26 replies to this topic

#1 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,790 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 30, 2013 - 02:43 AM

Next season we’re hoping to get either LBJ or Melo – with the latter being the most realistic.

But what if he stays in NY then what do we do? Do we throw a max after either Greg Monroe or Demarcus Cousins or do we wait a year for Drummond or Kevin Love or what?

IMO, the building process going forward should always be a 2-3yr plan. It doesn’t make sense to throw a max at Melo if we can’t put the right pieces around him going forward. Then we’ll just be the westcoast version of the Knicks. At the same time, with the elite players being few and far between, we might be forced to pull the trigger on less-than-ideal building blocks.

Without Melo or LBJ we could potentially keep both Pau and Kobe on 1yr deals and still have enough cap room to sign a couple of wing defenders, like Avery Bradley and Luol Deng , as well as a defensive big, like Anderson Varejao or Emeka Okafor. That would keep us competitive in 2014-15 and still give us the chance to make a run at a max deal in 2015 – like Drummond or Love - when Nash, Kobe and Pau are FAs.

#2 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,212 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 03:15 AM

We are gonna party all year

#3 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,472 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 30, 2013 - 04:38 AM

Where are you getting Drummond from?  He's only in his 2nd year and won't come off of his rookie contract until after 16-17.  Unless Detroit feels that he isn't worth reupping then the idea of getting him for any price is out of the question.  Actually go ahead and throw any guy thats coming off a rookie deal or thats a restricted free agent out of the Lakers grasp. 

Monroe may be the only possibility but he is far from a max player.  We pay him the max we can ensure some mediocrity for his tenure.  He's a big that can give you 15/10 but is probably one of the worst defensive bigs in the game.  Think Al Jefferson 2.0. 

I think we have a good chance at Love ONLY if we can put something with him immediately.  Like say a Rondo or make a trade for another all star player.  If we can't I doubt he leaves Minny who seems to be getting things together to at least be somewhat competitive to come to LA only to be in a total rebuild situation all over again.  He'd be better off pushing for a trade elsewhere like say the Bulls. 

In the end, all signs point to LA is going to have to rebuild the slow and efficient way.  Take back a bad contract or 2, get some picks out the deals (a la Jefferson/Beidrins for 2 future 1st rd picks), take on young talented but on the bubble guys like say: Derrick Williams, Thomas Robinson, Wes Johnson and see who sticks and breaks out and then hire an all new coaching staff and scout team that can build for the long term.  LA needs a new culture.  This will be the first time in 20 years they havent had a top 2-3 player in the NBA.  As soon as the front office starts to make logical decisions when dealing with having a 35 yr old star the shorter the pain period will be.

Next season we’re hoping to get either LBJ or Melo – with the latter being the most realistic.

But what if he stays in NY then what do we do? Do we throw a max after either Greg Monroe or Demarcus Cousins or do we wait a year for Drummond or Kevin Love or what?

IMO, the building process going forward should always be a 2-3yr plan. It doesn’t make sense to throw a max at Melo if we can’t put the right pieces around him going forward. Then we’ll just be the westcoast version of the Knicks. At the same time, with the elite players being few and far between, we might be forced to pull the trigger on less-than-ideal building blocks.

Without Melo or LBJ we could potentially keep both Pau and Kobe on 1yr deals and still have enough cap room to sign a couple of wing defenders, like Avery Bradley and Luol Deng , as well as a defensive big, like Anderson Varejao or Emeka Okafor. That would keep us competitive in 2014-15 and still give us the chance to make a run at a max deal in 2015 – like Drummond or Love - when Nash, Kobe and Pau are FAs.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#4 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,790 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 05:20 AM

You're right, Drummond is a team option in 2015 and not a restricted FA. My bad.

Monroe is an option, though I agree with you that he's hardly worth a max. Love, I think is the guy we should go after, but if we sign Melo to a max we'll have to surround him with role-players, and then we may not be able to get Kevin Love.

That being said, I don't think we'll have to go through a slow rebuilding process and if we did I think it would be a bad way for Kobe to end his final years in the league. I really think the Lakers will be contending within a year or two. It is still a prime destination, we have a lot of cap space and I think guys like Kobe and Pau have plenty left in the tank and are willing to take less, to stay in LA.

#5 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,472 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Talking about having Kobe and Pau on this team to compete in 2 years does not sound good at all man.  Of course LA is an attractive destination but all of that is contingent on actual guys being available.  You win with elite guys.  Pau isnt that of course and Kobe at what will be 36 isn't young enough to shoulder that type of load.  We at the crossroads where the younger guys are just better due to be able to shoulder a major load for their team and just downright outplay Kobe and Pau.  Melo is a poor foundation.  Regardless of what some guys think he's surrounded by some of the best role players salaries can buy in the NBA and LA probably couldn't put a better team that fit him around him than they could.  The problem lies with Melo.  He isn't a guy you bring and build around unless you want to go out in the 2nd round.  Tyson Chandler, Shump, JR Smith are good pieces, 2 of them being some of the better defensive players in the NBA. 

