Jim Buss on Dwight Howard: "He was never really a Laker."

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 David

David

Superstar

• 8,014 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 07:35 PM

Stephen A Smith needs to shut the hell up. When something positive happens to the Lakers, the media nor the fans give credit to Jimmy. Now, all of a sudden, a star leaves, it is Jimmy's fault. 

Jimmy hired Mike Brown because the all-time great, Jerry West, scheduled to interview him for the Warriors. Jimmy, knowing West's superior basketball knowledge, thought that there has to be something good about Brown because the great Jerry West was recruiting him. That is why the Lakers acted quickly and offered Brown a contract, so the Warriors couldn't get him. He realized it was a bone-head decision, which is why he fired him 5 games into the second season.

Also, when are people going to understand that Mike D'Antoni decision was made by Dr. Buss? 

Dwight Howard never wanted to be here. He came here thinking he was going to be "carried" to a championship. He never wanted to be "the guy." He was scared of the spotlight. He was scared of failing. 

While people attack Jimmy, I actually am proud he came out and defend the franchise we all love and care about. The Lakers have a plan, and none of us here know what it is. They rebounded well this off-season from Howard's departure.  

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#42 Galácticos

Galácticos

Kings

• 2,959 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Young

Posted August 15, 2013 - 09:23 PM

Why are we still talking about Dwight.   :sick:

CHAD.jpg

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#43 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 16, 2013 - 03:07 AM

I don't think there is sabotage but I strongly feel that since Jeanie is being plugged by Phil she is in more in tune with a great bball mind and seems to be more sensible to the environment while Jim seems to have this approach that we aren't changing and its going to stay the way it is b/c we are the Lakers.

Rome fell after 200 some odd years and a lot of our fans sound like Romans right before the ish hit the fan.  There are major changes that need to be made in this front office philosophy wise if they plan on contending again.

In my opinion, it feels like Jimmy is the one trying to change the Lakers in some radical ways with coaching changes etc., with the exception of keeping Kobe as our primary option. I feel like it's Jeanie who wants to rigidly stick to our old ways that has worked for us in the past. Neither of them are wrong per say, but I believe their differing philosophies will eventually help us climb back to the top.  

#44 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,340 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 16, 2013 - 06:15 AM

In my opinion, it feels like Jimmy is the one trying to change the Lakers in some radical ways with coaching changes etc., with the exception of keeping Kobe as our primary option. I feel like it's Jeanie who wants to rigidly stick to our old ways that has worked for us in the past. Neither of them are wrong per say, but I believe their differing philosophies will eventually help us climb back to the top.  

Phil retired and Dr. Buss was still alive. They all liked Mike Brown but he couldn't handle the stars especially Dwight.

Dr. Buss wanted D'Antoni or at least a form of Showtime was one of his DYING WISHES. 

But u guys are so result-based that you blame coaches and Jim Buss for Gasol being injured, Dwight being injured, Kobe not being the best player in the game any more, Steve Nash's leg break and etc

#45 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,938 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 16, 2013 - 07:12 AM

Not sure if that's everyone.  I blame them specifically Jim AND Mitch for the things that didn't happen that tend to be ignored.  The Bynum/Pau combo was never a successful one and was rarely used by Phil.  When Bynum started to emerge they had 2 options, trade him or Pau for value.  After the Cp3 trade fell through they should have tried to trade Pau directly to Houston and fleeced them for the talent. 

Lets revisit the CP3 trade.  If you leave out the CP3 variable we essentially gave up Pau for Kmart2, Dragic and Scola.  Add LO into the mix you could have gotten a 3rd team involved for some value.  Instead they pulled back and traded LO for a pick they used to get Jordan Hill. 

No way we get that type of value for Pau now.  That would have been more than enough to keep us steady and would have allowed Bynum to sink or swim alone or like we did trade him for D12. Dragic negates the need to spend future lottery picks on Nash and Kmart negates the need for bench signings like Meeks and gives Kobe a breather in minutes. 

There were also other Pau scenario's in the fold they refused to pull the trigger on that were good value.  Possibly due to Kobe's influence but who cares its about the Lakers as a whole not what he wants.

