31 replies to this topic

#1 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 09, 2013 - 11:02 AM

Total Burden (TB) is the percentage of all of a team’s half-court points that can be attributed to a player, either via assisting on a basket or scoring himself. Half-court situations are used because during fastbreaks the opposing defense plays an overwhelmingly most important role in determining the play sequencing and outcome. Conversely, in the half-court, while defenses always try to make the offense work through lesser players, offenses have always found a way to get the majority of their shot opportunities taken by their preferred shooters.

Perhaps most surprising is seeing Kobe Bryant lead the NBA last season in total burden. His 38.1% TB is particularly amazing considering the increase in talent surrounding him this season. Add this offensive burden to Mike D’Antoni’s last season decision to match the 16-season vet up with the opposing team’s best player each night and Bryant’s late season Achilles injury makes a lot more sense.

Full Article: http://www.bsports.c...burden-rankings

I recommend clicking on the link to see the complete chart and methodology, but MDA has got to adapt the offense and pace this year to avoid a repeat scenario. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, September 09, 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#2 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,071 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 09, 2013 - 11:16 AM

Add this offensive burden to Mike D’Antoni’s last season decision to match the 16-season vet up with the opposing team’s best player each night and Bryant’s late season Achilles injury makes a lot more sense.

How was THAT on D'Antoni?

Metta just couldn't, Ebanks sucked...so Kobe TOOK the challenge. He did the same thing with Phil

#3 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted September 09, 2013 - 12:05 PM

The coach's job is to regulate what their players do on the floor. You don't allow your 34 year old superstar to shoulder the burden on the offensive end AND guard the opposing team's best perimeter player. If D'Antoni had any sense of the concept of defense, we would have had a system in place by the end of January and wouldn't have had to struggle so much on a nightly basis just to get by mediocre competition.

Phil allowed it because Kobe was still in his prime, but that's not the case anymore. If Phil was on the sidelines this season, I can almost guarantee that Kobe wouldn't have played such heavy minutes all year long. We would have had a system on both ends of the floor, he would have established roles for everyone on this team, and, most importantly, he'd adapt to the situations at hand instead of trying to force through the same horrible rotations/lineups on a nightly basis.

#4 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,071 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 12:17 PM

The coach's job is to regulate what their players do on the floor. You don't allow your 34 year old superstar to shoulder the burden on the offensive end AND guard the opposing team's best perimeter player. If D'Antoni had any sense of the concept of defense, we would have had a system in place by the end of January and wouldn't have had to struggle so much on a nightly basis just to get by mediocre competition.

Phil allowed it because Kobe was still in his prime, but that's not the case anymore. If Phil was on the sidelines this season, I can almost guarantee that Kobe wouldn't have played such heavy minutes all year long. We would have had a system on both ends of the floor, he would have established roles for everyone on this team, and, most importantly, he'd adapt to the situations at hand instead of trying to force through the same horrible rotations/lineups on a nightly basis.

Phil couldn't control Kobe.

What would have happened with Phil, however, is we would not have been at that point, as far as 17-25.

But anyone blaming D'Antoni for what happened to Kobe, instead of Kobe, is biased

this isn't RG3, this isn't Derrick Rose.

Kobe is 17 years in the NBA. Not one coach, GM, or anybody can TELL him anything. They can make suggestions and so forth, but TELL him?

No!

But, I will say D'Antoni was almos an observer, but in part that's due to no training camp.

Kobe is the one who made the playoff promise, and he wasn't going to allow D'Antoni to  take him out the game

BUT, I BLAME KOBE for this.

Kobe was hurt TWICE in that game, and he didn't TRUST his teammates enough to come out the game.

I love Kobe, but if you deny that he was ASKED by D'Antoni to put himself in jeopardy in the game in which he got hurt, you're a lie

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,481 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 09, 2013 - 12:19 PM

Considering all the injuries around and how complicated the triangle is(Pau and Nash's injuries were the kind that would be re-curring) and Pau wouldn't be able to navigate the ways Phil would want him to and how long Nash would have lasted on that nagging injury would have been unknown at that point when it comes to a complicated offense like the triangle it behooves me to believe we would have been so successful this year.

D'antoni's simplistic pick and roll offensive parts they never developed any chemistry on because of those nagging injuries flaring up.

If they as a team were unable to grasp even the pick and roll elements of D'antoni's offense(mostly because Dwight was non committal)  then I have a hard time believing that they all would have grasped the concept of the triangle with all the injuries to all the players.      Kobe probably doesn't go down with injury but we struggle all the same, probably more so because the triangle is much more complicated than what D'antoni wanted to teach them and it isn't an offense you just come in mid season and the players "get" when half the entire roster is constantly dealing with nagging injury.

