easy. 2000 team 

ap1.png

#3 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,903 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted August 10, 2013 - 11:31 AM

Iverson should be on the 2000's team over Steve Nash. Tracy McGrady as the 3rd player off the bench.

And How is Karl Malone not on the 90's team?

It comes down to 90's vs. 00's.

Stockton-Kidd

Jordan-Kobe

Pippen-LeBron

Malone-Duncan

Hakeem-Shaq

Payton, Rodman, Ewing-Iverson, McGrady, Garnett

If this was an actual 5 on 5 game? 90's. I don't know how any team can run an effective offense against a potential lineup of Payton, Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and Hakeem. We're talking hands down the best defensive players of all-time at their respective positions and probably the top 5 defenders of all-time overall.

iyjywo.jpg

#4 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,046 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted August 10, 2013 - 11:57 AM

You really could plug in a young Jordan in the 80's along with Magic and Bird, Bird certainly picks up on the defensive end. Kareem at center and McHale at PF. Reason I say even a young Jordan in the 80's roster is because of the defense and versatility the 80's roster of Magic, Bird, Kareem and McHale offers. Only liability would be at SG. I wouldn't personally put a prime Clyde over a young Jordan, and the only other player hat comes to mind from the 80's at SG is Gervin.

I know the 90's roster would be favored by most mainly because of Jordan and the Pippen defense argument, but I think Magic's versatility supersedes them with a powerful roster, not to mention Bird's clutch and the fact that Kareem would outplay Hakeem. Not to mention McHale's numbers against Rodman are very favorable.

#5 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,281 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 01:22 PM

80s

Magic Johnson / Isiah Thomas

Michael Jordan / Clyde Drexler

Larry Bird / Dominique Wilkins

Charles Barkley / Kevin McHale

Moses Malone / Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

90s

John Stockton / Gary Payton

Michael Jordan / Reggie Miller

Scottie Pippen / Grant Hill

Karl Malone / Dennis Rodman

Hakeem Olajuwon / David Robinson

00s

Jason Kidd / Steve Nash

Kobe Bryant / Allen Iverson

Lebron James / Tracy McGrady

Tim Duncan / Kevin Garnett

Shaquille O'Neal / Dwight Howard

These are all potent teams. You can't really pick one over another easily. But 80s are top heavy, all are well-accomplished players. On the other hand 90s can coexist well. 00s are once in a generation type players. Though, even with strong 2-3-4-5 I can't say they would beat the others.

I'll say

00s > 80s

80s > 90s

90s > 00s

in a 3-way tie.

#6 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,485 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 10, 2013 - 02:20 PM

80s

Magic Johnson / Isiah Thomas
Michael Jordan / Clyde Drexler
Larry Bird / Dominique Wilkins
Charles Barkley / Kevin McHale
Moses Malone / Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

90s

John Stockton / Gary Payton
Michael Jordan / Reggie Miller
Scottie Pippen / Grant Hill
Karl Malone / Dennis Rodman
Hakeem Olajuwon / David Robinson

00s

Jason Kidd / Steve Nash
Kobe Bryant / Allen Iverson
Lebron James / Tracy McGrady
Tim Duncan / Kevin Garnett
Shaquille O'Neal / Dwight Howard

These are all potent teams. You can't really pick one over another easily. But 80s are top heavy, all are well-accomplished players. On the other hand 90s can coexist well. 00s are once in a generation type players. Though, even with strong 2-3-4-5 I can't say they would beat the others.

I'll say

00s > 80s
80s > 90s
90s > 00s

in a 3-way tie.

I just didn't want MJ and Shaq on two teams , bc obviously young dynamic MJ was the best at his position.

Defensively
Payton
MJ
Scottie
Rodman
Hakeem is tough to score on
But
Kidd
Kobe
LeBron
KG
Duncan would give them everything they could handle.

#7 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,485 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 02:21 PM

T-Mac had. Maybe 4 years. Dirk is much better all time

#8 RobBlake

RobBlake

Sixth Man

• 2,829 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted August 10, 2013 - 02:22 PM

what rules are they play by? modern day rules? well its a toss up.. no one is getting swept 

ap1.png

#9 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,903 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 02:28 PM

T-Mac had. Maybe 4 years. Dirk is much better all time

4 good seasons? Try 8. 7 legitimate seasons playing elite basketball scoring over 24 points a game.

What are you going to do with Garnett, Duncan and Dirk? McGrady is the better choice here no question.
iyjywo.jpg

#10 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,485 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 02:46 PM

Dirk is a PF , Duncan is a Center

#11 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,903 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 02:54 PM

Dirk is a PF , Duncan is a Center

And? Why is he the 4 on your team?

You have Shaq on the team therefore Duncan is the PF. Unless you want to take Shaq off the team or have Duncan come off the bench?

Don't contradict yourself.
iyjywo.jpg

#12 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 10, 2013 - 03:30 PM

Problem is so few of you ever saw an 80s NBA game or even an early 90s game other highlights or video.

It's impossible for most of you to have a clear outlook on this.

You guys still overrate McGrady something fierce.

#13 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,903 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 04:00 PM

Problem is so few of you ever saw an 80s NBA game or even an early 90s game other highlights or video.

It's impossible for most of you to have a clear outlook on this.

You guys still overrate McGrady something fierce.

You guys is me since I'm the only one who brought him up. Not sure how I overrated him though, but whatever.

And I would love an explanation on how Tracy McGrady is not a top 10 player of the 2000's era and a list of players better than him, or players that should be on the "team" instead of him. Please.
iyjywo.jpg

• 40,603 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 04:05 PM

A 7-time NBA-All-Star is "mediocre" guys.

