Photo

Nick Young and Wesley Johnson working out at Lakers’ practice facility

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,176 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 17, 2013 - 02:38 PM

I definitely agree with you.

We've all seen what Nick Young could possibly do and maybe he has a bit more to prove but Wes Johnson can be something.

He's got basically the ideal body and athleticism to be versatile and hopefully he develops his game this year. 

yeah not just that but Kobe holds Nick Young in high esteem

When asked who has that "Kobe gene" and Kobe potential in the Jimmy Kimmel sit down, for Kobe to name Nick Young as one of those players that has that kind of potential and has the "killer" gene must be a HUGE compliment and show how much he believes in him.    Hopefully Nick Young takes that to heart and works hard to prove Kobe right. 

Wes Johnson has potential to be that "guy" the Ariza type guy that can defend well and when he scores it comes out of nowhere, the kind of guy that makes an imprint on games eventhough he isn't a star. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#22 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,020 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted August 18, 2013 - 10:22 AM

yeah not just that but Kobe holds Nick Young in high esteem

When asked who has that "Kobe gene" and Kobe potential in the Jimmy Kimmel sit down, for Kobe to name Nick Young as one of those players that has that kind of potential and has the "killer" gene must be a HUGE compliment and show how much he believes in him.    Hopefully Nick Young takes that to heart and works hard to prove Kobe right. 

Wes Johnson has potential to be that "guy" the Ariza type guy that can defend well and when he scores it comes out of nowhere, the kind of guy that makes an imprint on games eventhough he isn't a star. 

i think saying he has Ariza potential is fair(which yall should take and be 100% happy w/ this as his max). but yes,thats max - a very impactful intagible player. imo,,, hes more likely to be a Matt Barnes which was mostly Ariza's style with us but less impactful- play solid D, score on cuts/open Js , nothing off the dribble.

either way, hes gunna be an intagible player. so the hope of him scoring more than 15 ppg in the next few years is CRAZY, you guys must have a man crush on him or something; or a player crush, which the people who have him labeled as a bust got over a couple realllly bad seasons ago.

most of the time, only skilled players score 15 ppg+ Wesley is an intangable player. ////hes a wing who cant put the ball on the floor for more than one dribble,,cmon.

the nick young's are the players who score 15+ 20+. they create their own shots; they can dribble. Wesley hasnt shown that, not even in his 15 ppg month he had last year;;; he was a one dribble pullup guy, which even matt barnes does,,,and he scored off cuts,open Js, and in transition, like Barnes..

imo this is just a realistic perspective, considering his career body of work; and the skill hes shown(even recently)

Edited by iDreamShake, August 18, 2013 - 10:32 AM.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#23 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,176 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 12:43 PM

i think saying he has Ariza potential is fair(which yall should take and be 100% happy w/ this as his max). but yes,thats max - a very impactful intagible player. imo,,, hes more likely to be a Matt Barnes which was mostly Ariza's style with us but less impactful- play solid D, score on cuts/open Js , nothing off the dribble.

either way, hes gunna be an intagible player. so the hope of him scoring more than 15 ppg in the next few years is CRAZY, you guys must have a man crush on him or something; or a player crush, which the people who have him labeled as a bust got over a couple realllly bad seasons ago.

most of the time, only skilled players score 15 ppg+ Wesley is an intangable player. ////hes a wing who cant put the ball on the floor for more than one dribble,,cmon.

the nick young's are the players who score 15+ 20+. they create their own shots; they can dribble. Wesley hasnt shown that, not even in his 15 ppg month he had last year;;; he was a one dribble pullup guy, which even matt barnes does,,,and he scored off cuts,open Js, and in transition, like Barnes..

imo this is just a realistic perspective, considering his career body of work; and the skill hes shown(even recently)

Hey if Wes gave us 15ppg with hustle and defense as a starter at his ceiling I'd have no complaints whatsoever lol

#24 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,020 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hey if Wes gave us 15ppg with hustle and defense as a starter at his ceiling I'd have no complaints whatsoever lol

exactly. people are saying they want Wes to be a boarderline all star/20ppg scorer tho. hes not the skilled player to do that; hes an intangible player.thats all im sayin

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#25 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,020 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 01:19 PM

I hope Wes develops into a star

@MAJESTY ... this is what im talking about.

and you "liked" this.

intangible players dont become stars. period

#26 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,176 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 01:37 PM

exactly. people are saying they want Wes to be a boarderline all star/20ppg scorer tho. hes not the skilled player to do that; hes an intangible player.thats all im sayin

Yeah.  I would love for Wes to develop into a star but the reality is that if his ceiling was a 15 ppg hustler and defender I wouldn't complain or be mad about it lol

If he can do what Ariza did I'll be happy.   

Now that's not to say if he did suddenly transform into an all-star after spending time in Kobe's personal Hyperbolic Time Chamber I would be ecstatic too :laughing:      But I grasp the reality of what his ceiling may be for us and I'm fine with it :)    If he became more than that I'd be just as happy, but 15 ppg hustle/rebound intangible guy, I would love as well.    Just want him to be productive and to STAY HEALTHY at the end of the day above all else.