But it would be okay that we struggled cause Phil wouldn't have gotten a training camp to fully implement everything necessary nor a pre-season and the team would have been dealing with injuries all year so we'd all be looking forward to the off-season when Phil could implement everything properly the way he wanted and the team could start to sync.

Problem is, Dwight still would have likely left.

Edited by Majesty, September 09, 2013 - 12:19 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#6 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,537 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted September 09, 2013 - 12:45 PM

What would have happened with Phil, however, is we would not have been at that point, as far as 17-25.

But anyone blaming D'Antoni for what happened to Kobe, instead of Kobe, is biased

Kobe is 17 years in the NBA. Not one coach, GM, or anybody can TELL him anything. They can make suggestions and so forth, but TELL him?

No!

But, I will say D'Antoni was almos an observer, but in part that's due to no training camp.

Kobe is the one who made the playoff promise, and he wasn't going to allow D'Antoni to  take him out the game

Kobe was hurt TWICE in that game, and he didn't TRUST his teammates enough to come out the game.

I love Kobe, but if you deny that he was ASKED by D'Antoni to put himself in jeopardy in the game in which he got hurt, you're a lie

It's the coach's job. If the coach can't even get the respect from his players....hes a bad coach. A coach controls how many minutes a player plays, not the player. 

Phil knew how to control his players and he would have took Kobe out of the game after his first injury...like a GOOD coach is supposed to do.

Considering all the injuries around and how complicated the triangle is(Pau and Nash's injuries were the kind that would be re-curring) and Pau wouldn't be able to navigate the ways Phil would want him to and how long Nash would have lasted on that nagging injury would have been unknown at that point when it comes to a complicated offense like the triangle it behooves me to believe we would have been so successful this year.

D'antoni's simplistic pick and roll offensive parts they never developed any chemistry on because of those nagging injuries flaring up.

If they as a team were unable to grasp even the pick and roll elements of D'antoni's offense(mostly because Dwight was non committal)  then I have a hard time believing that they all would have grasped the concept of the triangle with all the injuries to all the players.      Kobe probably doesn't go down with injury but we struggle all the same, probably more so because the triangle is much more complicated than what D'antoni wanted to teach them and it isn't an offense you just come in mid season and the players "get" when half the entire roster is constantly dealing with nagging injury.

But it would be okay that we struggled cause Phil wouldn't have gotten a training camp to fully implement everything necessary nor a pre-season and the team would have been dealing with injuries all year so we'd all be looking forward to the off-season when Phil could implement everything properly the way he wanted and the team could start to sync.

Problem is, Dwight still would have likely left.

If we had Phil....DH would still be here (IMO).

#7 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,071 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 01:13 PM

It's the coach's job. If the coach can't even get the respect from his players....hes a bad coach. A coach controls how many minutes a player plays, not the player. 

Phil knew how to control his players and he would have took Kobe out of the game after his first injury...like a GOOD coach is supposed to do.

If we had Phil....DH would still be here (IMO).

Maybe, i can say even probable, but you never know.

Dwight could have been the type of dude who said, Phil wanted me to be like Shaq and I'm not that type of player, because the HYPE would have been bigger with Phil. But who knows, like I'm just tired of that whole conversation. Phil wanted some things the Lakers ultimately didn't want to concede at that time.

#8 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,481 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 01:31 PM

Dwight could have been the type of dude who said, Phil wanted me to be like Shaq and I'm not that type of player, because the HYPE would have been bigger with Phil. But who knows, like I'm just tired of that whole conversation. Phil wanted some things the Lakers ultimately didn't want to concede at that time.

Dwight pretty much said that our style wasn't right for him then he goes to a team with virtually the same style.

If we'd struggled with the triangle Dwight would have said "The triangle just ain't for me.  I wasn't played to my strengths(pick and roll) and Houston's style suits me more."

Thing is he'd probably have more of an argument if he'd left the triangle to go play pick and roll and three point shooting, than what he did which was leave pick and roll for pick and roll =P

#9 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts

Posted September 09, 2013 - 02:50 PM

No!

You've got to be joking. Phil's claim to fame as a great head coach is specifically his ability to manage his players, and that includes monster egos like Kobe, Jordan and Shaq. Great coaches command respect from their players, keep them under control if they act up, and get the most out of them. Both D'Antoni and Brown have been incapable of doing this, and it's the biggest reason why we've flamed out so badly over the last two seasons.

