Photo

MDA Says Nash & Pau's Minutes May Be Limited

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

• 40,385 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 12:52 AM

http://www.sbnation....me-mike-dantoni

Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni may restrict the playing time of Pau Gasol and Steve Nash in the upcoming season to preserve the health of the two aging stars, D'Antoni told Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times.

D'Antoni said it's all in the interest of keeping the Lakers as healthy as possible after injuries derailed the team last season.

"I think Pau and Nash will be 100% before the season starts," D'Antoni said. "We'll try to go slow with them during preseason and make sure they're OK. We'll see how the season goes but maybe work with them to keep their minutes down to where it's manageable and keep them OK."

20121007_jel_se8_133.0_standard_783.0.jp
FULL ARTICLE inside link.

Edited by    , August 19, 2013 - 12:53 AM.

yo.

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,122 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 19, 2013 - 12:54 AM

Good to hear.   That's why I think Farmar is gonna get more minutes than we initially thought he would.  Having two point guard spots Blake and Farmar means Nash could pretty much sit out games and with Kaman, Pau can play less minutes as well. 

Our front office has done a brilliant job this off-season filling up at the spots where we're the oldest.   Two Point Guards deep, Two Shooting Guards deep, and a legitimate backup center.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 19, 2013 - 01:50 AM

No big deal, guys, we have Jordan Farmar and Chris Kaman.

#4 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,122 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 01:52 AM

No big deal, guys, we have Jordan Farmar and Chris Kaman.

could have been worse

act_chris_duhon.jpgla_g_sacre_b1_400.jpg

In all honesty though, it may not say much, but Kaman is probably the best backup center the Lakers have had since....um....I don't even know..

last backup Centers we've had are Sacre, Mbenga, Samaki Walker and Chris Mihm.    Kaman is way better than them so I'm not gonna fret none ^_^

Edited by Majesty, August 19, 2013 - 01:56 AM.

#5 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 19, 2013 - 01:59 AM

Back then it didn't matter having Odom rotating for Bynum and Pau was enough, and before that with Shaq who cares? Lol
Laker fan for life.

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,122 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 02:03 AM

Back then it didn't matter having Odom rotating for Bynum and Pau was enough, and before that with Shaq who cares? Lol

We could also afford to play Kobe 38 minutes a game back then too.

Not now.

Fact is the Lakers could afford to be top heavy back then and play their main stars heavy heavy minutes.  We can't afford it anymore.  So if we're going for depth and our stars' longevity it's smart that we have it at our 3 oldest positions.  All I'm saying :) 

We still need to sign one more 3/4 though.

But if our goal is to limit Kobe, Nash, Pau's minutes we're well equipped for it.   Nick Young/Jodie Meeks backing up Kobe, Farmar/Blake backing up Nash and Kaman backing up Gasol ain't a bad thing imo.

Edited by Majesty, August 19, 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#7 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,504 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:27 AM

Not sure how I feel about that.  Sounds good until you need that talent to bang out wins.  Pau playing sub 32MPG and Nash playing sub 30 means too much Hill/Kaman and Farmar and Blake on the floor.  That doesn't bode well considering the Western competition. 

Edited by Jody Smokes, August 19, 2013 - 04:28 AM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#8 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,356 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:30 AM

We're almost too well equipped to limit these guys' minutes, which is nice problem to have. But we dont really have any quality guys in our forward-rotation. Obviously we'll go with either Kobe, Young or Johnson as the starting 3 and perhaps Hill at the 4, but playing guys out of position is not a good idea throughout the season.

At the same time, defense is our main issue – not offense – and since guys like Ronnie Brewer and Tyrus Thomas are still available i think we should move on these guys. A stretch-4 like Beasley should he become available wouldn't hurt either.

#9 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,504 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:42 AM

Might as well.  Brewer would help defensively on the wing but Tyrus Thomas? Nah man.  He's not even worth a minimum.  He was drafted strictly off of athleticism and potential but he's 27.  That day has come and gone.

We're almost too well equipped to limit these guys' minutes, which is nice problem to have. But we dont really have any quality guys in our forward-rotation. Obviously we'll go with either Kobe, Young or Johnson as the starting 3 and perhaps Hill at the 4, but playing guys out of position is not a good idea throughout the season.

At the same time, defense is our main issue – not offense – and since guys like Ronnie Brewer and Tyrus Thomas are still available i think we should move on these guys. A stretch-4 like Beasley should he become available wouldn't hurt either.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,122 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:44 AM

Wouldn't mind Brewer or Beasley.

Far as Farmar goes.

In this system he probably excels.  Pick and rolls etc.  So I think it will be easier to rest Nash in "some" occasions.  More than we think.  

All and all Brewer or Beasley I'd be ecstatic about for our bench.

