Photo

Nick Young hitting shot after shot at Lakers Practice Facility(Update Page 3: Throwing down 360 alley oop dunks in practice with Farmar)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,192 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted August 20, 2013 - 10:57 AM

keep practicing Lakers gonna need your scoring heavy.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#22 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,104 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 20, 2013 - 11:06 AM

Karl Malone never did anything? Please don't comment ever again  :woot:

In the context of whose era was it     Karl Malone or Jordan.

PFs who aren't defensive anchors will always have a Karl Malone ceiling.

6'8 PFs will do nothing but come up against a Jordan,Magic,Kobe,Shaq,Duncan and lose.

Barkley the same. One way great offensive players, little league impact.

TITLES matter when your career is done. Karl tried o ride Kobe and Shaq and somehow messed that up

#23 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,127 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 20, 2013 - 03:31 PM

Um no one won but MJ during his prime era...please go take a seat dude

In the context of whose era was it     Karl Malone or Jordan.

PFs who aren't defensive anchors will always have a Karl Malone ceiling.

6'8 PFs will do nothing but come up against a Jordan,Magic,Kobe,Shaq,Duncan and lose.

Barkley the same. One way great offensive players, little league impact.

TITLES matter when your career is done. Karl tried o ride Kobe and Shaq and somehow messed that up

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#24 WZRD

WZRD

The Underachiever

• 1,760 posts
  • Fan Since:mid 90's

Posted August 20, 2013 - 06:55 PM

SWAGGY

zombie

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 07:25 PM

sashapraying.jpg

Best practice player of all-time.

WE TALKIN BOUT PRACTICE. NOT A GAME. PRACTICE.

yo.

#26 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,354 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 09:31 PM

*swish*

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#27 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,092 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted August 25, 2013 - 06:35 AM

It's great that he is in the gym working and all.  That's a good sign.  Isn't that his job though?  And is the optimism in this thread based upon any reality or just wishful thinking?

So, based upon how he's making them now when the don't count, we can expect a marked improvement when they do?  What has he changed that would suggest that a career 42% volume shooter known for his poor shot selection and playing on his 4th team in 4 years will: 1.  shoot for a significantly higher percentage, 2.  take more intelligent shots in the flow of the offense, 3.  suddenly learn how to pass the ball?

Edited by LakerGeezer, August 25, 2013 - 06:38 AM.

Debbie Downer

#28 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,604 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 25, 2013 - 07:04 AM

it's assumed he'll shoot a higher percentage because of having a diminished role and being set up for a lot of wide open looks.

This of course could mean nothing(see Jodie Meeks last year)

But there's no question he "should" get easier shots.  So it's assumed that with the assortment of easier shots and this system that Young won't have as many difficult shots nor will he be asked to carry us on offense.

We'll see how things run and what kind of offense we'll be running but I expect his shot count to go down than it is when he's trying to lead an offense and we'll see how he responds to attacking late rotating defenses.    Hoping for the best.

Even so, I wouldn't mind him shooting 37% from three regardless but if he can get back to where he was a year ago when he was shooting 50%+ in those corner 3s he'll be a major help.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#29 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,092 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 07:27 AM

^ I don't think he has played heavy minutes the last couple of years.  I don't watch many Wizards/ 76er's games, but saw him a few times when he was on the Clippers.  Granted, that was only for 25 or so games, but he HAD alot of wide open looks and clanked them for the most part, outside of a few decent games when he was "on".  My biggest impression is that he just plays with a street ball mentality all the time.  He jacked up 3's with guys wide open for better shots.  He jacked up 3's many times when heavily guarded.

I don't think the Clippers even bothered to make him an offer at the end of that season.  That speaks volumes.

I really hope I'm wrong about this guy, but his track record says that we won't be happy a couple of months into the season.

Debbie Downer

#30 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,104 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:10 AM

Um no one won but MJ during his prime era...please go take a seat dude

Hakeem won. And Karl didnt. He didnt win before MJ started or during his hiatus or after.

In fact those type of players don't win.

In fact stop commenting on my [expletive]. U act like a lil girl. Get off my jock.

#31 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,104 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:31 AM

Jodie can only shoot threes. Nick Young can actually score.

FG % is an elementary way of judging players.

The fact that Kobe never shot 50 while Nash does should point out to you that efficiency doesn't always equal a better, more productive or more effective player.

