a real rap album can still be successful and hopefully he continues to show this. thats step toward making rap better.

#30 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,128 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 04:26 PM

Firstly the Grammys are the worst of the "classy" award shows. I still have no idea how channel orange which is one of the greatest R&B albums of all time won one Grammy in a made up category while Mumford and sons babel which was actually critically considered a failure and disappointment walked awy with album of the year

Here's my issue at the end of the day with GKMC. It's not something I've ever been able to listen to start to finish. In fact usually it's one song at a time because I get bored. It's boring as a whole. Interesting piece by piece. And I'm not the only one who feels that way. It's because the musical value is weak. The verses are on point but that's always the case with Kendrick. He needs to make an album that encompasses all of music not just one aspect. I believe once he is able to bring his lyrics to musically impressive songs (and there is more to making music sound great than beats there is how the lyrics work with the beat, how the hook sounds and works with both the beat and rest of the lyrics and so much more)

But the Grammys are not a good barometer of how great an album is

How did the highest rated hip hop album of all time my beautiful dark twisted fantasy not even get nominated for album of the year? Something that spawned article upon article questioning the intentions of the voters for leaving him off the ballot and putting watch the throne on equal footing by giving it the same amount of nominations when it was half the album

And there has never been a hip hop album more criticall applauded than MBDTF. Received one of the few 10s ever on pitchfork.

GKMC winning or losing a Grammy won't change my mind on it. Just like channel orange losing didn't change my mind.

GKMC had decent songs, some classic verses while showing an artist who has potential to do more. It can't be a classic because how good it was for a debut. Each album has to be considered on its own merits.

Was it a great debut? Absolutely. Probably the best since food and liqour. That doesn't make it a classic that makes it a hell of a debut

My only worry is that Kendrick becomes nas, someone who had a great first album, one better than GKMC, probably much better than it tbh, and after that fails to release anything better because they are so focused on just lyrics that they ignore how to write a song
Posted Image

#31 McRevis

McRevis

Rookie

• 39 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 28, 2013 - 08:14 PM

People complain about eminems screaming voice but praise Kendrick's corny ass mouse voice that he brings out in like 80% of his songs

Also for as great as Kendrick is he made his career off of ripping off pusha T. Pusha T was basically Kendrick Lamar before Kendrick Lamar

I love Kendrick but people need to realize that he's just one of the best now. His album was a step down from section 80 and while he's shown he can kill a verse he has yet to show he can make classic songs

I really have yet to hear a classic song from him. ADHD is probably his closest to a classic song.

The greats have several classic songs. he has the right mindset but I'm not sure he has the ability to make great music as opposed to great bars

Also earl sweatshirts Doris was every bit as impressive as good kid maad city, especially lyrically. And that's without the production values being a member of aftermath and interscope get you.

So let's hold off saying how good GKMC was. It was a good album, but a step down and nowhere near the pantheon of this decades great albums like

College dropout, MBDTF, food and liqour, Late registration, the black album, the cool, Etc

This isn't me hating this is me saying hold your horses on Kendrick. Wait until he puts out a classic, something with some timeless songs because GKMC wasn't it

I'm still debating if it's better than Doris when most album of the years it's barely a debate

GKMC seems to lose interest everytime I listen to it. It's incredibly corny and Kendrick Doesn't seem to have an ear for good music. I don't think it'll stand the test of time

Say what you want about tupac and his legendary lyricism, but that man knew how to make music. His music still sounds great. ADHD which IMO is probably Kendrick's best song ever is what tupac did effortlessly and what Kendrick seems to struggle finding consistently.

Kendrick has a ton of word of mouth right now because hip hop honestly sucks. The list starts and ends with Kanye west in terms of creativity, pushing boundaries, taking chances

Which is what hip hop was built on. Kendrick is a big fish in a small pond. The genre is the weakest it's ever been and while Kendrick is good I'm not sure he even gets noticed in the early 2000s- 2007 range

Stopped reading at the bold lmao. Gooby pls.

#32 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,128 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Stopped reading at the bold lmao. Gooby pls.

Then why waste your time posting. I know your intelligence level by reading gooby.

Edited by last stand 2.0, September 28, 2013 - 08:31 PM.

Posted Image

#33 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,208 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted October 09, 2013 - 12:28 PM

Album goes

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users