• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 James Worthy

James Worthy

Rookie

• 844 posts
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted September 18, 2013 - 08:00 AM

I'm a huge rap fan and don't really like Drake, but this album is good. Not great, but definitely worth checking out.

#22 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 18, 2013 - 10:59 AM

tumblr_mt77ww2W011s9x79go1_r1_500.gif

Pau Gasol is GONE

#23 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,406 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted September 19, 2013 - 11:19 AM

I had a dream Drake was gonna rap battle against Big Pun.   :laughing:

veqdeg.jpg

#24 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,810 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 19, 2013 - 12:05 PM

He can't spit for [expletive] lmfao.  :laughing: [expletive] said 5 am in toronto.

lmfao they dont play drakes soft ass at the clubs.

his music is the same [expletive] over and over. he has no substance. 

Saying they dont play Drakes music at clubs goes to show that it does have substance, but he gets plenty of love at the club anyway. They play French Montana at clubs and that dude really says some deep stuff right? How about 2 chains? Drake can drop a club banger, (started from the bottom or The Motto) or can drop some deep bars for you (Look what you done or say whats real ) And on top of that he makes music that the ladies can listen to. You probably never even listen to his songs other then what plays on MTV. Listen to So far Gone for some bars, hell you can put on Take Care and he has bars for days in those songs. Just because he doesnt rap hood stuff or act goon doesnt mean he doesnt have substance.

No substance is such a damn cop out for these so called hip hop heads. What was HOV's substance? How about Biggies? The biggest rappers of all times have their own style and substance is what they make it and what they pour into their work. Drake often raps about making it big, the hard work he put into it, and of course the [expletive]es lol. Like I said you dont have to like him, but for the last 6 years he has been the biggest and most consistent in the hip hop game and thats the truth. He gets respect from both Nas and Jay, Nas was calling him a breath of fresh air back in 2009. Calling the dude soft is one thing but he is a good artist at what he does.

If he can spit, then why cant he make an album where he just spits? I'm tired of these soft Drake albums where its the same emo monotone r&b tunes. I hate when rappers can't transcend their sound into something more. That's why I find this album to be so disappointing. I thought he was going to come out with that fire after listening Hold on We're Going Home and All Me. I thought he was going to come through with something completely new. Its like the dude can't talk about anything else, but girls who [expletive]ed with him. It's tiring.

So because he can do two things you dont like him, ahaha. There are very few artist out there that are true dual threats. Drake can drop a hot track where it will have dudes bumping it in the car blasting, and then drop an R&B track that will make the ladies go crazy. Thats a true artist, the dude even writes some R&B tracks for other singers. Normally big R&B artist and singers dont make their own content. I would have to disagree that he cant transcend his sound, he changed up the rap game a little. Ten years ago if a rapper rapped about emotions or anything no one would bang with him. Drake does that and sings, yet he is one of the first names artist call if they need a hot verse on a song or a nice hook on a rap song.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, September 19, 2013 - 12:19 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#25 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,810 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 12:20 PM

If you want some laughs and are on a twitter you should follow drake the type of, it is pretty funny it just rips on him the whole time

Yea they always make me laugh because I can actually see some of them being true lol

#26 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,549 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted September 19, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Saying they dont play Drakes music at clubs goes to show that it does have substance, but he gets plenty of love at the club anyway. They play French Montana at clubs and that dude really says some deep stuff right? How about 2 chains? Drake can drop a club banger, (started from the bottom or The Motto) or can drop some deep bars for you (Look what you done or say whats real ) And on top of that he makes music that the ladies can listen to. You probably never even listen to his songs other then what plays on MTV. Listen to So far Gone for some bars, hell you can put on Take Care and he has bars for days in those songs. Just because he doesnt rap hood stuff or act goon doesnt mean he doesnt have substance.

No substance is such a damn cop out for these so called hip hop heads. What was HOV's substance? How about Biggies? The biggest rappers of all times have their own style and substance is what they make it and what they pour into their work. Drake often raps about making it big, the hard work he put into it, and of course the [expletive]es lol. Like I said you dont have to like him, but for the last 6 years he has been the biggest and most consistent in the hip hop game and thats the truth. He gets respect from both Nas and Jay, Nas was calling him a breath of fresh air back in 2009. Calling the dude soft is one thing but he is a good artist at what he does.

