Why the negativity?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,572 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:05 AM

It seems most people think we won't do well this season. Barring health I really don't see a team worse than last year. I feel overall we have upgraded. We lost some names but gained some Ballers.  Ballers playing with something personal on the line and a chip on their shoulders. Barring injury I think we got younger and better. MWP Jamison Duhan and Ebanks were all washed up. I think Johnson, Farmar and Young are tremendous upgrades. We lost that guy #12 and we lost 23 14 and 3. We gained 16 8 and 2 with Kaman (when healthy) Pau will be better 20 and 10, Nash will be better and Jordan Hill will be better and as weird as MDA is, he has defensive help on his staff now and a full training camp. Help me understand how we suck, we're going to miss the playoffs, we're tanking and all that BS. I personally think this is a .500+ team without Kobe. God help other teams if he takes his time and comes back healthy

I think Johnson, Farmar and Young all washed up.

Fixed. Not to disagree with you. If your confident thats cool. Nothing is certain. But imo not winning the West is probable and missing the playoffs entirely is possible. And even if we make the bottom playoff seeds were a 1st round exit. Were now kinda like the Hawks.

The Hawks make the playoffs every year. They have a good athletic and young core of players that perform. But everyone knows their just not over the hump in terms of winning the East or even the 2nd round.

Thats how I feel about LA this year. Were rebuilding and losing is part of the process. So I'm happy with that. I only wish we would just face the bitter truth and just pan the entire damn season to get higher draft picks.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#22 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:07 AM

I don't think this roster is any worse or better than last year's results. But I think they'll be more exciting to watch this time around.

#23 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 322 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted August 09, 2013 - 09:08 AM

I look at the team, its record in 2013, then look at the trades we made and ask myself whether the Lakers improved or not. Hopefully you like to see improvement in a couple of positions.

PG:  Nash.  No improvement.  Hopefully he will stay healthy.  He is still a defensive liability

Center:  Chris Kaman.  Two big steps back.

Power Forward:  Pao Gasol.  No Improvement.  He is still a good solid player, though.

Small Forward:    Nick Young.  One step back.

Shooting Guard;  Kobe Bryant for last half of the season.  No improvement.

Add all this up, and it would be a small miracle if the Lakers could repeat their sub-par performance from last year.  I'm not sure the above team even makes the playoffs. 

#24 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 420 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted August 09, 2013 - 10:10 AM

Nice post kudos to the OP. Here's my take: 1- The media and pundits love to bag the Lakers. That's the old bad news sells better than good news gimmick. 2- I think we will be better than last year and exceed expectations this year, a competitive 2nd round exit. 3- Dwight Howard was a cancer. His juice wasn't worth the squeeze IMHO.

#25 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 09, 2013 - 10:32 AM

2- I think we will be better than last year and exceed expectations this year, a competitive 2nd round exit.

This is what happens to your franchise when you give the keys to a coach like Mike D'Antoni. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#26 TronVader

TronVader

Rookie

• 279 posts
  • Name:Tron
  • Fan Since:Conception
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted August 09, 2013 - 10:59 AM

MDA is 1-14 in his last 15 playoff games. Enough mentioned.

Imagine an strange child who's punching you and your expecting to beat that if you will get serious

Wut

#27 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,553 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 09, 2013 - 11:00 AM

I personally have never been so excited for a Laker season.  Going into last year I had lots of expectations, and maybe to many.  This year however I feel like its a fresh start and a transition period for the franchise.  We have to come to realize that with Kobe, Pau, and Nash aging we have to click to reset button eventually and sooner is better than later.  The front office has placed the team in a great situation for next years free agency and has made simply but effective additions for this year as well.  All in all I'm just going to expect the worst and hope for the best this season.  It'll be interesting watching an offense that is primed for MDA though despite the lack luster defense haha

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#28 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,504 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 09, 2013 - 11:21 AM

I love to have debates on forums.  The only issue that I have especially on this one since it is based on one fan base is that a lot of guys do not know how to debate logically and objectively.  Instead of refuting your statements with facts and educated opinions they would rather accuse you of being an undercover Laker hater. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#29 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 420 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted August 09, 2013 - 11:58 AM

2- I think we will be better than last year and exceed expectations this year, a competitive 2nd round exit.

This is what happens to your franchise when you give the keys to a coach like Mike D'Antoni. 

Sad but true..

#30 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,570 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted August 09, 2013 - 12:41 PM

Last year everyone was crying that we were too old so we got some younger players who can run & score. At least we did that. 

2hf753r.jpg

#31 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,108 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 09, 2013 - 12:53 PM

Last year everyone was crying that we were too old so we got some younger players who can run & score. At least we did that. 

but now that's not good enough apparently cause they aren't all known as lockdown defenders ;)

A new complaint will be added as soon as the Lakers fix an initial complaint.

