TV Nielsen Ratings

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,486 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted August 12, 2013 - 04:24 AM

2012-REGULAR SEASON GAMES
Sport         NR avg %      Note                 Source

NFL           10.1                Down 4%          LINK
NASCAR    5.25               Up 3%               LINK

NBA           3.3                 Highest ever      LINK

MLB           1.7                 Lowest ever      LINK
NHL            .20                Down 5%           LINK 

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:14 AM

Nascar? Wtf? :laughing:

I mean no offense, but REALLY?

yo.

#3 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,486 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:23 AM

Nascar? Wtf? :laughing:

I mean no offense, but REALLY?

NASCAR is popular indeed but their viewership is high because of its frequency.

NASCAR is on 1x per week like NFL. And every team plays at the same time.

So fans of 40+ race teams/drivers watch to see them all compete at one time.

Where as the NBA viewer has to watch back to back to back games to see only 6 teams play. And they may not because the viewer is only a fan of 1 of the teams.

NASCAR is a genius recipe for TV advertising monies. First they get "Tide" to sponsor a car for $29 mill. Then they sell them ads on TV for $400k a pop. Lol.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#4 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:40 AM

The NFL is misleading in its lower percentage, but that is because it is coming from incredibly high levels the previous years. It is still unmatched as far total viewership, plus Super Bowl is seen as a national event. I would've thought NHL would be gaining strength, and as the MLB, I love baseball but Selig has been dropping the ball nonstop in recent years.

As for the NBA, that's good, but I'd think it would reach a much higher level on a global scale before it ever ascends in the US to previous MLB or current NFL levels.

#5 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:41 AM

NFL is a monster

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:51 AM

There are several reasons why the NFL is #1 most beloved sport by Americans overall one of which the obvious of course it being the most violent team sport by far, but also, I feel it's the most relatable to most of America. Think about it. Most of America is overweight or obese right? What sport do most overweight, obese, or bigger people turn to? Football. The most logical.

yo.

#7 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 10:00 AM

I don't think obese is the right word for today's offensive linemen. Some of these are guys are just big and athletic

That only accounts for 5 positions out of 11 anyway: LT, LG, C, RG, RT

It's so damn fun to watch week in and week out.

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 10:04 AM

^ Well I mean the sport of football also in general. Like this goes for high school & college and people who get together with their friends and just play for fun. The average male American tends to be a little bulkier or weighing more and so football naturally is the easiest sport for them to relate to and cheer on guys that are similar to them.

A lot of those same guys, you have them play basketball, average Joes especially and they're not as interested or they just can't hang, especially full court. Way too much running for them and fouls too in some cases. They'd rather just grind it out and hit people.

yo.

#9 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 10:08 AM

it's easier to be bigger than it is to be taller...if that makes any sense. you can bulk up...put on weight and muscle for football but you can't start growing again for basketball. either you're tall or you're not

Pau Gasol is GONE

#10 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,486 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 10:31 AM

plus Super Bowl is seen as a national event.

Remember above, I only averaged the ratings for regular season games only.

but FYI

1. The NBA Finals had a 12.1 rating with about 15 million viewers

2. The Superbowl, they don't even give it a rating #, but 117 million people watched and thats a record.

3. The World Series had a MLB record low 7.6 rating with about 9.5 million viewers. The previous record low was 8.7 sometime in the 90's.
To me thats a direct reflection of the SF Giants and Detroit. jmho. If the Braves and Yanks make it or the Dodgers and Redsox.....viewership would be in the 20 mill range, again jmo though.

4. NASCAR doesn't have a Chip but the Daytona 500 is viewed as the #1 race and had 36.5 million viewers.
This years is supposed to be close to 60 million because of the Danica Patrick coverage huge increase in female viewers.

5. Stanley Cup had a average 2.95 million viewers for a 2.2 rating, which again was down about 5% from the previous year.

Edited by LakersGAFan, August 12, 2013 - 10:33 AM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#11 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,808 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted August 12, 2013 - 11:06 AM

poor hockey..

which is sad...

because hockey has probally some of the best sportsmanship in all of sports...

Players respect the refs... each other... every player on the roster plays mins... the best player will barely play a 1/3 of the game, and the worst player will play about a 1/5 of the game... everyone on the roster gets playing time... its a great team sport...

Also, FIGHTS...

Something so satisfying about seeing a couple guys throwing punches, and then when its over, fist bump, and go to the penality box...