So because he can do two things you dont like him, ahaha. There are very few artist out there that are true dual threats. Drake can drop a hot track where it will have dudes bumping it in the car blasting, and then drop an R&B track that will make the ladies go crazy. Thats a true artist, the dude even writes some R&B tracks for other singers. Normally big R&B artist and singers dont make their own content. I would have to disagree that he cant transcend his sound, he changed up the rap game a little. Ten years ago if a rapper rapped about emotions or anything no one would bang with him. Drake does that and sings, yet he is one of the first names artist call if they need a hot verse on a song or a nice hook on a rap song.

Lol listen to every single album he put out after his mixtapes. there trash rap wise. you won't admit it. once you hit the money phase and you give in your never gonna come out. he doesn't drop bars anymore, which a rapper does. and he never will. Drake sold out his first album. he is trash now. He isn't a "dual" threat. He can't spit for [expletive]... lmfao. the dude can't put out a hot song without repeating the same lyrics.

Nas doesn't respect a [expletive] that goes mainstream. He went at J. Cole for doing that his first album. Take Care came out after 2009 Take Care was horrible "mainstream" trash.youre gonna put old HOV and Big into this conversation? lmfao...? they're legends because they proved they can spit bars anytime they want. HOV doesn't do it anymore cause it doesn't make money, like it use too. Big is dead and he's a legend. 

You wanna compare bars to any of the rapper i suggest, i'll be glad to do it. So Far Gone is nothing compared to what some rappers put out in there mixtapes or they're current albums. The fact of the matter is that NWTS was just plain horrible sobby bull[expletive] with no rap. You can't call yourself a good rapper after putting out an album after that.

I don't give a [expletive] about R&B, it's either you go hard on track with lyrics, make money off that, or its not the competitive rap that created the game in the past. Sure, hes gonna sell, [expletive] lil wayne can still sell a million a week. But he ain't a real rapper.

Ok, you claim he's the hottest? I'm guessing thats cause he gets sales.. I'll use metacritic. And if you argue against metacritic, imma stop arguing because that stupidity.

Drake

Drake's Scores
  • Music
Average career score: 77 Highest Metascore:Lowest Metascore:
per page
Title: Year: Credit: User score:
Take Care Nov 15, 2011 Primary Artist 7.9
Thank Me Later Jun 15, 2010 Primary Artist 6.9
So Far Gone [EP] Sep 15, 2009 Primary Artist 7.0
So Far Gone [Mixtape]

Drake ain't the hottest rapper anymore. key words rapper. The guy in my avy has that throne currently. And no one can argue that. In fact, he has a better Metacritic score. ironic, his albums is less than his mixtape. I wonder why.

Kendricks Metacritic: 

Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar's Scores
  • Music
Average career score: 85 Highest Metascore:Lowest Metascore:
Title: Year: Credit: User score:
Section.80 Jul 2, 2011 Primary Artist 8.6
Good Kid, M.A.A.D City Oct 22, 2012 Primary Artist 8.6

Well, you can say Kendrick only got two records but Drake has been declining since SFG. he may sell more, but thats what happens when you sell out. Don't call him the biggest rapper in the industry when he barely raps in the first place. There's kanye and jay z; calling drake bigger than jigga is disrespectful. those two are both bigger heads than drake. 

end of story.

Edited by Ham, September 19, 2013 - 08:13 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#27 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,810 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 09:20 PM

^^^ Lol just another person that says drake aint a rapper because all his songs dont have a big bass beat in the back.

You can think what you want, but like I said he gets love from both Nas and Hov, with Hov calling drake the Kobe of RAP because he sees himself as jordan. You can look up what both of them say about him, Im not lying Nas said what I said he said and so did Hov.

So I mean if your gonna say the legandary MC's that are Hov and Nas are wrong about Drake being a hot Rapper, I suppose you just know more about hip hop and the culture then two of the hottest to ever do it.

Take care had plenty of bars, each album he has dropped has had bars on them. NWTS is certainly more of an R&B album, but that is what he wanted to make.

I talked about Big and Hov because I want you to tell me what is their substance? Substance is thrown around so much, but what does it really mean? Last I checked Hov and Big both rap about the same stuff drake does, just instead of talking hood stuff drake talks about girls more. K. dot raps about the same damn stuff as them as well, but wait no he has substance, right? I was trying to prove that substance is just bull crap wannabe hip hop heads make up, substance is what an artist pours on to the track. Substance is made when a rapper uses literary devices to bring his words to life, hence the term when someone is lyrical.

I can give you plenty of songs where Drake kills the track, and even tracks where he talks about deep [expletive] and you still wouldnt recognize it just because you hate on the dude, and thats fine. I called him the consistently hottest over the last six years because thats what I think not because of sales. I can give you a rap 6 years ago from him that was super hot, and give you one that is a few months old that he still killed. However, I will say it again you just dont like the dude so therefore you wont give credit where credit is due. Maybe its because he does R&B stuff, or maybe because he doesnt talk street [expletive], but either way he has been killing the game for the last 6 years. Thats what about three times longer then K dot has even been relevant?

