#1 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,740 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 24, 2013 - 03:40 PM

Lebron is not an option. 

If the Lakers want to go the route of possibly competing with vet talent immediately the best route to me would be to of course resign Kobe at an affordable rate.  2yr 24M. 

Kyle Lowry 3yr 25M

Kobe 2yr 24M

Ariza (not sure of his market value, but shouldnt be very high) 1 or 2 yrs at 3M maybe

Melo (4yr 96M)

Bogut (3yr 30M)

Full MLE on productive player

Nick Young

2014 pick player salary

Not the ideal team IMO but this is something I could see them doing that is WCF at best and 1st round exit at worst

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#2 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,740 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 03:45 PM

The other less popular LN view is to completely rebuild.  Use the cap room to take back bad contracts to get future draft picks and possibly young talent that may need a change of scenery (Derrick Williams, Terrence Ross), hire a good scout team that can seek out worthy talent in the draft, and find a new coach and let him build long term (ala Boston with Stevens). 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#3 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,523 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 24, 2013 - 04:25 PM

Kyle Lowry 3 years for 25 and Bogut 3 years for 30 is  :turrible:

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#4 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,740 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 04:36 PM

In comparison to who? Thats the market for a PG of his caliber.  Healthy he's a 15/8/5 player and 37 from 3.  Bogut's contract doesnt have to be fully guaranteed but he's a 28 yr old big man.  You are going to pay 10M a year for him. 

Kyle Lowry 3 years for 25 and Bogut 3 years for 30 is  :turrible:

#5 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,138 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 05:15 PM

Lebron is not an option. 

If the Lakers want to go the route of possibly competing with vet talent immediately the best route to me would be to of course resign Kobe at an affordable rate.  2yr 24M. 

Kyle Lowry 3yr 25M

Kobe 2yr 24M

Ariza (not sure of his market value, but shouldnt be very high) 1 or 2 yrs at 3M maybe

Melo (4yr 96M)

Bogut (3yr 30M)

Full MLE on productive player

Nick Young

2014 pick player salary

Not the ideal team IMO but this is something I could see them doing that is WCF at best and 1st round exit at worst

The one thing everyone should learn right now about this league is that anything can happen. I am not saying he is coming here, but who knows?

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#6 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,740 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 05:39 PM

To keep the thread from being loaded with pipedreams we should exclude him from the convo.  We wouldnt flirt with the possibility of Kobe leaving so why would we consider Lebron leaving after winning 2 rings? Considering this is a rebuilding situation at hand.

#7 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,247 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted August 24, 2013 - 07:05 PM

if ariza and bogut can play defense..and kobe can still play at a high level and mesh with melo.. that could be a title contender

ap1.png

#8 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 24, 2013 - 10:48 PM

I don't like that lineup and I don't know who's the coach. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#9 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,740 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 12:15 PM

Pretty much my line of thinking.  Not my ideal team but this is something realistic they could put together.  Bogut allows Melo to play the 4 and cover for him defensively if he's healthy, Ariza can play wing D and Lowry is pretty much an upgrade at the PG position. 

if ariza and bogut can play defense..and kobe can still play at a high level and mesh with melo.. that could be a title contender

#10 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,779 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted August 27, 2013 - 12:53 PM

The thought of constructing a team around Carmelo is so unappealing to me.

#11 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,474 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 28, 2013 - 03:45 AM

Melo just needs the right crew on his team and Jody Smokes’ ideas aren’t too bad.  

Ariza, we can probably get cheap, but i'd prefer to get a guy like Luol Deng.

Kyle Lowry is a good choice as a PG and with a bit of luck we can pull of a deal for this guy during the season (Nash and Meeks?).

Bogut, I’m not too sure about. He’s an amazing defender, but he’s extremely injury-prone and I don’t think GS are letting him go.

Other guys I think we should go after are Avery Bradley, Elton Brand, Anderson Varejao, Gustavo Ayon, Ekpe Udoh and I’d probably even throw a large deal after Demarcus Cousins.

Oh, i'd try to keep Gasol as well. Gasol and Kobe for a combined 17 million - that's good value.

Gasol-Melo-Deng-Kobe-Bradley, with Ariza, Nick Young, Jordan Hill and ??? off the bench. ??

#12 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,740 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 11:01 AM

I totally agree and Im from the group that thinks Melo not even an elite player.  This is really just some thoughts of a realistic plan they could utilize to stay competitive.  Personally I think they should go full rebuild since I think the Kobe/Pau combo has expired. 

The thought of constructing a team around Carmelo is so unappealing to me.

#13 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,474 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:18 PM

I totally agree and Im from the group that thinks Melo not even an elite player.  This is really just some thoughts of a realistic plan they could utilize to stay competitive.  Personally I think they should go full rebuild since I think the Kobe/Pau combo has expired. 

Perhaps, but then they should have used the amnesty on Kobe and traded Pau.

I think the organisation owes it to Kobe and Pau to try to make another run, but i somewhat agree with you on Melo. I do think he's elite, but for him to have success, he needs handfull of the right kind of roleplayers around him.

Kobe-Melo-Pau, running the triangle, surrounded by defender-shooters could be succesfull.

#14 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,740 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 04:52 AM

I don't think they owe Kobe and Pau anything to be honest.  They have had the last 3 seasons for a run. Melo isn't elite except maybe for scoring but he is avg to poor in every other category of basketball.  Problem with setting your foundation under Pau, Melo and Kobe is that you leave 2 positions on the floor that probably will have the least amount of impact on defense.  The 1 and the 3.  PG's dont really need or can be defensive stoppers, if Pau and Melo are our 5 and 4 imagine how much teams are going to destroy us in pick and roll.  We'd be great offensively but we could never defeat teams that execute well on the offensive end. 

