Photo

Howard wanted the Lakers to amnesty or "muzzle" Kobe, didn't want to play with him for 2-3 more years

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#21 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,554 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted August 24, 2013 - 12:37 PM

Happy management made the decision to stand behind Kobe. This reflects pretty positively on them, because a) it shows that they were in control; if they wanted Dwight Howard they were going to get him, the ball was in their court. B) it shows a level of respect for their franchise player you would expect from an elite organization. Similar to the Yankees with Jeter. And c) they are smart enough to be patient and plan for the future. They weren't willing to sacrifice one of the greatest players in not only franchise history, but league history for a guy who hasn't shown he can handle the pressures of leading the Lakers. Instead of going all in on the flop, they opted to wait for the river.

#22 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 863 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 24, 2013 - 03:29 PM

Maybe Jim Buss is not that bad after all.

#23 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,427 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted August 24, 2013 - 03:43 PM

Jim Buss doesn't deserve any credit for making the obvious decision. That's ridiculous.

It's like congratulating someone on using the bathroom.
iyjywo.jpg

#24 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 6,993 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted August 24, 2013 - 04:42 PM

Mark my words: Dwight Howard is the new T-WAC

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#25 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,737 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 25, 2013 - 06:26 AM

you know when I think about stuff like this, and then I think about how distraught Jeanie was at losing Dwight and feels like we "failed" him.

It sorta makes me glad she's in charge of marketing.  Because I think she's fantastic, and wonderful and nice... but she may be "too" nice for the other side of things which is why Jim does what he does and is where he is and Jeanie does what she does and is where she is.

Jerry and Jim seem to have the mentality of "if you're with us you're with us if you're against us there's the door, step up or shut up"  and Jeanie has the mentality of "What can I do to make all of this ok?  If you're against us.. why?  I want to fix it so you'll stay." 

And that is such a wonderful character trait to have, but it may not be what you need when dealing with people like Dwight.   I think Jerry knew this. 

I mean could you imagine if Jeanie had to deal with half the turmoil her brother deals with whenever the Lakers didn't win a championship?    Her getting bad responses on twitter effects her.  I think there's a reason Jerry kept her away from having to deal with player ego's like that and why Jim is doing it and may be another reason she wasn't at the meeting to talk to Dwight when 'everything' was aired out and Dwight wanted what he wanted.

Edited by Majesty, August 25, 2013 - 06:29 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#26 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted August 25, 2013 - 07:14 AM

So the guy apparently lays out some ridiculous demands in order to sign with us, that he knew the owner/ FO would not or could not agree to.  Maybe it's his way of justifying leaving?

I hope it works out for him in Houston.  I really do.  He's a nice kid.  But what he doesn't realize is that he is running from his problems.  He had a perfect opportunity to truly learn, for the first time in his career, how to win.  He passed because the someone who can teach him is "too difficult" to deal with?  I don't doubt for a minute that Kobe is not the funnest teammate or team leader.  But he has what Dwight needs, and there are few other places Dwight can go to get it.  

It's possible to be a great player, great teammate, great leader and a true winner (Magic), but there are more Kobes than Magics.  Dwight may figure it out some day that he threw away a great opportunity, or he may figure out how to get there himself.  Not betting on it though.

#27 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,855 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 25, 2013 - 07:59 AM

you know when I think about stuff like this, and then I think about how distraught Jeanie was at losing Dwight and feels like we "failed" him.

It sorta makes me glad she's in charge of marketing. Because I think she's fantastic, and wonderful and nice... but she may be "too" nice for the other side of things which is why Jim does what he does and is where he is and Jeanie does what she does and is where she is.

Jerry and Jim seem to have the mentality of "if you're with us you're with us if you're against us there's the door, step up or shut up" and Jeanie has the mentality of "What can I do to make all of this ok? If you're against us.. why? I want to fix it so you'll stay."