Complaints
-We're too old
- We have no real scorers other than Kobe
- we have no viable backup center
- we need a younger point guard that can push the pace
- we need to get younger on the wing
- Kobe plays too many minutes!
- We need to get deeper so our older players can rest!

Lakers
+ Adds young players
+ Gets Nick Young
+ Gets Chris Kaman
+ Gets Jordan Farmar
+ Gets Wesley Johnson
+ 3/4 are in their 20s
+ Get two additional players deep at the positions of our older players(2 shooting guards, 2 point guards, viable backup center)  thus ensuring less minutes for our three oldest positions in our starting lineup
+ Coach intends to run 11-12 players deep because of our newly found depth

Wild new complaint appears
- Well yeah..but they aren't lockdown defenders!!!

Lakers
+ Adds Kurt Rambis to coaching staff

Wild New complaint appears
- Uh....uh... he won't do anything!!!!

Lakers
+ Rolls eyes

Edited by Majesty, August 09, 2013 - 12:56 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#32 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,570 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted August 09, 2013 - 01:06 PM

It goes back to the old complaint...

New+Laker+head+coach+Mike+D_Antoni+conte

2hf753r.jpg

#33 zombeef

zombeef

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 09, 2013 - 01:08 PM

I love to have debates on forums.  The only issue that I have especially on this one since it is based on one fan base is that a lot of guys do not know how to debate logically and objectively.  Instead of refuting your statements with facts and educated opinions they would rather accuse you of being an undercover Laker hater. 

To be completely fair, you've accused Majesty of displaying fake optimism not too long ago. You like to dish as much as everybody else. 

#34 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted August 09, 2013 - 01:23 PM

The days of Gasol getting 20 and 10 are long gone. I'm getting tired of all his "I was frustrated, I felt out of position, blah blah" bull[expletive].  Kaman won't get enough minutes to put up 16 and 8 and to be honest I doubt he would  given the chance. Johnson is a bust and Young is an inefficient shot jacker. I don't see how a 40 year old Nash will be any better. D'Antoni's so called "defensive help" led his team to the worst defense in the league with capable defenders on his team. Farmar and Jordan Hill show potential I will give you that. With the upgrades made with other teams in the West and other teams getting healthier, a playoff berth doesn't look imminent. And even if we made it,getting swept in the 1st round doesn't sound so great to me.

pau finished the season with 3 triple doubles in 5 or 6 games and has been out of position for a long time. he's not perfect but he is still one of the best big men in the game and still has a skill set that is unheard of in todays game.

young might be a jacker but he is also a guy that can get his own shots or shots for others, you have to have that. stats can change while talent and ability doesnt magically flow out of someones cornhole.

wes is not a bust, maybe not the best use of a #4 dp but def not a bust. dude has only been in the league 3 years and its not his fault he was drafted early. morrison was a bust

Look how bad things were last season and they still made the playoffs so its hardly an unbelievable notion to repeat that fate, first round exit or not. its not all about this player is better than that player or this roster is better than that one, things like time and training camp can have a profound impact. They have def lost some defensive paint presence with d and e but they should be a better fit in some ways with what danotoni wants to do-- for better or worse.

They are not winning any titles but you cant win them every damn year. they made pretty sound acquisitions as far as basketball and business in concerned. They have a decent team that can be entertaining and contend on a nightly basis and have the potential to turn a few younger players.

people are too damn spoiled, they will be in the running soon enough. if they do poorly, maybe mda gets fired, its not the end of the world.

Edited by SweatShop, August 09, 2013 - 01:29 PM.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#35 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,108 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 09, 2013 - 01:26 PM

It goes back to the old complaint...

New+Laker+head+coach+Mike+D_Antoni+conte

Complaint:
- He doesn't care about defense and has no idea how to even coach it!

Lakers:
+ Hires Kurt Rambis

Complaint:

- He'll make us run 7 seconds or less!!
- Well... with Gasol he's going to-

Lakers:
+ Plans to use Gasol in the post, elbow, high block, low block, and in the pick and roll as well as a facilitating playmaker.  All of which are his greatest strengths.
+ Plans to run a horns set with Gasol and Kaman which is the best for BOTH of them
+ Entire roster is set around maximizing the effectiveness of his half-court system without making the guys have to run all night

+ On Record saying Lakers won't be running "7 seconds or less" and that if they do "run" it will be very slowly
+ Said in a radio interview it's more important to him that we become a good defensive team as he's sure we'll score
+ Gave full defensive reigns to Rambis so he can focus on the offense
+ On record saying he'll compromise and run some triangle

Complaint:
- Well.. he doesn't have a point guard that can push pace the way he wants!!!
- We don't have Sessions!!!

