Photo

Where does Kevin Durant rank all time at his position?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,391 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 21, 2013 - 10:52 AM

Was talking to a few people who seemed to think Durant if he retired today was a Top 40 player. When I brought up the accomplishments of the Top 50- that was named 10-15 years ago, plus the new guys who have ascended like Duncan,Garnett,Ray Allen,Pierce and of course Kobe.

As far as all time rank my current SFs are

LeBron

Pierce

KD-Melo are about a tie though Melo has a better college resume with his title

McGrady

He's not above

Dominique

Dr. J

Elgin Baylor

Larry Legend

We can project Durant to be greater than these guys but  until it happens we can not give him that credit yet.

You need 8-10 great years before I elevate guys above anyone on that list.

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,063 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 21, 2013 - 10:54 AM

All time? No idea..

Currently he's right behind LeBron and ahead of Paul george.

if we're talking about career wise to this point.  Then he's behind LeBron and Pierce McGrady etc

Edited by Majesty, August 21, 2013 - 10:55 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#3 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,553 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 21, 2013 - 10:58 AM

I feel like its been a bit early to decide but Kevin Durant is by far one of the best shooters ever at his position.  At the end of his career if he keeps at the same pace and maybe gets a few rings here and there I'd say below players in this modern era such as Lebron and possibly Melo depending on their accomplishments but I think he will be above George, Pierce, and McGrady.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#4 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 21, 2013 - 12:04 PM

Jury is still out on Durant. He's got to have that signature Finals run that results in a championship(s).

So many great small forwards tho:

Bird

Erving

Baylor

Pippen

James

Wilkins

Barry

Havlicek

Worthy

Pau Gasol is GONE

#5 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 21, 2013 - 12:07 PM

He might be on pace to be a top 5 all time at that position. Its deep

Hes gonna get compared to Lebron, Larry Bird, Dr. J, James Worthy, Scottie Pippen, Elgin Baylor.  I think he'll pass Worthy and Baylor by the time hes done.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#6 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,209 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted August 21, 2013 - 12:34 PM

dude needs to continue to do what he does for 8-10 years...

Then, this discussion can happen

#7 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,876 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 23, 2013 - 09:58 PM

How in the hell can you do an all time ranking with a kid who isn't even close to finishing his career or accomplishing anything aside from scoring titles?

Why do so many people have this all time ranking need?

#8 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:14 PM

Why do so many people have this all time ranking need?

People love lists (myself included)

I could make a thread for people to list their favorite toothpastes and it'd get a reaction.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#9 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,391 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 07:30 AM

Fido. I'm essentially with you. My point is dont crown him before he has done it.

#10 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,213 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 08:20 AM

I'm not even sure if he is in Top 100.

#11 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,804 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 29, 2013 - 04:23 AM

Jury is still out on Durant. He's got to have that signature Finals run that results in a championship(s).

So many great small forwards tho:

Bird

Erving

Baylor

Pippen

James

Wilkins

Barry

Havlicek

Worthy

True, but he is on a quite steep trajectory. He's still only 24 and have already scored 12,000 points and established himself as among the best scorers in nba history. But obviously, without any rings it won't matter.

#12 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,570 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted August 29, 2013 - 05:11 AM

I'm not even sure if he is in Top 100.

this is reality. TMac had multiple scoring titles and look how people view his career.

Not saying KD doesnt have potential to be top 100 or even 50. But hes gotta show more than a few scoring titles. Look what happened last year when Westbrook went down. KD folded his hand. 

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#13 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,616 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:01 AM

Way too early to tell. He has a hell of a resume though, three scoring titles already and he's super efficient, and a very good rebounder. The problem is he's playing in the same era as the guy who will probably go down as the best SF ever. It's gonna be difficult for him to get over the hump and win that first championship, or get an MVP.

He's still super young and Lebron is gonna be 29 this year, so he could have an opportunity to break through and become the best player in about 3-4 years. Gonna have to wait his turn though. When the top guy is 27-30, sometimes even up to 32, it's hard to dethrone him.

All he can do is keep grinding, because right now he's currently behind guys like Bird, Lebron, Dr J, Big Game, Pippen. That's easily 5 guys at his own position, and I could name 5 more probably with better careers than he's had. Needs more experience. If he continues on the track that he's on though, he could be top 15-10 all time. Just have to wait and see if he can break through.

#14 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,391 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:07 AM

Way too early to tell. He has a hell of a resume though, three scoring titles already and he's super efficient, and a very good rebounder. The problem is he's playing in the same era as the guy who will probably go down as the best SF ever. It's gonna be difficult for him to get over the hump and win that first championship, or get an MVP.

He's still super young and Lebron is gonna be 29 this year, so he could have an opportunity to break through and become the best player in about 3-4 years. Gonna have to wait his turn though. When the top guy is 27-30, sometimes even up to 32, it's hard to dethrone him.

All he can do is keep grinding, because right now he's currently behind guys like Bird, Lebron, Dr J, Big Game, Pippen. That's easily 5 guys at his own position, and I could name 5 more probably with better careers than he's had. Needs more experience. If he continues on the track that he's on though, he could be top 15-10 all time. Just have to wait and see if he can break through.

Elgin Baylor,Dominique Wilkins,T-McGrady, Alex English, Adrian Dantley, Rick barry, john Havelichik,Grant Hill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users