Photo

Your Laker Journey: How did you become a fan?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,126 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted August 21, 2013 - 11:20 AM

In my younger years I used to watch sporadically during the 3 peat era, My Godfather used to lived with us, and help my family take care of my sister, and I. He used to watch too. I became a diehard fan tho during the 05-06 season (I have no idea why lol) I remember tuning into TNT to watch the opener and I rarely miss a game since 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#22 soldier4death

soldier4death

Makaveli Trained GS

• 908 posts
  • Name:Ruben
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Me

Posted August 21, 2013 - 12:18 PM

I was born.

#23 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,732 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 21, 2013 - 01:26 PM

When I was 10 years old, my dad bought NBA Live '98. I had no clue about any team in the NBA (I am Spanish), and I picked the Lakers in my first exhibition game because their logo was very striking to me. That's the beginning of my Laker journey...

Edited by Nak, August 21, 2013 - 01:26 PM.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#24 SuPeRmAoR

SuPeRmAoR

TLN's ballerist

• 2,476 posts
  • Name:Maor
  • Fan Since:4 years old
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted August 22, 2013 - 01:28 AM

No real choice. My family came here in 85 from israel. My dad and my uncles all used to watch showtime back in israel. I was born in 93 so i first started really paying attention during the 3 peat era. I think i became a die hard when i tainted my cousin from philly during the 01 finals. I was 7 or 8 at the time.

jpg2mw.jpg

"Dante Exum will be an NBA All Star by the 2018 NBA Season" - Supermaor23 3/10/14

#25 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,355 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted August 22, 2013 - 01:55 AM

Grandparents came to America around 1968, and watched West, Elgin and Wilt win a title for L.A. My grandma was telling me how alive the city of L.A was at the time, and then my aunts and uncles and dad began watch them in the 7-s and from then on it was a Laker family. I remember when I was around 4 years old we would always go to my grandmas house and sit in the room and watch the Lakers all the time, I remember Nick van Exel was my favorite Laker I thought he was the best ever!

My uncle may he RIP! bought me a ticket to an open practice in 1997 my parents took me and it was the most coolest thing I've ever been to as a kid, I remember Shaq kicking the ball high up in the air and the bastard fan in front of me caught the ball! I remember I cried hahaha! Another memory of mine when I began to be a diehard fan was going to Shaq's 61 pt game vs the clippers with my dad, we were literally all the way up in the nose bleeds and but to me it was amazing. I remember my dad wanting to leave in the middle of the 4th because Shaq was dominating big time and he wanted to beat traffic, but I begged him to stay the whole game so glad I did as I saw Kobe catch a reverse alley oop from shaq :D

Winning the 3 peat was really when I became an absolute die hard, but for some reason around the 05/06 season I just took it to another level and joined forums always looking up rumors and such.

#26 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,773 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 02:47 AM

Came from a country that is all about soccer, so i had no interest whatsoever in Bball. One day both uncles came back from LA and they were playing basketball , one was wearing Kobe and the other Shaq. So the lakers name was on my mind since i was young, yet i didnt start watching them till 09. Kobe was my favorite player because i liked the word kobe lol, it means  "my cup" in Arabic. I even had a kobe t-shirt from Adidas before i ever saw the dude lol.

Friends were laughing at me cause no one saw the transition phase from soccer to basketball. Left my hometown as diehard core fan of Arsenal- Thierry Henry and came back "vacations" as a Laker fan. They laughed cause i was about to start my soccer analysts career and now i barely watch soccer. Taught two of my friends everything about basketball and now one is a LeBron fan and the other is a clipper fan.

#27 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,347 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted August 22, 2013 - 03:13 AM

Actually Living in germany you havent got it that easy..

Well I was 10 years old in late december during ramadan and my brother wanted to give me a gift for my fasting skills so we got into foot locker and he told me chose a jersey..well I knew to that point the lakers shaq kobe etc.. so i Picked shaq over kobe at this time  :clap2:  remember? shaq was a BEAST in the early decade! So yeah thats how my dedication really started.. i started to watch lakers games, (of course on demand cause i was a kid) , i started to surf in the internet about lakers history etc and my first finals were the 2004 against the pistons which i watched LIVE! from this point i became a huge lakers and kobe fan, even if we lost to the pistons lol... 

now like 12-13 years ive been a huge fan and all of my friends, familys even strangers i dont know in cologne city recgonize my passion for this franchise and they all call me german laker boy living in the wrong country..haha and itrs the truth!

:bow:  :bow:  :bow:

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#28 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 863 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:36 AM

I started following in the early 2000's, though I never really got intense till my dad and I watched Kobe's 81 piont game.

