Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,356 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 20, 2013 - 02:44 PM

Meeks seeks to emerge from forgotten man status

7270868.jpg

Granted, the 2012-13 season was pretty crummy for every Los Angeles Lakers player, but consider the plight of Jodie Meeks.

After two and a half solid seasons in Philadelphia, where Meeks established himself as a valued contributor on playoff teams, the sweet-shooting guard signed with L.A. at a discount with the hopes of winning a ring.

While he witnessed his teammates go down left and right with injuries as the season wore on, Meeks fortunately avoided any health problems. With Kobe Bryant out with a torn Achilles tendon, it was Meeks who was on the court at shooting guard in Bryant's place in the regular-season finale against the Houston Rockets, driving baseline and throwing down a game-sealing dunk in overtime to secure L.A. the seventh seed in the postseason.

But whoever was holding the purple and gold Voodoo doll spared Meeks only for so long. He suffered a third-degree sprain in his left ankle in the Lakers' opening playoff loss to the San Antonio Spurs, ending his season three games sooner than his team did after the Lakers' decimated roster was swept by the Spurs.

"It was really bad timing," Meeks told ESPNLosAngeles.com in a phone interview from his offseason home in Atlanta on Monday. "I was very frustrated just because, selfishly, I was like, ‘Man, I can get as many shots as I want now and I can’t even play.’

"I felt like it was a good opportunity for me to kind of showcase what I could do on a more productive level because the guys were hurt."

As this upcoming season approaches, all Meeks wants is that opportunity again.

Nick Young, a talented wing player who is a natural shooting guard but could be relied on to play more small forward with Metta World Peace now in New York. They also brought in Jordan Farmar, who can play both guard spots. And of course there are still the Steves -- Nash and Blake -- who will command minutes in the backcourt.

Even though D'Antoni has vowed to play an 11-man rotation next season, Meeks knows that it's not realistic to think all six guards will get consistent playing time.

"I try not to worry about stuff I can’t control," Meeks said. "I have a year under my belt with Coach D’Antoni’s system so that kind of puts me ahead of the curve to start the season, but at the end of the day, you have to be productive when you get out there. My main focus is just doing that. Doing what I can when I’m out there, being productive and trying to win games. I think when that stuff happens I won’t have anything to worry about."

Meeks' productivity was unpredictable last season. He scored in double digits in 26 of the 78 games he played -- most memorably scoring 12 of his 19 points in the fourth quarter of an epic comeback in New Orleans and torching Denver for 21 points on 7-for-8 shooting from downtown -- but he also had 22 games with one made field goal or fewer. That is to say far too often he was a shooter who was not making shots.

Meeks, who turns 26 this week, said none other than Magic Johnson encouraged him to stay confident in his shot and play his game, something that has fueled him this summer.

While he is still undergoing rehab on his left ankle ("I tore a couple ligaments," Meeks said of the severity of the injury), he was cleared to resume full-contact drills a month and a half ago and should be fully healthy as he enters a contract year.

READ MORE HERE: http://espn.go.com/b...tten-man-status

Wow... didn't know he was still rehabing his ankle.  That injury must have been worse than we all thought.   Least he's been able to go full contact a month and a half ago.

Sadly I think he will be the "forgotten" one once Kobe returns.  The only way I don't see it happening if we remain healthy which I want above all else is if we don't sign another forward

Cause then our lineup would be

Nash
Kobe
Wesley
Hill
Pau

Blake/Farmar
Meeks
Young
Kelly/Harris
Kaman/Sacre

But if we do then I don't see how Meeks gets minutes if we remain healthy which I hope we do!

But if D'antoni stays true to his word of running an 11 man rotation there will probably be nights where Meeks gets more play time than others, same goes for Farmar etc.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#2 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,807 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 20, 2013 - 02:50 PM

Highly doubt we will see a full 11 man rotation.  Meeks will get plenty of playing time due to Kobe most likely being out. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#3 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,356 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 03:01 PM

Highly doubt we will see a full 11 man rotation.  Meeks will get plenty of playing time due to Kobe most likely being out. 

If the Lakers can stay above 500 somehow with Kobe getting back into  "Kobe shape" then I wouldn't mind honestly.

if you asked me what I truly would truly want(aside from Kobe returning at the right time, be it season opener or not).  I want Kobe to be healthy enough to play in the season opener if he wanted to.  But I want the Lakers to play well enough as a team that it would allow him to get himself into "Mamba" shape and not be overdepended on. 

My dream scenario is Kobe being healthy enough to return but to be primarily in practice, and practice with the team full force but for them to play well enough to be above .500 by the time of the Christmas game.   That's about 2 and a half months or so of Kobe going full boar in practice and getting himself into "Mamba" shape and then making a run from the Christmas game onwards with a 90% of what he was last year to higher Kobe.

I'd much prefer that then to watch the team struggle and Kobe HAVING to come back early(which he'd be capable of, but not in "mamba" shape yet) and having to do everything.

I'd much rather Kobe transition into basketball shape in practice full boarwith his teammates, on limited playing time than go through games playing heavy minutes getting back into the swing while his teammates depend primarily on him.

