55 replies to this topic

#41 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,739 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 10, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Ummm how much do you think Gasol is worth? Considering that YOU still think he can be a 2nd option on a championship team.  You sing his praises all up and down this board but think he can't land a 10M a year deal? He's a big man, look that going rate for avg to above avg big men in the NBA and then tell me Gasol can't get 10M a year. 

Do you really think we'd give Gasol a 10 million dollar contract?

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#42 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,474 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted September 13, 2013 - 04:53 AM

Amir Elhassan of ESPN wrote an article on the top FAs next year and he had Pau's worth at 3yr/40Million or in that ballpark.

I don't know if I would pay that, but I bet some teams will. I think 10M/yr is more reasonable for a veteran big man with his skillset - especially considering what big men are paid these days.

I'm hoping they manage to lock up Kobe and Pau on short-ish deals worth a combined 20M. If they then trade Nash or stretch him, there should be around 30 million in cap space.

#43 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,739 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 11:29 AM

Look at the big men in the NBA and the benchmark salary for the average big man.  Pau easily is worth 3yrs/40M.  Not smart for the Lakers to pay that but he'd easily be worth that and his agent could play hard ball for his.  Gotta remember in the player's mind they feel they are still the guy that can be the key.  We may feel like Pau can't be our 2nd best guy but Pau may not feel this way.  2014 FA is going to be very interesting in how Kobe and Pau approaches their salaries. 

Amir Elhassan of ESPN wrote an article on the top FAs next year and he had Pau's worth at 3yr/40Million or in that ballpark.

I don't know if I would pay that, but I bet some teams will. I think 10M/yr is more reasonable for a veteran big man with his skillset - especially considering what big men are paid these days.

I'm hoping they manage to lock up Kobe and Pau on short-ish deals worth a combined 20M. If they then trade Nash or stretch him, there should be around 30 million in cap space.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#44 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,166 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted September 13, 2013 - 08:30 PM

tumblr_mt3abgkP4n1qzb7vjo1_500.jpg

Just kidding, I know it says realistic. :(

EyMlHkX.jpg

#45 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 863 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted September 26, 2013 - 04:41 AM

Like it a lot honestly sans maybe Lowry. Maybe wait till 2015 to get a good PG?

And who is the coach of your 2014 plan? It better not be MDA.

#46 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,739 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 05:55 AM

Coaches are too hard to speculate about.  Name one coach on the market that is as good as MDA outside of maybe George Karl that you know of.  Dont say any coach just b/c you hate the guy.  What guy has been more successful? Created a team that has done wonders.  At least MDA has a decent resume.

Like it a lot honestly sans maybe Lowry. Maybe wait till 2015 to get a good PG?

And who is the coach of your 2014 plan? It better not be MDA.

#47 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted September 26, 2013 - 06:17 AM

Coaches are too hard to speculate about.  Name one coach on the market that is as good as MDA outside of maybe George Karl that you know of.  Dont say any coach just b/c you hate the guy.  What guy has been more successful? Created a team that has done wonders.  At least MDA has a decent resume.

Apparently the decisions aren't based on who's the better coach...else-wise Buss would have chose PJ over MDA. Shouldn't be too hard though. Show me a list of available coaches.

Whatever plan you may have isn't realistic when MDA is your head coach. 

You don't have to look far...

Our own assistant coach, Kurt Rambis, is better than MDA. I'd rather go with a coach who hasn't many opportunities as a head coach than with one who loses all the damn time.

What about one of the Gundy's? Grab em

Probably could have went and grabbed some relatively unknown guy. 

Bottom line is that MDA has failed failed failed failed failed and if he's still our coach in 2014 and beyond, then this franchise will continue to fail as well. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#48 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,739 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 08:21 AM

I'd love for you to explain how Rambis is better.  Seeing that the Twolves were extremely horrible in his tenure despite some decent talent. 

