#81 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,448 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 10, 2013 - 06:59 PM

At the Cavs, Kobe was banged up, little rest and Kyrie wasn't supposed to play.

At Staples Kobe shut down Kyrie.

Wasnt only guy he stopped this season either.

He scored 42 points. He should have put in more effort on the defensive end. 

#82 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 10, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Point guards? Lol

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#83 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,849 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 10, 2013 - 08:15 PM

He scored 42 points. He should have put in more effort on the defensive end.

Effort?

#84 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,795 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 11, 2013 - 12:28 AM

Why is Scott Brooks, "not that good"? Bc he isn't Pop? I bet you're under 21 acting like you REALLY know more than Scott Brooks. That's insulting. Fall back and understand that a coach like Scott Brooks has forgotten more about the NBA than you'll ever know.

As far as the Lakers post 2010.
2011 Kobe played on one knee for NO reason other than a high playoff seed. Led to a foot injury close to the playoffs and a re-injury situation after that.
When Kobe went from God to King in terms of skill level, Pau was exposed. Kobe couldn't create for everybody plus himself plus Pau, so Pau was proven to be 18/8, soft Memphis Pau.
Kobe fractured his wrist and the lockout schedule was horrible for him considering the minutes and little recovery time.
By the playoffs, and to some extent even the first game against the Bulls, crucial late turnovers and quick guards and wingman making Kobe look old.

This season, besides bad 3 point shooting for long stretches , Kobe had a LEGIT case for 2nd best player in the league overall, and best clutch dramatic performer.

Created at a high level, defense was down but it's more his stamina being the issue. Phil wanted him to find ways to rest on defense but I think it's hard for people to accept that Kobe is not valuable as a "hustle" player. 4th quarter, Kibe was still one of the best, if not THE best Ido wing defender

Scott Brooks isn't a good coach because he's Avery Johnson 2.0.

He doesn't make adjustments over the course of a 7 game series, doesn't fix his rotations and matchups when he clearly has a disadvantage (or advantage), and he doesn't have much of a system on either end of the floor. He's been thriving off the brilliance of Durant and Westbrook, OKC's "offensive system" is abysmally simple, too easy to disrupt for any team with a dedicated defensive scheme. Durant and Westbrook's talent are often enough to steamroll through the opposition, but that just doesn't cut it in the later rounds of the postseason. That's what happened to them in 2012. The Heat lost game 1, but they fixed up their defensive system, took advantage of Kendrick Perkins who is useless against the majority of teams (especially against a small-ball Heat lineup), and blitzed Durant and Westbrook in high picks. Completely took OKC out of rhythm and Brooks never adjusted, costing them a legitimate chance at a title. They consistently fell down by 8+ points anytime the Heat went small with Perkins on the floor, didn't change his rotations or matchups to deal with the Heat (Durant was the most effective guarding LeBron, but Brooks was afraid of foul troubles so he let Sefolosha get massacred in single coverage in the post), never fixed up his offensive scheme to free up Durant for better looks (he was absolutely on fire for most of the series), and he let Westbrook chuck to his heart's content.

That's why he's a bad coach, it's clearly evident if you've watched them in the postseason the last couple of years.

And I really don't see the point of the rest of your post at all. You're focusing on Kobe while I'm focusing on the team. Kobe's injury in 2011? That was near the end of the season, not in January when our issues on both ends of the floor were clear as day. Inconsistent offense, bad defense, and a mediocre season as a whole until that 18-1 spurt which was fool's gold. 2012? You're ignoring the fact that the team was running a horrid system that destroyed them in the post season because it was destined for failure early on. Real Deal called it way back in November, many people ignored it and called him out for a negative outlook, but it took getting drubbed in the 2nd round by the Thunder for most of them to finally come around and see that he was right.

Kobe isn't the main focus here, it's the team. This isn't '05-07 with Kobe at his ultimate peak capable of taking down teams on his own, this is Kobe on the tail-end of his career. At this point, he needs teammates who can step up when he needs them to on both ends of the floor, a coach that can get the most out of the roster, and a solid system on both ends of the floor so that we can maximize his talents and minimize the burden he has to carry on his own. We didn't have a combination of these three in the last 3 years, thus we weren't championship contenders come the postseason.