And that is such a wonderful character trait to have, but it may not be what you need when dealing with people like Dwight. I think Jerry knew this.

I mean could you imagine if Jeanie had to deal with half the turmoil her brother deals with whenever the Lakers didn't win a championship? Her getting bad responses on twitter effects her. I think there's a reason Jerry kept her away from having to deal with player ego's like that and why Jim is doing it and may be another reason she wasn't at the meeting to talk to Dwight when 'everything' was aired out and Dwight wanted what he wanted.

From everything I have seen from Jeanie, she would be less effective than her bro.
I think Jim knows enough ball to be a good basketball guy and Jeanie has the personality to talk to other owners and the league and such.

#28 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,389 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted August 25, 2013 - 01:27 PM

So he's going to Houston with a guy who is 10 years younger than Kobe and definitely will be their no.1 option? God you are a dumbass Dwight

#29 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,855 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 25, 2013 - 03:04 PM

So he's going to Houston with a guy who is 10 years younger than Kobe and definitely will be their no.1 option? God you are a dumbass Dwight

He thinks because Harden doesn't have the reputation of Kobe, t will be easier.

Well titles ain't easy. Ask any and every champion

#30 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,153 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted August 26, 2013 - 09:20 AM

He wanted the FO to amnesty Kobe, so they get a chance at CP3? lol

EyMlHkX.jpg

#31 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 26, 2013 - 01:07 PM

HAHAHAAAHAAAHAAH

... Dwight you are a tool and good riddance to you!

Laker fan for life.

#32 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,654 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 26, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Honestly I think the facts are somewhere in the middle.  Don't think he asked them to amnesty Kobe but I strongly believe he wanted MDA out...hell 90 percent of this board does so why the hell not ask for that lol

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#33 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 04:15 PM

Honestly I think the facts are somewhere in the middle. Don't think he asked them to amnesty Kobe but I strongly believe he wanted MDA out...hell 90 percent of this board does so why the hell not ask for that lol

Dwight didn't ask directly to amnesty Kobe but according to people in that meeting, Dwight and his people asked if it was a possibility which is indirectly asking to amnesty Kobe.

#34 Jack Lime

Jack Lime

Rookie

• 360 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted August 26, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Was going to post this in Lakers talk but figured it would fit in here:

What LA Lakers Would Look Like Today If Dwight Howard Had Gotten His Way

VN8Tqa1.jpg

#35 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,493 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted August 26, 2013 - 05:30 PM

^

If management decided to take howards side. I could have seen them trading gasol to the hawks for smith and filler. Then acquiring cp3 through free agency, then resigning dwight howard for his bird rights. T

Edited by underworldmike, August 26, 2013 - 05:31 PM.

Posted Image

#36 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,737 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 09:13 PM

^

If management decided to take howards side. I could have seen them trading gasol to the hawks for smith and filler. Then acquiring cp3 through free agency, then resigning dwight howard for his bird rights. T

First off they wouldn't have been able to afford Smith.

Secondly, they couldn't trade for Smith because we would still be over the tax.

Thirdly, we couldn't afford Chris Paul in free agency or to pay enough for him and Smith which we'd have to since we'd be unable to make trades.

The only thing in that article that was right was that we'd have 're-signed' Dwight.

Edited by Majesty, August 26, 2013 - 09:13 PM.

• 40,398 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 11:18 PM

Stephen A. Smith and Tracy McGrady discuss the media report that Dwight Howard wanted Mike D'Antoni fired and Kobe Bryant released via the amnesty clause before re-signing with the Lakers.

yo.

#38 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,737 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 11:24 PM

Houston is gonna play Dwight at the 4 and Asik at the 5?

Oh this is going to be fun :laughing:

• 40,398 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hack-a-Dwight hack Asik, lovely.

yo.

#40 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 6,993 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted August 27, 2013 - 01:18 PM

T-Wac needed a doctors note just to get on the show

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users