Photo

ESPN The Forum: Is Mike D'Antoni On The Hot Seat?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

• 40,365 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 11:36 PM

Mark Willard and Arash Markazi debate what Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni must accomplish this season to remain the head coach in Los Angeles.

yo.

#2 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,987 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted September 14, 2013 - 01:25 AM

If anyone is at all surprised by this statement, then ignorance is truly bliss.

#3 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,997 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 14, 2013 - 04:52 AM

He [expletive]ing better be! 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#4 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,427 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted September 14, 2013 - 05:34 PM

I like Arash Markazi, read his articles, but him saying that MDA is a top level coach is laughable.

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,840 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 14, 2013 - 06:23 PM

During the Suns run he did make it work with the talent on that roster.  Let's be honest, no one was expecting Steve Nash to do what he did.  We can say he caught lightning in a bottle but nothign Nash did in Dallas prepared us for the explosion, and I'm sure no one expected it out of Joe Johnson as well.

I'll talk about his inability to change strategy(though I think had Joe not gone down they would have beat the Spurs) I will say that his style CAN bring the best out of some players, it did wonders for Nash, Joe Johnson, even people like Jeremy Lin who can't seem to recapture it and it worked for Stat when he had Nash running it to him.

The problem in New York was that you had two forwards that wanted to post, in Stat and Carmelo, that's the issue as has been brought up numerous times, D'antoni doesn't do double post, and the most you'll see of two big men posting is in a Horns set he likes to run.

The problem was, Carmelo should have been the 4 on that team and Stoudamire should have come off the bench.

Both Phoenix and New York found success basically running the same style, the problem was Gentry eventually lost the team(though they could have taken us 7 in one of our prime years) and Woodson is as inept as D'antoni with adjustments, maybe even worse from time to time.

What it comes down to this year is I'm not worried about our offense clicking, I'm not worried about it working.  I'm focused on what Rambis is gonna have our team commit to on the defensive end.   That's where my focus is, the offense I'm not too worried about.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#6 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,695 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted September 16, 2013 - 05:18 AM

I have no doubt that Rambis was brought in for the stated purpose- defense.  I also think he was hired as the insurance policy, in case things get bad in- season, MDA can be let go and the team has at least a competent interim HC.

#7 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,840 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 05:19 AM

I have no doubt that Rambis was brought in for the stated purpose- defense.  I also think he was hired as the insurance policy, in case things get bad in- season, MDA can be let go and the team has at least a competent interim HC.

Rambis competence isn't in being a head coach it's in being an assistant.

#8 RayRay

RayRay

Sixth Man

• 3,522 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Hobe

Posted September 16, 2013 - 07:18 AM

any coach other than Phil will be in the "hot seat"

only Kobe can stop Kobe.

#9 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,695 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted September 16, 2013 - 08:28 AM

Rambis competence isn't in being a head coach it's in being an assistant.

No argument, but I think the Lakers wanted "one of their own" on the staff, just in case ....

#10 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,911 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 16, 2013 - 08:47 AM

I think they need to do a better job of hiding Arash behind that desk.

I have read his stuff since 2004 and had no idea how big he was until they started making these videos. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#11 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 292 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted September 16, 2013 - 09:19 AM

Given the Lakers present position with a lack of talent compared to other teams, the cards are stacked against D'Antoni.  That being said, true Laker fans are not realistic and expect to go deep into the playoffs and/or win a championship, no matter what the personnel issue is. 

Yes he is on the "hot seat" but every coach in the NBA is. 

A measure of sucess would be to make the playoffs. 

#12 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,433 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted September 16, 2013 - 10:14 AM

Think he's getting way too much blame.  Not that im a fan of his but no way he could do anything with the team that they have given him this year.

Given the Lakers present position with a lack of talent compared to other teams, the cards are stacked against D'Antoni.  That being said, true Laker fans are not realistic and expect to go deep into the playoffs and/or win a championship, no matter what the personnel issue is. 

Yes he is on the "hot seat" but every coach in the NBA is. 

A measure of sucess would be to make the playoffs. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#13 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,530 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted September 16, 2013 - 10:33 AM

I think he is. Mike D'Antoni has gotten the Lakers to sign the players that can fit his offense and has training camp. So no excuses for him this year. Just like Mike Brown last year but he failed.

#14 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,070 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 16, 2013 - 11:06 AM

Call it what you will, but MDA has a team now that fits what he want. He probably wants a Frye type stretch 4 forward though. Last season, he faired well because the team did their own thing after the all-star break. This season he has nothing but shooters and a few bigs, training camp, a rest Nash, maybe a stronger and healthier Pau and no defense. He has just enough rope to hang himself if he doesn't make the playoffs or gets be swept in the first round.

But what I can see is this team making the playoffs, mainly on the fact that all these recent signings have a one year deal. They have no choice but to ball out this season or risk not getting another contract

Then again, Devin Ebanks got a deal with Dallas. The sky must be purple.. lol. Just a camp invite though. Good luck to him. Lol
Posted Image

#15 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,379 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted September 16, 2013 - 11:55 AM

D'Antoni has a team that is fit to his needs for the first time. If this team can't make the playoffs, ship his ass out please

#16 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,997 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted September 16, 2013 - 12:12 PM

When's the last time a team made up of "MDA's needs" accomplished anything?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#17 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,195 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted September 16, 2013 - 12:26 PM

Is MDA on the hot seat? Rofl. Does a Bear [expletive] in the woods?

#18 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,323 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted September 16, 2013 - 12:33 PM

I think dudes like Johnson & Young would've flourished on those PHX squads. I'm really hoping that happens here. I think we have a shot at the playoffs, if not, I hope the Lakers are highly entertaining. 

veqdeg.jpg

#19 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,858 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted September 16, 2013 - 02:45 PM

A big problem was that dantonie had a mismatche roster last season, and the lakers never even tried to change it up

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,840 posts

Posted September 16, 2013 - 02:52 PM

A big problem was that dantonie had a mismatche roster last season, and the lakers never even tried to change it up

It's a problem when Dwight Howard who is a pick and roll master refused to run pick and roll with Steve Nash cause he wants to work on his post game.

Save it for the off-season! You ain't worked on your game for an entire summer due to the injury, do what comes best and forget about what everyone else says while you win.

I can live with being viewed as one dimensional for a year if it means winning a ring.

Obviously Dwight didn't feel that way as he wouldn't pick and roll with Kobe or with Nash.   Thats sort of a big deal when you bring in a coach like D'antoni who's specialty is that kind of thing.  

Least this group seems more willing, and when Nash, Kobe and Pau are on the bench I'm sure the team can run the lights out, they are deep enough to.   People assume Nash can no longer push pace anymore, the guy plays soccer whenever he can and does it without getting tired, guy just tried out for a soccer team..

If he can play soccer running back and forth on that field for a 60 min game without getting tired, a basketball court will seem small by comparison. 

That said, we will likely be running a slower pace with the Nash, Kobe and Pau lineup, and running more halfcourt sets and horns. 

It's when Farmar and Young come in that it's gonna start being fast paced.  And against other benches Farmar, Young and Kaman, or if you wanna go small ball run, Farmar, Young and Hill, can probably run the daylights out of any second unit. 

So I look forward to seeing what happens.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users