Kobe is not a great wing defender anymore, not even close. Having all the defensive IQ in the world doesn't mean a thing if he can't put forth the effort to close out as often and effectively as he used to. Yes, he has to play free safety to cover our other sorry defenders on the perimeter (which have only increased after this offseason!), but that doesn't excuse him from just losing sight of his man so many times off the ball in single coverage. It happens far too often for him to be considered great defensively, but it's understandable considering his role on the team and his age. He can't play with 100% effort on defense AND be expected to carry the team while everyone else turns into a statue on the offensive end instead of moving off ball.  At the end of the day, this isn't 2010. Kobe hasn't been an elite one-on-one defender in nearly 4 seasons.

And finally, stop bringing up age so often and start making relevant points. It seems to be your fallback. It doesn't matter if you're 21 or 51 if you understand basketball and how it works. Just because Scott Brooks is a head coach in the NBA doesn't mean he's infallible, and that applies to any and every profession in the world. Otherwise, opinions and forums such as this wouldn't exist. So Mike D'Antoni shouldn't be held accountable for being a terrible coach? Don Nelson was great too, let's ignore the fact that he just put out wacky lineups all the time and was a trainwreck the last few years of his career. Let's not criticize politicians, since we aren't as qualified as them or with as many accolades. Athletes? We'll never be on the same plane of talent, let's not talk about them. Musical artists? Nah, give them a free pass for a crappy product, since we aren't musically gifted. It's a horrible, horrible argument you're trying to present.

Do your handle some justice and actually demonstrate some basketball IQ, otherwise fall back and understand that talking down to someone younger than you doesn't work if you continue to present horrid arguments time and time again. It's insulting.

#85 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted August 11, 2013 - 01:39 AM

I just don't see how after losing Clark, Metta, and Dwight Howard and replacing them with Wesley Johnson, Nick Young, and Chris Kaman we're going to be better defensively. Kobe can only play solid defense for 2-3 possession spurts. Nash has never played defense and now he's another year older and still just as injury prone as he was the last few years. Chris Kaman is okay, but defensively he'll never come close to filling Dwight Howard's shoes.

Will adding Rambis suddenly make us better defensively? When he coached the T-wolves they were 29th and 30th in opponents ppg. Worst in the league. I understand those teams sucked, but how much better are we than them as far as defensive personnel goes?

I actually like the additions we made, I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just looking at the facts though, and what I see in front of me is an ancient, injury-prone core led by Mike D'Antoni and surrounded by average role players. I like Jordan Hill, Kaman is decent, Nick Young can maybe provide some offense, inconsistently. But that isn't good enough to make me optimistic about this season.

No Dwight. No Metta. No Clark. Aside from Hill and occasionally Kobe, where will the defense come from?

defense is weighed on heavily by offensive execution and their perimeter d couldnt have been much worse anyways. kobe is a big if but getting a bit of youth could help them and rambis might aid to that as well.
sheer necessity might play a factor as well because of what they lost in paint defense lol.

look at it this way, either they do well and provide some good entertainment or mda gets fired. no metta no dwight no clark true, but they werent winning a title with them either way.

This season is a stepping stone and the sooner people realize that the sooner they can stop whining about it. people should be more concerned where the game changing fa's are gonna come from next year. well the lakers should have some easy games with teams in the running for wiggins, thats gonna be one hell of a race lol.
Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#86 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted August 11, 2013 - 01:54 AM

Defense, quickness, athleticism, inside dominance, P&R coverage, the list goes on and on.

He doesn't score as much as Dwight (or get as many attempts) nor does he shoot anywhere near as much from the FT line for that to be a relevant factor. He's averaged a little under 2 FTA per game the last 3 years, whereas Dwight has MADE on average about 6 per game in that same time. FT percentage isn't the only factor, the volume of attempts is more relevant in the majority of cases.

I really don't see a game ever coming down to Chris Kaman making free throws. If he's played big minutes to that point, we're probably already down 15+ from the number of lay-ups we've given up.

kaman will not be the starting center like dwight was so paus possible gain in effectiveness for himself and the offense in general is more important than a stat or skills comparison of kaman and dwight.

i agree on the low expectations in this stepping stone season but teamwork alone could be a big improvment for a team that for various reasons lacked in that department.

turns out last season was a stepping stone as well, at least they are a year closer to whatever awaits them in free agency or otherwise.

