#1 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted August 14, 2013 - 04:28 PM

http://www.latimes.c...0,1839552.story

Lakers owners/executives Jim and Jeanie Buss have different views on the exit of Dwight Howard. "He was never really a Laker," Jim said to Ric Bucher of The Hollywood Reporter.

"He was just passing through." "It's disappointing that Dwight isn't here," Jeanie said. "I feel like we failed him." Howard, who was a free agent this off-season, signed a long-term deal with the Houston Rockets.

The Lakers' longtime owner had been Dr. Jerry Buss, who died in February from cancer-related complications. His ownership was passed on to two of his six children, with Jim in charge of basketball operations and Jeanie in charge of business. "My brother ultimately makes the [basketball] decisions,” said Jeanie. “I defer and will continue to defer because that’s what my dad believed would be successful."

Edited by magicbalala245, August 14, 2013 - 04:29 PM.

Posted Image

#2 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,172 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted August 14, 2013 - 04:31 PM

I think you could tell from the start but most people didn't want to believe it, as the season progressed almost everyone turned on him, so on and so forth up until he finally left.

and talk about a major LOL at this

Jeanie said. "I feel like we failed him."

How did "we" fail him?

EyMlHkX.jpg

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,141 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 14, 2013 - 04:32 PM

He was just passing through, even Mitch said they were preparing in case they had him on a one year rental.  They were disappointed he left but it was nothing they weren't prepared for.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#4 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,919 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted August 14, 2013 - 04:32 PM

We didn't fail him, he failed us.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#5 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,141 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 04:39 PM

When a guy is disengaged during the course of the game, when he refuses to run pick and roll with your two best pick and roll initiators(Nash and Kobe)  when he wants to do post ups because he wants to prove Shaq wrong but compromises his teammates.

Gets pissed because he is most effective in pick and roll but doesn't want to admit it..

Says the "system" isn't for him and then runs to Houston that runs the exact same system.

Is scared to death that Kobe is gonna play another 3 years cause he realizes he'll never play at a high enough level to take the team from Kobe(like what LeBron did to Wade)

Runs away.

Smiles at every loss....

Yeah he never had the Laker mentality.  Best big man in the game, but the first that never had the mentality to be one of the all time greats.  His jersey will never hang in the rafters and he is "already a winner"

Yep... Jim's spot on.

Jeanie is being too nice.

#6 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,040 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted August 14, 2013 - 04:44 PM

Ask yourself this: when was the last time a team with 4 Future Hall Of Famers didn' t at least make it to the Conference Finals? Dwight Howard was The Cancer in that locker room. And those impressions of his teammates behind their backs didn't help.

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#7 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,130 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted August 14, 2013 - 05:03 PM

Pretty much True, but imo we didn't cater to him that much

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#8 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,141 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 05:12 PM

Ask yourself this: when was the last time a team with 4 Future Hall Of Famers didn' t at least make it to the Conference Finals? Dwight Howard was The Cancer in that locker room. And those impressions of his teammates behind their backs didn't help.

Yes... Kobe busting his butt to get them to the playoffs and Dwight deciding "meh I don't wanna pick and roll with Nash or Kobe and make their lives easier... I'm gonna try to post up 90% of the time to prove to Shaq I can and half commit on rolls and not at all on screens." 

saying the system just ain't for him which is BS cause he leaves to a team that runs that exact system.

Seriously...

What if Bynum was doing that?    Despite any kind of stats he'd put up would we all be jumping on him? 

Edited by Majesty, August 14, 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#9 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,382 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 14, 2013 - 05:32 PM

Dwight was never a Laker. 

He couldn't handle the pressure. He's irresolute almost every time. He's trying to lessen the pressure by exclaiming how "He's a winner" and how his learning from Hakeem and Mchale doesn't mean "he will emulate them but rather pick a thing or two." 

Man up, bro.

• 40,400 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:57 PM

We didn't fail him, he failed us.

It goes both ways. We also failed him by not equipping him with an actual coach who would specialize in his strengths and get the best out of him. Other than the pick & roll, everything else was the complete opposite. MDA's never been about post play nor defense and that's no secret.

yo.

#11 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,141 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 08:39 PM

It goes both ways. We also failed him by not equipping him with an actual coach who would specialize in his strengths and get the best out of him. Other than the pick & roll, everything else was the complete opposite. MDA's never been about post play nor defense and that's no secret.

