Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,471 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 24, 2013 - 11:21 PM

130823_harris_670x377.jpg

130823_harris_02_250x350.jpg

On August 14, the Lakers signed rookie forward Elias Harris, having been impressed enough with Harris' play at workouts -- and in particular at the Las Vegas Summer League -- to offer a multi-year deal that includes a team option for the 2014-15.

A two-time All-West Coast Conference Team player at Gonzaga University, Harris was a key cog in the Bulldogs 32-3 record during his final season. He put up 14.6 points, 7.4 rebounds and 1.2 steals in 27.8 minutes per game. The German native ranks second in school history with his 979 career rebounds, an impressive feat for a player often on the wing, and his 1,857 points rank fourth in Zags history.

We spoke to Lakers player development coach Mark Madsen, who alone with the rest of Mike D'Antoni's staff has been working out with Harris almost daily, to see how the rookie's coming along:

MT: What has stood out to you about Harris in your several weeks of watching and working with him?
Madsen: Elias had a great summer league. His versatility is the thing you notice right away, because he can play the two, the three or the four. He came in with a pretty developed perimeter game conducive to the NBA, and is working on adding more and more. We see Elias almost every day, and he's taking all the nuances of what (assistant coach) Dan D'Antoni is teaching him, focusing on making his shot a more balanced and consistent shot. His driving game is something he's spending a lot of time with (player development coach) Larry Lewis on, taking all the materials Larry's giving him and implementing them into his game.

MT: What kind of a kid is he?
Madsen: A really good kid. He's fun to be around in the gym, and makes it enjoyable coming in every day. The good thing about Elias is he's a really hard worker – not just on the court but in the weight room, with his diet, and doing every last thing the organization has asked. His improvements have been great. I think Elias has worked for everything he's received. I remember back to my rookie transition camp and Paul Silas said hard work doesn't guarantee anything, but it gives you a chance.

MT: What's his best position?
Madsen: I think right now his best position is the three. To guard twos at the NBA level, there's still a learning curve there, but he does have the capacity to do it. That process just isn't going to happen overnight. You have to win the trust of the officials and familiarize yourself with the NBA.

Read More Here: http://www.nba.com/l...s/130824_harris

That's good news to hear, glad to know he's been in the Lakers facility nearly every day and is working hard on different aspects of his game.   

Hope he does well, Lakers obviously see something special in him if they signed him to a multi-year.

I think those years on the National team gave him the kind of experience a "rookie" usually wouldn't have which is a reason why his game looked more "well rounded" and less erratic then most. 

Edited by Majesty, August 24, 2013 - 11:24 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,214 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted August 24, 2013 - 11:27 PM

Idc if a basketball player is in the gym and working hard, that's his job, that's why he gets paid the big bucks. He has to be in the gym, it's not a choice, there's always another guy coming after his job. He's the 12th guy on the roster, I would expect him to be in the gym and working to get better everyday.

#3 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 11:34 PM

Idc if a basketball player is in the gym and working hard, that's his job, that's why he gets paid the big bucks. He has to be in the gym, it's not a choice, there's always another guy coming after his job. He's the 12th guy on the roster, I would expect him to be in the gym and working to get better everyday.

problem is some people don't get that and feel entitled.

Like a certain small forward we had last year that thought one good game in the pre-season entitled him to play big minutes and when it didn't happen he stopped showing up, worked on his rap career and never worked in the gym =P   So I'm glad he's working hard regardless.  We as Lakers fans have seen worse rookies that don't even have international pedigree.  So I won't knock him for working on his game.  He's supposed to.  But as you I'm sure have seen we've had some that don't and they wind up being a waste of time, space and money.

#4 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,523 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 12:35 AM

I say again; make manaro proud.

Für Deutschland!

MMiRi9s.png

#5 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,371 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted August 25, 2013 - 01:25 AM

I say again; make manaro proud.

Für Deutschland!

This Kid will RISE! Just wait and let the results show off :)

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#6 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,393 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted August 25, 2013 - 04:10 AM

I'm a little concerned with someone who feels "oh well if I don't make it in the NBA I can just trot off to Europe and play there" I would have loved to see more defense in his highlights. It also didn't help to have Sacre vouching for you. How high was that bar set??!!  LOL  He looks like he could have the potential to be a mean nasty defensive guy if he puts the work in. I love the way he doesn't mind contact

#7 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 04:28 AM

Madsen sees him as a mean defensive guy too. He does have explosiveness and can finish on breaks and rarely plays out of control. I think the Lakers saw a solid foundation that they want to brip to NBA speed and considering he was on the national team he won't be as “inexperienced" as other rookies may be.

#8 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,823 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted August 25, 2013 - 06:25 AM

Love to see these kind of signings, given where we are right now.  Maybe he works out, maybe not, but I'd rather go this way than sign more journeymen types.

#9 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 867 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Trival, but I think this is the 4th Gonzaga player we've had sinde 2007,

#10 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,160 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted August 25, 2013 - 10:41 AM

I can only tell once I see him on the court in meaningful mins. Until then all hype speculation.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#11 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,412 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 25, 2013 - 05:43 PM

Madsen sees Elias Harris as a "defensive stopper." I hope that is truly the case.

#12 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 472 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted August 25, 2013 - 07:17 PM

Lol. Well the source is from the Lakers website so I doubt they would put "Harris not improving". lol.

I read something similar last year about jeremy lamb and looked what happened. Lol. People are just bored and have nothing else to do. I'll be surprise if this guy can even average 7 mins a game.  Unless we get blown out every game then of course 7 mins is possible. lol

I bet if I go to the Miami Heat forum i'll see some news saying "Greg Oden looks healthy and ready". 

Edited by BlueJab23, August 25, 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#13 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:16 PM

Lol. Well the source is from the Lakers website so I doubt they would put "Harris not improving". lol.

I read something similar last year about jeremy lamb and looked what happened. Lol. People are just bored and have nothing else to do. I'll be surprise if this guy can even average 7 mins a game.  Unless we get blown out every game then of course 7 mins is possible. lol

I bet if I go to the Miami Heat forum i'll see some news saying "Greg Oden looks healthy and ready". 

or maybe he's actually progressing

Edited by Majesty, August 25, 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#14 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 472 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted August 25, 2013 - 09:59 PM

or maybe he's actually progressing

Yeah maybe. I'll go talk trash to his instagram and motivate him since our team is so motivated already at this point. 

Good thing no other team in NBA are motivated. They all just wanna relax and play basketball for fun.

Edited by BlueJab23, August 25, 2013 - 09:59 PM.

#15 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 03:17 AM

here's some more college stuff he did. 

But one thing I did notice when I watched him before aside from his post game is that sometimes he just explodes out of nowhere and its a wtfreak moment sometimes cause it literally comes out of nowhere and he just explodes up.

But one thing I notice is that he plays his game under control, and is the type of player much easier to get up to NBA speed because playing "out of control" isn't his problem, it's just getting what he does up to NBA speed cause he's already polished a bit and the international experience is a reason for that.

He also may be 6'8 but he's also near 240 pounds so that's why he bangs underneath so effectively at the 4 in college, but in the NBA he will likely be used as a 3 in that scenario though I could see him at the 4 in some cases at least till Kelly returns. If we snag Beasley he definitely becomes a 3 and Beasley is slided to the 4 likely till Kelly returns then Beasley would go back to 3.  But we don't have Beasley yet so as of right now our 3 4 with our bench is Harris/Kelly

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users