You are thinking more about Kobe's #6 vs the Lakers future and possible #17...

You're right, Drummond is a team option in 2015 and not a restricted FA. My bad.

Monroe is an option, though I agree with you that he's hardly worth a max. Love, I think is the guy we should go after, but if we sign Melo to a max we'll have to surround him with role-players, and then we may not be able to get Kevin Love.

That being said, I don't think we'll have to go through a slow rebuilding process and if we did I think it would be a bad way for Kobe to end his final years in the league. I really think the Lakers will be contending within a year or two. It is still a prime destination, we have a lot of cap space and I think guys like Kobe and Pau have plenty left in the tank and are willing to take less, to stay in LA.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#6 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 30, 2013 - 10:40 AM

A few terrible years, rebuild, hopefully draft a star in that time, and come back to prominence in 5-6 years. Unless we land a star player in next summer's free agency, we're going to be a really bad team in the near future.

#7 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,045 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:42 AM

Would it be that bad if we didn't win another championship in this decade? So many people are very adamant about how we have to make certain moves within the next two years if not it would spell doom for the franchise.

Obviously as a fan I want the Lakers to be a top tier team always in the championship hunt, but maybe I am too lax or what but I don't have a problem if the organization is conservative for a few years and then implements whatever it think is best. Only problem is Kobe's chase for 6.

#8 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,293 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:44 AM

Kevin Love and Paul George...just kidding.

Don't need to dwell on this stuff too much, hopefully this upcoming season will make more guys want to come and play in LA.

EyMlHkX.jpg

#9 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,715 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted August 30, 2013 - 08:57 PM

put some guys that can mesh, give me guys that can put up some solid numbers and that comes to play with a healthy Bryant.. and i'm confident we at least have a shot in hell to win a 'chip. Every time.

ap1.png

#10 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,790 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 10:54 PM

Talking about having Kobe and Pau on this team to compete in 2 years does not sound good at all man.  Of course LA is an attractive destination but all of that is contingent on actual guys being available.  You win with elite guys.  Pau isnt that of course and Kobe at what will be 36 isn't young enough to shoulder that type of load.  We at the crossroads where the younger guys are just better due to be able to shoulder a major load for their team and just downright outplay Kobe and Pau.  Melo is a poor foundation.  Regardless of what some guys think he's surrounded by some of the best role players salaries can buy in the NBA and LA probably couldn't put a better team that fit him around him than they could.  The problem lies with Melo.  He isn't a guy you bring and build around unless you want to go out in the 2nd round.  Tyson Chandler, Shump, JR Smith are good pieces, 2 of them being some of the better defensive players in the NBA. 

You are thinking more about Kobe's #6 vs the Lakers future and possible #17...

Look at a team like the Spurs. Tim Duncan is 36 and they went to game 7 in the finals. Kobe and Pau, with the right crew, can compete for the remaining few years of Kobe's career, imo. Obviously, all depends on how Kobe looks next season, but i wouldn't bet against him. 

Regarding Melo - as i've said before - with the right crew and in the right system, he can be successfull. In NY you would think that he had that crew, but other than Tyson Chandler, who's an awesome team player he doesn't really have the right guys around him. JR Smith cant defend and is inefficient, Stoudemire is old as hell, Shumpert can defend, but not much more. Then there's Raymond Felton, Jason Kidd and Novak, who all have seen better days.

You put Melo next to Kobe and Pau in a triangle system and surround them with perimeter defenders, who can shoot, and a defensive presence in the middle, and you've got a team that could compete. 

Regarding Kobe's #6 or Lakers' #17: Kobe's window is closing and everything should be done to compete NOW when he is still here. The Lakers will be fine going forward and like the Knicks, Nets and Heat, it's not necessary to build slowly via the draft. 

#11 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,472 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 07:55 PM

You are totally off base comparing a team like the Spurs vs the Lakers.  The Spurs first off have the best coach in bball period.  They have a system that excels with niche pieces and precision is everything.  The Spurs don't require Duncan, Manu and TP to be elite stars to win.  The Lakers needed Kobe to play in overdrive this past season just to get the 7th seed. 

You can't keep talking about building systems when guys like Kobe are 35 years of age.  It takes time to implement those type of cultures and get the right pieces.  Kobe and Pau dont have TIME and are too old to try to figure out a new way to win.  This is probably the main reason why not hiring Shaw was a horrible thing for them. 

