Photo

Your Laker Journey: How did you become a fan?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,644 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:53 PM

Being from Florida, as a kid I was a big time Magic fan.  Penny was my dude and so was Shaq.  After Shaq bounced on us, I was a bonafide Laker/Shaq hater for years.  Never had an issue with Kobe just really disliked Shaq.  How I became a fan was originally siding with Kobe during the beef and with my hatred for Shaq I always wanted to succeed in spite of his big goofy ass. 

The 03 season is the first year I started to want the Lakers to win b/c of Kobe.  Not truly a fan yet til Shaq left.  Didn't become a real true P&G fan til like 07 when Kobe didnt get traded.  From here on out after Kobe retires I'll still be a Laker fan.  Hope some major changes come so success can continue.

What's your story and how you became a fan?

Edited by Jody Smokes, August 20, 2013 - 05:54 PM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#2 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,265 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:55 PM

My dad said...

"Son, this is Magic Johnson"

#3 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,237 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:57 PM

I passed through the birthing canal.

#4 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Black Lagoon

• 8,470 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 06:02 PM

Chick Hearn doing play-by-play.

MMiRi9s.png

#5 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,579 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted August 20, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Chick Hearn doing play-by-play.

Man, I miss Chick. Greatest play by play man of all time.

#6 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted August 20, 2013 - 06:10 PM

I'm from LA, and the person that raised me would show me them play on TV plus tell me of "Showtime", made them seem magical especially as a kid.

#7 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,111 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 20, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Kobe in the dunk contest. I was 5 at the time.

#8 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,448 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 20, 2013 - 06:36 PM

I was always a fan of the game and didn't want to associate myself with a team because I felt that most fans were screaming idiots. I turned on the TV one day and the Lakers were on. I loved how they played: such grace and speed. I've been a fan ever since. 

#9 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,696 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 20, 2013 - 06:58 PM

I was born into a world of Magic Johnson SHOWTIME and Michael Jordan Bulls.

They both were my favorite players growing up and I picked my number in basketball after those two :)

My number when I play and played is 5.   Because it's Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson :) 

How? 

2+3 = 5 and 3+2 = 5  

So that's how I signified both my favorites :)  My mother's birthday is also Cinco De Mayo so it's a marvelous and beautiful coincidence :)

But that's how I became a fan.  I grew up a Michael Jordan fan and a Magic Johnson and Lakers fan.

Enjoyed both their successes and was depressed when Magic retired  :( So I watched the Lakers as well as the Bulls and rooted for both.    Though I was a Lakers fan and I wasn't a Bulls fan I was a Michael Jordan fan.

But when Jordan and the Bulls went up against the Utah Jazz I never wanted to see the Jazz lose so badly cause I loathed Karl Malone for what he said about Magic causing him to retire a second time and especially after the year they swept the Lakers RIGHT before going up against the Bulls.... So it was a double whammy.

So when they lost I was happy.  When Jordan retired I was happy cause he went out beating the Jazz who I hated. 

But then the Lakers got Phil Jackson, Ron Harper and Dennis Rodman and I said to myself "well both of my worlds just combined" lol.  I was already passionate about the Lakers and I had respect for the Bulls players and MAJOR respect for Phil Jackson,  So it just felt perfect.

I grew to hate Scottie as a trailblazer  though :laughing:

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#10 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,579 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted August 20, 2013 - 09:09 PM

I was born into a world of Magic Johnson SHOWTIME and Michael Jordan Bulls.

They both were my favorite players growing up and I picked my number in basketball after those two :)

My number when I play and played is 5.   Because it's Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson :) 

How? 

2+3 = 5 and 3+2 = 5  

So that's how I signified both my favorites :)  My mother's birthday is also Cinco De Mayo so it's a marvelous and beautiful coincidence :)

But that's how I became a fan.  I grew up a Michael Jordan fan and a Magic Johnson and Lakers fan.

Enjoyed both their successes and was depressed when Magic retired  :( So I watched the Lakers as well as the Bulls and rooted for both.    Though I was a Lakers fan and I wasn't a Bulls fan I was a Michael Jordan fan.

But when Jordan and the Bulls went up against the Utah Jazz I never wanted to see the Jazz lose so badly cause I loathed Karl Malone for what he said about Magic causing him to retire a second time and especially after the year they swept the Lakers RIGHT before going up against the Bulls.... So it was a double whammy.

So when they lost I was happy.  When Jordan retired I was happy cause he went out beating the Jazz who I hated. 