Edited by SweatShop, August 11, 2013 - 01:55 AM.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#87 Harry Styles

Harry Styles

King of Hearts

• 1,448 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 11, 2013 - 10:04 AM

BasketballIQ should just stop posting after that post by L.A.K.E.R  :laughing:. He tore him a new one..

#88 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,795 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 10:20 AM

kaman will not be the starting center like dwight was so paus possible gain in effectiveness for himself and the offense in general is more important than a stat or skills comparison of kaman and dwight.

i agree on the low expectations in this stepping stone season but teamwork alone could be a big improvment for a team that for various reasons lacked in that department.

turns out last season was a stepping stone as well, at least they are a year closer to whatever awaits them in free agency or otherwise.

Well, that doesn't really change the fact that our defense takes a massive hit due to the sheer drop in talent. Even if Dwight was disinterested and dogging it on the floor, he was still 10x the defender that Pau was. Offense isn't the most important thing, you can always score. The question is if you can keep the other team from scoring, and we don't have the personnel to handle the majority of other teams. We just don't have good defenders on this team at all. We can score 110 a night, but it makes no difference if we're giving up 120.

The issue here is that even if we improve with chemistry and teamwork and other intangibles, we can't match up talent-wise with the good squads out West. The skills of Dwight and Kaman are definitely relevant here because we need to look at what we've gained (better FT shooting, better jump shooting) versus what we've lost (defense, athleticism, quickness, dominance). Other teams have too many advantages against us on a position by position basis. The big picture is that anytime on the defensive end, we're going to have some combination of Farmar/Blake/Nash alongside Kaman/Gasol covering the high pick and roll. Against any speedy or athletic PG, we're going to be burnt really REALLY  badly once they free themselves up. Our bigs won't be able to rotate down and cover the drive, thus either conceding easy baskets or forcing a perimeter player to collapse inside for help coverage and then leading to a kick-out to an open shooter. And this is just the most basic of plays. Teams with actual offensive schemes will be really tough to handle.

I don't think we'll see much of an improvement from Pau because he is who he is at this point. I've seen far too many excuses for him over the last three years and I just won't buy it anymore. He's disinterested in posting up, and that's not due to Dwight or Bynum the last three years. People can try and make that excuse when he's on the floor alongside them, but it doesn't work because neither was so damn big that they'd cover the paint on their own (ala Shaq). And then how about when both Bynum and Dwight would rest for stretches and Pau was at center? Naturally, you'd assume that he'd start posting up and being more effective but that wasn't the case at all. He'd just do the same exact things he was doing alongside another center.

It's a mental thing at this point, there's no reason why Pau can't play the post effectively the entire game. He still has one of the best post-games in the entire league when he decides to be aggressive. The problem is that something went funny with him midway through the '10-11 season and we've had this same Pau Gasol who'd rather shoot jumpers or post up then shoot awkward fadeaway jumpers yelling really loudly for the foul call.

Honestly, after losing Dwight, I think we're going to be in a rut for a few years barring some massive signings next summer or a blockbuster deal. You don't bounce back from losing a superstar for nothing so quickly.

#89 PurPnYellowLaker

PurPnYellowLaker

Rookie

• 463 posts
  • Name:alejandro
  • Fan Since:platon
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted August 11, 2013 - 10:57 AM

We couldnt even stop the other teams from scoring with dwight! Lol so at least lets try to balance it out with scoring. Honestly last year I dont know how many times my family who hardly watch would say bynum was way better. Yes I agree dwight was hurt. But even when hes not his offense is horrible. And he goaltends like 50 peecent of the time .

#90 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,849 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 11:10 AM

Just of the top of my head, Brooks made adjustments against Phil Jax when we were up 2-0 and started 10-0 in Game 3 of the 2010 first round and the series went a tough 6.
Then again against the Spurs they were down 0-2 in the 2012 WCF.

Fall back. You need perspective young man. You have knowledge but lack experience. Brooks has that and then some.

The Thunder aren't built right but they have talent and he has made Durant look like a winning player by taking those pieces and allowing them
To flourish.