#27 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,020 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 01:40 PM

wesley 13

young 18

nash 12

kobe 23

pau 16

blake 5

Hill 9

others if played 4 ppg.

Not sure about Wesley and Nash though

total = 100 ppg

would be good.

#28 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,828 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 19, 2013 - 09:54 PM

lmao. i hope he just developes into a contributer/ a player that can avg 12 ppg throughout a whole season. lolll

nick young got the star potential. Wes aint got the skill

Nick Young is a one-dimensional scorer already 28 years old. He's not going to be a star, but that's the whole problem IMO. He's been supposed to be the go-to scorer on many of the teams he's played on, and failed. But as a scorer off the bench, like Jamal Crawford or JR Smith, he could have a lot of success.  

Wes is 26 and has the smarts and physique to be a good defender and he should focus on being the next Bruce Bowen, who didn't do [expletive] in the league until he was 30.

If they both try to be Kobe Bryant, they'll fail. If they try to be Crawford and Bowen, they could have success. Maybe.

#29 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,178 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 20, 2013 - 06:55 AM

@MAJESTY ... this is what im talking about.

and you "liked" this.

intangible players dont become stars. period

Well excuuuuuuuuse me. Who's to say what could happen...that's why I said I HOPE...

Wes could add more skills, could add more muscle, learn a thing or two from Kobe...who knows? Hell, If Pau Gasol can fall off the face of the basketball planet, then Wesley Johnson COULD turn into a star.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#30 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,176 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 07:04 AM

Well excuuuuuuuuse me.

excuse_me.jpg

Edited by Majesty, August 20, 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#31 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,572 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted August 20, 2013 - 01:36 PM

I wish Kobe was in the gym with these cats. 

2hf753r.jpg

#32 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,020 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Well excuuuuuuuuse me. Who's to say what could happen...that's why I said I HOPE...

Wes could add more skills, could add more muscle, learn a thing or two from Kobe...who knows? Hell, If Pau Gasol can fall off the face of the basketball planet, then Wesley Johnson COULD turn into a star.

bro, your Pau argument is ridiculous - he fell off because he succeeded as a post player ;;;then was turned into a jumpshooter.

and i can hope for crazy things that have absolutely nothing backing them up, too. but i dont.

intangible players dont become stars...

why dont you hope that he can just be productive; thats the next step. hoping that a player will become a star ,who hasnt even been productive for most of his career - its more than a reach.

ur hilarious dude

Edited by iDreamShake, August 20, 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#33 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,798 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:47 PM

I wish Kobe was in the gym with these cats. 

He is, Kobe runs on the treadmill and the youngins go practice on the court.

#34 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 689 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted August 20, 2013 - 05:53 PM

bro, your Pau argument is ridiculous - he fell off because he succeeded as a post player ;;;then was turned into a jumpshooter.

He fell off for a bunch of reasons, whether it was personal (relationship drama), physical (injuries), professional (his role), or emotional (trade), but the fact remains that he's a ghost of his 2008-10 self. Unfortunate, but it happened. 

As for Wes, nothing wrong with hoping he can break out. He's young, athletic, and he could very well turn into a star, however unlikely it seems. Hell, I'd be extremely happy if he became the defensive star this team has been lacking for years. Lakers haven't had an effective perimeter stopper in forever.

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

#35 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,178 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 08:45 PM

and i can hope for crazy things that have absolutely nothing backing them up, too. but i dont.

intangible players dont become stars...

why dont you hope that he can just be productive; thats the next step. hoping that a player will become a star ,who hasnt even been productive for most of his career - its more than a reach.

ur hilarious dude

:facepalm: These guys are all the same.

I'm not interested in "whys"...why is [expletive]ing irrelevant. The only "why" that matters tho is that PAU GASOL chose to fall off the face of the [expletive]ing planet. No one "turned" Pau into anything. Pau Gasol has held the low post all by his lonesome NUMEROUS times throughout ball games and squanders that position because he sucks...he's weak...he's soft. 

The premise of what I said stands. If a former all star caliber player can turn into a d-league player, then I have no reason NOT to believe that a young talented player like Wes Johnson can blossom into something more. You getting worked up because I said I HOPE Johnson develops into a star, yet here you are talking about:

he fell off because he succeeded as a post player ;;;then was turned into a jumpshooter.

LMAO! Pau Gasol apologists say the dumbest [expletive]. So, let me get this straight...Pau Gasol fell off because he...succeeded? wha??? The jump-shooter thing...that lie needs to stop. I'm sorry but that's bull[expletive]. You telling me that Phil Jackson, Mike Brown, AND Mike D'Antoni told Pau Gasol to camp out at and beyond the FT line for the sole purpose of shooting jumpers? lol. Ok, I can see Mike D'Antoni telling him that and I can also see Pau Gasol happily accepting that "responsibility" seeing as how he's allergic to physicality. Do you recall seeing numerous moments in which Pau Gasol had pretty good low post position and proceeded to relinquish that position? For a jumper? Must have Mike D'Antoni in his head, huh? 