#29 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,381 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 11:19 AM

This thread should probably be pinned. It'd be a good start for new users to introduce themselves and reminisce about their initial Laker journey.

#30 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,652 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted August 22, 2013 - 04:40 PM

I believe we have at least one other thread like this, I'll check around and maybe we'll merge and pin

Posted Image

#31 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Tron
  • Fan Since:Conception
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted August 22, 2013 - 05:03 PM

Being born.

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#32 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,753 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted August 22, 2013 - 05:44 PM

because of my dad, he's a die hard laker fan and I'm just KB24 dick rider HAHAHAHA

33bkfif.jpg

#33 Jack Lime

Jack Lime

Rookie

• 360 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted August 22, 2013 - 06:33 PM

I was introduced to the Lakers from my Dad watching post-crisis Magic(I think) play. I grew up on Dell Harris and Nick Van Exel. Then, we got Shaq and some guy named Kobe Bryant and yeah =]

VN8Tqa1.jpg

#34 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted August 23, 2013 - 01:25 AM

I was watching basketball in the 80s, basically a player-only fan until around 1992, when my cousin told me to pick a team and stick with it.  I chose the Phoenix Suns, because Charles Barkley was my favorite player (and Jordan, but I already had a ton of Barkley basketball cards, so I picked his team).  That was the year he was dealt from Philly, by the way.

So, for a few years, I was supporting Barkley, KJ, Majerle and the Suns.

Well, in 1996, I was really getting into the sport...to the point where I wasn't just playing it for fun, but working on my game, almost 13 years old.  I really just wanted to find a player I could like that fit MY game...and as you guys know, CB was a PF.  I saw Dick Vitale talk about Kobe Bryant on ESPN one day, and I asked my cousin about him.  We ended up recording a few highlights and games that they had on TV (especially when they were running programs a week before the draft, they featured him, Iverson and Marbury often), and I was hooked.  Whatever team he was headed to, I was going with him.

My cousin didn't like the Lakers, actually.  He liked Shaq for a while, until he left Orlando.  Aside from him, though, I didn't have anyone else in my family caring about the sport, and on top of that, I was living in Kansas.  We had the Kings up until I was two years old, haha...but that was it.  The Bulls were basically our "local" team (on WGN all the time in our area), and I would've went ahead and rode Jordan's bandwagon, but I got to where I wanted to root against him after they beat my Suns in the 1993 Finals.

#35 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted August 23, 2013 - 01:33 AM

My uncle told me to watch Kobe because this guy is something special. Became a die hard a couple years after that in the 04-05 season. Haven't missed a game since.

Edited by Notorious Arab, August 23, 2013 - 01:33 AM.

Posted Image

#36 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,480 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 23, 2013 - 03:15 AM

I basically started watching basketball from around the ’96 draft. In Denmark the NBA weren’t televised at the time, so it was a bit difficult. At the time I was impressed with the Bulls and I remember being more impressed with MJs supporting cast, than MJ. Following the Bulls’ second three-peat, I basically started following the guys from the ’96 draft more closely – primarily Kobe and AI and for the last 10 years I’ve been a Kobe fan and a Laker fan. I’m not sure in which order.

#37 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 400 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted August 23, 2013 - 09:39 AM

I grew up in Anaheim so I was basically born into it. My first Laker game at the forum was Magics rookie year. I was eight. Just being in the same building over the years as a Laker fan at Laker games was memorizing. Jack and all the other celebrities being there blew my mind too. Here I was, in what seeming to me, felt like the coolest possible place to be on earth at that time. It was a wonderful way to grow up. Except for the Rocket playoff game in 1986. That still hurts. I also classify as "Laker Royalty" a term used only if you were born in a year the Lakers were Champions (1972). Proudly, my daughter is too (2010). Kobe and Magic are my all time favs but my sentimental favorite will always be James Worthy. Didn't hurt he was a Tar Heel either. ;)<br />

Edited by HQLLYWQQD, August 23, 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#38 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted August 23, 2013 - 03:06 PM

born into fandom back in '74.. My pops is a huge Lakers fan. 

The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#39 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,435 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted August 29, 2013 - 05:44 AM

After the Bulls stopped winning I became a Lakers fan around 2000. But now I'm a Proud Heat Die Hard!

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#40 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,525 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:01 AM

I believe 06 was the first year I became interested in the Lakers. I remember buying a Kobe jersey at the mall and wearing it around all the time... I still have it. I lived in Phoenix at that time and I HATED those Suns teams, so i got a lot of smack talk for wearing my Kobe jersey. I wasn't die hard yet, though. I started watching on an everday basis and stuff I think about a year later in the 07 season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users