• 38,506 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 06, 2013 - 02:45 PM

Jordan Farmar 'in a great place' back on Lakers' bench
jfarmar1.jpg

First Quotes from Article: http://www.lakersnat...ity/2013/09/06/

After winning two championships with the Los Angeles Lakers, Jordan Farmar was frustrated about his role in Phil Jackson’s triangle offense and decided to leave his hometown for the New Jersey Nets.

Although he didn’t want to leave the Lakers, he felt it was important for him to grow as a player, according to the Los Angeles Times:

“I just felt at that point, after four years in the NBA and two rings, that my role wasn’t going to be changing and I was playing the same role. I needed to give myself a chance to grow, or at least to give myself a shot and see what could happen.”

At age 26, Farmar returns as a more mature individual and is excited about the opportunity to play with the Lakers under head coach, Mike D’Antoni:

“This time around I felt this is an amazing fit, first and foremost, coming back home and playing for Coach D’Antoni right now and bringing whatever I can bring to the table and help the team.”

Second Quotes from the Article itself: http://www.latimes.c...n#axzz2e8xOiAsn

Jordan Farmar had to leave, had to distance himself from Los Angeles and the Lakers, before he could realize he belongs here and that nothing would feel as good to him as wearing purple and gold.

Farmar, a product of Woodland Hills Taft High and two years at UCLA, began his career with the Lakers and contributed to their title runs in 2009 and 2010 as a backup point guard. He departed as a free agent but has come home again, now 26 and more confident and mature.

"I'm in a great place," he said a few days ago, meaning not just Southern California but the mind-set he developed the past three years.

In 2010 he was frustrated over playing a secondary role in Phil Jackson's triangle offense, which didn't suit Farmar's game. His journey took him to New Jersey, where he averaged 9.6 and 10.4 points per game in two seasons, and during the lockout to Tel Aviv, where he reconnected with his Jewish heritage.

He followed the Lakers closely, staying up until the wee hours in Europe to watch them on TV. But not until Jackson retired and was replaced — by Mike Brown, who was replaced by Mike D'Antoni — was the situation right for Farmar to return to the Lakers, or for them to want him back. They paid his Turkish team $500,000 to buy out the rest of a contract potentially worth $10 million, and he took a one-year NBA deal for $1.1 million.

To him, it made perfect sense.

"Being a Laker is special to me," he said.

In D'Antoni's point guard-driven, up-tempo offense, Farmar can play to his strengths on the pick-and-roll. He can push the ball and make plays, providing a young, athletic alternative to the aging Steve Nash and last season's backup, Steve Blake.

Playing for D'Antoni, Farmar said, was a motivating factor to give up the money he would have gotten in Turkey.

"I had to just go on and give myself an opportunity, because I think I have a great opportunity for me to contribute a lot and just be kind of what they're looking for," he said.

And no, he said firmly, he has no regrets about leaving.

"Hindsight is 20-20 and you can say if I'd stayed, Phil Jackson quit the next year and it would have been a good opportunity for me. Who knows? At that time I had to make a decision that was right in front of me," Farmar said.

"Phil Jackson was very comfortable with Derek Fisher staying in the role that he had been playing. I just felt at that point, after four years in the NBA and two rings, that my role wasn't going to be changing and I was playing the same role. I needed to give myself a chance to grow, or at least to give myself a shot and see what could happen."

READ EVERYTHING IN ITS ENTIRETY AND NOT BROKEN APART HERE: http://www.latimes.c...n#axzz2e8xOiAsn

You know we constantly talk about what people may potentially or wouldn't want to play in D'antoni's offense.

But when we look at this off-season part of the reasons we've signed some of these guys does have to do with them feeling like the offense we'll be running suits them.   Farmar is no exception.   After years of playing in the triangle and feeling like he was never gonna get a shot over Fisher and hated handcuffing his game he left to go expand his game and mature his game.  The only reason he's back is not just because of his love for the Lakers but he feels the offense is gonna fit him.

It seems it doesn't come down to respect of the coach AS MUCH as it does to "does this offense fits me" nowadays, and an uptempo pick and roll based offense is something that appeals to the likes of Farmar, Young, Johnson etc.   

I wish it was the opposite at times but it is not.    What we seem to be doing is building the offense in a way where it can be slowed for the likes of Kobe, Nash, Gasol.  And be up tempo for everyone else.

66% of our team is in it's 20s right now(10 of the 15 players we've signed thus far).  The only guys over 30 we have are Nash, Kobe, Gasol, Blake, Kaman.    

Obviously for our centers like Gasol and Kaman we're gonna see more pick and roll in the half court set and less floor running.  For Kobe especially we'll see less floor running as well as with Nash. 