I mean, at least baseball has a fighting element to it.. you hit our guy, we hit yours, benches clear, and there is bad blood for months...

the NFL and NBA are whimpy leagues compared to the NHL, and even MLB in some respects.

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 11:10 AM

hockey has probally some of the best sportsmanship in all of sports...

Players respect the refs... each other...

Also, FIGHTS...

Something so satisfying about seeing a couple guys throwing punches, and then when its over, fist bump, and go to the penality box...

So fighting each other is a sign of respect? Just asking I mean I love watching that, but is that respect? You can literally get away with a crime of assault there. Perfectly legal. Crazy.

yo.

#13 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 11:48 AM

If I want to watch fighting, I'll watch Boxing or MMA. Hockey is a joke

Pau Gasol is GONE

#14 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,284 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Fighting isn't a sign of respect but it's part of the game.  Physical fast moving sport, it happens.

Football is the joke.  The primary reason its popular is because its easy to bet on and the NFL encourages it.  It's also popular because it gives people an excuse to sit around all day one day a week and do nothing.  I always go back to my primary reason for my hatred of the boredom that is football...

12 minutes of actual player movement in a 3 hour+ game.  That is preposterous.

At least in hockey every player has to be in shape, there aren't different teams for every phase of the game and there is actually more than 12 lousy minutes of player movement.  Besides, in hockey you can't be a giant fat guy and be considered an athlete.  I'll take hockey, its players and the game itself over football and the douchebag mentality that surrounds it any day of the week, month or year.

#15 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Oh please. The officials stand around and allow the players to fight. Everyone gathers around, the crowd gets interested in the "game" finally, and then the game ends 1-0. Hell, fighting seems to be encouraged in the sport.

Hockey is a dead "sport". 

Football is the undisputed king of sports.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#16 fido

fido

• 11,284 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:06 PM

You don't watch the game, and obviously have no idea about it.

Reduce the ridiculously pointless point numbers from football and their games are also 2-1, 3-0 matches as well.  Some guys in shape and a bunch of fat guys standing around waiting to play.

12 minutes of movement in 3 hours - unwatchable.

Watch hockey first, then you can criticize.

#17 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:49 PM

You damn right I don't watch hockey! lol

But I almost always give something/someone one chance. Years ago, I tried to watch a hockey game and I lasted maybe 5 mins. It's boring and that's the nicest way to put it. It's not a popular sport...few care about it and that's why it's at the bottom of the sport's totem pole. 

How does football have "pointless point numbers"? A touchdown is 6 pts...simple. A field goal is 3 pts...simple. A safety is 2 pts...simple. An extra point is 1 pt...simple. There's organization and controlled chaos on a hundred yard football field.

If anyone thinks the NFL is a bunch of fat guys, then they haven't been watching sport...maybe never watched it at all. I can pretty much guarantee that few (if any) here would stand a chance against a lineman in a 40 yd dash. The big uglies are a LOT more athletic nowadays. The cat/mouse game between the QB and the MLB (think Tom Brady vs Ray Lewis) is only one of many things that happens on the football field...and that's before the ball is even snapped! What are the names that people know? Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Adrian Peterson, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, etc; I'm pretty sure those players aren't fat guys. 

You wanna talk about the offensive linemen? Here's D'Brickashaw Ferguson:

Brickashaw+Ferguson+Tear+Up+Pierre+uXbG1

AAHH187_8x102006-2007Action.jpg

That's a BIG man...not a fat man. 

These guys generally stay on the field for the entire game trying to block leaner, faster, and more athletic defensive ends and linebackers. And there's different schemes and techniques for run blocking and for pass blocking. 

Guys standing on the sidelines are subs...2nd/3rd stringers. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#18 fido

fido

• 11,284 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 09:55 PM

I didn't say they were all a bunch of fat guys.  You're altering my statements to fit your points.  I said there are fat guys on the teams that are considered athletes.

12 minutes of movement in a 3 hour game - no other point is needed.  That equals boring and unwatchable.  Not to mention the despicable culture and attitudes around the game.

#19 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 10:24 PM

Well, they are athletes. They train and prepare like athletes 

What "despicable culture"???  :eh:

You think a game this physical is going to be 3 hours straight of non stop play??? Timeouts, commercials, substitutions, etc...it's all a part of the game. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 01:30 PM

douchebag mentality that surrounds it any day of the week, month or year.

Not to mention the despicable culture and attitudes around the game.

This is probably true. Football may have the most overall idiots following it than any other sport.

yo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users