It's specifically because he's been in the league for 17 years that we need a coach capable of keeping him safe from himself. Everyone knows that Kobe will do whatever it takes to win. But if that involves him putting himself in harm's way (which is exactly what happened last season with him logging 40+ minutes over the last month of the season), then that's terrible for us. And yeah, legitimate coaches will tell their players off if it comes down to it. You can't be afraid of butting heads with your star player if it's for the good of the team. Keeping Kobe healthy enough to compete on a nightly basis, not pushing him to the point of exhaustion, is something that any decent coach would have done. They would have established roles on the team, managed minutes effectively, and had an actual system in place at some point during the season. The excuse of a lack of a training camp is complete bull, he had MONTHS to come up with a system, but we didn't see anything all year long.

Kobe was 2nd in the league at 38.6 minutes per game at the age of 34, with all the mileage on him. There was no one in the top 40 that even came close to playing as many minutes throughout their career. The next comparable player mileage-wise was Paul Pierce, who was 46th in the league at 33.4 minutes per game. You can't honestly tell me that there aren't an extra 5 minutes in a game that Kobe could have gotten rest, that it was imperative for him to push himself to the point of exhaustion just for us to win. You know what could have given him that extra few minutes of rest? An actual system with effective rotations and a gameplan. We didn't have that, we had to rely on Kobe bailing us out time and time again, and his body eventually gave out as a result of that.

Kobe being hurt twice, especially the 2nd time when he was very slow to get up, would have been the point at which any half decent coach would have taken him out of the game. If the coach is intimidated by his own player, scared to cause any sort of confrontation (which has been D'Antoni's thing his entire career), then he's no good for a team with a superstar player.

I don't even know how to interpret your last sentence. Deny that he was asked by D'Antoni to...what? What I believe happened is that D'Antoni just kept riding Kobe (like he did after the All-Star Break), till he gave out. Hey, Kobe's not tired and asking to come out, so it should be fine! It's the same thing he did with Nash and Amar'e in Phoenix and the same thing he did with Jeremy Lin through that Linsanity period.

#10 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,537 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted September 10, 2013 - 08:27 AM

Dwight pretty much said that our style wasn't right for him then he goes to a team with virtually the same style.

If we'd struggled with the triangle Dwight would have said "The triangle just ain't for me.  I wasn't played to my strengths(pick and roll) and Houston's style suits me more."

Thing is he'd probably have more of an argument if he'd left the triangle to go play pick and roll and three point shooting, than what he did which was leave pick and roll for pick and roll =P

We have MDA as our head coach......thats a big reason why Dwight left.If Phil was here....we would have had a much better chance.

so why blame Kobe for MDA's terrible coaching?

#11 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,177 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted September 10, 2013 - 08:56 AM

You obviously dont remember how PJ also ran Kobe in to nagging injuries as well. He is very stubborn Coach like them all. When game is in close reach or on the line = thats kobe time so its nothing new to me.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,481 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 10:31 AM

We have MDA as our head coach......thats a big reason why Dwight left.If Phil was here....we would have had a much better chance.

so why blame Kobe for MDA's terrible coaching?

Unless we made the conference finals with Phil(highly unlikely considering the injuries and time necessary to click in the triangle) Dwight would have left. D'antoni coaches a style Dwight plays best in(that's why he went to Houston). Dwight could have easily said 'the triangle ain't for me' and bolted for a style closer to his.

Dwight left because Kobe is there. Simple as that. He doesn't think Kobe can get it done. That's why he said the best timing for him to be a Laker was two years ago(when Kobe was still in his prime) or two years from now(when Kobe likely retires). He basically made under the breath remarks about Kobe whenever the question of why he left comes up.

He didn't believe in Kobe, was intimidated by the challenge and what to live up to, and didn't think our front office could pull in any free agents to compliment his style and saw Houston as a younger easier alternative where winning doesn't matter as much he felt and where it'd be easier to take the team from Harden or at least be sene equal whereas on the Lakers he didn't want to play at a level that would take the team from Kobe cause that wouldn't ha e been 'fun'. D'antoni also stopped compromising for Dwight who refused to do what he was best at all season.

And if you ask Nash who doesn't BS he felt Dwight never really wanted to be a Laker.

Dwight doesn't re-sign unless Kobe is gone or muzzled and "let's" Dwight take the team without him having to raise his level to do so. Phil doesn't change that. Phil would have told him like he told Shaq, "you're gonna master this or be gone." And Dwight would be gone. Phil is as demanding of his players as Kobe is and Dwight has shown, he can't take it. Not with Van Gundy not even with freaking D'antoni, Phil would have made him sit in a corner and cry as mentally gone and non commital as Dwight was at times last year. Simple as that.

