Photo

Jordan Hill Vows Outside Shooting Won’t Compromise Rest Of His Game (Pg. 3)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,630 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:30 PM

Jordan Hill's Summer Assignment: Become A Stretch 4

hi-res-158688595_crop_650.jpg

By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com

Jordan Hill missed nearly two-thirds of the Los Angeles Lakers' 2012-13 season, 53 games to be exact, mostly because of his back and hip. But Hill also was absent from other games when the 6-foot-10, 235-pound energy force simply wasn’t given a chance.

While Hill was unable to go for a significant portion of the schedule because of a herniated disk in his lower back and surgery on his left hip, what about those three consecutive games in December when he didn’t play even though he was perfectly healthy?
This hardly received the same attention as when coach Mike D’Antoni didn’t play Antawn Jamison for seven straight games later in the season and Jamison spoke up about it. Hill, who would tie Steve Nash for the unofficial but all-important Most Supportive Teammate award, kept quiet.

When the season was over, however, Hill asked D’Antoni -- who coached the player in New York before the No. 8 pick was shipped out of town just months into his rookie season -- what he needed to do to stay on the floor next season.

“He talked about what I need to work on for this coming summer,” Hill told ESPNLosAngeles.com. “My jump shot -- he definitely wanted me to work on my outside jumper.”

The experiment to turn Pau Gasol into an outside-oriented big man blew up in D’Antoni’s face last season. But in Hill, who has played eight fewer seasons in the league than Gasol, the coach found a much more malleable subject.

“That’s mostly what I’ve been focusing on this whole summer, not so much the post work because I know I can go down to the block and easily get an offensive rebound and putback,” said Hill, who ranked sixth in the NBA last season in rebounds per 36 minutes (among players who played 25 games or more), according to BasketballReference.com. “We got Pau Gasol that can focus on the paint and we got Chris Kaman that can focus on the block. So I just want to be a stretch 4. Just try to spread the floor a little bit, just show a little range. I’ve been working on it the whole summer, trying to focus on that, on my 3-ball. It got a lot better. I’m just ready to put it all together and showcase it.”

Hill, who shot 61.8 percent inside of 5 feet last season en route to a career-high 6.7 points per game average, did not fare as well the farther away from the basket he went. According to NBA.com Stats Cube, Hill shot 35.7 percent from 5-9 feet last season and 30.8 percent from 15-19 feet. And he missed the only two 3-point shots he attempted (in fact, he’s 0-for-9 on 3s for his career). However, there was signs of promise. He shot 50 percent from 10-14 feet and 42.9 percent from 20-24 feet, but the opportunities were limited (fewer than 10 attempts during the season from each of those spots).

"I’m just trying to do a variety of stuff that will help me spread the floor and get great shots," Hill said.

The location of Hill’s offseason home is helping his outside improvement. It just so happens that Hill spends his summers in Atlanta, the same place as teammate Jodie Meeks. The sharpshooting Meeks, who was third on the Lakers last season with 122 made 3s (behind Metta World Peace’s 141 and Kobe Bryant’s 132), doesn’t necessarily coach Hill’s shot, but he does motivate Hill.

“Jodie’s not him telling me I need to follow through, but we always have competition shooting,” Hill said. “He’s definitely going to win a lot, but I’ve definitely won a couple. So when I do competition shooting with him and I win, I get the confidence that, ‘OK, my shot’s falling now. I can shoot better now.’”

The key to survival is adaptation. Hill is trying not only to carve out a niche within D’Antoni’s system but also to expand his game in hopes of extending his career.

More in link.

http://espn.go.com/b...ome-a-stretch-4
Not really a surprise since that's what D'Antoni has been wanting for his offense. Hill doesn't have a post game. Mind as well work on that. Channing Frye is a big who doesn't have a post game. Wasn't known for his 3 point shooting while playing in New York until he went to the Suns. Maybe it can be the same for Hill.

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, August 21, 2013 - 01:11 PM.

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,343 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:36 PM

More in link.

http://espn.go.com/b...ome-a-stretch-4
Not really a surprise since that's what D'Antoni has been wanting for his offense. Hill doesn't have a post game. Mind as well work on that. Channing Frye is a big who doesn't have a post game. Wasn't known for his 3 point shooting while playing in New York until he went to the Suns. Maybe it can be the same for Hill.

Don't think we'll see Hill at the 3 point line very much, but we will see him at that mid range top of the key jumper he'd been working on since pre-season last year. 

