Photo

Your Laker Journey: How did you become a fan?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted August 29, 2013 - 09:27 PM

Noticed my dad watching the Finals in 2001 but didn't really start to pay attention until the 2002 playoffs. The moment I became hooked for life was when Robert Horry banged in that three in Game 4.

Posted Image

#42 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,517 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 30, 2013 - 06:15 AM

After the Bulls stopped winning I became a Lakers fan around 2000. But now I'm a Proud Heat Die Hard!

Before I read the second part of your post I was thinking, "Oh this piece of [expletive]"

#43 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 815 posts
  • Fan Since:since my dad took me to see "Wilt the Stilt" at the Forum
  • Fav. Laker:whoever wins the next game

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:29 AM

My dad was a fan and we didn't have much money when I was a kid. But he got these promo tickets to watch a scrimmage game at the Forum when I was very young. It was the Lakers v. the Lakers!  Half the team wore gold and half the team wore purple. We were cheering for the team with "Wilt the Stilt"! That's my earliest Laker memory...

#44 EJ06

EJ06

Rookie

• 775 posts
  • Fan Since:1995-96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 31, 2013 - 12:06 PM

Great thread!

My earliest Laker memory is tunning into KCAL9 at random one night. 1996 or 97 I think.  I saw Eddie Jones sink two free throws. Since then, I've been a huge fan. Of course my dad really facilitated my love of basketball and the Lakers. He took me to at least two games and I even got to see Magic in his final season. Great times.

#45 xonx

xonx

Rookie

• 22 posts
  • Fan Since:1972
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 01, 2013 - 04:04 AM

I'm old. Jerry West hitting that shot behind the half court against the Knicks did it for me. I was 5.

Had there been a 3 point line then, the Lakers would have won that game right then and there instead of losing in overtime. Probably would have won that series too. No Willis Reed heroics in Game 7.

#46 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,720 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 07, 2013 - 05:48 AM

First Post. (btw following that dwight thread on meeting day hooked me here)

Way back in the day 71-72 season. Young kid. Lakers had wilt and West and Gail (elgin retired early in season) and they went on the famous 33 game win streak. I went to about 5 games with my dad that year (knicks, bucks, det. Chi.) KAJ was on the bucks. So was Big O.  A buddy i went to school with had season seats on the floor. We sat top 2 rows at the forum in colonade. Chick calling games (younger fans really missed out if you never caught chick...he was as good as the game itself)

Gail Goodrich and Elgin had a basketball camp in summer i went to a couple years in a row.  

I was hooked.

Never thought id like another Laker more than West. Then Magic comes along. Same with Magic. Then Kobe comes along.

I can't imagine liking another laker more than Kobe...he's been so good for so long. That said...my favorite laker teams were with magic in the 80's. That was a glorious decade. 9 finals in like 12 years. Seasons always going into June. So much good basketball.

Lucky to have been raised in so cal. 

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users