Edited by PhillyLaker24, September 19, 2013 - 09:22 PM.

#28 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted September 19, 2013 - 09:27 PM

yikes! what an insult to kobe

Pau Gasol is GONE

#29 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,549 posts

Posted September 20, 2013 - 12:24 PM

^^^ Lol just another person that says drake aint a rapper because all his songs dont have a big bass beat in the back.

You can think what you want, but like I said he gets love from both Nas and Hov, with Hov calling drake the Kobe of RAP because he sees himself as jordan. You can look up what both of them say about him, Im not lying Nas said what I said he said and so did Hov.

So I mean if your gonna say the legandary MC's that are Hov and Nas are wrong about Drake being a hot Rapper, I suppose you just know more about hip hop and the culture then two of the hottest to ever do it.

Take care had plenty of bars, each album he has dropped has had bars on them. NWTS is certainly more of an R&B album, but that is what he wanted to make.

I talked about Big and Hov because I want you to tell me what is their substance? Substance is thrown around so much, but what does it really mean? Last I checked Hov and Big both rap about the same stuff drake does, just instead of talking hood stuff drake talks about girls more. K. dot raps about the same damn stuff as them as well, but wait no he has substance, right? I was trying to prove that substance is just bull crap wannabe hip hop heads make up, substance is what an artist pours on to the track. Substance is made when a rapper uses literary devices to bring his words to life, hence the term when someone is lyrical.

I can give you plenty of songs where Drake kills the track, and even tracks where he talks about deep [expletive] and you still wouldnt recognize it just because you hate on the dude, and thats fine. I called him the consistently hottest over the last six years because thats what I think not because of sales. I can give you a rap 6 years ago from him that was super hot, and give you one that is a few months old that he still killed. However, I will say it again you just dont like the dude so therefore you wont give credit where credit is due. Maybe its because he does R&B stuff, or maybe because he doesnt talk street [expletive], but either way he has been killing the game for the last 6 years. Thats what about three times longer then K dot has even been relevant?

Give me Drake tracks that are deep and he delivers with pure rap that's not SFG

TML and TC were horrific for straight rap. TML was a failed debut. TC was mainly mainstream, nothing special, which is why he got lower than an 80 for most reviews. You obviously don't know the difference between of what made rap so special and what it is today. 

All rappers talk about essentially the same thing. But can they all deliver the same? Lets compare Drake talking about making it big.

[Hook]
Started from the bottom now we're here
Started from the bottom now my whole team [expletive]in' here
Started from the bottom now the whole team here, [expletive]
Started from the bottom now my whole team here, [expletive]
Started from the bottom now the whole team [expletive]in' here

[Verse 1]
I done kept it real from the jump
Livin' at my momma's house we'd argue every month

[expletive], I was tryna get it on my own
Workin' all night, traffic on the way home
And my uncle callin' me like, "Where ya at?
I gave you the keys told ya bring it right back”

[expletive], I just think it's funny how it goes
Now I'm on the road, half a million for a show and we...

[Hook]

[Verse 2]
Boys tell stories 'bout the man
Say I never struggled, wasn't hungry, yeah, I doubt it
[expletive], I could turn your boy into the man
There ain't really much out here that's poppin' off without us
[expletive], we just want the credit where it's due
I'ma worry 'bout me, give a [expletive] about you
[expletive], just as a reminder to myself
I wear every single chain, even when I'm in the house cause we...

[Hook]

[Bridge]
No new [expletive]as, [expletive] we don't feel that
[expletive] a fake friend, where your real friends at?
We don't like to do too much explainin'
Story stayed the same, I never changed it
No new [expletive]as, [expletive] we don’t feel that
[expletive] a fake friend, where you real friends at?

We don't like to do too much explainin'
Story stayed the same through the money and the fame cause we...

Kendrick's turn "black boy fly." And i only need to put in one verse.. 

