14 replies to this topic

#1 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,562 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:01 PM

I have two questions:

1) Is there a "chatting messenger" feature here?

It would be faster and more efficient to communicate before, during, and after a game on a messenger-type platform. I assume there isn't one since users would feel more inclined to chat on the messengers than post on the forums of any "Game Day" threads. To counter that, maybe open chatting only when the NBA games are airing live? Those of us that watch games on the computer could chat easily on here during it.

2) Is there a reply notification feature?

I get notifications when people like my posts. However, I always have to manually check threads to see if someone replied to my input. And if the thread is popular and moved a few pages, it makes it much more difficult to see if someone replied. 

#2 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,948 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:03 PM

In regard to 1, there isn't unless an admin install IP.Chat

I can setup a LakerNation IRC (Internet Relay Chat) server if people want.

In regard to 2, there is no native IPB feature I am aware of. An administrator would need to find a hook/modification to instantly reply to notifcations through the UCP.

Edited by -Wade-, August 13, 2013 - 06:07 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:10 PM

^ They should've offered you a high-ranking position here a long time ago man. It's never too late. Wish they would. You more than deserve it and are worthy. You're easily one of this board's most intelligent & brightest minds.

yo.

#4 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,948 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:16 PM

I think I'm too opinionated to be a representative of this board. Also, given my background in hacking/computer security, a lot of people might feel uncomfortable. Besides, the staff does a good enough job as is (imo)

I'm always here to help with coding, configs, services, w/e... though! :) I can do this as a member (and comfortably). If people want the IRC server, just holler.

Edited by -Wade-, August 13, 2013 - 06:17 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:20 PM

^ "Good enough"? No offense meant to the board, but man that sounds a tad depressing. Like that's not even great or awesome or amazing. Just "good enough"? Sounds like theres a TON of room for improvement. Wish at least RD was around to see this & you two could bounce some ideas off each other. He's hard to find these days though unfortunately.

yo.

#6 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,948 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Good enough, as in, they may not need anymore help in terms of taking care of the board and moderating. I love the Lakers and I love basketball, but to be honest, I haven't contributed as much to the main forums of this board as I feel is required to achieve such rank(s). 

It is understandable that RD and the admins go inactive at times. I run sites and servers of my own and it can be painful to deal with at times. If the server is having a problem or you are hacked, you feel the weight of the world come down on your shoulders as all of your site's members eagerly await to access the board.

They also manually validate new registrations, deal with spam and members who break the rules. It is quite the task, ON TOP OF developing to further improve the site/board... props to this board's staff.

My services are always available. I'd love to see LakerNation have TLS (https://lakernation.com), an IRC server (irc.lakernation.com) and a few hooks added to IPB (AJAX reply, PM encryption, disable "Login as member" ACP feature, etc.). I also want to code a OS independent app that instantly loads up the forums in a tabbed interface. One tab is the forums, another tab is the IRC chat, another tab auto-update live Laker streams... oh yeah.

wKNsigp.png

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:40 PM

I'm gonna' forward all that to Real Deal via PM in hopes that he sees it quicker and hopes that he sees it at all.

yo.

#8 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,562 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 07:45 PM

@Wade: That sounds like an intuitive idea! I really appreciate you willing to improve this site. ^^ 

#9 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 920 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 13, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Great ideas. I'm also an IT administrator as well as a web designer. If you guys need help with anything, just let me know.

#10 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted August 14, 2013 - 11:35 AM

For the 1st question, as far as I know, we don't have such a feature available. I don't think we'll get one specifically because it would take activity away from the Game Day threads.

For the 2nd question, we do have a feature like that.

Just go to the top left of the page you're viewing and click on your name to pull down a list of options. One of them should be labeled My Settings. On this next page, there is a list of tabs on the lefthand side and you want the one titled Notification Options. Once there, you can check off whatever you want (replies, quotes, likes, etc.) and you should receive notifications from then on.

notify_zpsba5b5359.jpg?t=1376508834

#11 Jee

Jee

♚ ROOKIE ©

• 579 posts
  • Name:Jee
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:ANY WHO PLAYS HERE

Posted August 14, 2013 - 02:01 PM

Also, how about some more emoticons for the shoutbox. Like the ones we have here.

#12 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,948 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 03:05 PM

For the 1st question, as far as I know, we don't have such a feature available. I don't think we'll get one specifically because it would take activity away from the Game Day threads.

For the 2nd question, we do have a feature like that.

Just go to the top left of the page you're viewing and click on your name to pull down a list of options. One of them should be labeled My Settings. On this next page, there is a list of tabs on the lefthand side and you want the one titled Notification Options. Once there, you can check off whatever you want (replies, quotes, likes, etc.) and you should receive notifications from then on.

notify_zpsba5b5359.jpg?t=1376508834

IPB has been rolling out features fast. Do you know if there is any plan to upgrade to IPB4 upon its release? A huge new feature they are working on is local HTML5 storage. If you are typing a reply and you accidentally navigate away from the page, when you go back, all of your text will still be there.

wKNsigp.png

#13 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,872 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 14, 2013 - 04:03 PM

Also, how about some more emoticons for the shoutbox. Like the ones we have here.

The shoutbox on the blog (which is what you're talking about, I'm assuming) is hosted through Cbox, which provides us with enough access to administrate chats and design the box, nothing more (last time I checked, anyway).  Emoticons we provide on the forums are separate from what is provided from Cbox's chat system.

IPB has been rolling out features fast. Do you know if there is any plan to upgrade to IPB4 upon its release? A huge new feature they are working on is local HTML5 storage. If you are typing a reply and you accidentally navigate away from the page, when you go back, all of your text will still be there.

I'm waiting for 4.0.  Until then, updates will be security patches.  As you probably know, there aren't enough major changes to justify me re-designing the skin, because the skin updating feature does not do the trick for how I alter code.

#14 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,948 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 04:10 PM

I'm waiting for 4.0.  Until then, updates will be security patches.  As you probably know, there aren't enough major changes to justify me re-designing the skin, because the skin updating feature does not do the trick for how I alter code.

Makes perfect sense. Something else I also know is how hard you work on the site. Thank you.

wKNsigp.png

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 14, 2013 - 05:05 PM

Good mention. That's happened to me a few times before and it's incredibly frustrating to say the least, especially obviously after a reasonably long post (the worst). Hope this can be implemented in the future indeed, but for now it's fine. No rush needed.

yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users