Apparently the decisions aren't based on who's the better coach...else-wise Buss would have chose PJ over MDA. Shouldn't be too hard though. Show me a list of available coaches.

Whatever plan you may have isn't realistic when MDA is your head coach. 

You don't have to look far...

Our own assistant coach, Kurt Rambis, is better than MDA. I'd rather go with a coach who hasn't many opportunities as a head coach than with one who loses all the damn time.

What about one of the Gundy's? Grab em

Probably could have went and grabbed some relatively unknown guy. 

Bottom line is that MDA has failed failed failed failed failed and if he's still our coach in 2014 and beyond, then this franchise will continue to fail as well. 

#49 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 10:41 AM

I'd love for you to explain how Rambis is better.  Seeing that the Twolves were extremely horrible in his tenure despite some decent talent. 

lol

You give MDA Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol (only listed because some of you think he's good), Ron Artest, Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, and etc...

WHAT DOES HE HAVE TO SHOW FOR IT???

Rambis was a head coach for two years...TWO YEARS. MDA has been losing since 1998. Don't get me started on his playoff results

Pau Gasol is GONE

#50 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 863 posts

Posted September 26, 2013 - 01:23 PM

Lionel Hollins.

#51 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,739 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 08:43 AM

How is Lionel Hollins a better coach? What accomplishments does he have over MDA? MDA coached a very good PHX team and lost to the Spurs against arguably the best coach in the game.

Lionel Hollins.

Edited by Jody Smokes, September 27, 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#52 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,132 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 27, 2013 - 11:15 AM

I'm ready to give MDA the benefit of the doubt. Honestly, great 2nd half of season w kobe playing out of his mind then injuries to 2/3 of the team at playoff time.

Would love the team to commit to defense this season and be competitive for 48 minutes a game and not get caught having to come back from too many double digit deficits in 2nd halves of games

Byron Scott is out there too

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#53 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 863 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 01:12 PM

How is Lionel Hollins a better coach? What accomplishments does he have over MDA? MDA coached a very good PHX team and lost to the Spurs against arguably the best coach in the game.

He coached Memphis to the WCF and lost to the Spurs against arguably the best coach in the game. And he upset the top seeded Spurs a couple years back. 

MDA is a proven loser. He got fired in Denver after one season, then got PHX close to the finals for a year or so, but then began to slip and he quit before he could get fired. In NY, he could not get his teams anywhere beyond the first round, and were in the lottery for a few seasons. 

#54 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 01:39 PM

MDA is a proven loser. 

This fact falls on deaf ears

Pau Gasol is GONE

#55 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,132 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 28, 2013 - 07:14 AM

Getting a great coach and picking a great coach aren't the same thing. Tibs from bulls comes to mind as i think the best asst to become a coach in maybe the last 20 years. Gutsy hire by the Bulls.

Pat Riley (legend to be sure) was just a color guy on laker broadcasts before he was plucked to coach. In a news conference that had to be seen to be believed (as Jerry West in front of media contradicted what Jerry Buss said moments earlier about West also coaching team)

Can't imagine Laker fans in general would be thrilled with a similar move these days. New coach. Little to no track record.

Longtime fans can remember a string of failed laker coaches in the Buss era

Rudy T

Magic

Rambis

Randy Pfund

Frank Hamblen

Dunleavy (finals appearance though).

Still giving MDA a chance before i pile on.

My preferences would then be

1. Karl

2. Jerry Sloan

3. Byron Scott

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#56 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 863 posts

Posted September 28, 2013 - 09:53 AM

Mines are:

Not sure the first 2 were except if asked though

1.PJ (any doubt really?)

2.Jerry Sloan (very good coach)

3.Lionel Hollins (got Memphis out of the trash can, good defensive coach)

4.George Karl (good coach, not most suited for the team in this situation above)

4.Kurt Rambis (decent coach, better defensively than MDA)

5.MDA

Also of note: Viin Del Negro, and Bryon Scott.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users