Seriously whens the last time we ever said the Lakers were almost "too well equipped" for anything =P  We'll be walking into this season with our deepest bench in years apparently :laughing:  

Edited by Majesty, August 19, 2013 - 04:45 AM.

#11 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,542 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted August 19, 2013 - 05:18 AM

Still need that 3/4. Man I wish we had Clark still. Would be perfect.

#12 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,504 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 05:55 AM

Exactly how are we well equipped or deep for that matter?  Kaman most definitely makes us good at the C/PF but there are serious question marks for the 3 position and PG.  Having bodies doesnt exactly make a team "deep".  Starter quality or fringe starters do.  The Clippers are deep at the 3 and 2 and even the PG position.   Outside of Pau/Kaman and Hill and maybe Kobe/Young.  Not sure where the Lakers are a deep team as far as quality goes. 

Wouldn't mind Brewer or Beasley.

Far as Farmar goes.

In this system he probably excels.  Pick and rolls etc.  So I think it will be easier to rest Nash in "some" occasions.  More than we think.  

All and all Brewer or Beasley I'd be ecstatic about for our bench.

Seriously whens the last time we ever said the Lakers were almost "too well equipped" for anything =P  We'll be walking into this season with our deepest bench in years apparently :laughing:  

#13 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,504 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 06:04 AM

Having depth means guys can be interchangeable at some point if need be.  Young cannot even come close to Kobe's production.  Kaman could give us what Pau does on a lot of nights but Farmar and Blake aren't even as good as a banged up Nash and Wes Johnson is still a huge ?

#14 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,310 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted August 19, 2013 - 06:20 AM

i hope this becomes true, i dont wanna see kobe playing like last season, too many minutes... we shall see

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#15 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:27 AM

I don't understand the correlation between limiting minutes and protecting a player from injury or health-related concerns.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#16 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,015 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 19, 2013 - 08:36 AM

Kaman could give us what Pau does on a lot of nights

So Kaman could give us nothing?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#17 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,504 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 09:42 AM

I understand it to agree.  Kobe shouldnt be playing 38MPG but he also can't be protected from injury by playing 32MPG either.  The playoffs is a totally diff beast anyway.  Being "deep" means 0 in the playoffs.

I don't understand the correlation between limiting minutes and protecting a player from injury or health-related concerns.

#18 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,277 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted August 19, 2013 - 10:26 AM

You mean he's going to limit the minutes of 2 aging players in order to keep them healthy?

This guy is a genius I tell you. Where he comes up with this stuff, I don't know, but we are really lucky he's on our side.

Keep it up, coach.

Edited by Triple Ocho, August 19, 2013 - 10:27 AM.

EAT
SLEEP
CONQUER
REPEAT

#19 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,305 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 19, 2013 - 11:44 AM

Having depth means guys can be interchangeable at some point if need be.  Young cannot even come close to Kobe's production.  Kaman could give us what Pau does on a lot of nights but Farmar and Blake aren't even as good as a banged up Nash and Wes Johnson is still a huge ?

I have a significantly lower definition of "depth." I define a deep bench as players who can come in and consistently provide some sort of production, not only limited to offense. 

Farmar (backing up Nash) can play average defense and actually worked on improving it overseas. Of course the competition there is different, but the defensive mindset of an individual player should remain the same. Also, Farmar is built for MDA's system. A young player who brings speed and athleticism, but most importantly someone who has experienced playing in the NBA finals. 

Nick Young (I'm going to assume he'll be backing up Kobe rather than starting at the 3) can go on fire. His only problem is consistency. His main job will be to give Kobe some rest, come in, and shoot some jumpers or use his speed to get a layup/dunk. You can put Kobe on any team, and no backup SG will be able to constantly produce Kobe's production.

Kaman (backing up Gasol) will definitely be able to shoot some midrange jumpers, play in the post, grab some rebounds, etc. The only problem is Kaman is also injury prone. But splitting minutes between Gasol and Kaman should hopefully prevent recurring injuries.

Those are three capable players backing up our big three. I would much rather have them than a combination of Duhon, Meeks (mainly just a three point shooter), and Sacre. 

Elias Harris and Ryan Kelly are unproven potential at this point. Signing Ronnie Brewer at the 3 or Lamar Odom at the 4 would provide even more depth. Just players that can come in and either maintain the difference in score or increase it in the Laker's favor. Often times last year we'd see the bench come in, and the opposing team would either catch up or build upon their lead. We have players that can come in and actually produce. Players that actually want to produce for the LA Lakers.

Edited by Clutch Factor, August 19, 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#20 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,234 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted August 19, 2013 - 12:14 PM

Some injuries are freak accidents and those won't be avoided by limiting playing time, sure. But others are caused by wear and tear and fatigue can also increase the likelihood of injury.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users