But then the Lakers got Phil Jackson, Ron Harper and Dennis Rodman and I said to myself "well both of my worlds just combined" lol.  I was already passionate about the Lakers and I had respect for the Bulls players and MAJOR respect for Phil Jackson,  So it just felt perfect.

I grew to hate Scottie as a trailblazer  though :laughing:

I wish Lakers traded Glen Rice for Scottie. Lakers were close but Blazers got him.

#11 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,370 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted August 20, 2013 - 09:51 PM

I started playing basketball in 07, I knew about the NBA before that but never went into it until that year
Then i watched kobe highlights that lead me to the lakers highlights, showtime... I fell in love with what the purple and gold represented
I have watched them since
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#12 Jee

Jee

♚ ROOKIE ©

• 579 posts
  • Name:Jee
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:ANY WHO PLAYS HERE

Posted August 20, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Watch NBA on NBC with my brothers during MJ era. Disappointing, because I only witness the end of the Showtime Era and Magic announcement. However, my bros Lakers fan also, told me all about it and Loved watching Nick "the quick" Van Exel and his arm pump and Eddie Jones.

#13 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,545 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 20, 2013 - 10:08 PM

My uncle got some Laker tickets gave me two. Me and my brother saw Magic tear it up and from that moment on I began to bleed purple and gold. I bought so much merchandise. Had a blast that day. One of the most memorable days of my life.

Too bad, I live in NY now. I can only watch them once a year and it's hard to get tickets.

Edited by Ham, August 20, 2013 - 10:09 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#14 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Black Lagoon

• 8,470 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 10:58 PM

^ I would love to get a chance to go in Madison Square Garden. Even if it was once a year, lol.

MMiRi9s.png

#15 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,349 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 20, 2013 - 10:58 PM

Although I wish I was a fan sooner, I became one after watching the 2009 Lakers playoffs when they eventually beat the Magic and Kobe won his first ring without Shaq. I just randomly flipped on the channel and was amazed at what Kobe Bryant was able to do. He made me respect not only him as a player but the entire game of basketball. 

#16 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 688 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted August 20, 2013 - 11:48 PM

I was such a band-wagon fan back in the day. Granted, I was 8. 

HOWEVER, the 98 all star game was the day the Lakers hooked me. And it couldn't have been a more perfect play: a rebound from Shaq, and QB pass to a streaking young-legs-Kobe all alone for the 360 jam. I still loved MJ (I was even rooting for the East to win haha), but I knew in that moment that the Kobe Bryant guy wearing the purple and gold was going to be awesome.

Essentially, the fandom band-wagon went - in the duration of the ASG - from MJ -> Shaq -> Kobe -> purple and gold, and finally the bus settled in LA.

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

#17 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,552 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted August 21, 2013 - 06:11 AM

My dads side of the family is from Detroit (his parents, two older brothers and older sister). He lived in Chicago for a few years too. His brothers were both fighters, the oldest was a kick boxer. He fought for the WKA championship when he was 22. Then he made a bunch of bad decisions and went to prison for a while, but whatever lol. It was a rough, working-class environment.

My moms side of the family is from Southern California (parents, three older brothers). They were all surfers, did a little dirt biking, they're all really laid back. One of them lives on Catalina now, he's a marine biologist.

My dad moved to California after college, from the university of Alabama. Started surfing, fell in love with the Lakers (even cheered for them from the hospital the day I was born; despite the fact that Rodman was pulling down 19 rebounds for my dad's hometown team in game 3 of the '89 finals).

I guess having been exposed to both ends of the spectrum, he wanted my brother and me to be raised more like my moms side of the family than his. Being a Lakers fan just came with it I guess.

Good thing my dad didn't get homesick that day, otherwise I might be wearing a Brandon Knight jersey right now instead of Kobes.

Edited by djcovi, August 21, 2013 - 06:20 AM.

#18 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,767 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted August 21, 2013 - 07:44 AM

There wasn't a choice in my house. Plus not like the clippers in the 80s and 90s offerred an alternative. Watching Magic and listening to Chick on KCAL was the beginning for me. Shoot, the forum is its dying days was where I spent a lot of time.

#19 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,044 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 07:56 AM

Started with my dad hogging the TV to watch the Laker games when I wanted to watch cartoons or some other programming instead lol. We had just one TV in the house at the time so I always just on the living room floor watching anyway. Pretty much grew on me as years went by and things just went from there lol

#20 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,545 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:04 AM

^ I would love to get a chance to go in Madison Square Garden. Even if it was once a year, lol.

It's a great arena. I just can't stand Knick fans. It's even better when Kobe comes to town. You see half the arena sometimes as Laker fans. 

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users