Photo

ESPN Numbers Never Lie: Michael Jordan Vs. Kobe - Would Six Rings Put Kobe On Jordan's Level?

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#161 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,001 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 01, 2013 - 10:34 AM

Well here's the thing

Durants stats were the kind that should have made ESPN pundits climax.

When LeBron put up 27/7/7 they were all "THIS IS SOMETHING WE'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE!!"  in the playoffs..

Durant put up 32/7.8/6  and 28/10/6  in the playoffs and no one said a darn thing.

Impressive anyway you stretch it.  But he sure as heck wasn't as accurate when defenses could actually play him like they play people like Kobe.

Edited by Majesty, September 01, 2013 - 10:34 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#162 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,371 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 01, 2013 - 10:37 AM

KD was crippled by Westbrook in a sense, he didnt have to create for teammates.

I think , he is a chucker even more so than Kobe when u look at shot choice but Westbrook is so crazy that his bad shots stick out more

#163 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,919 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 01, 2013 - 10:51 AM

I'm going to be honest here: the fact that you called me "Google Man" really just helped turn my head away from your posts, and I rarely do that. It's kind of childish, but you're obviously much older than me (a month from 30), so...okay.

Your memory serves you well? Magic Johnson says that Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player to ever live...and I do believe Magic's memory would come into play there, especially since he actually shared the basketball with Kareem.

Larry Bird said the same thing. MANY players have.

So, let's play your game for a moment. What makes me think that ANYTHING you say is more accurate than what those legends have to say, if we're solely basing everything on what you (and what they) saw with their own two eyes, old feller?

Your disrespectful tone is very interesting, though. It tells me a lot, but mostly, it's out of frustration, and I don't blame you. I'd be frustrated if I were you, also. It's painful when all you have, to base your argument around, is an opinion.

We all have one of those, even the 10 year old down the street from me, so good for you.  

EDIT: By the way, Clyde would have played the three, if Jordan was drafted to Portland.  If your memory served you well, you'd know that he actually did play the SF position, very often, throughout his career.

To suggest that Jordan would come off the bench...lol, that's quite funny.  You truthfully do not belong in this discussion.

#164 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,447 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted September 03, 2013 - 06:18 PM

It was an instead of statement. In other words if it was Jordan instead of Magic in 79

^ You're aware that if Michael had joined the Lakers it would have been WITH Magic on the same team right?   It wouldn't have been a formula for disaster in any stretch, they'd both have ended their career with 10 rings but there may have never been a Phil Jackson then so.. there's that and if there's no Phil Jackson what happens with the Shaw Kobe era?  does it happen?  What happens?

Lots of "ifs" there.

#165 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,553 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 07, 2013 - 06:14 AM

I'd say Jordan is the best player i've ever seen live or on tv. Kobe is thisclose though.

My Mt Rushmore of hoops is KAJ, Wilt, Jordan, Kobe.

With apologies to Magic, Bird, Shaq, Dream, Big O, Dr. J, Stockton (all time leader in assists AND steals and gets no love!)

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#166 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 07, 2013 - 10:33 PM

So I just got back home after a few days of visiting some relatives. Then I read the last few pages of this thread.

I can't wait until the offseason is over.

#167 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,001 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 07, 2013 - 11:31 PM

The only way that Kobe would be put ahead of Jordan is if he wins two more championships.  Three would seal it.  (because if he was around that long he'd likely pass Jordan in ever statistical category except steals while being the all time leading scorer in NBA history so it would be hard to argue at that point)

But there's two chances of that happening.   I doubt doubt that he'll win his 6th though.  But the 7th.... that's the harder reality.

I will say though that if we ever make it to another finals and HE is on the team, nothing is gonna stop him from winning that 6th ring and it will be a NBA Finals performance over a series of games we'll talk about for years to come.

But HE needs to be healthy, and we need to have put the proper team around him. 

Edited by Majesty, September 07, 2013 - 11:56 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#168 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 488 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted September 09, 2013 - 10:18 AM

I will say though that if we ever make it to another finals and HE is on the team, nothing is gonna stop him from winning that 6th ring and it will be a NBA Finals performance over a series of games we'll talk about for years to come.

Wait, so nothing can stop Kobe in the finals but they can stop him in 1st, 2nd and conference finals? And how are you so sure that it will be a NBA Finals performance that will be talked about for years? I was unaware you can see the future. Do we win this year?

Making it to the finals is a big "IF". Lakers need to get the right pieces as soon as possible if they want kobe to get another ring. Our chances this year is really slim. So hopefully 2014 Lakers acquire another superstar because Kobe is not getting any younger.

#169 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,371 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 09, 2013 - 10:38 AM

Wait, so nothing can stop Kobe in the finals but they can stop him in 1st, 2nd and conference finals? And how are you so sure that it will be a NBA Finals performance that will be talked about for years? I was unaware you can see the future. Do we win this year?

Making it to the finals is a big "IF". Lakers need to get the right pieces as soon as possible if they want kobe to get another ring. Our chances this year is really slim. So hopefully 2014 Lakers acquire another superstar because Kobe is not getting any younger.

I know you're not a fan, but Kobe and really every NBA player can elevate their games for a temporary time

i thought Dirk did it in the 2011 playoffs, I think Kobe did it against the Suns in 2010

#170 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,713 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted September 09, 2013 - 11:28 AM

he's saying if they were to make the finals, it would switch into cannot be defeated mode.

ap1.png

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users