I guess I'll have to quit being PC about it and spit it bloodraw to kill the confusion, and we can agree to disagree on this. I personally believe Kobe will never adjust to other guys even though he's older because he has too much of an ego to be an "aging" star. The type of personality and player he is worked well when he was in his prime and still the best player. He's a guy that still thinks take over games at will against even the best teams. With him being 35, he has to make some huge adjustments to this. I dont blame him for it b/c if you have dominated for years like he has it would be probably hard to come to grips with this also.
Kobe limits the type of team they can rebuild for a number of reasons.
1) He's hellbent on playing with Pau who should be gone for the obvious reasons
2) He's 35 and thinks he can be elite for 2-3 more years after an achilles rupture? Really?
3) He's probably too good to help the Lakers land any good pick in the 2014 draft going forward, thats if he plays enough games to get us to the playoffs
4) He physically is going to have to be limited in minutes going forward but not sure if he really wants to do that
5) He's stuck in his ways and the best system and coach for him to best succeed is long gone, and the FO is hell bent on keeping the triangle away from LA
6) His legend status is a possible hindrance of other stars coming to LA wanting to get their own shine (see D12)
Now we all can agree that D12 was a chump but he wasn't totally wrong in not wanting to share the spot light with Kobe at this age. Lakers need a new superstar to compete in the future, the longer we hang on to Kobe the longer we stay mediocre for a few years which in turn further pushes back the ability for this team to start afresh.
A new philosophy possibly. It's like holding on to a classic car that has done great things and has value but it can't be your A to B car anymore. At some point you have to put it in the garage and admire it for what it has done for you because it can no longer do what it did in the past for you without draining your ability to upgrade for the future.
Letting him go = limiting his role???
Kobe is the focal point of this team but this team is not championship caliber and it never will be with MDA at the helm.
Who else is supposed to be our best player?