My mama didn't raise me up to be jealous-hearted
Like most of the winners call it

Regardless of where you stay, hold your head and continue marching
That's what she said but in my head I wanted to be like Jordan
Award touring the country with money from mic recording

The only way out the ghetto, you know the stereotype
Shooting hoops or live on the stereo like top 40

And shortly, I got discouraged
Like every time I walked to the corner had them guns bursting
[expletive], I was rehearsing in repetition the phrase
That only one in a million will ever see better days

Especially when the crime waves was bigger than tsunamis
Break your boogie boards to pieces
 you just a typical homy
All these [expletive]as facetious and they all standing beside me
They all will buy me a chopper if any one of you try me

What am I to do when every neighborhood is an obstacle
When 2 [expletive]as making it out had never sounded logical
3 [expletive]as making it out, that's mission impossible

So I never believed the type of performance that I could do
I wasn't jealous cuz of the talents they got
I was terrified they'll be the last black boys to fly...
Out of Compton

As you can see this is pretty self-explanatory. And of course, Kendrick would murder Drake on any track if they did one together. That is pretty sad cause this is probably one of Kendrick worser songs. You wanna compare their best? Don't even go there.

I would compare other rappers but the two hottest right now. One is mainstream, the other is pure rap.

Now sit the [expletive] down with your mainstream BS and get a taste of what real rap is like. 

Edited by Ham, September 20, 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#30 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,312 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted September 20, 2013 - 01:10 PM

Drake never was a rapper and never will be one. I look at him as another RnB artist who tries to label his name as a 'rap artist'. His rapping is as god awful as his acting to be honest.

#31 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,090 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 07:44 AM

tumblr_mt8zm4cZRz1ripevso1_400.gif

Pau Gasol is GONE

#32 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,810 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 07:59 AM

No arguing with someone that thinks they know everything. Music is a taste and preference and two of the best ever rappers have called Drake a talented rapper and artist, yet you say he is neither. That is funny, right? I forgot you have multiple platinum records and your word is regarded in the hip hop world. Just another person that thinks they know everything about a subjective topic.

#33 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,549 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 08:39 AM

No arguing with someone that thinks they know everything. Music is a taste and preference and two of the best ever rappers have called Drake a talented rapper and artist, yet you say he is neither. That is funny, right? I forgot you have multiple platinum records and your word is regarded in the hip hop world. Just another person that thinks they know everything about a subjective topic.

You would bring up subjectivity and his accolades when you are clearly losing this argument. the platinum records dont mean [expletive] whenthey didnt contribute to rap at all. Of course, he is an artist? I never knew I had to say something so simple? I am saying he is not a true rapper. Drake has never shown the lyrical prowess of Kendrick Lamar, the "hottest" current rapper. I'll put a nail in your coffin if you try to argue that. yes i referenced eminem. That's fact. Btw, Kendrick gets praise from almost every great so idk where you're going with this. You can be hot all you want, but are you truly a rapper or are you doing it for the money? You can get those answers from the artists music. Rap is spitting about real [expletive]. Something your catchy phrase loving simple mind would not understand.

:laughing:  :laughing:

Edited by Ham, September 21, 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#34 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,198 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 21, 2013 - 09:07 AM

I can go on for hours about good music to me, but the problem is, it's my opinion an when it's one persons opinion, it could mean jack to anybody else.

Saying that, in my opinion, Drake is more of an entertainer to me and not a rapper. His best work was his mixtape, but ever since then..... He's been falling off and he really never was on to fall off.
Posted Image

#35 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,549 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 02:11 PM

Saying that, in my opinion, Drake is more of an entertainer to me and not a rapper. His best work was his mixtape, but ever since then..... He's been falling off and he really never was on to fall off.

#36 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,761 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 21, 2013 - 02:17 PM

Does Drake ALWAYS gotta be "whipped" about something?     Another artist that's gotten away from their originality and is now making albums off one selling point.   And Drake's is "I'm whipped" 

Dude was even on the Deuces remix(a song about letting a girl go that always mistreats you) and was singing about WANTING HER BACK!!! -_-   But I didn't really pay it any mind.  

But now it seems like every other Drake song is about self pity, self loathing, or being "whipped" and you know what I mean. 

Edited by Majesty, September 21, 2013 - 02:19 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#37 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,761 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 21, 2013 - 02:29 PM

Seems like he needs some Gil taught "knowledge"

THEY STILL AIN'T LISTENING!!!

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#38 DeeZee

DeeZee

Sixth Man

• 4,149 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, wilt,kareem

Posted September 21, 2013 - 02:36 PM

Best thing in this thread are those GIFs windu posted

#39 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,549 posts

Posted September 21, 2013 - 04:42 PM

Best thing in this thread are those GIFs windu posted

I thought the best thing was that people actually thought Drake can spit fire. :whip:

#40 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 21, 2013 - 07:58 PM

LOL hip hop heads.

Would swear up and down they know more about rap then rappers who do it for a living.

@PhillyLaker24, I learned along time ago to just let them be. They're clearly bigots.

Edited by Paris, September 21, 2013 - 08:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users