Photo

Nickelodeon's "The Adventures of Pete & Pete"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

• 40,396 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Did anyone else here watch this as a kid?

Sweet memories. Always loved the theme intro song too.

http://www.imdb.com/...5933/?ref_=sr_1

MV5BMjA0Nzg1MjI3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODE1

Mr. Tastee FTW!

tumblr_li0vkyI3VI1qawrvho1_500.png

yo.

#2 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,102 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Was one of my shows. Same with clarissa tells it all, pretty much all of those early to mid 90s nickelodeon movies
Posted Image

• 40,396 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 08:21 PM

They just don't make television like that anymore on Nickelodeon. Shame what today's kids have to see.

yo.

#4 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted August 10, 2013 - 08:36 PM

My nostalgia thanks you.

#5 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,102 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 08:40 PM

They just don't make television like that anymore on Nickelodeon. Shame what today's kids have to see.

As time has gone by kids attention span has gotten smaller so they need faster shows

As opposed to the slower developing shows of the 90s

The 90s generation was capable
Posted Image

• 40,396 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Watch them older now:

yo.

#7 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,700 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 10, 2013 - 09:26 PM

Love this show.  it still comes on every now and then.   Girl that went on to become Harriet the Spy is in it :D

And I always felt like Malcolm in the Middle took a LOT of inspiration from this show.  It's easily tellable when you watch it :)

Edited by Majesty, August 10, 2013 - 09:36 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#8 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 09:48 PM

^

Definitely, more edgy even for the times I'd say. I remember Clarissa, Alex Mack (girl leads that actually weren't stereotypical), Kenan & Kel (legendary), even the cartoons like Doug and Hey Arnold (personal favorite). I don't really know what is leading today.

#9 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,700 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 10:22 PM

^

Definitely, more edgy even for the times I'd say. I remember Clarissa, Alex Mack (girl leads that actually weren't stereotypical), Kenan & Kel (legendary), even the cartoons like Doug and Hey Arnold (personal favorite). I don't really know what is leading today.

yep.  Hey Arnold was one of my personal faves because they captured the dynamics of every personality so much so that you could run episodes about an individual. 

Helga's story in general about the neglectful father, the alcoholic mother and her perfect sister and her love for Arnold who was the first person to do something nice for her and liked her bow which she has worn ever since you literally could run episodes just about her and they did. 

And she was a third main character beside Gerald and Arnold.

But she became such a powerful character in general cause of her backstory, EVERYONE on that show had a backstory of sorts and you could run an episode generally around them with Arnold in the background and the show would work just fine.

Nowadays shows don't give that much depth to their main characters or even their side characters, they are pretty much characters of "one joke" that runs for the entire series as their "personality"

#10 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 11:11 PM

Definitely, I had forgotten that her parents were dysfunctional, even the hidden joke of her mom being an alcoholic and a neglectful father. If I am not mistaken, during the psychiatrist episode is when she tells her back story, crazy how I still remember. Yea nowadays PR, no network would even try giving some depth at characters or actual problems. It all sunshine, no real world problems.

Edited by Ven, August 10, 2013 - 11:12 PM.

• 40,396 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 11:16 PM

^ Social media's played in a big role in the demise of that. Mainstream media & some networks are afraid to even risk pushing the envelope too much since social media and its impact is so powerful now that they could receive a ton of backlash.

yo.

#12 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,605 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 11, 2013 - 05:11 PM

i watched and enjoyed...good stuff

Posted Image

#13 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,700 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 05:30 PM

Definitely, I had forgotten that her parents were dysfunctional, even the hidden joke of her mom being an alcoholic and a neglectful father. If I am not mistaken, during the psychiatrist episode is when she tells her back story, crazy how I still remember. Yea nowadays PR, no network would even try giving some depth at characters or actual problems. It all sunshine, no real world problems.

yes not just that, but actually I remember during an episode where Helga's mother was making a smoothie and she asked Helga if they had any and she named a certain kind of product, like a peppermint or something like that to throw into a smoothie.

And I had no idea why she'd want whatever she asked for in the smoothie.

Anyway they were alright.

I came to find out later as I got older that what Helga's mother asked her for was actually something alcoholics use to mask the alcohol on their breath.

And I thought.. wow..... there was more inner references in this show that I didn't grasp as a child that I FULLY grasp now.  Which is why I love rewatching this show and catching up on everything.

Still watching Arnold and Helga lose inhibitions that ONE time during that tango scene which took place an episode after the movie is still one of my favorite scenes.  As they had both been acting up to that point like they couldn't stand one another on the April Fools day, but the tango brought out the real them, as the writer put it.

"Arnold’s already heard everything. He's been through that adventure with Helga, and he knows exactly where she's at. But like they say at the end of the movie: ‘Okay so, let's sort of agree that never happened’. So they're carrying on and she's probably even cranked up the abuse, y'know what I mean? She's trying to kinda put on this show, even for Arnold, that she doesn't love him and that she hates him. So when he takes her out to the dance floor, it's kinda like the mask is removed between them for a moment that they're dancing, like a couple of people who are in love.”

-Craig Bartlett on Arnold’s flirting in “April Fool’s Day”

That stands today as one of my favorite scenes of that show and those two stand as the very first pairing I got behind as a child that I didn't classify as icky. Mainly because of the psychology behind all of it.

Every single action had a deeper meaning we didn't grasp as kids but for suredly do now.  

I don't get that from many Nick shows today.

even in a show like.. let's say... iCarly...   Sam hates Freddie but secretly loves him.  Alright.. why???  What's her family like?  What's his family like?  What's the meaning?  Why is she the way she is?  NONE of this is talked about or seen except or many one episode.  

In Hey Arnold we know precisely why Helga is the way she is, what happened to her as a child, why she fell in love with Arnold, why she treats him the way she does and why she secretly loves him.   Her entire family life is the basis of many episodes, as well as Arnold's home life.  They aren't just thrown in there as a "yeah this couple will get together soon."

Their entire personalities and lives are explored mentally and physically so you understand WHY the relationship between them would work years before it's actually going to happen.

You don't get THAT deep of thought into those kind of things in today's shows.   It just doesn't happen, and the fact that a CARTOON outdoes live action at that astounds me :)

Edited by Majesty, August 11, 2013 - 05:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users