#1 Jaime Quintanilla

Jaime Quintanilla

SI ME GUSTA!

• 4,346 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 01, 2013 - 08:48 AM

Hey Laker Nation,

We have this forum for a reason, so if you have any feedback or suggestions, we believe it would be best if you leave us some now.

That is all.

(Was I cryptic enough?)

:turrible:

#2 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,031 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted September 01, 2013 - 09:02 AM

*SSL/TLS with HSTS (you can even get a free certificate from StartSSL)

*Perhaps icons specific for each forum

*Consider an official LakerNation IRC... people can make a free IRC and call it "Lakernation" if they wanted to already, so I don't see the harm in the administrators making an official one with the address (irc.lakernation.com). I understand the concern that it would take away from forum traffic, but on the contrary, it never took away from the forum traffic in my personal administrative experiences.

*IPB4 (when available)\

I think SSL is probably the most important for Lakernation. If, for example, a moderator logs into LakerNation while on a public network, like college or starbucks... someone with the know-how, like me, could run a MITM attack and sniff ALL the traffic on the network. This means that I would get the Lakernation's moderator password just by sitting in the same room as them. If LakerNation had SSL with HSTS (https://lakernation.com) and I tried to run the MITM attack, I would not be able to get the plaintext password. In other words, the users of Lakernation would be safe to login to the website in settings that are not their home.

Edited by -Wade-, September 01, 2013 - 09:21 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#3 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,031 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 09:09 AM

I would also consider adding this to the CSS:

.fade ( @duration )
{
	-moz-transition-property: color;
	-moz-transition-duration: @duration;
	-moz-transition-timing-function: linear, ease-in;

-o-transition-property: color;
	-o-transition-duration: @duration;
	-o-transition-timing-function: linear, ease-in;

-webkit-transition-property: color;
	-webkit-transition-duration: @duration;
	-webkit-transition-timing-function: linear, ease-in;
}

::selection	
{ 
	color: #FFF; 
	background: #BB00FF; 
}
::-moz-selection
{
}

::-webkit-selection
{
}

a { .fade( 0.2s ); }

I am using LESScss ^^ so I can have functions within CSS, so add this to your index or make the necessary changes to not make it a function:

<!-- In head -->
<link rel="stylesheet/less" type="text/css" href="styles.less" />
<script src="less.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Take advantage of CSS3 when possible. The littlest things like that can make the forum sexier. The fade will make the color fade into gold over 200ms (or whatever you define), rather than instantly appear gold, when you hover over a link. This makes a huge (sexy) difference. When you highlight some text, instead of being boring blue, it will be purple background with white font (or whatever combination you want).

I would also conduct a security audit (or hire someone to conduct a security audit). The security of a website goes beyond the scope of solely the software it runs (IPB). There are other things to take into consideration, like php version, mysql version, ini configurations, and more. IPB is directly affected by these things. I believe LakerNation is vulnerable to a blind mysql injection, at the moment.

Edited by -Wade-, September 01, 2013 - 09:26 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#4 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,316 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted September 01, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Twitter feed from our players will be great

#5 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,234 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted September 01, 2013 - 09:21 AM

Most up to date Tapatalk plug in. We live in a mobile world, I am logged in through my tapatalk app more often than not. Maybe even redesign the mobile site for those that don't use a tapatalk app.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#6 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,180 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 01, 2013 - 09:28 AM

Everything is perfect

Pau Gasol is GONE

#7 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,031 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 09:30 AM

Another thing I would consider doing is collaberating with the blog admins and possibly considering moving gallery and video to the forums. There are professional IPB Apps specifically for this purpose:

Edited by -Wade-, September 01, 2013 - 09:31 AM.

wKNsigp.png

#8 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,031 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 09:32 AM

Most up to date Tapatalk plug in. We live in a mobile world, I am logged in through my tapatalk app more often than not.

http://www.tapatalk.....php?plugin=ipb

Maybe even redesign the mobile site for those that don't use a tapatalk app.

If this was to be done, the entire site would have to be done in HTML5. I would just wait for IPB4, they will take care of this for you.

http://www.tidesdk.org/

Edited by -Wade-, September 01, 2013 - 09:34 AM.

wKNsigp.png

#9 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,227 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 11:17 AM

Embed tweets like this:

http://www.spurstalk...l=1#post6759755

Spoiler tags like this:

http://www.neogaf.co...postcount=13706

Edited by Marc Maron, September 01, 2013 - 11:19 AM.

hR3rI.png

#10 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,887 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted September 01, 2013 - 11:25 AM

The load more on the bottom of a forum section has never seemed to work from what I have used of it. Really its kinda pointless. 