But for the likes of Hill, Farmar, Young, Johnson, Meeks, Harris, Williams we'll probably play more up tempo, particularly with our bench unit.   I don't mind that in the slightest.  But at the end of the day I want to see what we bring into training camp and how he tries to form the offense.

Whether it works or not we'll probably be able to tell within the first week of the season(of course depending if Kobe is back)

BUT for the pre-season I pretty much see us running and gunning, particularly because Young is gonna be the 2 instead of Kobe who likely won't return in pre-season even if he physically can and will be spending time getting into Mamba shape as well as I can see us sitting Nash a few pre-season games which means starting Farmar or Blake and the guys we've brought into camp is a bunch of 20 year olds so... our 2nd unit and people fighting for a spot on the team will likely be running fast paced and up tempo offense.

Will be a fun pre-season team to watch at least :laughing:  

Anyway back to Farmar, I'm glad to have him back and I think he will excel in the offense with our bench unit and it seems he feels that way too, or he wouldn't be here. That and his love for the organization in general :)

Edited by Majesty, September 06, 2013 - 02:47 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,828 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 06, 2013 - 04:56 PM

Farmar going e mad when mdt is fired and Phil comes back

I'm happy farmar is back He's been one of my favorite players since college
I only used to wonder what he was doing a mike Dantoni offense

The preseason is gonna be exciting like a Should average 110 ppg

Edited by TKainZero, September 06, 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,506 posts

Posted September 06, 2013 - 05:38 PM

Farmar going e mad when mdt is fired and Phil comes back

I'm happy farmar is back He's been one of my favorite players since college
I only used to wonder what he was doing a mike Dantoni offense

The preseason is gonna be exciting like a Should average 110 ppg

Somehow I get the feeling we'll be taking pre-season a little more seriously this year than last year.

Last year Mike Brown used pre-season strictly to experiment as well as see what worked and then he'd pull his starters.   Other teams would really keep their starters in against us.

We'd beat them for a half and then yank our starters and throw our scrubs in.

I don't think we'll see that a lot this pre-season. 

Cause just look at the bench

if we sat down all our main guys and put in this lineup

Farmar
Meeks
Johnson
Williams
Hill

or something like that, like if we sat, Nash, Blake, Kaman, Gasol and Young.

That's pretty much what we'd be putting out there to finish up games if we wanted to rest everyone in pre-season after half and even then that's not a terrible lineup for a 3rd/2nd string mix.  Not as bad as last year for sure.

Edited by Majesty, September 06, 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#4 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,096 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted September 07, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Is that Luscious Liz Hernandez?

luscious_liz7_s.jpg

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#5 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 886 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 08, 2013 - 07:50 AM

Really, Farmar? Amazing fit? MDA is a clown. the run and gun does not work in the NBA for playoff sucess. It's been proved time after time.

Edited by Yellow_Evan, September 08, 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,506 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 12:52 PM

Really, Farmar? Amazing fit? MDA is a clown. the run and gun does not work in the NBA for playoff sucess. It's been proved time after time.

Are you serious? 

Run and Gun has never has success in the playoffs? 

You never watched the Showtime Lakers?

It ain't the offense dude it's the defense.

Nearly every NBA young team out there from OKC to Miami plays a run and gun style.   

They just also play defense.   Well, Miami does.

Pick and Roll, Run and Gun HAS won in the playoffs, just not if you don't play defense. 

hence why we got Rambis.

Edited by Majesty, September 08, 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#7 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,094 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 08, 2013 - 02:04 PM

Miami , OKc, hell this year's Spurs was a run and gun, shoot a LOT of 3s type team.

Dallas beat te lakers like that

It's not a style

the best plauyers win

LeBron

Dirk

Kobe

Shaq

Duncan

Jordan

Hakeem

magic

Bird

The best players win titles

#8 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,506 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 02:34 PM

Do you honestly think that if the Suns had Kobe when they were doing this

That they WOULDN'T have won the title?

In fact they almost did, if not for Joe Johnson getting injured. 

But the thing is it comes down to the players as well, everything has to come together.

D'antoni isn't gonna run THAT(except with maybe our bench unit when Farmar is out there and Hill gets some minutes at center)

But even still, the offense wasn't the problem that team won 62 games.  Their defense was middle of the league.

At the end of the day it comes down to defense and players and of course coaching. 

Making adjustments is where D'antoni struggled as well as defensively.

We however did bring in a defensive mind to be an assistant who wants a team defensive end.

If you notice a lot of the Suns fast breaks and run and gun came off of defensive plays or stops, which is why they could attack before the defense of the other team adjusted.   That's how they got their points, and in the half court it was through multiple pick and rolls for either a layup or an open three. 

They gave us HECK with the remnants of that in 2010 when we were in championship form they nearly pushed us 7.    So I don't discredit their offense is "effective".  Then again I don't expect us top run a replica of that and the offense isn't where my worries lay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users