Pick and Roll was a main staple of what Dwight is capable of, playing 4 out 1 in with Dwight  is what pushed Pau on the perimeter, and if he truly wanted Gasol gone so he could be the only one in the post and wanted a stretch 4 then it never would have worked with Pau.  Dwight didn't want anyone else in the post with him.

So to give Dwight what he wanted we'd be feeding him in the post and getting rid of Gasol.    We didn't have the players to play that kind of style but he out and out refused to run what we WERE built for which was pick and roll which he COULD do very well. 

But he didn't want that, he wanted his cake and eating it too.   Pretty much why they decided along with his locker room drama and things he said in the team meeting particularly to his teammates the Lakers ultimately decided he wasn't worth it. 

Then he leaves and goes "even if I don't win a ring I'm a winner' and the Lakers shake their heads and go "dodged one"

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 08:40 PM

While I agree with most of what you said, the only part I disagree is where you say "specialize" in his strengths. 

Dwight's strength has always been in the pick and roll, never in post play.  Although, selecting Phil Jackson would have put Dwight where he WANTED to be.  

The only 'mistake' we made was not catering to his every need, which included the system and eventually getting rid of Kobe Bryant.  Although I do think we were right to not cater to him since he had done anything to deserve that treatment yet. 

#13 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,141 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 08:42 PM

While I agree with most of what you said, the only part I disagree is where you say "specialize" in his strengths. 

Dwight's strength has always been in the pick and roll, never in post play.  Although, selecting Phil Jackson would have put Dwight where he WANTED to be.  

The only mistake we made was not catering to his every need, which included the system and eventually getting rid of Kobe Bryant. 

As well as Pau Gasol. (unless he became a stretch 4)

no one was happier about that Ryan Anderson for Pau Gasol talk at the start of the season than was Dwiight. 

He goes to the Rockets who run the exact same style but are surrounded by more 3 point shooters, except ASik who wants nothing to do with him.  But if Dwight hated [laying beside Gasol if Houston tries to start Asik and Dwight together... the hilarity...

Edited by Majesty, August 14, 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#14 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,787 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 14, 2013 - 08:57 PM

I disagree about the Ryan Anderson thing.  A few close sources such as Steve Kyler pretty much stated that Ryno and Dwight did not get along very well.  Ryan Anderson isnt pushing to play with Dwight or vice versa and you know if Dwight is uncomfy with a trade for him Htown isnt doing it.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#15 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,141 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 09:04 PM

I disagree about the Ryan Anderson thing.  A few close sources such as Steve Kyler pretty much stated that Ryno and Dwight did not get along very well.  Ryan Anderson isnt pushing to play with Dwight or vice versa and you know if Dwight is uncomfy with a trade for him Htown isnt doing it.

Pretty much, Houston will do whatever Dwight wants.

Rockets : Hmm we're thinking about getting Rondo.
Dwight: NO KEEP LIN AND ASIK

Rockets: OK Dwight!

#16 trillionaire

trillionaire

Rookie

• 104 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted August 14, 2013 - 09:28 PM

I miss Bynum. Always said we shoulda kept em

#17 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,124 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted August 14, 2013 - 09:33 PM

I miss Bynum before gasol was a laker. The one that was jumping off the wrong leg and clowning on other centers. But then the lakers got Pau and the rest is history

#18 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 11:16 PM

I miss Bynum before gasol was a laker. The one that was jumping off the wrong leg and clowning on other centers. But then the lakers got Pau and the rest is history

Or Bynum just kept hurting his knee twice a year
Posted Image

#19 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 14, 2013 - 11:42 PM

Dwight also threw his Orlando teammates under the bus, saying he carried a bunch of nobodies to the finals. I can't wait until he does the same to us. 

#20 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,787 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 15, 2013 - 04:28 AM

I never liked D12 even in Orlando but he was a better player than Bynum.  Guys need to let Bynum go.  He had one hot regular season off and on and one great playoff game in Denver and he crapped out.  D12 made guys forget the frustration with Bynum.  On top of that his knees are shot.  Saying "we should have kept Bynum" wreaks of "this girl left me I should have stayed with my last girl that was a complete trainwreck herself". 

Bynum also in most ways wasn't happy and LA and his frustrations came out afterwards as well.  D12>Bynum until PROVEN otherwise.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users