He was mediocre in his prime.

I have no idea why so many of you like the guy so much.  He's ado-nothing player that fizzled when things got tough for him and failed to ever really improve his game at any point after being drafted.  He's a run of the mill player.

I am serious.

The guy was never this amazing player so many of you think he was.  I think some of you may have been younger when he came into the league and didn't really see his game in its entirety.  Dunking is not a complete game.

Debating the merits of a one-faceted player is a losing battle.

yo.

#15 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,903 posts

Posted August 10, 2013 - 04:08 PM

Oh man, I don't know where to start.

But I will give fido the opportunity to explain himself again since this is a different topic.
iyjywo.jpg

#16 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 10, 2013 - 04:45 PM

90s

Pau Gasol is GONE

#17 SDLakersfan24

SDLakersfan24

Rookie

• 180 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Worthy

Posted August 10, 2013 - 04:58 PM

80s

Edited by SDLakersfan24, August 10, 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#18 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,046 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted August 10, 2013 - 05:12 PM

As for 10 players regarding T-Mac. In the 00-09 gap...

Unquestionably:

Kobe Bryant

Shaq

Tim Duncan

Kevin Garnett

Jason Kidd

Allen Iverson

Steve Nash

Dirk Nowitzki

Ben Wallace

Then T-Mac, but then again someone could place Chris Webber, Paul Pierce, maybe Ray Allen or even Billups, and frankly other players. T-Mac was a great statistical player in Orlando, played second fiddle to Carter in Toronto, in Houston well you can argue Ming's injuries were relevant, T-Mac was very injury prone as well. Afterwards he became irrelevant. He was a punchline in Spurs/Miami Finals.

Ultimately I get why some don't place him top 10, I barely do. I just can't ever get past his series against Detroit when in Orlando.

Edited by Ven, August 10, 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#19 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 11, 2013 - 12:22 PM

All-Star appearances are popularity contests.  Basing a player's overall rating, impact or overall skill off of that is purely ridiculous.

I've gone over this preposterous McGrady love dozens of times, not gonna do it again.

My top 10 players of the '90s in no particular order (and McGrady wouldn't even make the top 20 by the way):

1) Michael Jordan

2) Hakeem Olajuwon

3) Karl Malone

4) John Stockton

5) Charles Barkley

6) Shaquille O'Neal

7) Patrick Ewing

8) David Robinson

9) Reggie Miller

10) Scottie Pippen

(Honorable mentions: Tim Hardaway, Dennis Rodman, Clyde Drexler, Dikembe Mutombo, Chris Webber, Kevin Johnson, Gary Payton, Alonzo Mourning, Shawn Kemp, Jason Kidd and more if you want)

Tracy McGrady is an average player at best.  The kid could dunk and somehow or another that has now translated into some kind of great player.  The passage of time is every mediocre player's best friend.  If you think McGrady is better than any of those 10 players (or any player listed in honorable mentions), then we seriously have nothing to debate.

#20 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,903 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 03:33 PM

All-Star appearances are popularity contests. Basing a player's overall rating, impact or overall skill off of that is purely ridiculous.

I've gone over this preposterous McGrady love dozens of times, not gonna do it again.

My top 10 players of the '90s in no particular order (and McGrady wouldn't even make the top 20 by the way):

1) Michael Jordan
2) Hakeem Olajuwon
3) Karl Malone
4) John Stockton
5) Charles Barkley
6) Shaquille O'Neal
7) Patrick Ewing
8) David Robinson
9) Reggie Miller
10) Scottie Pippen

(Honorable mentions: Tim Hardaway, Dennis Rodman, Clyde Drexler, Dikembe Mutombo, Chris Webber, Kevin Johnson, Gary Payton, Alonzo Mourning, Shawn Kemp, Jason Kidd and more if you want)

Tracy McGrady is an average player at best. The kid could dunk and somehow or another that has now translated into some kind of great player. The passage of time is every mediocre player's best friend. If you think McGrady is better than any of those 10 players (or any player listed in honorable mentions), then we seriously have nothing to debate.

This post alone clarifies to me that you weren't paying attention to my post at all. I'm talking about the 2000's, not the 90's, so I'm not even going to touch that part of your post.

If you don't want to discuss McGrady again, that's fine. I will.

7 consecutive all-star appearances in the 2000's, 5 starts. 17 points per game (which is excellent for all-star game standards).

2 All-NBA first team selections.
3 All-NBA second team selections.
2 all-NBA third team selections.

So for 7 straight seasons, he was at least a top 3 player at his position according to general consensus. He was undeniably the 2nd best perimeter player in the league behind Kobe.

2001-6th place in MVP voting
2002-4th place in MVP voting
2004 4th place in MVP voting
2007-6th place in MVP voting

4/7 years he was in the distant discussion for the MVP award and the only thing hindering him were the terrible teams he played for.

And also, back to back scoring titles in 2003 and 2004. Comfortably. 2 full points ahead of Kobe in 2003 and 4 full points ahead of Peja in 2004. The only others to do it during the decade? Iverson and Kobe. Not counting KD because 2010-11 is a new decade.

McGrady averaged 32 points per game in the playoffs over 4 consecutive seasons at one point. He came to play. You can't discredit everything he did because he played for an average Orlando Magic team. He averaged 34 points per game (42%), 8 assists, and 7 rebounds per game in his VERY FIRST PLAYOFF SERIES as the first option.

An average player that could dunk? McGrady was the best scorer in the league for a consecutive number of years. He was a 30 point scorer with point guard handles and incredible length and had it not be for injuries he would still be contributing in the league today.

Edited by Triple Ocho, August 11, 2013 - 03:54 PM.

iyjywo.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users