37 replies to this topic

#21 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 25, 2013 - 02:49 AM

Don't see how Magic trumps Kobe in any list. Kobe is the better scorer, much more range, more clutch, far better on-ball defense, far better help defense, more skills in the post, basketball IQ is higher, better jumper, finishes at the rim better, doesn't turn the ball over as much.

Passing and rebounding...what else did Magic do better than a prime Kobe?

Once Kobe won his 5th championship, he became the greatest Laker of all time...and if you're the greatest Laker of all time, you're also the Laker that's highest on the all time list of greatest players.

If impact is being considered (Magic, Bird and Jordan bringing basketball back to life), then George Mikan better be in your top five.

#22 Mehran The Great

Mehran The Great

Immortal

• 2,860 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24

Posted August 25, 2013 - 07:02 AM

Kobe to me is 5-7th all time right now. but when he finishes his career, win couple of championships, total points, more nba team, he will under top 5. I would say 3rd all time when its all said and done.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#23 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,463 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 25, 2013 - 09:04 AM

Kobe isn't top 5 for me because I believe Johnson was a better leader and team player. 

#24 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,913 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted August 25, 2013 - 09:34 AM

Jordan, Kareem, Magic. Then Bird, Wilt, Russell. Kobe is 7th for me

Bird, Magic and Russell over Kobe.....idk about that but everyone has their opinions.

Kobe isn't top 5 for me because I believe Johnson was a better leader and team player. 

True....but Kobe is pretty much better at everything else besides passing and rebounding.

Edited by LakeShow805, August 25, 2013 - 09:35 AM.

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#25 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,052 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted August 25, 2013 - 09:49 AM

I can understand people putting Kobe over Bird (not me personally) but Kobe over Magic?

#26 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,199 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 25, 2013 - 09:58 AM

I can understand people putting Kobe over Bird (not me personally) but Kobe over Magic?

Why not??? Kobe is a better player than Magic Johnson.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#27 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,913 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted August 25, 2013 - 10:13 AM

because he does everything better than Magic besides passing and rebounding.

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#28 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,052 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted August 25, 2013 - 10:21 AM

Well I am in the minority then I suppose, but for Magic's 13 year or so career, I think it was more impressive considering his numbers, wins, impact in the game plus the era in which he dominated in as opposed to what we have seen from Kobe thus far. It isn't a sleight to Kobe at all, I can agree the gap is very narrow but personally Magic to me is the greatest Laker, thus better all time player than Kobe.

#29 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted August 25, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Era? No zone defense. Aside from the 1999 lockout season (leaving it out because it was only 50 games), nine of the ten greatest defensive teams of all time (based on allowed FG%) came from Kobe's era. This includes the 2008 Celtics, the 2004 Pistons, the dynasty Spurs, and other teams Kobe personally had to run through to get his championships.

People always talk about how hand-checking was a big deal. Sure, it was. It sucks to be hand-checked. It's five times worse to play against a defense catered to STOP you, the individual player, with multiple zones that force you into jumpers.

Everyone that has ever touched a basketball, competitively, and was a primary scorer, knows that zone defense is tougher to play against than physical defense.

#30 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,328 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 25, 2013 - 10:45 PM

Having played 1 and 2 primarily(except 4 as a child) I will be first to state I'd much rather have been hand checked 24/7 as opposed to being zone'd X_X

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

• 40,605 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 10:46 PM

Jerry West Considers Kobe Bryant the Greatest Laker

‘I do think he’s the greatest Laker player we’ve ever seen.’

tumblr_lpdwyzACFL1qjys7d.gif

yo.

#32 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,367 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted August 26, 2013 - 09:23 AM

I think Lebron picking Bird over Magic is what gets Magic. We all know Magic is a way better player than Bird.  When they came into the league together, Bird and Magic was the corner stone of the NBA but Magic always have the better end of things. I think Lebron doesn't want to deal with any Lakers or its organization.  If he put Kareem then sure. I just dont think Lebron likes the Lakers.  I personally believe that Lebron is laughing at the lakers fans who is begging for him to come to the Lakers. He probably loving it right now. Toying with the lakers fans who are also lebron fans.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#33 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted August 26, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Magic is thinking = "When over slurping lBJ goes Wrong" Dont be mad now mAgic u helped fueled this ignorance.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#34 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,882 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:09 PM

How exactly is it a fact that Magic is better than Bird? They were 2 totally different players with intertwined legacies.  Last time I checked Bird didnt play with a guy that some people on this board want to crown above MJ. 

You are reaching so bad at this Lebron thing.  He ever mentioned the Lakers?  The last thing on his mind is the Lakers unless he's facing them in the Finals.  Lebron and Kobe arent rivals and neither are the Heat and the Lakers. 

I think Lebron picking Bird over Magic is what gets Magic. We all know Magic is a way better player than Bird.  When they came into the league together, Bird and Magic was the corner stone of the NBA but Magic always have the better end of things. I think Lebron doesn't want to deal with any Lakers or its organization.  If he put Kareem then sure. I just dont think Lebron likes the Lakers.  I personally believe that Lebron is laughing at the lakers fans who is begging for him to come to the Lakers. He probably loving it right now. Toying with the lakers fans who are also lebron fans.

Edited by Jody Smokes, August 26, 2013 - 02:11 PM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#35 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted August 27, 2013 - 06:50 AM

Kobe did it with less talent overall on his rosters compared to Magic. Its easier to be a better leader when the supporting casts is so good & consistent.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#36 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,630 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted August 27, 2013 - 12:03 PM

People get worked up over another man's opinion. That's just silly. 

2hf753r.jpg

#37 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 984 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted August 27, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Well I am in the minority then I suppose, but for Magic's 13 year or so career, I think it was more impressive considering his numbers, wins, impact in the game plus the era in which he dominated in as opposed to what we have seen from Kobe thus far. It isn't a sleight to Kobe at all, I can agree the gap is very narrow but personally Magic to me is the greatest Laker, thus better all time player than Kobe.

Magic recently said Kobe is the greatest Laker ever.

#38 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,892 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 27, 2013 - 05:04 PM

Jordan, Kareem, Magic. Then Bird, Wilt, Russell. Kobe is 7th for me

Grew up watching Bird.  Kobe's EASILY better than Bird was.  EASILY.

Shaq's got to be in the top 10 and Kobe also.  Wilt was an elite athlete so it wasn't so much the guys he played against, he was just a monster (Basketball wasn't his only sport!).

Magic's hurt because LeBron didn't put him top 3?  LOL...serves him right.  He has hung on LBJ's every word, predicted LBJ would be the best thing since MJ and probably SURPASS MJ and now LBJ doesn't think Magic's top 3?

LOL...LBJ pooped on his bottom chick!  That's what he gets.

LBJ came into the NBA with an extremely similar skillset and approach to the game as Magic.  Like if you took Barkley's strength, Pippen's athleticism and length and Magic's court vision, passing ability and leadership skills and rolled it all into one...truly a once in a generation type player.  Clearly the best in the NBA right now (can't go with Kobe because of injuries and loss of elite athleticism).  MBJ has become the best over time by evolving his game into something that resembles more Bird/Barkley than Magic.  He's become more aggressive scoring the ball than setting others up for the score.  He's taken responsibility of his team and has allowed others around him to support what he does, instead being the one who does it all for them.

I think that's what bother Magic.  The rejection of the "Magic" style of play for something closer to MJ and Kobe...and lack of respect for what endeared Magic to him in the first place...point forward position.

Get over it Magic...he's not your "homie" anymore...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users