If Nick Young puts up over 17 , and shoots 40+ %, he'll be a major asset on this team.

#32 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,092 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:34 AM

Jodie can only shoot threes. Nick Young can actually score.

FG % is an elementary way of judging players.

The fact that Kobe never shot 50 while Nash does should point out to you that efficiency doesn't always equal a better, more productive or more effective player.

If Nick Young puts up over 17 , and shoots 40+ %, he'll be a major asset on this team.

So shooting percentage is an "elementary" way to judge players and then you use it to gauge his value to the team?

Debbie Downer

#33 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,412 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted August 25, 2013 - 01:55 PM

uhhhhhhhhhhh . Karl Malone is a top 3 power forward in History. Is that dude serious???

#34 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,104 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 04:01 PM

uhhhhhhhhhhh . Karl Malone is a top 3 power forward in History. Is that dude serious???

And what does he have to show for it?

Blake Griffin's ceiling is Karl Malone and that's not enough

#35 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,113 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 25, 2013 - 05:18 PM

Wha???

Pau Gasol is GONE

#36 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,412 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted August 25, 2013 - 06:22 PM

Blake will never be Karl. And please don't hand me the rings crap. Some of the greatest have no rings. and Robert Horry has 7. Chuck Nevitt has 5 or so. Who is Chuck Nevitt you ask??  Exactly!! Wilt has 1. Julius has 1. Ewing zero Wilkins Zero. Nash Zero Stockton Zero. Situations, GM's, Owners, Politics, it all comes into play when it comes to ring. Not just how great ONE player is

And what does he have to show for it?

Blake Griffin's ceiling is Karl Malone and that's not enough

#37 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,104 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 09:56 PM

Those greats you named were great.

But it came down to Mj,Drex and Miller.

MJ got 6, Drex got 1, Miller got Zero

Kobe got 5, Wade got 3, Ray Allen got 2

Duncan got 4, he plays defense like a center, Hakeem was a great defender. 

was Stockton or Karl or Dominique or whomever?

So, no matter what you say, Blake at his best, even with a great jumper would not scare the league, and Karl never accomplished anything for Utah to be proud of in my opinion. Allowing Dennis Rodman to take him out of his mental game for a couple games, that's not impressive to me.

#38 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,604 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 02:24 PM

More Nick Young in the gym

https://vine.co/v/hipYgZgBKgn

#39 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,092 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 06:24 PM

You guys have drunk way too  much Nick Young kool aid.  Have you actually seen him play? 

Same guys who can't get enough of him when the shots don't matter will be screaming about his lousy shot selection when the season starts.

Can a NY homer please research his career assist numbers and then find a way to convince me that he is a team player?

Debbie Downer

#40 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,604 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 06:35 PM

You guys have drunk way too  much Nick Young kool aid.  Have you actually seen him play? 

Same guys who can't get enough of him when the shots don't matter will be screaming about his lousy shot selection when the season starts.

Can a NY homer please research his career assist numbers and then find a way to convince me that he is a team player?

I'm sure he'll be taking 20 shots a game being the scorer from our bench.  And I'm sure in a system that sets him up for wide open jumpers night after night that he'll decide "wide open? lol I'm gonna drive it!"

The true fact is that the system we'll be running will likely take advantage of his strengths more so than his weaknesses and won't be asking him to carry the offense for us every night unless Kobe is taking rest on a back to back.

So I'm not gonna worry so much about "jack up 30 ill advised shots" showing up. 

Especially with Kobe on the bench. 

if Kobe can bring the best out of people like Kwame Brown and Smush freaking Parker, then I don't expect Nick Young to do stupid things on a night in night out basis. 

I'll advised shot here and there but the offense doesn't require him to carry it, it requires him to finish plays and hit wide open shots, not iso 3/4 times.    

Like I say, I hated the idea of Nick Young being here at first, but when I realized that he'd probably be the most offensively talented wing that's been next to Kobe since his rookie year and that it would take less off Kobe's shoulders in a year he definitely needs some off his shoulders I was behind it.  

Long as Young plays hard and slows his game down I won't have issue.

I'll give him credit when he plays a controlled or good game and bash the heck out of him when he tries to rush it.  Hopefully we see the former more than the latter, and given this system that seems what it's built towards. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users