Besides if the Lakers play well enough where he can take his time on returning and are above .500 by the Christmas game without Kobe it would only mean good things when Kobe returned in game shape long as they kept their consistency.

Edited by Majesty, August 20, 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#4 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,807 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 03:26 PM

I don't know.  I'm in the middle.  With Kobe being my fav player I want to see him healthy and playing but honestly don't even want to see how this team is going to look with him not on the floor.  I just can't see 500 with the conservative return date being December.  17 games in November with the first 3 being Clips, Warriors and Spurs. 

Without Kobe I can see us beating some of the bad teams like Sac and New Orleans but NO has young talent that is really good.  In the first 17 I say we are 7-10 or so. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#5 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,807 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 03:29 PM

Also with bball being a rhythm and chemistry game, the longer it takes Kobe to come back the worst off his return will be.  He just won't be able to return directly to the lineup and dominate.  We are relying on a lot of pipedreams in order to be an OK team. 

1.  Nick Young at 28 having a breakout year

2. Wes Johnson actually being productive

3. Pau turning back the clock 4 years

4. Nash (see Pau)

5. Bench being productive

6. Kaman actually playing more than 70 games this year. 

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,356 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 03:38 PM

The chemistry thing is why I'd want Kobe to be healthy enough to go full boar in practice but take his time returning to play in the live game while he gets into Mamba shape.

#7 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,356 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 03:46 PM

and Jodie's gonna have to shoot a LOT better.  He got so many wide open looks last year to shoot 38% from the field under those conditions is unacceptable.

heck if he shot 42% from the field this year I'd be happy

#8 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 11,970 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted August 20, 2013 - 03:50 PM

This team still needs a sf/pf

#9 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,807 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 04:07 PM

Not many available if any worth it.  Guys want to laugh but honestly those minutes should go to Kelly and Harris.  One of them may stick and end up being a productive player in the long run. 

Attainable PF left: Odom, Jamison, Tyrus Thomas, Admunson

Attainable SF left: SJack, Maggette, James Johnson and Sam Young

None of those options are going to make or break this team.  Better off developing the young guys, you know since we need to actually consider the future now.

This team still needs a sf/pf

#10 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 20, 2013 - 04:22 PM

Well, this season is all about taking chances, so why not give Harris and Kelly some serious minutes? 

#11 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 11,970 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted August 20, 2013 - 04:27 PM

I think they will get a shot, but shouldn't put much bank into 2nd rounders and undrafted players...

Well, this season is all about taking chances, so why not give Harris and Kelly some serious minutes? 

Here are the Lakers draft picks who did things from the 2nd round...

Luke Walton...

Marc Gasol...

THATS IT...

I can rattle off a dozen plus other 2nd round picks who had lots of hype and talk about them, and no one is here today... and only a couple even produced near sub-par levels (ebanks)

Ill give them a shot, but, bank little on Harris and Kelly... and you wont be disappointed...

This team needs someone who can play the 3, and slide down to the 4 when playing small ball.

I have no idea who that would be...

Also, no idea who the SF will be... Nick young? Wesley Johnson? Kobe?

#12 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 20, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Oh believe me, I'm not betting the bank on those two. I'm merely saying why not? Also, Nick Young thinks he's going to be the starting SF, so...there's that. 

#13 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 847 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 20, 2013 - 04:35 PM

Jodie who?

#14 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 847 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted August 20, 2013 - 04:35 PM

Meeks?

#15 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 5,392 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 20, 2013 - 04:37 PM

lol kobe won't be out. 

Edited by Ham, August 20, 2013 - 04:37 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,356 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 04:38 PM

Honestly in terms of getting another SF we're probably waiting to see what PHX does with Beasley.

#17 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 4,644 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:08 PM

I'm excited about Meeks. Sure it's funny seeing him on fastbreaks since he'll almost always shoot it, but the guy hustles and doesn't give up on plays. 

Hopefully he can be consistent and backup Kobe, then we could probably slide Young as a backup 3. 

#18 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 663 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:23 PM

He was forgotten because he was terrible. 

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

#19 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,807 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Yep. Guys need to realize that Lakers have never had to really look towards the future and develop players so this concept is foreign to the front office and is obviously foreign to the fans, especially on this board. Having 2 of the greastest players of all time for the last 18 years can do that to you. 

The front office needs to hire some real scouts and development coaches, something like the Spurs.  I know Pop is great but it's not all him.  We are going to have to scout good talent and niche guys going forward. 

I think they will get a shot, but shouldn't put much bank into 2nd rounders and undrafted players...

Here are the Lakers draft picks who did things from the 2nd round...

Luke Walton...

Marc Gasol...

THATS IT...

I can rattle off a dozen plus other 2nd round picks who had lots of hype and talk about them, and no one is here today... and only a couple even produced near sub-par levels (ebanks)

Ill give them a shot, but, bank little on Harris and Kelly... and you wont be disappointed...

This team needs someone who can play the 3, and slide down to the 4 when playing small ball.

I have no idea who that would be...

Also, no idea who the SF will be... Nick young? Wesley Johnson? Kobe?

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,356 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:49 PM

Yep. Guys need to realize that Lakers have never had to really look towards the future and develop players. 

What was Kobe Bryant then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users