I love Kobe and appreciate Pau's contributions in 08-10 but its time to the hard stance and let them go IMO.  Pau should have been gone.  Good luck getting any value for him now.  There comes a time when other younger guys just become better and fans just can't seem to accept that. 

Perhaps, but then they should have used the amnesty on Kobe and traded Pau.

I think the organisation owes it to Kobe and Pau to try to make another run, but i somewhat agree with you on Melo. I do think he's elite, but for him to have success, he needs handfull of the right kind of roleplayers around him.

Kobe-Melo-Pau, running the triangle, surrounded by defender-shooters could be succesfull.

#15 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 05:37 AM

No such thing as "letting Kobe go".

Kobe retires a Laker

Pau Gasol is GONE

#16 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,740 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 06:04 AM

I agree when I say letting him go is limiting his role in some way.  Much harder than it sounds but I have a feeling in Kobe's mind he still thinks he's 28 and come be the focal point of a championship team.  If Kobe is our best and most effective player in 2014 and beyond we aren't even going to sniff the Finals again.

No such thing as "letting Kobe go".

Kobe retires a Laker

#17 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 06:11 AM

Letting him go = limiting his role???

Kobe is the focal point of this team but this team is not championship caliber and it never will be with MDA at the helm.

Who else is supposed to be our best player? 

Gasol? lol

Hill? lol

Kaman? lol

Nash? lol

Pau Gasol is GONE

#18 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,740 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 06:55 AM

I guess I'll have to quit being PC about it and spit it bloodraw to kill the confusion, and we can agree to disagree on this.  I personally believe Kobe will never adjust to other guys even though he's older because he has too much of an ego to be an "aging" star.  The type of personality and player he is worked well when he was in his prime and still the best player.  He's a guy that still thinks take over games at will against even the best teams.  With him being 35, he has to make some huge adjustments to this.  I dont blame him for it b/c if you have dominated for years like he has it would be probably hard to come to grips with this also.

Kobe limits the type of team they can rebuild for a number of reasons. 

1) He's hellbent on playing with Pau who should be gone for the obvious reasons

2) He's 35 and thinks he can be elite for 2-3 more years after an achilles rupture? Really?

3) He's probably too good to help the Lakers land any good pick in the 2014 draft going forward, thats if he plays enough games to get us to the playoffs

4) He physically is going to have to be limited in minutes going forward but not sure if he really wants to do that

5) He's stuck in his ways and the best system and coach for him to best succeed is long gone, and the FO is hell bent on keeping the triangle away from LA

6) His legend status is a possible hindrance of other stars coming to LA wanting to get their own shine (see D12)

Now we all can agree that D12 was a chump but he wasn't totally wrong in not wanting to share the spot light with Kobe at this age.  Lakers need a new superstar to compete in the future, the longer we hang on to Kobe the longer we stay mediocre for a few years which in turn further pushes back the ability for this team to start afresh.

A new philosophy possibly.  It's like holding on to a classic car that has done great things and has value but it can't be your A to B car anymore.  At some point you have to put it in the garage and admire it for what it has done for you because it can no longer do what it did in the past for you without draining your ability to upgrade for the future.

Letting him go = limiting his role???

Kobe is the focal point of this team but this team is not championship caliber and it never will be with MDA at the helm.

Who else is supposed to be our best player? 

Gasol? lol

Hill? lol

Kaman? lol

Nash? lol

#19 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 07:40 AM

1. That's a major problem of Kobe's. Dude needs to get over his bromance with Pau Gasol. Either he wants a ring or he wants Pau...he can't have both.

2. We won't know how he plays until he's actually out there. I'm not worried about his age until I actually see a drastic drop in production...which we have NOT seen.

3. Sounds like a tanking dialogue...not gonna entertain it. It's a pathetic mentality

4. Won't know until the season gets here

5. Don't understand what you're trying to say there

6. Kobe Bryant IS a legend. [expletive] you and your shine...this is about championships. Free agents aren't going to want to come here if the front office keeps dropping the ball *cough* Mike Brown *cough* Mike D'Antoni *cough*. Dwight Howard is stupid if he was worried about Kobe; he should have been worried about MDA.

I don't agree with this blasphemous dialogue of yours of having Kobe around = no championships. First and foremost, the Lakers need to start by getting a head coach...NO WE DO NOT HAVE A HEAD COACH RIGHT NOW!!! 

Get a coach, get rid of the scrubs (aka Pau Gasol), and then maybe we could accomplish something. Your focus is all wrong...the LAST thing you should be thinking about is getting rid of Kobe Bryant. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#20 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,740 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 08:27 AM

The wall we keep running into thats the elephant in the room is TIME.  A team based on or with Kobe doesn't have TIME.  It takes time to make a championship team.  Outside of the Boston big 3 which they all 3 had a prime year or 2 left when they joined, hiring a new coach means new philosophy, building chemistry and getting all the right pieces in place to make a true run in 1-2 years while 4-5 of the better NBA teams already have that core foundation in place. 

By the time all this stuff you want can be put in place Kobe will be 36-37 years old.  Sure he's a legend but he's a human being not God.  It's already evident in some spurts that his age is getting the best of him.  Stats excluded Kobe isn't the player he was when during the championship runs.  He isn't that good of defender anymore and the amazing crazy games are usually against poor teams (see Toronto and Portland this year).  In the games where we needed that magic it was few and far between.  The only way we can win with Kobe on the roster is that we have a guy that has a bigger impact on the overall team production wise to add to that.  This is why a healthy D12 was important.  Outside of that you need a collective quality core group but that takes time to build vs having 2 superstars on the same squad. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users