Lakers:
+ Has Jordan Farmar for the moments he wants to push tempo
+ Farmar is well versed in pick and roll and worked exclusively on defense overseas and is younger than as well as a better shooter than Sessions

Complaint:
- WHO CARES!!!! HE'S STILL D'ANTONI!! HE'S THE PROBLEM WITH EVERYTHING!!! HE'S NEVER WON A CHAMPIONSHIP!!! WE'LL SUCK BECAUSE OF HIM AND IT'S ALL THE FRONT OFFICE'S FAULT!!! GAAAAH!!!!!!

Lakers(Kobe):
- Rolls eyes

Edited by Majesty, August 09, 2013 - 01:29 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#36 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted August 09, 2013 - 01:45 PM

Nice posts majesty.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#37 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,616 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted August 09, 2013 - 01:45 PM

I just don't see how after losing Clark, Metta, and Dwight Howard and replacing them with Wesley Johnson, Nick Young, and Chris Kaman we're going to be better defensively. Kobe can only play solid defense for 2-3 possession spurts. Nash has never played defense and now he's another year older and still just as injury prone as he was the last few years. Chris Kaman is okay, but defensively he'll never come close to filling Dwight Howard's shoes.

Will adding Rambis suddenly make us better defensively? When he coached the T-wolves they were 29th and 30th in opponents ppg. Worst in the league. I understand those teams sucked, but how much better are we than them as far as defensive personnel goes?

I actually like the additions we made, I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just looking at the facts though, and what I see in front of me is an ancient, injury-prone core led by Mike D'Antoni and surrounded by average role players. I like Jordan Hill, Kaman is decent, Nick Young can maybe provide some offense, inconsistently. But that isn't good enough to make me optimistic about this season.

No Dwight. No Metta. No Clark. Aside from Hill and occasionally Kobe, where will the defense come from?

#38 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,504 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 01:46 PM

Sure did and I stand by that.  It was a diss but I respect his ability to articulate his positions as well.  Nothing wrong with taking digs every now and then but you have to be able to add bball related value to the debate.

To be completely fair, you've accused Majesty of displaying fake optimism not too long ago. You like to dish as much as everybody else. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#39 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,504 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 01:49 PM

I think there are 2 types to discuss.  Some guys are just complaining to complain, its what they do.  I think the Lakers made good moves for a franchise that is trying to win an 7th or 8th seed and did what they could.  What gets overlooked is that if they had made other moves they wouldnt have to make the moves they had to make this offseason. 

It's not complaining if guys don't think the this team can compete for a championship let alone the 8th seed in the West

Complaint:
- He doesn't care about defense and has no idea how to even coach it!

Lakers:
+ Hires Kurt Rambis

Complaint:

- He'll make us run 7 seconds or less!!
- Well... with Gasol he's going to-

Lakers:
+ Plans to use Gasol in the post, elbow, high block, low block, and in the pick and roll as well as a facilitating playmaker.  All of which are his greatest strengths.
+ Plans to run a horns set with Gasol and Kaman which is the best for BOTH of them
+ Entire roster is set around maximizing the effectiveness of his half-court system without making the guys have to run all night

+ On Record saying Lakers won't be running "7 seconds or less" and that if they do "run" it will be very slowly
+ Said in a radio interview it's more important to him that we become a good defensive team as he's sure we'll score
+ Gave full defensive reigns to Rambis so he can focus on the offense
+ On record saying he'll compromise and run some triangle

Complaint:
- Well.. he doesn't have a point guard that can push pace the way he wants!!!
- We don't have Sessions!!!

Lakers:
+ Has Jordan Farmar for the moments he wants to push tempo
+ Farmar is well versed in pick and roll and worked exclusively on defense overseas and is younger than as well as a better shooter than Sessions

Complaint:
- WHO CARES!!!! HE'S STILL D'ANTONI!! HE'S THE PROBLEM WITH EVERYTHING!!! HE'S NEVER WON A CHAMPIONSHIP!!! WE'LL SUCK BECAUSE OF HIM AND IT'S ALL THE FRONT OFFICE'S FAULT!!! GAAAAH!!!!!!

Lakers(Kobe):
- Rolls eyes

#40 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,825 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted August 09, 2013 - 02:34 PM

This false sense of hope reminds me of the 2004-2005 season. I was there for opening night when Chris Mihn had a nice performance. Everyone was talking about how we were better without shaq. Team sucked. The lakers will probably not be better, short-term, without Howard. Long term they should be fine. I doubt that dantoni and the dudes on one year contracts will set the world in fire. Conversely I don't think the lakers will be the Los Angeles generals. Lakers make the 7-8 seed if they are lucky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users