And I haven't even touched on his pathetic defense...ugh what a sorry ass player he has become. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,556 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 02:54 AM

Can the video be seen anywhere anyone?

yo.

#37 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,176 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 02:57 AM

Can the video be seen anywhere anyone?

ill see what I can do :)

#38 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,020 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 08:53 AM

:facepalm: These guys are all the same.

I'm not interested in "whys"...why is [expletive]ing irrelevant. The only "why" that matters tho is that PAU GASOL chose to fall off the face of the [expletive]ing planet. No one "turned" Pau into anything. Pau Gasol has held the low post all by his lonesome NUMEROUS times throughout ball games and squanders that position because he sucks...he's weak...he's soft. 

The premise of what I said stands. If a former all star caliber player can turn into a d-league player, then I have no reason NOT to believe that a young talented player like Wes Johnson can blossom into something more. You getting worked up because I said I HOPE Johnson develops into a star, yet here you are talking about:

LMAO! Pau Gasol apologists say the dumbest [expletive]. So, let me get this straight...Pau Gasol fell off because he...succeeded? wha??? The jump-shooter thing...that lie needs to stop. I'm sorry but that's bull[expletive]. You telling me that Phil Jackson, Mike Brown, AND Mike D'Antoni told Pau Gasol to camp out at and beyond the FT line for the sole purpose of shooting jumpers? lol. Ok, I can see Mike D'Antoni telling him that and I can also see Pau Gasol happily accepting that "responsibility" seeing as how he's allergic to physicality. Do you recall seeing numerous moments in which Pau Gasol had pretty good low post position and proceeded to relinquish that position? For a jumper? Must have Mike D'Antoni in his head, huh? 

And I haven't even touched on his pathetic defense...ugh what a sorry ass player he has become. 

man. u trippin. pau still has absolutely nothing to do with Wes Johnson. a farther comparison than for instance - Wes to an upward trending wing player.  . . . which is still irrelevent. SMH

and Pau apologists are crazy becuase we dont think he has ghosts in his head; but that he actually declined so dramatically because he scored 80% of his points in the post then was turned into a jumpshooter???

the stretch when dwight was out, and Pau got more post touches, did Pau's points not go up? still believe in ghosts?

has Pau declined? sure, but the main reason is obvious to why his decline was so severe.

Edited by iDreamShake, August 21, 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#39 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,178 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:05 AM

man. u trippin. pau still has absolutely nothing to do with Wes Johnson. a farther comparison than for instance - Wes to an upward trending wing player.  . . . which is still irrelevent. SMH

and Pau apologists are crazy becuase we dont think he has ghosts in his head; but that he actually declined so dramatically because he scored 80% of his points in the post then was turned into a jumpshooter???

the stretch when dwight was out, and Pau got more post touches, did Pau's points not go up? still believe in ghosts?

has Pau declined? sure, but the main reason is obvious to why his decline was so severe.

Nah, I'm completely lucid. I said I hope Wes develops into a star...that didn't sit too well with you for whatever reason. 

Now, when I said Wes will be better than Pau...I'm not talking about totality since Pau has been in the league for a far longer time. I'm saying that Wesley Johnson will be better than the Pau Gasol we've seen over the last few seasons. If all a 20 million dollar seven footer can average is 14/9/4/47% for a season, then surely a minimum wage player like Wesley Johnson can get close or even surpass those numbers, right? And he won't be putting in 34 MPG to do it either. 

What part of Phil Jackson, Mike Brown, and Mike D'Antoni do you not understand? Don't give me that bull[expletive] because 3 different professional ball coaches did not "turn" Pau Gasol into anything. And they definitely didn't cause Pau Gasol to get raped on the defensive side of the ball. Pau Gasol's short-comings are his faults and his faults alone. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#40 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,020 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:35 AM

Nah, I'm completely lucid. I said I hope Wes develops into a star...that didn't sit too well with you for whatever reason. 

Now, when I said Wes will be better than Pau...I'm not talking about totality since Pau has been in the league for a far longer time. I'm saying that Wesley Johnson will be better than the Pau Gasol we've seen over the last few seasons. If all a 20 million dollar seven footer can average is 14/9/4/47% for a season, then surely a minimum wage player like Wesley Johnson can get close or even surpass those numbers, right? And he won't be putting in 34 MPG to do it either. 

What part of Phil Jackson, Mike Brown, and Mike D'Antoni do you not understand? Don't give me that bull[expletive] because 3 different professional ball coaches did not "turn" Pau Gasol into anything. And they definitely didn't cause Pau Gasol to get raped on the defensive side of the ball. Pau Gasol's short-comings are his faults and his faults alone. 

um, 3 different coaches all had Pau shooting jumpers. lol uuuhhhh ......

the Wesley Johnson "star" Genie wish didnt sit well with me ,becuase its a Genie wish.

low skilled wing players dont turn into stars. extremely low producing players dont turn into stars, their Genie wish gets used up so they get turned into consistent contributers, and thats all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users