If Hill became a deadly mid range shooter he'd be a viable weapon

He shot 50 percent from 10-14 feet and 42.9 percent from 20-24 feet,

I'd say that's probably the ranges he'll be shooting from.

He'll always be open from there when people rotate so I'm glad to hear this.

Don't think we'll be running many plays to get him three pointers but we'll for sure be seeing him get a lot of mid range jump shots and if he hits those consistently(like a Haslem) then it will be a very nice addition to his game and ultimately he'll become more than just a hustle player, good on Hill.

What I love is this

Hill has traded Mikan drills around the basket for ballhandling exercises meant to help him develop a one-dribble, pull-up jumper. He's also practiced the footwork required for pick-and-rolls. Not just playing the part of the man setting the screen and diving toward the hoop, but also flaring out in pick-and-pop scenarios, and even working on curling off the pick as a screen-recipient rather than a screen-setter.

One dribble pull up jumper is EXACTLY how I use him in 2k on the Lakers(outside of rebounding etc), and he always is given a ton of space by the defender, worked on developing that mid range jumper, that one dribble pull up is my money play now cause he's ALWAYS open for it lol. 

And him becoming a more pick and roll deadly player fits in perfectly.  Keep expanding your game Hill :)  I like it!

And we're really gonna need Hill to develop those things.  Extremely.  Cause if he doesn't then D'antoni is likely gonna favor Kaman for minutes next to Pau.  

So it's important Hill get that mid range jumper consistent we need his defense and rebounding, adding a mid range jumper to that is a nice bonus.

Also his description on how to stop pick and rolls and one of the issues last year

“They got to go up against guards like Chris Paul. They got to go up against these guys every night so it’s definitely going to be a tough battle,” Hill explained. “There’s definitely going to be some ankle breaking, going to the rim, so we definitely need to contain our guys more and help on defense a lot more. Guys are scared to get off their man. We’re always hugging up on our man, instead of staying in the middle of the floor, and then the guys go right to the rim. It was definitely hard seeing that, especially when I couldn’t do nothing about it.”

And his backing of Rambis

“Now we got Kurt Rambis, so that’s a big A-plus,” Hill said of L.A.’s defense-minded assistant-coaching hire. “We got Mike D’Antoni for the offense. We got the guys to put the points on the scoreboard. We just need a guy who will help us stop our opponents from putting points up on that board, and now we got it. I feel it’s going to be good. We just got to go out there and buckle down and do what we got to do.”

Pretty much agree with most everything he said.

All and all GREAT INTERVIEW and article ;)  +1

Edited by Majesty, August 12, 2013 - 03:48 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#3 PurPnYellowLaker

PurPnYellowLaker

Rookie

• 463 posts
  • Name:alejandro
  • Fan Since:platon
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:37 PM

Glad he wants to be on the floor and is willing to work to do it!

#4 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:41 PM

Yup, Hill won't be with us past the deadline this year.

Hill is a player who is effective in the post, banging around, grabbing rebounds. I'm glad he's putting in the work but it's not ideal to re-invent himself as a player when he's really good at what he already does for his.

#5 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:53 PM

Stretch 4 as in, knock down 15-17 then fine. 20 and out no way. Hes the best offensive rebounder in the game you want him around the basket as much as possible

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,343 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hill's been working on his outside jumper since the beginning of last season.  If you remember in the pre-season he was shooting a lot of mid range shots or ones at the top of the key and even said on twitter he was working on expanding his game beyond the paint when someone asked if he was trying to be Tim Duncan =p

This is him continually working on it, nothing he wasn't already working on but I'm glad he's truly dedicating himself to it as opposed to trying it out in the pre-season and then over the course of the rest of the season.   And he never got to FULLY work on it in the pre-season either as he had a back problem in that first pre-season game and didn't return till later so even then he really didn't get to work on it the way he wanted.

Now he's had an entire summer to do it.

But it was apparent he's been trying to expand his shooting range.  Like I said, I don't expect him to shoot many threes.  But there's nothing "new" about Hill trying to expand his shooting range 10-15 or even further(not threes though).    He's been doing it since pre-season game 1 against the Warriors back when we had Mike Brown as our coach.

Edited by Majesty, August 12, 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#7 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,786 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:58 PM

HAHAHA.  Of course this coach is going to want the only player who isn't afraid to bang inside to start camping out on the 3 point line.  Turning Hill into a stretch four is like turning Gasol into a stretch four...oh wait.  You see stuff like this and you wonder how much things will change, and how much the coach is simply trying to placate the fans in his interviews.  Time will tell.  