The Nets have a foundation for a team and won't require KG and Pierce to be stars.  They are a too overloaded with quality players unlike the Lakers.  The Heat have Lebron, no point in talking about them and they took 2 years to win, and the Knicks have their foundation based on Melo and we see what that has brought them.  Losses to much better balanced teams. 

Look at a team like the Spurs. Tim Duncan is 36 and they went to game 7 in the finals. Kobe and Pau, with the right crew, can compete for the remaining few years of Kobe's career, imo. Obviously, all depends on how Kobe looks next season, but i wouldn't bet against him. 

Regarding Melo - as i've said before - with the right crew and in the right system, he can be successfull. In NY you would think that he had that crew, but other than Tyson Chandler, who's an awesome team player he doesn't really have the right guys around him. JR Smith cant defend and is inefficient, Stoudemire is old as hell, Shumpert can defend, but not much more. Then there's Raymond Felton, Jason Kidd and Novak, who all have seen better days.

You put Melo next to Kobe and Pau in a triangle system and surround them with perimeter defenders, who can shoot, and a defensive presence in the middle, and you've got a team that could compete. 

Regarding Kobe's #6 or Lakers' #17: Kobe's window is closing and everything should be done to compete NOW when he is still here. The Lakers will be fine going forward and like the Knicks, Nets and Heat, it's not necessary to build slowly via the draft. 

#12 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 31, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Spurs lost too

Just wanna throw that in there cause it pleases me.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#13 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted October 15, 2013 - 02:50 AM

Rudy Gay

#14 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 02:52 AM

The best coach in the league lost game 6 by keeping Duncan on the bench

You are totally off base comparing a team like the Spurs vs the Lakers.  The Spurs first off have the best coach in bball period.  They have a system that excels with niche pieces and precision is everything.  The Spurs don't require Duncan, Manu and TP to be elite stars to win.  The Lakers needed Kobe to play in overdrive this past season just to get the 7th seed. 

You can't keep talking about building systems when guys like Kobe are 35 years of age.  It takes time to implement those type of cultures and get the right pieces.  Kobe and Pau dont have TIME and are too old to try to figure out a new way to win.  This is probably the main reason why not hiring Shaw was a horrible thing for them. 

The Nets have a foundation for a team and won't require KG and Pierce to be stars.  They are a too overloaded with quality players unlike the Lakers.  The Heat have Lebron, no point in talking about them and they took 2 years to win, and the Knicks have their foundation based on Melo and we see what that has brought them.  Losses to much better balanced teams. 

#15 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 923 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted October 15, 2013 - 03:06 PM

Try to get a bunch of impact players.

If that fails, purse Love/Rondo/Gasol in 2015.

Then, if that fails, rebuild the old fashion way. (We'd have a 2016 first)

There may be a new lockout/CBA in 2017, way way too ahead to start thinking about though.

#16 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 02:58 AM

Try to get a bunch of impact players.

If that fails, purse Love/Rondo/Gasol in 2015.

Then, if that fails, rebuild the old fashion way. (We'd have a 2016 first)

There may be a new lockout/CBA in 2017, way way too ahead to start thinking about though.

We need to be looking at Lionel Hollins. Truth is Love, Rondo and Gasol is definately no major big three. Nice but not a trio I would invest 45 to 60 million dollars in. Hopefully someone like Durant will become disgruntled soon

#17 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,790 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 03:31 AM

We need to be looking at Lionel Hollins. Truth is Love, Rondo and Gasol is definately no major big three. Nice but not a trio I would invest 45 to 60 million dollars in. Hopefully someone like Durant will become disgruntled soon

I disagree. Rondo is an elite two-way PG when healthy and one of the few guys with a Kobe-like mindset. Love is the best PF in the game, when healthy. Those two, along with Kobe and a strong wing defender who can shoot 3s and Pau at reduced price could be pretty good.

#18 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,472 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 05:05 AM

You do realize in 2015 Kobe will 37 years old.  If healthy I think this year and a 2014 run should be his last and probably will.  If nothing pops off in free agency in 2014 I just don't see any reason why Kobe would endure another season without the tools to compete to wait for the 2015 free agency.

I disagree. Rondo is an elite two-way PG when healthy and one of the few guys with a Kobe-like mindset. Love is the best PF in the game, when healthy. Those two, along with Kobe and a strong wing defender who can shoot 3s and Pau at reduced price could be pretty good.

#19 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted October 16, 2013 - 05:10 AM

Rondo would be nice

Love would be nice

Hollins would be even nicer (anyone but MDA)

You gotta get over Pau though. 

Edited by Windu, October 16, 2013 - 05:10 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#20 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,472 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 05:38 AM

I don't want a 35 year old Pau in 2015.  No way. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users