Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,460 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 13, 2013 - 04:59 AM

LAL Q&A: Xavier Henry

henry.jpg

Xavier Henry, a former lottery pick out of Kansas in the 2010 NBA draft, signed with the Lakers on Sept. 5. He took part in workouts and light scrimmages at the Lakers facility with some of the coaching staff and his teammates during his first day in L.A.. We spoke with the 6-foot-6 swingman and asked him a little about his experience playing at Kansas, his journey thus far in the league and more. Below is a transcription of our conversation:

Trevor Wong: Was there there was anything specifically that attracted you to come to Los Angeles?
Xavier Henry: During the free agent process, I was working hard and when I started to get feedback from teams, we thought (the Lakers) was a good fit for me. When the deal got done, I was excited. There’s not one thing you can say wrong about the Lakers – their history, the players, the coach, they have one of the greats in Kobe (Bryant) that you can learn from every single day. There’s so much with the Lakers to help further yourself and help the team. I’m coming in trying to make a name for myself, and to help the team.

TW: What was your experience like playing at Kansas?
Henry: It was unbelievable playing with the guys we had and under coach Bill Self. It was probably one of the most fun years of my life. For the whole year, I got better and I tried to prove a point that this is my game. It’s funny to look back that I’m not old, but only four years out of college.

TW: Was there a big adjustment period from college to the professional ranks after just one year at Kansas? You went from being a highly-recruited prospect, to a one-and-done at Kansas and then your playing time fluctuates your rookie year.
Henry: What really hurt me was I hurt my knee and basically missed the rest of the season. (Coach Hollins) played me but I wasn’t even healthy and it was hard for me to deal with that going through the rest of the year. It was like I had to start all over. (My rookie year) was going good at first right after I got drafted. I had O.J. Mayo and Tony Allen (ahead of me). They started with Mayo and we weren’t winning much; they started Allen and we still weren’t winning much, so they put me in. I was playing fine as a rookie to get my feet wet. A couple games in, my knee (acted up) and that was it. I didn’t really have anything to say about my rookie season because it went by so fast and I went down. It wasn’t a happy time for me because I was hurt and I had an opportunity in front of me. I tried to play a couple games after I got hurt and I could barely even move, and I knew I had to shut it down. Everybody was good to me. I was always battling back (from injury). I was just trying to get back healthy. If I’m healthy, I know I can play. There’s no denying that.-

See more at: http://blog.lakers.c...h.X8GpEvnl.dpuf

We'll see.  Good luck to him.  Hope he works on his defense, I don't know very much about him but he never blew me away what little I saw except the time he went off against Dallas, but in clips I've seen he seems to understand how to play passing lanes a little and his 7 foot wingspan comes in handy, but he doesn't look like he finishes at the rim well and his three point shooting sample sizes in the pros are far too small to form a true opinion on as he seems more intent on slashing and drawing fouls than he does shooting threes.

Apparently he did it well in college and I saw one game of his where he lit up the Mavericks but aside from that I don't know THAT much about him honestly.  Anyone wanna help me out?

Edited by Majesty, September 13, 2013 - 05:02 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,371 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted September 13, 2013 - 05:19 AM

nice read

hope he has a good year in LA!!!

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#3 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,460 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 05:52 AM

nice read

hope he has a good year in LA!!!

If he makes the team I don't think Meeks lasts the deadline depending on Kobe's health of course.

Edited by Majesty, September 13, 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#4 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,921 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 13, 2013 - 07:41 AM

Meeks >>>> Henry.  Not really sure if Meeks is a trade asset.  He's a 1.5M dollar expiring...

If he makes the team I don't think Meeks lasts the deadline depending on Kobe's health of course.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#5 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,460 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Meeks >>>> Henry.  Not really sure if Meeks is a trade asset.  He's a 1.5M dollar expiring...

That's why I said if Henry makes the team.  Cause obviously if he makes the team Meeks is the guy he pushes out of the way most likely.

Another thing I found out was that for a majority of his career Henry's been played out of position at the 3(he's 6'6) and should be playing a 2, so if I had a guess I'd say he'll be played 2 during the pre-season.

Edited by Majesty, September 13, 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#6 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,576 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted September 13, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Yeah Henry is awful. I really hope he is improving an can make the team, but there's almost nothing he does well.

#7 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,921 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 13, 2013 - 11:23 AM

I think that was a blessing for him due to his limitations as a player.  Not much of a shooter or ball handler.  Can't have guys playing 2 guard that can't do those 2 things.  He'd probably be worse at the 2 in the NBA.

That's why I said if Henry makes the team.  Cause obviously if he makes the team Meeks is the guy he pushes out of the way most likely.

Another thing I found out was that for a majority of his career Henry's been played out of position at the 3(he's 6'6) and should be playing a 2, so if I had a guess I'd say he'll be played 2 during the pre-season.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#8 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,167 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted September 13, 2013 - 12:20 PM

I seriously doubt he'll make the team

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#9 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,295 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 13, 2013 - 12:21 PM

Didn't see much of him play. Hope he gets minutes in the pre season to see of that knee is healthy
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users