Phil retired and Dr. Buss was still alive. They all liked Mike Brown but he couldn't handle the stars especially Dwight.

Dr. Buss wanted D'Antoni or at least a form of Showtime was one of his DYING WISHES. 

But u guys are so result-based that you blame coaches and Jim Buss for Gasol being injured, Dwight being injured, Kobe not being the best player in the game any more, Steve Nash's leg break and etc

Edited by Jody Smokes, August 16, 2013 - 07:17 AM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#46 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,005 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 16, 2013 - 07:16 AM

There were also other Pau scenario's in the fold they refused to pull the trigger on that were good value.  Possibly due to Kobe's influence but who cares its about the Lakers as a whole not what he wants.

If this is true, and we all know how much of a hard-on Kobe has for Pau, then Kobe sabotaged his own chances of winning more championships.

Pau Gasol is TRASH

#47 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,938 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 07:48 AM

Kobe for as great as he is, is way too stubborn.  This is a guy that wants Derek Fisher back in 2013.  He feels he could probably win it all with the 2009 lineup in 2013.   Pride comes before the fall. 

If this is true, and we all know how much of a hard-on Kobe has for Pau, then Kobe sabotaged his own chances of winning more championships.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#48 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,790 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 16, 2013 - 11:48 AM

Pretty obvious we kept Pau because of the uncertainty around Dwight.

pretty simple really.  You can turn it into some dynasty stuff if you want to.  But if Kobe had such control Fisher and Odom would still be here.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#49 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 4,675 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 16, 2013 - 12:01 PM

Pretty obvious we kept Pau because of the uncertainty around Dwight.

pretty simple really.  You can turn it into some dynasty stuff if you want to.  But if Kobe had such control Fisher and Odom would still be here.

And Brian Shaw or Phil Jackson would be the head coach.

#50 epicwolf

epicwolf

Off The Bench

• 2,652 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted August 16, 2013 - 12:11 PM

Shouldn't blame Jim for hiring of MDA instead of Phil Jackson.  How come nobody talks about Jerry Buss hatred for  Phil Jackson? Do you guys know the story behind that? Do I need to tell you about it? It seems to me that Jim will always get blame for everything. I did blame him for some things but not the hiring of MDA.  It was Jerry's fault. It was Jerry's idea to hire MDA.  Jim was the one who point out Phil Jackson to Jerry but Jerry didn't really want to.

Imagine your daughter dating a guy who wants to take control over your creation and your company. Remember when Phil said he wanted a piece of the lakers?. Not only that, you know your daughter loves the guy so she wanted to marry him but that guy toying with her for a long time and finally engage to her right when you about to pass away. You can't force the guy to marry your daughter but how would you feel if that person is just messing with your daughters heart like that? Jeanie want Phil to propose to her for a long time but Phil doesnt want to.   And not only that, the  whole nation give credit solely to that guy who is dating your daughter for the success of your franchise. A franchise that took you hard work and dedication for years to built and you get very little credit with the 3 championships from shaq and kobe and two championships from kobe and pau. All the credit goes into the guy your daughter date?  So you guys don't think Jerry Buss have a little animosity against Phil?  Just because phil dating his daughter doesnt mean he likes that guy.

So you can't blame Jim Buss for hiring MDA.  There are things you can blame him for but not that.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#51 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,340 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 12:11 PM

Kobe was down for Pau for CP3, reports of Kobe picking up Chris from the airport..

So, I feel like he knows that hurt Pau and he compensates...plus the whole he "ran Shaq away" so he wants to avoid that stigma

#52 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 4,675 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 16, 2013 - 12:14 PM

Kobe was down for Pau for CP3, reports of Kobe picking up Chris from the airport..