#91 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,795 posts

Posted August 11, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Sorry Mrs. Brooks, your son is perfect. Please forgive me.

#92 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,732 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:21 AM

Negativity? Just the opposite. We got rid of NBA's most overrated player ever: Dwight Howard. 

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#93 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:32 AM

Please stop.  We are worst off w/o him

Negativity? Just the opposite. We got rid of NBA's most overrated player ever: Dwight Howard. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#94 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,849 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:39 AM

Just of the top of my head, Brooks made adjustments against Phil Jax when we were up 2-0 and started 10-0 in Game 3 of the 2010 first round and the series went a tough 6.
Then again against the Spurs they were down 0-2 in the 2012 WCF.

Fall back. You need perspective young man. You have knowledge but lack experience. Brooks has that and then some.

The Thunder aren't built right but they have talent and he has made Durant look like a winning player by taking those pieces and allowing them
To flourish.

Adjustments

And your age is relevant brah.

Hell is a guy not even 23( which means you don't even know LIFE), how are you a more knowledgable basketball person than Scott Brooks.

It makes zero sense.

As smart as you and Real are, that's what Brooks WAS, before he was a head coach.

Do you get that real life and theory are different.

You aren't even a rookie player, and he is a veteran coach.

He knows his team, the players and the league.

that's my point. I dgaf about your ego being hurt. you're a kid. He's a man.

He's 40. lol

#95 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,649 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:41 AM

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#96 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,066 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:41 AM

Pau Gasol is still on this roster

Pau Gasol is GONE

#97 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,363 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:48 AM

Adjustments

Hell is a guy not even 23( which means you don't even know LIFE), how are you a more knowledgable basketball person than Scott Brooks.

It makes zero sense.

As smart as you and Real are, that's what Brooks WAS, before he was a head coach.

He's 40. lol

thats a fallacy, just because brooks is a head coach that does not make him inmune to our critics, by your logic every politician is inmune to our critique because they have years invested in the system and the people does not.

age does not make you flawless (pop is great example)

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#98 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,624 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:04 AM

BB IQ if you even want to call him that said that KD is just a black Dirk...pretty much going to disregard anything he says from here on out...

Edited by Jody Smokes, August 12, 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#99 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,542 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:18 AM

black Dirk...

what..?

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#100 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,795 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Adjustments

It makes zero sense.

He's 40. lol

Well then why even have a basketball forum open for discussion, and why post here at all? If everyone is immune to criticism, why have opinions?

I don't give a damn how old he is, do you really not see the logical fallacy in this argument you're trying to present? You're basically saying oh, you're too young and haven't been through the same stuff as him, he's older than you, don't criticize him. By that logic, no one should ever criticize another person who's putting forth a less than stellar effort (in any job or profession) if they're older than them and/or more experienced. Thus Magic Johnson becomes immune to criticism despite making outrageously stupid statements every other ESPN halftime just because he's played professional basketball. Forget criticizing Michael Jordan's horrible decisions as an owner because, obviously, I've never owned a multi-million dollar sports franchise, what do I know? Oh man, Miley Cyrus is such a trainwreck right now, but wait, I shouldn't call her out. I've never been a teenage star of a Disney sitcom. I don't know what she's been through. The struggle is real.

Theory is applied to real life every day, and we're not talking about something complex like organic chemistry or neurological brain science. This is basketball, a game that revolves around putting a ball through a hoop. It doesn't take much to understand the game nor analyze it effectively. You don't need to be a professional basketball player or super-athlete to understand how and why the game works the way it does. Why do you think that so many great players from NBA history don't translate into great coaches? If things worked the way that you seem to be implying, then every great player should be great in some coaching or organizational job in the NBA because they know the game and are familiar with it. But that's not the case at all the majority of the time. It's not the great players who understand the absolutely intricacies and translate it to a coaching platform, it's the roleplayers who aren't as gifted physically that spend all their time and effort going through theory and improving little by little.

You have no point, that's the issue here. You're sidestepping every point I've made and picking and choosing what you want to respond to. And the "argument" you've presented so far is that I'm young, therefore my points are irrelevant and I shouldn't criticize because I don't know life. It might be time to go back inside, I think recess is over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users