Add the rep count above or below your post count on a post.  Although I can understand if that was left out for a reason. Just if your gonna have a rep count you might as well display it on the posts. 

Make the edit title easier to find. I know most of us do know how to do it but its really unclear at first. Having to go into full editor doesn't really make sense. Should just be an extra button in the edit page.

Have a button for the recent topics of use the text of recent topic to go to a page with a longer list of the recent topics. Right now during offseason its not that big of a deal but people can easily miss a important thread just because it happened 6 threads ago and not 5. 

And I have brought this up before but I still think it should happen is a poster should have a certain post count before they can post a thread. I really think this would help this forum a ton. Would defiantly lower the number of MJ vs Kobe vs lebron threads and useless threads that get locked after 15 mins. I think the best thing for newbies is they should have to post, see reactions to post, and then understand how things work here. A post doesn't really ruin you here most of the time as well where as making a thread everyone will see and right off the bat people will always criticize you for what they did as a new poster. Also it would decrease trolls. When people realize they need to put up a 100 or 200 posts before they can make a thread it will deter them from staying here to troll. 

I really think that would increase the community size by not scaring away a new user from one bad thread and in a way give new users a sort of tutorial into the forum. 

#11 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,089 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 11:48 AM

The "Mark Community Read" doesn't always work properly. Other than that, everything about the forum is fine with me, even the mobile version (and I don't use Tapatalk).

#12 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,031 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 02:28 PM

Add the rep count above or below your post count on a post.  Although I can understand if that was left out for a reason. Just if your gonna have a rep count you might as well display it on the posts.

http://community.inv...n-in-user-info/

wKNsigp.png

#13 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 02:57 PM

TWIITER FEED LIKE THIS

http://www.pelicansr...9fe97f3aec9e5ae

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 03:29 PM

Good feedback so far.  Please keep the suggestions coming!

• 40,556 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 05:12 PM

I know we don't allow autoplay videos for posts anymore and haven't for quite some time, that's fine and I agree with that, but is there a way or is it possible to allow for autoplay videos in one's profile? I remember a lot of people used to do this back in the day. It was pretty cool going into someone's profile and right away hearing a song playing like as an intro or something into the rest of their profile. It seems like a minor thing that shouldn't be too hard to implement, but perhaps if it were then maybe there's no way to disable that function in regular posting? I'm not sure, but if there is, please consider it. It made profiles more livelier too & exciting in a way.

Also more into the profiles, is there a way to have the profile feed together with the about me section in the main home page of the profile like it sorta used to be before? I notice that just with this little subtle difference, people back then used to post on each other's profiles a lot more and there'd just be so much more socializing within the community overall. I'm sure there were or are some other factors as well, but I strongly believe ever since we made that change to the profiles that had some to do with people posting comments less & interracting. The way it is now just sorta seems more hidden & easy to be overlooked. I miss that people used to talk to each other more in that sense. You'd basically be moving/merging the "Profile Feed" section into the main home page section which is titled "Overview".

yo.

#16 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,234 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted September 01, 2013 - 05:45 PM

The ability to tag someone in your replies would be nice as well

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#17 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,031 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 06:13 PM

The ability to tag someone in your replies would be nice as well

http://community.inv.../6253-mentions/

wKNsigp.png

#18 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,031 posts

Posted September 01, 2013 - 06:18 PM

I know we don't allow autoplay videos for posts anymore and haven't for quite some time, that's fine and I agree with that, but is there a way or is it possible to allow for autoplay videos in one's profile? I remember a lot of people used to do this back in the day. It was pretty cool going into someone's profile and right away hearing a song playing like as an intro or something into the rest of their profile. It seems like a minor thing that shouldn't be too hard to implement, but perhaps if it were then maybe there's no way to disable that function in regular posting? I'm not sure, but if there is, please consider it. It made profiles more livelier too & exciting in a way.

http://community.inv...eos-in-profile/

Edited by -Wade-, September 01, 2013 - 06:20 PM.

wKNsigp.png

#19 Kam

Kam

Basketball Immortality

• 2,455 posts
  • Name:Kam Pashai
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted September 03, 2013 - 11:47 AM

Embed tweets like this:

http://www.spurstalk...l=1#post6759755

Spoiler tags like this:

http://www.neogaf.co...postcount=13706

I like these two options. A little surprised tweet embeding doesn't already work using the code tags.

#20 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted September 03, 2013 - 01:15 PM

I like these two options. A little surprised tweet embeding doesn't already work using the code tags.

Special appearance by Kam, solid 

:cool2:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users