#8 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,289 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:58 PM

MDA just can't help himself can he?

Hill needs to work on what he is good at already, and just get great at it.

#9 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,343 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 04:02 PM

Doesn't take long before people assume it means Hill is gonna be camping the 3 point line as opposed to shooting from mid range like he was used last year by D'antoni :smh:  Nor remember that this was something Hill has been working on since Mike Brown was our coach from the beginning of last year.

Probably for the same reasons as the Princeton was going to set him up from the mid, so thus he started working on it.

Got hurt in the first game of the pre-season and couldn't work on it any further so he had to run with it and work at it as he went along. 

But of course that's forgotten so people can hate D'antoni even more :)

Edited by Majesty, August 12, 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#10 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,173 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Doesn't matter what this guy does. Mike D'Antoni hates him and refuses to play him for some reason. We got this guy for Fisher plus a 1st rounder. That is a steal imo.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#11 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,343 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 04:06 PM

Doesn't matter what this guy does. Mike D'Antoni hates him and refuses to play him for some reason.

He chose Hill over Jamison and if Hill never got injured Jamison would have gotten Rashard Lewis minutes.

Why is this constantly forgotten?

#12 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,173 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 04:07 PM

He chose Hill over Jamison and if Hill never got injured Jamison would have gotten Rashard Lewis minutes.

Why is this constantly forgotten?

Mike D'Antoni sucks. That's why.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#13 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,173 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 04:08 PM

Anyone think we are going to trade him for a possible 1st rounder this year? I love Hill and the energy he brings, but I have a feeling he might be dealt.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,343 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 04:15 PM

Mike D'Antoni sucks. That's why.

Stupid reason to ignore what actually happened.

"I hate D'antoni so I'm gonna ignore anything he did that can be taken positive so I can pile on the hate."

I get you hate him but that doesn't mean you fabricate something just cause you don't like him. Nor should you need to, there's MANY other things he screwed up on last year.  But Jordan Hill was not one of them.

Facts are that Jordan Hill has been working on his mid range since Mike Brown was our coach, and was shooting mid range shots last year in pre-season and during the season.  It wasn't just because of D'antoni.

Fact also is that D'antoni picked Jordan Hill over Antawn Jamison and Jamison was on his 6th DNP before Hill got hurt in the Clippers game.  

Let's look at what happened to their minutes after D'antoni picked Hill over Jamison.

7 games after D'antoni picked Hill(which was the Golden State game)

Hill played mins
21, 8, 13, 25, 19,19(game he got hurt), 15(had to stop early and then was gone till playoffs)

Jamison played minutes in those games
0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3(game Hill got hurt), 4(game Hill left early in)

And from then on Jamison was playing in what would have been Hill's minutes(24 the next game etc and beyond).

If Hill never went down Jamison would have rotten on the bench and was likely gone by the trade deadline or would have been on Rashard Lewis minutes.

It's fine to hate D'antoni, but this whole "he hates Hill and never played him" is false by this point.  I'm sure you can find other reasons to hate him other than rehashing arguments that are no longer relevant or true :)

We'll also be running Horns a lot this year, it's a necessity that Hill develop his mid range jumper(which he was already doing at the stat of last year) why is this such a terrible thing?  Cause it's D'antoni? 

I didn't mind Hill working on his mid range jumper last year in pre-season and I don't mind him actually being healthy enough to fully focus working on it this off-season.   Good for him.

Edited by Majesty, August 12, 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#15 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 12, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Anyone think we are going to trade him for a possible 1st rounder this year? I love Hill and the energy he brings, but I have a feeling he might be dealt.

Better not move Hill before they move Pau

Pau Gasol is GONE

#16 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 12, 2013 - 05:48 PM

ffs...

#17 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,657 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:04 PM

That's swell of him.

MMiRi9s.png

#18 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:09 PM

:laughing: wow

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#19 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,584 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:14 PM

Jordan Hill is arguably one of the top offensive rebounders in the game. He's an energy player, he hustles and he does absolute work in the post when he's on the floor offensively.

What does coach Mike D'Antoni tell him to do?

Work on his jumpshot.

There you have it ladies and gentlemen. The beginning of the end. The fate of the organization lies in this genius' hands.

Edited by Triple Ocho, August 12, 2013 - 06:14 PM.

iyjywo.jpg

#20 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,031 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:42 PM

The same areas MOST great PFs operate from

Mid-range from Malone to Barkley to the list goes on. you need that mid-range to set up the drive, even most pFs post game, are based a lot on a 8-10 foot fallaway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users