So, I feel like he knows that hurt Pau and he compensates...plus the whole he "ran Shaq away" so he wants to avoid that stigma

CP3 called him and told Kobe he was coming to the Lakers. It surprised Kobe, especially when he thought that Pau, Lamar, etc. would be leaving. CP3 calls Kobe 30 minutes later and tells him about David Stern vetoing it and how he was pissed. xD

#53 epicwolf

epicwolf

Off The Bench

• 2,652 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted August 16, 2013 - 12:17 PM

Kobe and Pau had friction before. Its not like they always get along. Remember the girlfriend thing? 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#54 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,340 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 12:57 PM

Lets revisit the CP3 trade.  If you leave out the CP3 variable we essentially gave up Pau for Kmart2, Dragic and Scola.  Add LO into the mix you could have gotten a 3rd team involved for some value.  Instead they pulled back and traded LO for a pick they used to get Jordan Hill. 

No way we get that type of value for Pau now.  That would have been more than enough to keep us steady and would have allowed Bynum to sink or swim alone or like we did trade him for D12. Dragic negates the need to spend future lottery picks on Nash and Kmart negates the need for bench signings like Meeks and gives Kobe a breather in minutes. 

K Mart? I would say as a GM, maybe not as a fan per se, but Nick Young for 1 million is a much better deal for that production. In fact Nick,Meeks,Wes all are less than Kmart combined. 

Dragic, see what Lin is with Harden, I much rather have nash. Maybe a lot of people will disagree but I like our PG situation and our Sg situation.

Scola and Kaman or Pau and kaman/ Hill or Lamar?

I think unless we could have gotten josh Smith or Love for sure, maybe even Rondo, then we held him too long, but if if was those type of 3 okay players for a good proven player, then you seem to be losing.

The bottom line is Lakers fans are much too idealistic, especially you.

NAME ME A TEAM

That has SHOWN THAT IT IS POSSIBLE MORE THAN IN THEORY to BE REAL CONTENDERS for MORE THAN FOUR OR FIVE YEARS IN A ROW.

#55 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,524 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted August 16, 2013 - 01:17 PM

As little regard as I have for Jim Buss, I have even less for Dwight at this point.  The Orlando fans warned is, take a look at their forums.  I actually have to agree with Jim on this one.

#56 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,938 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 02:18 PM

Dude you are all over the damn place.  We are talking about what would have been 2 totally different rosters.  Nick Young, Wes and Meeks dont happen if we have those trades during that time and there is no point in entertaining anyone that thinks Nick Young is as good as Kmart regardless of the salary.  Young shot 39% with the Clippers

K Mart? I would say as a GM, maybe not as a fan per se, but Nick Young for 1 million is a much better deal for that production. In fact Nick,Meeks,Wes all are less than Kmart combined. 

Dragic, see what Lin is with Harden, I much rather have nash. Maybe a lot of people will disagree but I like our PG situation and our Sg situation.

I think unless we could have gotten josh Smith or Love for sure, maybe even Rondo, then we held him too long, but if if was those type of 3 okay players for a good proven player, then you seem to be losing.

NAME ME A TEAM

That has SHOWN THAT IT IS POSSIBLE MORE THAN IN THEORY to BE REAL CONTENDERS for MORE THAN FOUR OR FIVE YEARS IN A ROW.

#57 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,938 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 02:30 PM

You fail to realize that if that Htown trade goes through the Harden acquistion doesnt happen and Dwight is less likely to leave due to having a better roster and not having the houston option with Harden.  So essentially you'd be looking at D12, Scola, insert random 3 this year, Kobe and Dragic.  Plenty of unknowns but what is know that we would have been much better off financially and roster wise. 

NAME ME A TEAM

#58 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,790 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 16, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Dude you are all over the damn place.  We are talking about what would have been 2 totally different rosters.  Nick Young, Wes and Meeks dont happen if we have those trades during that time and there is no point in entertaining anyone that thinks Nick Young is as good as Kmart regardless of the salary.  Young shot 39% with the Clippers

how far did the Clippers get in the playoffs without Young against the same team? 

:)

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#59 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 16, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Whoa, buddy. Where did I blame Jim Buss for anything? 

#60 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

Rookie

• 392 posts
  • Name:Justin Timberlake fanboy

Posted August 16, 2013 - 07:32 PM

how far did the Clippers get in the playoffs without Young against the same team? 

:)

Are you trying to say that Young was the reason that the Clippers lost to the Grizzles this year as opposed to winning the year before?  :woot:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users