Photo

NBA superfan Jimmy Goldstein Explains Why He Always Rooted Against The Lakers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,658 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted September 03, 2013 - 09:08 AM

JVtop2413.jpg

Brett Pollakoff
Sep 2, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT

You’ve likely seen NBA superfan Jimmy Goldstein, even if you have no idea who he is.

The short version is that he’s a wealthy man who has a unique taste for fashion, and an equally unique passion for professional basketball which began in his teenage years. His house is probably more famous than he is outside of NBA circles and the fashion community, and it made an appearance as the residence of Jackie Treehorn in the movie “The Big Lebowski.”

Goldstein lives in Los Angeles, and while he travels during the playoffs to attend the most compelling games, he spends the regular season sitting courtside at Staples Center watching the Lakers and Clippers.

But despite the success of the Lakers franchise over the years, Goldstein has never been a fan. He’s consistently rooted against the Lakers, and in a piece he penned over at NBA.com, he explains some of his reasoning why.

As the years went by, my attachment to the Hawks waned, but my anti-Lakers sentiment became more firmly entrenched for a number of reasons. First, I usually pull for the underdog in any sports competition, and the Lakers were getting to The Finals or winning championships far too often for me. I like it when a different team becomes a title contender each year.

Secondly, I didn’t like it that the Lakers were able to attract so many superstars away from other teams. I like level competition, and the Lakers upset league balance with players like Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaquille O’Neal, and many others leaving their teams to live in Los Angeles. (Wilt and I became good friends, and he once told me of his displeasure over my pulling for the opposition, but nothing changed.) …

Many fans see me at all the Lakers games and assume I am a huge fan of the Lakers. Almost every day a stranger will approach me and say “Oh, you are the big Lakers fan.” And I respond, “No, I am an anti-Lakers fan.” In amazement they say, “Then why do you go to the games?” They don’t understand that someone can attend because of his love for the game.

These reasons are all completely understandable.

Goldstein goes on to explain that his anti-Lakers stance has affected his relationships with those who work in the game, including Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant. But I’ve seen Goldstein at many, many games interacting with players and coaches courtside, and he’s always treated with nothing short of the utmost respect.

http://probasketball...nst-the-lakers/

I remember reading a similar article a few years ago about him being a Laker hater. Before reading it, I wondered who he was since I always see him at games. Don't why he would always come to games just to root against them. Real passion from Laker Hater. Mad just cause the Lakers win too much. Which is good of course. :giggle:

#2 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,534 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted September 03, 2013 - 10:33 AM

That's pretty pathetic how he hates them so much but will attend so many Lakers games. I've even seen him in the series in OKC during the playoffs. I never knew he was a hater. Just thought he was some awkward dressing, rich fan. 

2hf753r.jpg

#3 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,825 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 03, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Salty.

#4 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,760 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 11:10 AM

Odd.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#5 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted September 03, 2013 - 11:28 AM

And in other news...

#6 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,249 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted September 03, 2013 - 11:49 AM

So I guess he is the biggest lakers fans now huh? Because the Lakers is now the underdog and a superstar just left the Lakers.   HE is the biggest bandwagoner of all time.   

Edited by epicwolf, September 03, 2013 - 11:50 AM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#7 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,598 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted September 03, 2013 - 01:09 PM

Petty reasoning. Oh well, professional sports exist for our entertainment. If he gets the most enjoyment out of sports by only rooting against one team and for every other team, doesn't make any difference to me. Seems more meaningful and fun to be apart of something instead of against something though.

• 40,494 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Woah. Who knew scarecrows were real?

I remember reading a similar article a few years ago about him being a Laker hater.

Yeah, as soon as I saw this topic and read briefly through it, I thought the same. It's pretty similar, but his mystery still remained for some I'm sure much like the curious little Asian lady who's not the one sadly from MadTV.

yo.

#9 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,944 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 03, 2013 - 07:57 PM

He watches us in hopes we lose.  NBA just ain't the same for him without the Lakers giving him something to hate.

Same way people feel about Kobe.  They "hate" him but they love to hate him and it wouldn't be the same without him.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#10 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted September 03, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Win or lose, people still care about the Lakers.

#11 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,941 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 03, 2013 - 09:23 PM

This is so cool

How many other teams have people like this?

#12 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,009 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 04, 2013 - 05:08 AM

Kobe doesn't like him.  I remember reading once that he told Pau not to speak with Goldstein. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#13 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,534 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted September 04, 2013 - 11:55 AM

Woah. Who knew scarecrows were real?

Yeah, as soon as I saw this topic and read briefly through it, I thought the same. It's pretty similar, but his mystery still remained for some I'm sure much like the curious little Asian lady who's not the one sadly from MadTV.

I know there was a post revealing her identity a while back.

2hf753r.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users