That is why Dwight left and if Phil was here his excuse would be even grander to use.

#13 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,177 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted September 10, 2013 - 12:25 PM

^I think its more D12 didnt want to win alongside Kobe cause he wouldnt have gotten enough credit. Kobes production last season was clear he could still do whatever he wanted to on the court. D12 wants the attention & recognition for winning. He doesnt want to be sidekick of a kobes Shadow & he def didnt want the Shaq shadow cloud looming anymore cause he heard about it after every sub par gm he put up.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,481 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 01:14 PM

^I think its more D12 didnt want to win alongside Kobe cause he wouldnt have gotten enough credit. Kobes production last season was clear he could still do whatever he wanted to on the court. D12 wants the attention & recognition for winning. He doesnt want to be sidekick of a kobes Shadow & he def didnt want the Shaq shadow cloud looming anymore cause he heard about it after every sub par gm he put up.

yeah you got to look at it this way as well.

In 2014 the Lakers were looking at bringing in either LeBron or Carmelo and with Dwight locked in there it's VERY appealing.

So from Dwight's perspective if it came down to he can't take the team from Kobe.

What happens if LeBron came there? Or if Carmelo came there?

If they won the title as Kobe LeBron and Dwight or Kobe Carmelo and Dwight.     How much credit does Dwight get then?   Does he become for lack of a better word the "Bosh" of that team?

I think Dwight saw at the end of the tunnel the Lakers were never going to be "his" team. As well.  He wasn't gonna take it from Kobe, and he wasn't gonna take it from Carmelo or LeBron when Kobe retired. He'd always be second fiddle here and didn't want to do what was necessary to become the player that could take the team from either of them.

So he took the easy way out to Houston where he feels at least he and Harden can say its "their" team and he doesn't want a better 'leader' on that team than what he feels he or Harden is.  That's why he wants Lin and Asik to stay and didn't want Rondo and would have rather had Josh Smith.

#15 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 09:29 PM

You obviously dont remember how PJ also ran Kobe in to nagging injuries as well. He is very stubborn Coach like them all. When game is in close reach or on the line = thats kobe time so its nothing new to me.

Nagging injuries =/= tearing a tendon. Phil wouldn't have pushed Kobe to the point of exhaustion where his body gave out. He wouldn't have kept Kobe in the game after he went down twice, hard, and he definitely wouldn't have had him shouldering such a huge load for so long during the season. He would have fixed the team's issues early on by establishing a system and roles, lessened Kobe's workload, and would have given us a fighting chance in the postseason with a healthy Kobe Bryant.

It wasn't some freak injury like Kobe's mangled fingers, this injury could have completely been avoided if we had a coach that actually knew what the hell he was doing on the sideline.

#16 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,071 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 09:35 PM

Nagging injuries =/= tearing a tendon. Phil wouldn't have pushed Kobe to the point of exhaustion where his body gave out. He wouldn't have kept Kobe in the game after he went down twice, hard, and he definitely wouldn't have had him shouldering such a huge load for so long during the season. He would have fixed the team's issues early on by establishing a system and roles, lessened Kobe's workload, and would have given us a fighting chance in the postseason with a healthy Kobe Bryant.

It wasn't some freak injury like Kobe's mangled fingers, this injury could have completely been avoided if we had a coach that actually knew what the hell he was doing on the sideline.

:wall:

Kobe's gift is his curse. And it's his gift, hence his return will be dramatic. This is Kobe's story. D'Antoni is just a character 

Edited by BasketballIQ, September 10, 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#17 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,481 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 09:45 PM

yeah Phil could have done that.. but..

It doesn't mean that the players would have responded to those roles.

And how would he have defined roles accordingly if guys were constantly going out with injuries?

We would have had a vast issue of chemistry problems trying to learn the triangle because no one could stay healthy on the team last year and by the time Phil gave one a role another would have came down.

I love Phil but it's a talent thing as well as a health thing.

Phil could have formulated everything perfectly on paper but once guys kept succumbing to nagging injuries and we had to walk into games starting Sacre we still would have lost those games.

Even with Phil we don't finish probably 6th because of all those injuries we endured.

Phil needed an entire training camp AND pre-season to teach the Lakers the triangle till they got it, and it was a Lakers team where they'd played years together.

Last year he wouldn't even have had that.

He would have been tasked with introducing the triangle and getting them all to master it while injuries were going on, while teammates were going down, while everyone was still trying to "get it".  They couldn't freaking grasp the Princeton yet!! But they were supposed to get the triangle with the rotation constantly changing due to injuries?

Know what likely would have happened?

Kobe would have had to carry the entire team on his back again MAKING it work with them through the triangle cause the team would have no chemistry. 

And as much as we would like to Martyr Phil.  He probably would have played Kobe if Kobe said "I can go."

When has Phil ever stood in Kobe's way when he wanted to go in? 

We can sit back and say "Yeah he played Kobe 39 minutes but Kobe was in his prime, yeah he wanted to win at all costs but he'd have yanked Kobe in the Golden State game."

We don't know that.  Hindsight is what is making us say it.  Do you really think Phil would have kept Jodie in if he kept missing shot after shot after shot and doing nothing?  And we weren't a team that had a deep bench where if Farmar screwed up Phil could call on Shannon.  This was if Meeks screwed up... you either went with Morris Duhon or Kobe.... you think Phil would have put Duhon or Morris in there instead?   Honestly.  We don't know, but likely not cause at the end of the day Phil cared about winning as much as we do.  And there is no saying that the same thing would have even been going on in the Golden State game or if our team chemistry would have been even better or worse, hard to make the argument for better considering we never went a solid 2 weeks with the same lineup.

What we do know is that our guys had nagging injuries last year, Jordan Hill was hurt from training camp, Dwight Howard was still recovering, Gasol had bad knees, Nash got injured before Brown was fired.

All that stuff MATTERS.

And when it comes to teaching the triangle Phil wouldn't have had the proper time to teach everyone everything and Kobe would have had to carry us through the system while guys were still trying to "get it" and probably would have had to carry us because of those injuries.  That is the most likely scenario no matter how brilliant Phil is, not even he can combat against injuries.

The triangle wouldn't have made Darius Morris a better player, it wouldn't have made Duhon consistent and it wouldn't make Sacre consistent and wouldn't have made all those wide open threes Jodie took and already got, go in, those are guys we had to use and they definitely wouldn't have "got it" on the run and Kobe would likely have had to carry them through it, WITHOUT Gasol through stretches of the season and at that point the only guys in that lineup that understood the triangle would have been Kobe and Blake.

Depressing ain't it? 

And know what? NONE of us would have blamed Phil for doing that and having Kobe carry this team through the triangle, because he didn't have a training camp and was dealing with injuries all season and we'd be looking at this off-season the same way we are now, hoping that we remain healthy and Phil got a full training camp in to implement everything.

The unfortunate thing is Dwight still likely bolts.

And we likely don't get Farmar, or Nick Young, or Shawne Williams.  

Cause Farmar likely doesn't want to come back to the triangle, Young wouldn't feel the offense was proper, and Williams would be unfamiliar with it.

So we'd likely be going into this season not even with the bench we have, some credit has to be given that these players likely came because they WANT to play in the offense D'antoni teaches.

We already KNOW that Farmar wouldn't have come back here.

So Dwight would be gone and we wouldn't even have brought in the young core or scorers we were able to this off-season with Phil here.   Maybe only Wesley comes because Kobe was teaching him the triangle.   But Farmar and Young don't.  Maybe Kaman does, depending.

So there's also that to consider. 

And considering all the turmoil Phil would have went through last year with the injuries, having to re-teach the system, no one getting it, Kobe having to carry everyone, Dwight bolting in free agency.   Who is to say Phil would even have returned for a second year?  And if Phil decides to retire from coaching after that stressful year then we're left with nothing this off-season.

Then you know what the story becomes?  It becomes about the "old" Lakers falling to nostalgia rather than embracing change and WE would have the pundits that bash us for having D'antoni now, bashing us for NOT going with him.  The way the media works that wouldn't surprise me one bit honestly.

So there's a lot of different things that could have come from that, and none of it equals championship.  Last year or this year.

I will say THIS though.  

IF we had Phil RIGHT NOW with the roster we have currently and he had an off-season, we WOULD be talking championship aspirations cause of the depth and the way the team is built.

Edited by Majesty, September 10, 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#18 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,153 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted September 10, 2013 - 09:51 PM

Lets say Phil was coaching this upcoming year: how well would this team perform? They are younger. How much better would Pau be?

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,481 posts

Posted September 10, 2013 - 09:59 PM

Lets say Phil was coaching this upcoming year: how well would this team perform? They are younger. How much better would Pau be?

if we had Phil and we had this entire roster as it stands(which likely wouldn't have happened because neither Farmar nor Young would have signed here if Phil was our coach) we'd probably be talking about contending.

Edited by Majesty, September 10, 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#20 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,153 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted September 10, 2013 - 10:10 PM

A young athletic a team built around Kobe Pau and Nash with Phil as coach is pretty scary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users